X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • IlluminatusUIUC
    • Sep 2012

Levitre & Byrd by the numbers

Ok, I've been arguing on the board that we should re-sign both Levitre and Byrd, and been countered that Levitre at least would be too expensive to invest in. So I decided to run the numbers. I pulled all the cap hits from http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/cap-hit/ and then looked at the cap hits through the 2015 season, assuming the same $121 million cap each year.

Ignore the annoying bar graph, I'm no Excel guru and I don't know how to get rid of it.

Anyway, the important point is that we have, by my calculation, $19 million in cap space as of this very moment.

So I cut Fitz, Kelsay, Brad Smith, and Rian Lindell - the four guys who seemed to have the largest disconnect between their cap # and their importance to the team. I used the "Dead Money" figure from the spotrac link above to determine how much they'd cost us against the cap.

Then, I "signed" Levitre using Carl Nicks' contract as a guidepost (http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/tampa-bay...rs/carl-nicks/) but I flipped year 1 and 2 so the big cap hit would land next season. Then I "signed" Jairus Byrd using Antrel Rolle's contract as a guidepost (http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-york-.../antrel-rolle/) because this link pulled from the Zone (http://www.profootballcentral.com/20...d-5-year-deal/) suggests that a 5 year 38 million deal would do it. Rolle's was for 37 million, but that doesn't change much. That leaves us with this:

So after dumping the dead weight, if we structure Levitre's contract the way I suggested, we are left with $18 million. Why so much? Because if I'm reading spotrac right, cutting Kelsay saves $4.1 million AND WHY ISN'T NIX CUTTING HIM RIGHT THIS MOMENT? Add $2.7 million from Smith and roughly 750000 from Fitz and Lindell and it largely negates the effect of signing Levitre and Byrd.

So what next? I took this mock draft from our own BuffaloBillsDraft.com (http://www.buffalobillsdraft.com/201...tt-elder-1231/). After subbing in Keenan Allen for our first pick, which assumed that we would not sign Levitre, I took the subsequent two and gave them the contracts that the guys drafted in their slot in 2012 would have had, leaving this:

That leaves us with $14 million and 3 picks and the following roster (obvious camp fodder and practice squaddies omitted)

QB: Tarvaris Jackson, Zac Dysert
    RB: CJ Spiller, Fred Jackson
    WR: Steve Johnson, Keenan Allen, TJ Graham, Kobi Hamilton, Marcus Easley
    TE: Scott Chandler, Lee Smith
    OT: Cordy Glenn, Erik Pears, Chris Hairson
    OG: Andy Levitre, Kraig Urbik
    C: Eric Wood, Colin Brown

DT: Kyle Williams, Marcel Dareus, Alex Carrington
    DE: Mario Williams, Mark Anderson
    LB: Arthur Moats, Kelvin Sheppard, Chris White, Nigel Bradham
    CB: Stephon Gilmore, Aaron Williams, Ron Brooks, Justin Rogers
    S: DaNorris Searcy, Jairus Byrd, Mana Silva

K: (UDFA - Used John Powell's contract as a guide)
    P: Shawn Powell
    LS: Garrison Sanborn
    KR, PR: Justin Rogers

So we need warm bodies to fill the remaining positions. I think it can be done.

Anyway, I'm no mathmetologist, so I'll let you guys tear it apart.

Billszone 2013 Prediction Contest winner!
  • jamze132
    Don’t hate…
    • Jun 2003

Re: Levitre & Byrd by the numbers

I'm not sure what OBD sees in Kelsay.

Comment

• OLDSRIP
      • Dec 2008

Nice job op, interesting.
      as for Kelsey. Isn't he still rehabbing from an injury? If so he can't be cut unless a injury settlement is made.
      if they wait until he is cleared to play they can cut him without the injury settlement. Maybe that is what is going on.

Comment

• Pinkerton Security
        Pinkerton's son
        • Feb 2006

Nice breakdown...this shows why we can have our cake (Byrd) and eat it too (Levitre)

Comment

• DynaPaul
          • Sep 2003

Kelsay has naked pictures of Ralph Wilson with a tranny.

Comment

• Night Train
            Retired - On Several Levels
            • Jul 2005

After watching good teams like San Fran go thru tryouts for kickers constantly, I never understand the dislike for Lindell.

He and Christie have been,by far, our best kickers ever. Still accurate. Eventually, I understand the move but why create that hole now ?
            Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• better days
              • Jan 2010

Originally posted by Night Train View Post
              After watching good teams like San Fran go thru tryouts for kickers constantly, I never understand the dislike for Lindell.

He and Christie have been,by far, our best kickers ever. Still accurate. Eventually, I understand the move but why create that hole now ?
              Despite the missed kick in the first Super Bowl, Norwood was a MUCH better kicker than Lindell. Aside from him, Pete Gogolak was a MUCH better kicker than Lindell.

Comment

• better days
                • Jan 2010

The reason to get rid of Lindell now is he can't be trusted to kick a FG past 40 yds & he can't kick into the end zone on kickoffs.

Comment

• Bert102176
                  • Aug 2002

Originally posted by jamze132 View Post
                  I'm not sure what OBD sees in Kelsay.
                  Maybe he does for them what their wives won't do
                  lets go BUFFALO lets go BUFFALO

Comment

• IlluminatusUIUC
                    • Sep 2012

I don't hate Lindell, but his contract is not in line with what he brings to the table any more. Time defeats all men, sadly. Maybe Gailey was wrong, and he still has the leg, but I still think year 1 is hte best time to unload these contracts. By year too, a ton of dead money comes off the cap to cover for the Levitre cap hit I moved into year 2.

Comment

• mikemac2001
                      is the creepy cross dresser staring at you in the corner
                      • Mar 2003

Originally posted by better days View Post
                      The reason to get rid of Lindell now is he can't be trusted to kick a FG past 40 yds & he can't kick into the end zone on kickoffs.

i agree with him being cut

but u cant blame a guy for a coach not giving him a shot

and when he gave him a shot for a meaningless long fg i believe he made it (forgot which game but i remember how it made no sense)

id rather have a younger leg and find a kicker for the next 4-5 years then hang on to lindell

MUCK
                      FIAMI

Comment

• YardRat
                        Well, lookie here...
                        • Dec 2004

I haven't delved into the numbers, but realism would dictate that Levitre isn't going to sign that kind of contract, and even if he did you're not going to fill out the rest of the roster (15 players?) with the money left.
                        YardRat Wall of Fame
                        #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                        #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• IlluminatusUIUC
                          • Sep 2012

Originally posted by YardRat View Post
                          I haven't delved into the numbers, but realism would dictate that Levitre isn't going to sign that kind of contract,
                          Why not? I based it on Nicks, and he's the highest paid guard in football. If anything I thought I shot high.

and even if he did you're not going to fill out the rest of the roster (15 players?) with the money left.
                          I just wanted to highlight the starting roster we'd be throwing out there. I neglected to add Zebrie Sanders and Torell Troup. The rest of those guys would be filled with our three remaining draft picks, our practice squad (we have 54 guys under contract in that final scenario before the draft even ends), and other free agents. Year one is tough on purpose because I'm cutting dead weight and eating the cap penalty as early as possible. In year two a crapton of that money comes off the cap, so it accomodates Levitre's cap bump while also opening us up to spend in that offseason if we choose.

Unless you think the Bills are poised to be a contender in 2013, my plan would be better in the long run. Keep our talent, unload bad deals and poise us to be aggressive the year after.

Comment

• YardRat
                            Well, lookie here...
                            • Dec 2004

Originally posted by IlluminatusUIUC View Post
                            Why not? I based it on Nicks, and he's the highest paid guard in football. If anything I thought I shot high.

I just wanted to highlight the starting roster we'd be throwing out there. I neglected to add Zebrie Sanders and Torell Troup. The rest of those guys would be filled with our three remaining draft picks, our practice squad (we have 54 guys under contract in that final scenario before the draft even ends), and other free agents. Year one is tough on purpose because I'm cutting dead weight and eating the cap penalty as early as possible. In year two a crapton of that money comes off the cap, so it accomodates Levitre's cap bump while also opening us up to spend in that offseason if we choose.

Unless you think the Bills are poised to be a contender in 2013, my plan would be better in the long run. Keep our talent, unload bad deals and poise us to be aggressive the year after.
                            So your strategy is basically to sign Levitre so we can gut the rest of the roster and suck. Sounds like a plan, I guess...
                            YardRat Wall of Fame
                            #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                            #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• The Jokeman
                              • Dec 2003

Originally posted by better days View Post
                              Despite the missed kick in the first Super Bowl, Norwood was a MUCH better kicker than Lindell. Aside from him, Pete Gogolak was a MUCH better kicker than Lindell.
                              and Gary Anderson was better than all three of them combined. A damn shame we let him go.

Comment

Working...
                              X