PDA

View Full Version : Now Barkley Won't Throw At Combine

Night Train
02-18-2013, 06:41 AM
http://espn.go.com/nfl/draft2013/story/_/id/8958710/usc-trojans-matt-barkley-throw-nfl-combine-sources-say

Not completely healed .

DraftBoy
02-18-2013, 06:53 AM
Not a huge surprise. He'll win the interview and white board session though.

ThunderGun
02-18-2013, 08:40 AM
Good, now maybe people will stop with this "draft Barkley @ 8" nonsense. Just too many ?'s

Bangarang
02-18-2013, 08:43 AM
Good, now maybe people will stop with this "draft Barkley @ 8" nonsense. Just too many ?'s

You do know this doesn't mean much and he'll likely impress scouts throwing at his pro day.

Barkley's stock will rise.

better days
02-18-2013, 08:47 AM
You do know this doesn't mean much and he'll likely impress scouts throwing at his pro day.

I doubt he impresses scouts at his pro day all that much. His arm is just not that good.

Pinkerton Security
02-18-2013, 10:14 AM
Id love him if he was there for us in the 2nd round.

mjt328
02-18-2013, 12:12 PM
I doubt he impresses scouts at his pro day all that much. His arm is just not that good.

I've brought this up before and nobody responded.

Please give ANY examples that Matt Barkley does not have a strong arm...

This is a ridiculous myth that I have been hearing since about mid-way through the college season. I've been watching the guy play for almost 3 years now. His arm is MORE than strong enough for the NFL. He can make all the throws - short, deep, sideline - at least as well as anyone in this draft class. And it's at least as strong as Andrew Luck's.

Here is the example I posted a month ago:
http://draftbreakdown.com/matt-barkley-vs-oregon-2012
Go to :17 seconds in. Barkley throws a perfect bomb 45 yards for a touchdown without even winding up. Then at 2:40, he throws a perfect completion 60 yards in the air.

If you want to criticize his decision making...fine. If you want to criticize his lack of improvement over 2012...fine.

But just stop with this "weak arm" crap. It's just stupid.

better days
02-18-2013, 12:14 PM

This is a ridiculous myth that I have been hearing since about mid-way through the college season. I've been watching the guy play for almost 3 years now. His arm is MORE than strong enough for the NFL. He can make all the throws - short, deep, sideline - at least as well as anyone in this draft class. And it's at least as strong as Andrew Luck's.

Go to :17 seconds in. Barkley throws a perfect bomb 45 yards for a touchdown without even winding up. Then at 2:40, he throws a perfect completion 60 yards in the air.

If you want to criticize his decision making...fine. If you want to criticize his lack of improvement over 2012...fine.

Well, his arm is NOT all that strong according to MANY experts. And according to experts, he was throwing a football that was not fully inflated because of his small hand size.

braddavery
02-18-2013, 12:44 PM
Well, his arm is NOT all that strong according to MANY experts.

Show us who and where this has been said.

OpIv37
02-18-2013, 01:01 PM
Well, his arm is NOT all that strong according to MANY experts. And according to experts, he was throwing a football that was not fully inflated because of his small hand size.

In a game? The refs and the other teams let him get away with that?

I'm not one to defend Barkley. I don't think he's the right QB for the Bills and as a ND fan, I can't stand USC. But come on-mjt posted game video. There's no way he used an under-inflated ball.

IlluminatusUIUC
02-18-2013, 01:17 PM
In a game? The refs and the other teams let him get away with that?

I'm not one to defend Barkley. I don't think he's the right QB for the Bills and as a ND fan, I can't stand USC. But come on-mjt posted game video. There's no way he used an under-inflated ball.

It's true, it actually did happen (http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2012/11/08/usc-fires-student-manager-for-underinflating-game-balls-during-game-against-oregon/)

Unfortunately, they apparently gave the underinflated balls to Oregon, who laid out the worst offensive ass-beating in school history.

OpIv37
02-18-2013, 01:25 PM
I stand corrected.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised that USC cheated.

better days
02-18-2013, 01:28 PM
Show us who and where this has been said.

Google & Bing are both VERY good, try them & see which you prefer.

braddavery
02-18-2013, 01:31 PM
Google & Bing are both VERY good, try them & see which you prefer.

Why would I have to prove YOUR statement. lol

YardRat
02-18-2013, 01:34 PM
Don't they still use specific balls for each team, and 'k' balls for the kickers, at the pro level?

better days
02-18-2013, 01:35 PM
Why would I have to prove YOUR statement. lol

You don't have to prove my statement. I don't either. Like I said a number of experts have questioned Barkleys arm strength, not one or two, but a NUMBER of them. If you don't believe me, it is easy to look up.

DraftBoy
02-18-2013, 01:36 PM

With Barkley's body of work that's almost impossible. His Pro Day will be to make sure he only had a separated shoulder and this his reps aren't hiding a worse injury.

DraftBoy
02-18-2013, 01:40 PM
Don't they still use specific balls for each team, and 'k' balls for the kickers, at the pro level?

Not sure, I know the home team is responsible for having extras in case of bad weather or if something happens to the regular game balls.

JoeMama
02-18-2013, 01:42 PM
http://espn.go.com/nfl/draft2013/story/_/id/8958710/usc-trojans-matt-barkley-throw-nfl-combine-sources-say

Not completely healed .

That actually works out well for Barkley.

It's never too soon to NOT prepare to throw in the pros. He's not going to make it in the NFL anyway.

braddavery
02-18-2013, 01:42 PM
Like I said a number of experts have questioned Barkleys arm strength, not one or two, but a NUMBER of them.

Who?

DraftBoy
02-18-2013, 01:44 PM
Who?

Mayock, Kiper, McShay, Nawrocki, Lande, Pauline, and then the internet people as well.

YardRat
02-18-2013, 01:45 PM

Not being a dick, but arm strength is so much more than how far downfield he can throw, and the second example cited he basically lofted the ball to an open area and let the WR run to it...you'll notice he had to adjust his route across the hashes after the ball is thrown.

Just for giggles, here's the analysis from CBSSports...

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1664140/matt-barkley

While he's not quite Andrew Luck, when breaking down Barkley it is clear he does so many of the "little" things well, like rolling either to his left or right and consistently firing accurate passes on the move or freezing the safeties by looking one direction and passing the other..

Some will knock his size, "average" arm strength or the fact that he has never faced SEC competition. While Barkley is a touch shorter than scouts would prefer, I've had numerous sources who saw him in person at the Manning Passing Academy tell me he showed greater zip than expected, though I'd like to see him improve his accuracy on the deep ball.

Barkley can only play the opponents his team has scheduled and with the Trojans ineligible for bowl games over the past two seasons, he's been limited in the number of differing teams he's faced. Mobile, accurate and, perhaps most importantly to success in the NFL -- incredibly poised -- Barkley walks into the 2012 college football season as the top prospect in the country.

braddavery
02-18-2013, 01:46 PM
Mayock, Kiper, McShay, Nawrocki, Lande, Pauline, and then the internet people as well.

Do you have a link, or are you just throwing out names?

DraftBoy
02-18-2013, 01:47 PM
Do you have a link, or are you just throwing out names?

This is what I do part time on the side, I'm not just throwing out names.

better days
02-18-2013, 01:55 PM
Not being a dick, but arm strength is so much more than how far downfield he can throw, and the second example cited he basically lofted the ball to an open area and let the WR run to it...you'll notice he had to adjust his route across the hashes after the ball is thrown.

Just for giggles, here's the analysis from CBSSports...

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1664140/matt-barkley

While he's not quite Andrew Luck, when breaking down Barkley it is clear he does so many of the "little" things well, like rolling either to his left or right and consistently firing accurate passes on the move or freezing the safeties by looking one direction and passing the other..

Some will knock his size, "average" arm strength or the fact that he has never faced SEC competition. While Barkley is a touch shorter than scouts would prefer, I've had numerous sources who saw him in person at the Manning Passing Academy tell me he showed greater zip than expected, though I'd like to see him improve his accuracy on the deep ball.

Barkley can only play the opponents his team has scheduled and with the Trojans ineligible for bowl games over the past two seasons, he's been limited in the number of differing teams he's faced. Mobile, accurate and, perhaps most importantly to success in the NFL -- incredibly poised -- Barkley walks into the 2012 college football season as the top prospect in the country.

"Barkley walks into the 2012 college football season as the top prospect in the Country."........................but he did not walk out that way.

And the clip used in the post you replied to, the ball was underinflated without question.

And now with a shoulder injury to boot. At best Barkley is like Chad Pennington, a good QB who had the little arm strength he had dimminished by injury, but he is probably more like Matt Leinart or Mark Sanchez.

DraftBoy
02-18-2013, 02:01 PM
"Barkley walks into the 2012 college football season as the top prospect in the Country."........................but he did not walk out that way.

And the clip used in the post you replied to, the ball was underinflated without question.

And now with a shoulder injury to boot. At best Barkley is like Chad Pennington, a good QB who had the little arm strength he had dimminished by injury, but he is probably more like Matt Leinart or Mark Sanchez.

He's better than Pennington, he's actually very comparable to Fitz with better athleticism and anticipation. He may not be able to carry a team to a win but he could be a very productive QB like an Andy Dalton or Matt Schaub.

better days
02-18-2013, 02:07 PM
He's better than Pennington, he's actually very comparable to Fitz with better athleticism and anticipation. He may not be able to carry a team to a win but he could be a very productive QB like an Andy Dalton or Matt Schaub.

So you are saying Fitz is better than Pennington in his prime? I disagree with that. I also disagree that he will be as good as Dalton or Schaub. He has not done much of anything against GOOD defenses & that was in College. If the Cards draft him, wait until he faces the Seahawks & 49ers defense.

braddavery
02-18-2013, 02:16 PM
After some research, it does seem the general consensus on Barkley's arm is that he can make all the required throws, but he doesn't possess elite arm strength.

better days
02-18-2013, 02:38 PM
After some research, it does seem the general consensus on Barkley's arm is that he can make all the required throws, but he doesn't possess elite arm strength.

Yeah, pretty much Chad Pennington. And injuries reduced the arm strength Pennington did have. With Barkley already suffering from a shoulder injury before he ever takes an NFL snap, I'm sure that will be a red flag for teams.

IlluminatusUIUC
02-18-2013, 02:55 PM
I stand corrected.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised that USC cheated.

For god's sakes, they had a backup QB trade numbers with a punter so that they could run a fake FG against Colorado. A team they were expected to (and did) beat by multiple TDs. They cheat just to cheat out there.

DraftBoy
02-18-2013, 02:57 PM
So you are saying Fitz is better than Pennington in his prime? I disagree with that. I also disagree that he will be as good as Dalton or Schaub. He has not done much of anything against GOOD defenses & that was in College. If the Cards draft him, wait until he faces the Seahawks & 49ers defense.

Yes I am. Barkley will be as good as the system he's put into. In a quick read and throw system he will be pretty good. If he has to take 5-7 step drops, scan the field and deliver, he's going to struggle.

- - - Updated - - -

For god's sakes, they had a backup QB trade numbers with a punter so that they could run a fake FG against Colorado. A team they were expected to (and did) beat by multiple TDs. They cheat just to cheat out there.

They have Lane Kiffin as their coach, cheating is just assumed.

TigerJ
02-18-2013, 03:13 PM

But just stop with this "weak arm" crap. It's just stupid.The "arm" is pretty hard to guage. As near as I can figure, from all I've read, he doesn't have a great arm, but neither is he in the category of a "noodle arm." The comparison I'd make is Drew Brees. Brees wasn't thought of as having a great arm when he came out of college, but most would say he's had a pretty good career. (the understatement is intentional) This is a little more of an issue in that Ralph Wilson Stadium would seem to favor strong armed QBs with it's swirling winds and challenging late season conditions. Brees' greatest success came when he arrived in New Orleans' domed stadium. I'm not opposed to the Bills drafting Barkley, if Nix and Marrone think his arm is addequate for what he'd be asked to do, but I also could see if they think it's enough of a factor to look in a different direction

SaviorEdwards
02-18-2013, 03:22 PM
Smart decision on his part...anyone who is interested in him will be at his pro day.

better days
02-18-2013, 04:22 PM
Smart decision on his part...anyone who is interested in him will be at his pro day.

Even those not interested in him will be there. I think him not throwing at the Combine is his agent not wanting to further have him damage his reputation throwing in unfamiliar conditions. He is supposed to be 90% now. In the NFL how many games do you think a QB plays at 100%?

At his Pro day EVERYTHING will be controlled by Barkley & his people.

fluteflakes
02-18-2013, 05:19 PM

Well, to be frank no, he can't make "all" the throws. He can make MOST throws, but, like Andrew Luck, he doesn't have the arm that you'd need to say, throw a deep out or a sideline out.

Those deep, small window throws he's going to struggle with in the NFL. He's got serviceable arm strength but I wouldn't classify him as being able to make all the throws. There are just routes and patterns you'd have to take out of your playbook for him, and that's not a positive.

Mike
02-18-2013, 07:46 PM
According Mike Mayock, Barkley can make all of the throws. His arm is good, his touch is good, as is his accuracy. Mayock has him rated as the second best QB in this class. I would love him in the second round, but that might be a pipe dream.

All great players have down years. Last year might have been his down year and that represents a an opportunity to draft him. Sure he is no Luck or RG3 however he would have been a top 10 pick and the 3rd QB taken in last years draft. If he shined this past year, the Bills would have had no chance to draft him, however due to his injury and down year they do. Now, they have to decide how good he really is. What is his potential and what level is he really at?

Mike
02-18-2013, 07:50 PM

To your credit, Mike Mayock said the same exact thing. Barkley can make ALL of the Throws. His arm is good. No doubt about it, now is the time to decide his value as a football player. He would one of my top QB choices and I dont mind getting him at 8, trading down in the first round, or second round. What people fail to realize is that if he had a great season the Bills would have zero chance of drafting him, now at least that option is open.

The Jokeman
02-18-2013, 07:51 PM
Yes I am. Barkley will be as good as the system he's put into. In a quick read and throw system he will be pretty good. If he has to take 5-7 step drops, scan the field and deliver, he's going to struggle.

- - - Updated - - -

They have Lane Kiffin as their coach, cheating is just assumed.

I haven't really studied the Syracuse offense but everything I read about it makes it sounds like it was WCOesque which tells me it could be the quick strike offense you speak of. Yet I don't think we have the talent at WR or TE to make it work. So I say pass on Barkley Round 1 (instead take Patterson) and then see what's out there in Round 2. Yet one thing that concerns me is if Buddy ever draft based on coaches input or not as it seems like he doesn't and knowing Buddy likes big mobile QBs from what heard a few years ago it could mean EJ Manuel could be our guy even though Nassib might be better suited to run the Marrone offense.

Mr. Pink
02-18-2013, 08:29 PM
I wouldn't even want any part of Barkley if he was still there in the 5th.

Let some other team make the mistake of drafting him.

fluteflakes
02-18-2013, 08:33 PM
I just think he's nothing more than another Jimmy Clausen.

A guy all the Mayocks and Kipers and McShays love to death and project as top ten, but NFL scouts see just another middling tools guy with spotty footwork and below average pocket presence. But I can definitely see the argument for him to project as a high pick, I just personally don't see much in his game that projects beyond a perennial back-up.

better days
02-18-2013, 10:02 PM
According Mike Mayock, Barkley can make all of the throws. His arm is good, his touch is good, as is his accuracy. Mayock has him rated as the second best QB in this class. I would love him in the second round, but that might be a pipe dream.

All great players have down years. Last year might have been his down year and that represents a an opportunity to draft him. Sure he is no Luck or RG3 however he would have been a top 10 pick and the 3rd QB taken in last years draft. If he shined this past year, the Bills would have had no chance to draft him, however due to his injury and down year they do. Now, they have to decide how good he really is. What is his potential and what level is he really at?

Well, Mayock nor anyone else has seen Barkley throw since he injured his shoulder. And now he refuses to throw at the combine even though his arm is 90%. I doubt he plays many games in the NFL where his arm is better than 90%. I DON"T want him on the Bills, let the Cards or Rams draft him.

fluteflakes
02-18-2013, 10:29 PM
Lots of guys don't throw at the combine. The top guys really have nothing to gain by throwing there. It's really not a detriment, if he's got lingering issues, not throwing at the combine isn't going to hide them.

better days
02-18-2013, 11:47 PM
Lots of guys don't throw at the combine. The top guys really have nothing to gain by throwing there. It's really not a detriment, if he's got lingering issues, not throwing at the combine isn't going to hide them.

Well, THIS year, Barkley will be the only guy not throwing at the Combine. I would rather see the Bills draft Nassib than Barkley myself & I'm not a fan of him.

sdbillsfan2
02-19-2013, 08:13 AM
from what I understand from my USC friends, Barkley will throw @ USC's pro day. I believe this kid can play in the NFL and do well.

better days
02-19-2013, 08:40 AM
from what I understand from my USC friends, Barkley will throw @ USC's pro day. I believe this kid can play in the NFL and do well.

Of course he will throw at USC's Pro Day. He will throw to receivers he knows using a deflated football.

Bert102176
02-19-2013, 10:46 AM
He should have his pro-day at the Ralph then we'll see how he reacts to the wind and cold of western NY

Bert102176
02-19-2013, 10:49 AM
Well, Mayock nor anyone else has seen Barkley throw since he injured his shoulder. And now he refuses to throw at the combine even though his arm is 90%. I doubt he plays many games in the NFL where his arm is better than 90%. I DON"T want him on the Bills, let the Cards or Rams draft him.

It's about toughness and he doesn't have it, I would go Tyler Wilson, or Nassib rd 2

trapezeus
02-19-2013, 10:50 AM
i didn't think barkley's issue was arm strength. i just thought that the games that were "hard games" where USC didn't have the decided talent advantage, he was kind of invisible and lost games.

I'm still just getting over JP losman. Don't do this to us again!

fluteflakes
02-19-2013, 10:57 AM
Well, THIS year, Barkley will be the only guy not throwing at the Combine. I would rather see the Bills draft Nassib than Barkley myself & I'm not a fan of him.

I'm actually not a fan of either, but Nassib at least has issues that are, mostly, correctable. And fits with the offense we're likely to run. Barkley, yes has a serviceable arm, but we'd definitely have to limit throws that are outside the hashes and deep comebacks and the like. And any QB where you have to limit what you can do because of his arm, IMO that makes it a weakness.

I prefer Tyler Wilson over all those guys, and I honestly think it's between him and Glennon for our spot. Mostly because Buddy, in his history of drafts with us, has drafted almost EXCLUSIVELY in the south east. So signs point to a south eastern guy, just from that alone, add in that Tyler Wilson is the best guy there (in my opinion) and even though Nassib was Marrones guy, the decision needs to be what's best for the team, not just which guy the coach is most comfortable with.

No matter WHO they draft, he's got my full, unequivocal support. I just don't think a guy like Nassib or Barkley will be anything other than a high end back-up.

better days
02-19-2013, 11:43 AM
It's about toughness and he doesn't have it, I would go Tyler Wilson, or Nassib rd 2

I don't know that either of them will be there in the 2nd, but I would take either of them. Jets fans are banging the drum for Nassib.

better days
02-19-2013, 11:46 AM
I'm actually not a fan of either, but Nassib at least has issues that are, mostly, correctable. And fits with the offense we're likely to run. Barkley, yes has a serviceable arm, but we'd definitely have to limit throws that are outside the hashes and deep comebacks and the like. And any QB where you have to limit what you can do because of his arm, IMO that makes it a weakness.

I prefer Tyler Wilson over all those guys, and I honestly think it's between him and Glennon for our spot. Mostly because Buddy, in his history of drafts with us, has drafted almost EXCLUSIVELY in the south east. So signs point to a south eastern guy, just from that alone, add in that Tyler Wilson is the best guy there (in my opinion) and even though Nassib was Marrones guy, the decision needs to be what's best for the team, not just which guy the coach is most comfortable with.

No matter WHO they draft, he's got my full, unequivocal support. I just don't think a guy like Nassib or Barkley will be anything other than a high end back-up.

I agree, I'm on board with whoever they draft. Wilson, Glennon, Nassib, I will leave that up to the Bills judgement. I DOUBT they would draft Barkley.