PDA

View Full Version : Bucky Brooks' latest mock

T-Long
02-20-2013, 10:22 AM
#8 Mike Glennon

The Bills could elect to take a wide receiver or inside linebacker, but nabbing a franchise-caliber quarterback is GM Buddy Nix's priority in this draft. Although Glennon is a limited athlete prone to making mistakes under duress, he is an A-plus arm talent with tremendous potential.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/mock-drafts

trapezeus
02-20-2013, 10:25 AM
that is terrifying. "a-Plus arm talent with tremendous potential but prone to making mistakes under duress."

that says a poor man's JP losman. Because losman was an athlete.

Skooby
02-20-2013, 10:35 AM
Oh man, he could be Jim Kelly or JP Losman.

EDS
02-20-2013, 10:45 AM
Is this THE Bucky Brooks that was a second round pick of the Bills and got cut in pre-season?

better days
02-20-2013, 11:11 AM
Did anyone see what TJ Graham had to say about Glennon? He said he went to NC State because he WANTED to play on the same team with Glennon, he said he would have signed with ANY team that Glennon had signed with because he wanted him as his QB. I have never heard of a better endorsment of anyone & would not be surprised if the Bills draft Glennon.

venis2k1
02-20-2013, 11:17 AM
Did anyone see what TJ Graham had to say about Glennon? He said he went to NC State because he WANTED to play on the same team with Glennon, he said he would have signed with ANY team that Glennon had signed with because he wanted him as his QB. I have never heard of a better endorsment of anyone & would not be surprised if the Bills draft Glennon.

Rated as a two-star recruit by Rivals.com, his only offer came from North Carolina State, which he accepted.

Its really not that great of an endorsement.

Scumbag College
02-20-2013, 12:48 PM
i would think Glennon or a QB of his ilk would be around in the second round. Anointing him the franchise QB with a #8 pick is a major stretch. Go after an LB or a WR in the first round and see whom we can get in the second or third. I don't know if there is a surefire franchise QB in the draft this year.

Bert102176
02-20-2013, 12:51 PM
Is this THE Bucky Brooks that was a second round pick of the Bills and got cut in pre-season?

Yes it is

CleveSteve
02-20-2013, 01:17 PM
Its really not that great of an endorsement.

lol

IlluminatusUIUC
02-20-2013, 01:25 PM

If we draft a QB at #8 to make our 3rd round "Guy who isn't Russell Wilson" wideout more comfortable I don't know what I would do.

better days
02-20-2013, 01:35 PM
If we draft a QB at #8 to make our 3rd round "Guy who isn't Russell Wilson" wideout more comfortable I don't know what I would do.

Well, we need a QB that can take advantage of Grahams speed. Wilson, Glennon & Nassib all fit that bill. Just say no to Barkley.

CleveSteve
02-20-2013, 01:40 PM
Well, we need a QB that can take advantage of Grahams speed. Wilson, Glennon & Nassib all fit that bill. Just say no to Barkley.

Because he couldn't do anything with Marquise Lee and Robert Woods?

Pop quiz... among Barkley, Glennon, and Wilson, who had the highest completion percentage on deep passes? The lowest?

http://secondroundstats.com/2013/02/01/smith-barkley-glennon-and-wilson-a-metrics-breakdown/

better days
02-20-2013, 01:43 PM

Pop quiz... among Barkley, Glennon, and Wilson, who had the highest completion percentage on deep passes? The lowest?

http://secondroundstats.com/2013/02/01/smith-barkley-glennon-and-wilson-a-metrics-breakdown/

Pop Quiz... Name the one QB in this draft that used underinflated footballs? Ans: Barkley

IlluminatusUIUC
02-20-2013, 01:44 PM

I am not against a strong-armed QB, but I will take a strong brain first any day of the week. If Barkley can break down defenses better (a big if), then I would happily take him. I think we'd be better off with a QB that could take advantage of Stevie's improvisation.

sukie
02-20-2013, 01:45 PM

I wish I knew who James Hardy endorsed.

better days
02-20-2013, 01:46 PM
I am not against a strong-armed QB, but I will take a strong brain first any day of the week. If Barkley can break down defenses better (a big if), then I would happily take him. I think we'd be better off with a QB that could take advantage of Stevie's improvisation.

Well, Fitz was SUPPOSED to be a smart guy. Pennington was a smart guy. I don't want an IDIOT behind Center, but arm strength is something you can't teach.

EDS
02-20-2013, 01:51 PM

Graham should be a complete afterthought in terms of building the team and identifying a franchise QB. Do you really think the front office should be making decisions regarding a franchise QB based on how best to utilize an overdrafted undersized receiver?

better days
02-20-2013, 01:57 PM
Graham should be a complete afterthought in terms of building the team and identifying a franchise QB. Do you really think the front office should be making decisions regarding a franchise QB based on how best to utilize an overdrafted undersized receiver?

Not really. I do think the Bills should take into account the conditions at Ralph Wilson Stadium. IMO the conditions at the Ralph & the AFC East in General call for a strong armed QB. The fact a strong armed QB can take advantage of Grahams speed is just gravy on the meat.

IlluminatusUIUC
02-20-2013, 02:25 PM
Well, Fitz was SUPPOSED to be a smart guy. Pennington was a smart guy. I don't want an IDIOT behind Center, but arm strength is something you can't teach.

Well, he was a smart guy and that's how he got even as much out of his limp noodle arm as he did. Pennington, when healthy, was an incredibly efficient QB. Indeed, if he could stay healthy I would happily take him even with his diminished arm. He finished with the highest completion % ever.

Meanwhile, there are tons and tons of rock-head QBs with cannons for arms. Losman could sling the crap out of the football. It means nothing if you don't know where it needs to go.

Pinkerton Security
02-20-2013, 02:35 PM

So a WR who will likely be cut in a couple years is now the foremost expert on which QB we should draft? Considering the guys he has played with include Glennon and Fitz, I wouldnt exactly call this a ringing endorsement lol

better days
02-20-2013, 02:55 PM
Well, he was a smart guy and that's how he got even as much out of his limp noodle arm as he did. Pennington, when healthy, was an incredibly efficient QB. Indeed, if he could stay healthy I would happily take him even with his diminished arm. He finished with the highest completion % ever.

Meanwhile, there are tons and tons of rock-head QBs with cannons for arms. Losman could sling the crap out of the football. It means nothing if you don't know where it needs to go.

It also means nothing if you know where to go with the football, but you can't throw downfield. I agree Pennington was a pretty good QB. I think he would have had a MUCH better career in Indy or any other domed stadium than he had in NY however. And as I have said before comp % is the most useless stat in Football. Trent Edwards had a good comp % it means NOTHING.

Anyone that does not think a strong arm is essential to play in the AFC East is just not thinking right.

Pinkerton Security
02-20-2013, 03:11 PM
It also means nothing if you know where to go with the football, but you can't throw downfield. I agree Pennington was a pretty good QB. I think he would have had a MUCH better career in Indy or any other domed stadium than he had in NY however. And as I have said before comp % is the most useless stat in Football. Trent Edwards had a good comp % it means NOTHING.

Anyone that does not think a strong arm is essential to play in the AFC East is just not thinking right.

Does Tom Brady have elite arm strength? Does Brees? Does Peyton? No. Arm strength is just one facet of QB play, and just like completion percentage, having a cannon for an arm is overrated in many cases. Without football smarts, Aaron Rodgers is JP Losman.

The Jokeman
02-20-2013, 03:12 PM

Yep it's THE Bucky Brooks, he also spent sometime as a DB with a few other teams after we cut him as well as worked as a Scout for the Seahawks and Panthers before becoming a writer. http://www.linkedin.com/pub/bucky-brooks/15/b41/328

IlluminatusUIUC
02-20-2013, 03:19 PM
It also means nothing if you know where to go with the football, but you can't throw downfield. I agree Pennington was a pretty good QB. I think he would have had a MUCH better career in Indy or any other domed stadium than he had in NY however. And as I have said before comp % is the most useless stat in Football.

What is a QB's job? To complete passes. Every one of those passes is moving the offense forward and towards its goal. A guy who completes a lot of passes, even short ones, is putting his offense and manageable situations and controlling the clock. There is a benefit to throwing the ball deep every so often to open up space, but if you can't take advantage of that space because you are dumb as rocks (Losman) or too inaccurate (Fitz), then it ultimately is just a wasted down.

Trent Edwards had a good comp % it means NOTHING.

WTH are you talking about? No he didn't. His career % barely broke 60%, which is garbage in the modern game.

Pennington did play in the AFC East. Brady's the most successful QB in the division's history, and his arm is alright but certainly not the reason for his success.

better days
02-20-2013, 03:27 PM
Does Tom Brady have elite arm strength? Does Brees? Does Peyton? No. Arm strength is just one facet of QB play, and just like completion percentage, having a cannon for an arm is overrated in many cases. Without football smarts, Aaron Rodgers is JP Losman.

Tom Brady has GOOD arm strength as DID Peyton. Brees plays in a DOME at home & he plays in the NFC SOUTH. I doubt he would have the same success if he were in the AFC East.

Playing in the thin air in Denver no doubt helps Peyton with his dimished arm strength.

Pinkerton Security
02-20-2013, 03:30 PM
Tom Brady has GOOD arm strength as DID Peyton. Brees plays in a DOME at home & he plays in the NFC SOUTH. I doubt he would have the same success if he were in the AFC East.

Playing in the thin air in Denver no doubt helps Peyton with his dimished arm strength.

Explain to me JP Losman then, please. If arm strength is the mark of a good AFC East QB, explain why he didnt pan out.

Glennon has a strong arm, but if he makes bad decisions under pressure, hes simply a poor-man's Jay Cutler...would you want a crappier version of Jay Cutler, because I wouldnt.

better days
02-20-2013, 03:37 PM
What is a QB's job? To complete passes. Every one of those passes is moving the offense forward and towards its goal. A guy who completes a lot of passes, even short ones, is putting his offense and manageable situations and controlling the clock. There is a benefit to throwing the ball deep every so often to open up space, but if you can't take advantage of that space because you are dumb as rocks (Losman) or too inaccurate (Fitz), then it ultimately is just a wasted down.

WTH are you talking about? No he didn't. His career % barely broke 60%, which is garbage in the modern game.

Pennington did play in the AFC East. Brady's the most successful QB in the division's history, and his arm is alright but certainly not the reason for his success.

A QB can complete 3 passes & fail to pick up a first down. Another QB like Favre can miss on his first two passes & throw a 60 yd bomb for a TD on his third pass. Which QB has the higher comp% ? Ans: the first QB. Comp% means very little. The stat for a QB that matters is TD's VS INT's thrown. Trent Edwards fans would ALWAYS cite his comp% when defending him.

Yes I know Pennington played in the AFC East & as I said he would have been much better off if he didn't. Brady's arm in his prime was much better than alright.

better days
02-20-2013, 03:45 PM
Explain to me JP Losman then, please. If arm strength is the mark of a good AFC East QB, explain why he didnt pan out.

Glennon has a strong arm, but if he makes bad decisions under pressure, hes simply a poor-man's Jay Cutler...would you want a crappier version of Jay Cutler, because I wouldnt.

Losman had been playing well until he was CHEAP SHOTED by Vince Wilfork. Jauron then started Trent & installed an offense to take advantage of Trents strengths which were different than JP's. The rest is history. Trent played well until a clean hit showed he is not tough enough to play in the NFL.

I would take Cutler over Fitz any day. I would have taken JP before the cheap shot hit over Fitz.

We don't know Glennon will make bad decisions any more than we know Barkley will make good decisions. For all we know Glennon, Nassib or Wilson could all prove to be better decision makers than Barkley. Barkley is not Luck, more like Sanchez.

Albany,n.y.
02-20-2013, 03:56 PM
A QB can complete 3 passes & fail to pick up a first down. Another QB like Favre can miss on his first two passes & throw a 60 yd bomb for a TD on his third pass. Which QB has the higher comp% ? Ans: the first QB. Comp% means very little. The stat for a QB that matters is TD's VS INT's thrown. Trent Edwards fans would ALWAYS cite his comp% when defending him.

Yes I know Pennington played in the AFC East & as I said he would have been much better off if he didn't. Brady's arm in his prime was much better than alright.
I hate QB stats, virtually every QB stat is flawed. One of the better ones is yards per completion, which would cover the Favre example. The flaw in the TD/INT stat is the same one that skews most QB stats: All other things being equal, what is the difference between two QBs that each drives his team from his own 20 to the opponent's 3 yard line and QB A throws a 3 yard pass to his TE for a TD, and QB B hands off to the RB for a TD? The guy with the better TE than RB has better QB stats, a higher QB rating & a better TD/INT ratio than the equal QB who has a better RB than TE & hands the ball off rather than passes it from the 3 yard line. Both are just as productive, but one guy looks better on paper.

Pinkerton Security
02-20-2013, 03:56 PM
Losman had been playing well until he was CHEAP SHOTED by Vince Wilfork. Jauron then started Trent & installed an offense to take advantage of Trents strengths which were different than JP's. The rest is history. Trent played well until a clean hit showed he is not tough enough to play in the NFL.

I would take Cutler over Fitz any day. I would have taken JP before the cheap shot hit over Fitz.

We don't know Glennon will make bad decisions any more than we know Barkley will make good decisions. For all we know Glennon, Nassib or Wilson could all prove to be better decision makers than Barkley. Barkley is not Luck, more like Sanchez.

I never said I liked Barkley. I said arm strength isnt everything....I'd prefer someone who is know for being a good decision maker.

IlluminatusUIUC
02-20-2013, 04:05 PM
A QB can complete 3 passes & fail to pick up a first down.

If you're going to assume an absurd extreme like throwing three straight 3 yard passes, then there's no argument here. It's absurd. The lowest yards/completion # of any active QB (Fitz) is over 10 yards.

Another QB like Favre can miss on his first two passes & throw a 60 yd bomb for a TD on his third pass. Which QB has the higher comp% ? Ans: the first QB. Comp% means very little. The stat for a QB that matters is TD's VS INT's thrown.

Brett Favre played his best football before this era, and even then his completion % is in the Top 20 of all time. Why are you talking about TD/INT ratio and assuming it's unrelated to completion %? Hint: The guys who are best at throwing the ball to their own team tend to have more TDs and fewer Ints.

Trent Edwards fans would ALWAYS cite his comp% when defending him.

He did have a good %. For one year. If he had sustained that he would have been much more successful, but he didn't.

Brady's arm in his prime was much better than alright.

When? If you're referring to 2007, he had Randy Moss - a guy who has made a lot of QBs look like deep ball guys. Here are his splits (http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/splits/_/id/2330/tom-brady)

Brady has made his bones with accurate, smart passing and YAC for most of his career. I wouldn't say he's ever been in the Top 5 or even the top 10 strongest arms in any given year.

IlluminatusUIUC
02-20-2013, 04:08 PM

We do know Glennon will make bad decisions, he led the NCAA in interceptions in 2012 and was tied for 20th in 2011.

Night Train
02-20-2013, 04:15 PM
Terrible. Can't take him seriously.

Next..

YardRat
02-20-2013, 06:28 PM
There isn't a QB in this draft worth risking the #8 pick on.

And how the hell does Barkley complete less than 70% of his 1-5 yard passes...is he ****ing cross-eyed or something?

better days
02-20-2013, 07:44 PM
We do know Glennon will make bad decisions, he led the NCAA in interceptions in 2012 and was tied for 20th in 2011.

Some might be bad decisions, others might be bad throws, others could be on the receiver. Unless a guy is an idiot, he can be taught to read defenses. You can't teach arm strength or we would not have to replace Fitz.

better days
02-20-2013, 07:52 PM
I never said I liked Barkley. I said arm strength isnt everything....I'd prefer someone who is know for being a good decision maker.

Well, I doubt Barkley is any better than Fitz at making decisions. Might as well keep him.

DynaPaul
02-21-2013, 08:32 AM
Drafting a QB in the first round may set this franchise back for years. We're better off taking an LB since we don't have any superstars at the position.

better days
02-21-2013, 09:29 AM
Drafting a QB in the first round may set this franchise back for years. We're better off taking an LB since we don't have any superstars at the position.

Well, who is going to be a SUPERSTAR LB in this draft? I doubt there is one.

pmoon6
02-21-2013, 09:51 AM
I wish I knew who James Hardy endorsed.He was a scout for about 6 years before he took a journalists job.

He also did make the Bills' roster in '94, played in 3 games and got hurt. The Bills' still had Reed, Beebe, and had signed Bill Brooks from the Colts. I think they cut him because his knee injury was pretty serious and didn't think he could come back. He did play for 4 other teams as a back-up.

That doesn't have anything to do with his player insights.

EDS
02-21-2013, 10:02 AM
Well, who is going to be a SUPERSTAR LB in this draft? I doubt there is one.

Jarvis Jones, MaMontre Moore and a few others have a shot at being big time pass rushers from the OLB position in a 3-4 defense.

IlluminatusUIUC
02-21-2013, 10:48 AM
He was a scout for about 6 years before he took a journalists job.

He also did make the Bills' roster in '94, played in 3 games and got hurt. The Bills' still had Reed, Beebe, and had signed Bill Brooks from the Colts. I think they cut him because his knee injury was pretty serious and didn't think he could come back. He did play for 4 other teams as a back-up.

That doesn't have anything to do with his player insights.

Sukie was referencing the quote by TJ Graham

better days
02-21-2013, 11:06 AM
Jarvis Jones, MaMontre Moore and a few others have a shot at being big time pass rushers from the OLB position in a 3-4 defense.

Big time as in HOF or even Pro Bowl? Maybe possible, but no sure thing. Just as it is possible 2 or 3 of these QBs could become big time QBs.

Bill Cody
02-21-2013, 01:50 PM
If someone else wants to take Glennon in the first round I say let them. No chance I'd invest the 8th pick in him and I don't think we will. No chance I'd trade up our 2nd pick pick to get him. I'm not sure he's a better prospect than Sean Renfree of Duke and you can probably draft Renfree in the 7th round after his surgery.

Bert102176
02-21-2013, 02:34 PM
I think JP would of been a good QB if vince wilfork wouldn't of cheap shotted JP to injure him after that injury he seemed shell shocked and affraid people tend to forget before that injury JP and the Bills were doing really good.

Bill Cody
02-22-2013, 10:07 AM
I think JP would of been a good QB if he didn't suck ass

fixed it for you

Bill Cody
02-22-2013, 10:19 AM
prediction: only 2 QB's will be taken in the 1st round- Geno Smith and Matt Barkley

Wilson, Glennon and Nassib will all be taken in the first 10 picks of the 2nd round and if we don't take Nassib he could drop to the third. After the Jets at pick 9 there's not a single team in the 1st round that will likely be looking QB. If you're picking at the end of the 1st there's a high probability you'll have your pick of all three of those guys. If AZ and Buffalo pass on Matt Barkley my guess is he will be a Jet.

Thief
02-22-2013, 10:22 AM

Without checking link (I'm at work) didn't he thrown near the bottom in terms of volume/quantity?

better days
02-22-2013, 12:07 PM
prediction: only 2 QB's will be taken in the 1st round- Geno Smith and Matt Barkley

Wilson, Glennon and Nassib will all be taken in the first 10 picks of the 2nd round and if we don't take Nassib he could drop to the third. After the Jets at pick 9 there's not a single team in the 1st round that will likely be looking QB. If you're picking at the end of the 1st there's a high probability you'll have your pick of all three of those guys. If AZ and Buffalo pass on Matt Barkley my guess is he will be a Jet.

Prediction: you are wrong. I think at least 3 QB's will be drafted in the first rnd. I heard a GM on Sirius this AM say at least a couple QBs in this draft may turn out to be diamonds in the rough. There are always teams like the Redskins & Seahawks last year that draft a QB when not expected to do so.

Off the top of my head teams that need/could draft a QB:

Bills
Cards
Chiefs
Eagles
Jets
Jags
Bucs
Titans
Texans
Rams
Broncos
Raiders
Chargers
Cowboys

IlluminatusUIUC
02-22-2013, 12:30 PM
Prediction: you are wrong. I think at least 3 QB's will be drafted in the first rnd. I heard a GM on Sirius this AM say at least a couple QBs in this draft may turn out to be diamonds in the rough. There are always teams like the Redskins & Seahawks last year that draft a QB when not expected to do so.

Off the top of my head teams that need/could draft a QB:

Bills
Cards
Chiefs
Eagles
Jets
Jags
Bucs
Titans
Texans
Rams
Broncos
Raiders
Chargers
Cowboys

The Broncos grabbed Osweiler in the 2nd last year, so I'm doubtful they'll get a first rounder this year. But other than that, yeah, I think a lot more QBs are gonna go then people think.

better days
02-22-2013, 12:59 PM
The Broncos grabbed Osweiler in the 2nd last year, so I'm doubtful they'll get a first rounder this year. But other than that, yeah, I think a lot more QBs are gonna go then people think.

Yeah, I didn't mean to say all these teams would/could draft a QB in the first rnd, but I could see any of them moving up to the top of the 2nd rnd. Teams that NEED a QB like the Bills would be smart to take one in the first rnd IMO. And I should have added the Browns to that list. That is a lot of teams that could use a QB, about half the league.

The Jokeman
02-23-2013, 02:00 PM
Yeah, I didn't mean to say all these teams would/could draft a QB in the first rnd, but I could see any of them moving up to the top of the 2nd rnd. Teams that NEED a QB like the Bills would be smart to take one in the first rnd IMO. And I should have added the Browns to that list. That is a lot of teams that could use a QB, about half the league.

By my calculation since moving to a 7 Round draft in 1994 there have been 209 QBs drafted in the common draft (not counting supplemental) or on average 11 per draft.