PDA

View Full Version : Buffalo Bills won't commit to keeping Fitz

MidnightVoice
02-21-2013, 10:42 AM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000143222/article/buffalo-bills-wont-commit-to-keeping-ryan-fitzpatrick

The Buffalo Bills are not yet ready to commit to Ryan Fitzpatrick as a member of their team just yet.

Asked on Thursday by the Buffalo News whether Fitzpatrick would be on the roster this year, Bills president Russ Brandon basically said: "Next question."

"The main thing there is we're continuing to evaluate, and that's more in line with how Buddy and Doug come out on that," Brandon said. "We're looking at everything and evaluating every aspect of the organization. "I'm evaluating the organization from top to bottom. Those guys are evaluating the roster. We'll see where that goes."

Cutting Fitzpatrick would not save much cap space. Even though he has a cap number of $10.45 million, he would still count $10 million against the cap if he was released. That's why a renegotiated deal for Fitzpatrick makes the most sense.

Still, it's clear the Bills aren't promising anything. They re-signed Tarvaris Jackson and figure to draft a quarterback. The team won't promise Fitzpatrick a starting job. Heck, they won't even promise him a spot on the team.

Night Train
02-21-2013, 10:44 AM
I'd promise him a one way ticket out of town.

His act is played and screw the cap figures.

ticatfan
02-21-2013, 10:49 AM
Yoy need a strong arm QB that is also VERY mobile. A CFL style QB. Just like those hot rookies now, that 10 years ago would be playing up here and not in the NFL.

IlluminatusUIUC
02-21-2013, 10:56 AM
I don't care what his cap figure would be if we cut him in 2013. Because in 2014, his cap number would be a big fat zero.

PTI
02-21-2013, 10:58 AM
Fitz on the team, on any team, is a commitment to losing.

Yasgur's Farm
02-21-2013, 11:22 AM
I don't care what his cap figure would be if we cut him in 2013. Because in 2014, his cap number would be a big fat zero.Exactly... Nothing will change the over $8M cap figure for 2014 if he's not cut in 2013.

OpIv37
02-21-2013, 11:25 AM
Another reason why 2013 is already wasted: $10 million tied up in Fitz whether we keep him or cut him.

That's a lot of money that can't be used on better players.

mikemac2001
02-21-2013, 11:52 AM
just cut him now...i dont think i can handle another year of fitz

better days
02-21-2013, 11:56 AM
Another reason why 2013 is already wasted: $10 million tied up in Fitz whether we keep him or cut him.

That's a lot of money that can't be used on better players.

Well, there were teams like the Jets that spent a lot of money last year with no success. You can not buy a Championship in the NFL. The money tied up in Fitz should be no excuse for losing. If Fitz agrees to take a massive pay cut I would not mind him as a back up, if not cut his ass.

PTI
02-21-2013, 12:05 PM
There is little incentive for Fitz to take a pay cut. He holds the cards.

better days
02-21-2013, 12:16 PM
There is little incentive for Fitz to take a pay cut. He holds the cards.

What cards does he hold? A pair of duces? No pair, jack high? If the Bills cut him before paying his bonus, he will have to find another team to sign him. He may be able to do that but probably for no more money than he could get from the Bills even at a much reduced rate.

trapezeus
02-21-2013, 12:18 PM
you have to cut fitz based on who he is as a leader. guys like him. even if tjax wins or rookie wins, when they hit a rough spot, how do you think the "win now" vets will feel. "man that rookie mistake cost us." i don't think fitz would be a cancer, but it would be the what ifs.

you cut him and let the competition play out. yes, fitz owuld have been a great back up because he is capable of coming in and wining 6 games a season, but that's it. and we blew it on full seasons. he must leave the team...cap be damned.

PTI
02-21-2013, 12:32 PM
What cards does he hold? A pair of duces? No pair, jack high? If the Bills cut him before paying his bonus, he will have to find another team to sign him. He may be able to do that but probably for no more money than he could get from the Bills even at a much reduced rate.

Even though I think he sucks and should not even be in the NFL, he is 3 year starting QB and the only guy on the roster who took snaps last year. He can tell the Bills he is not renegotiating and force the Bills to make a move. They keep him, then he gets his 10 million. He renegotiates, he is playing on an incentive laden contract, the same one he will likely be offered by some sucker team. If he wants to just play for 1 million, the Bills would keep him, but that is not going to be case.

Not to mention we currently save no money cutting him. Not sure you save cap money renegotiating, not sure how that works.

He is shoving with a pair of Queens.

jpdex12
02-21-2013, 12:35 PM

ding, ding, ding, ding...winner, winner chicken dinner! EXACTLY! OBD holds the cards! Yeah we take a hit this year but we are clear next year for his cap hit and as you alluded to, who the hell is going to sign him for what we would offer him? It's not like another team would view him as a starter...the more I think about this the more I feel OBD will rework his contract and still might cut him if we draft a few QB's that produce early.

IlluminatusUIUC
02-21-2013, 12:57 PM

I'm not sure who would sign him for more than the deal he got when he first came here. He's 30 now and his limitations are in full display.

better days
02-21-2013, 01:01 PM
Even though I think he sucks and should not even be in the NFL, he is 3 year starting QB and the only guy on the roster who took snaps last year. He can tell the Bills he is not renegotiating and force the Bills to make a move. They keep him, then he gets his 10 million. He renegotiates, he is playing on an incentive laden contract, the same one he will likely be offered by some sucker team. If he wants to just play for 1 million, the Bills would keep him, but that is not going to be case.

Not to mention we currently save no money cutting him. Not sure you save cap money renegotiating, not sure how that works.

He is shoving with a pair of Queens.

The Bills NOT Fitz hold all the cards. If Fitz gets cut, the Bills do not save a lot in cap room, but they do save in REAL MONEY. If cut before March 1 that is $3 Million the Bills do not have to pay him, as well as the rest of his salary for the year.
The cap money owed is for his past bonus, not money he will make going forward.

The Bills could say something to him like agree to a reduced contract & we will pay you that $3 Million bonus. NO other team he could sign with will give him any kind of bonus.

PTI
02-21-2013, 01:41 PM
The Bills NOT Fitz hold all the cards. If Fitz gets cut, the Bills do not save a lot in cap room, but they do save in REAL MONEY. If cut before March 1 that is $3 Million the Bills do not have to pay him, as well as the rest of his salary for the year.
The cap money owed is for his past bonus, not money he will make going forward.

The Bills could say something to him like agree to a reduced contract & we will pay you that $3 Million bonus. NO other team he could sign with will give him any kind of bonus.

I disagree, there is no incentive for Fitz to agree to a reduced salary. Please explain to me what that is? Reduction of salary for him is a demotion and one foot out the door.

Pinkerton Security
02-21-2013, 01:44 PM
Yoy need a strong arm QB that is also VERY mobile. A CFL style QB. Just like those hot rookies now, that 10 years ago would be playing up here and not in the NFL.

Is this a serious post?

IlluminatusUIUC
02-21-2013, 01:49 PM
I disagree, there is no incentive for Fitz to agree to a reduced salary. Please explain to me what that is? Reduction of salary for him is a demotion and one foot out the door.

Because if he gets cut he gets no more money from us, and isn't likely to get a legit contract from any other team.

PTI
02-21-2013, 02:18 PM
Because if he gets cut he gets no more money from us, and isn't likely to get a legit contract from any other team.

He most certainly will. He agrees to a restructure, he may get a small amount of guaranteed money, there is however no guarantee he is on the team still, so he either challenges the Bills to cut him now, pay him 10 million, or allows the Bills off the hook and can still get cut?!?!?

Makes no sense for him to even discuss it.

IlluminatusUIUC
02-21-2013, 03:08 PM
He most certainly will. He agrees to a restructure, he may get a small amount of guaranteed money, there is however no guarantee he is on the team still, so he either challenges the Bills to cut him now, pay him 10 million, or allows the Bills off the hook and can still get cut?!?!?

Makes no sense for him to even discuss it.

You're not understanding the situation. If we cut Fitz, he counts for $10 million against our cap but we're not actually paying him that money. It's a fake money penalty. Fitz actually gets $0 from the Bills if we cut him.

PTI
02-21-2013, 03:30 PM
You're not understanding the situation. If we cut Fitz, he counts for $10 million against our cap but we're not actually paying him that money. It's a fake money penalty. Fitz actually gets $0 from the Bills if we cut him.

I understand that, 10 million against the cap, regardless if he is cut.

What if he restructures? Does the cap hit go down?

I still contend he and his agent will not consider listening to a restructure.

mjt328
02-21-2013, 03:55 PM
I honestly think the Bills would prefer to just cut Fitz. But as a courtesy (and as an attempt for our front office to save face after putting the franchise on his back for 3 years), they are attempting to renegotiate his contract first.

As the March 12 (start of free agency) deadline gets closer, I just don't see Fitz making the cut. Think about it:

- Whether it's first or second round, there is no way the Bills don't draft their QB of the future this April.
- They already made a commitment to TJax as a veteran backup/temporary starter, and he comes much cheaper than Fitz. Few teams carry three active QBs in today's NFL.
- Chan is gone and the new coaching staff has NO ties to Fitz.

As already stated, cutting Fitz won't help much this year, but it will have a big impact on next year's salary cap. And that will make a difference on whether we can realistic re-sign Jairus Byrd, Andy Levitre and make a few decent signings.

better days
02-21-2013, 04:24 PM
I understand that, 10 million against the cap, regardless if he is cut.

What if he restructures? Does the cap hit go down?

I still contend he and his agent will not consider listening to a restructure.

If Fitz gets cut the Bills save about $450,000 on the cap price. If he does not get cut, the cap hit is $10Million 450,000. If he gets cut he gets ZERO dollars from the Bills. The cap hit is money ALREADY paid out, NOT future money. It cost the Bills NOTHING to cut Fitz, in fact they save a little money. Fitz will then be out of a job & have to sign with another team for PEANUTS. He has plenty of incentive to accept a restructured contract from the Bills.

If Fitz restructures his contract, the cap hit will not go down this year, but it will go down NEXT year. If he is cut, Fitz will count ZERO against the cap NEXT year. If he refuses a restructure, He will cost a LOT of money next year. Fitz has no option but to accept a restructure unless he WANTS to be cut. But that would make no sense.

better days
02-21-2013, 04:43 PM
And Mike Vick just accepted a restructure of his contract to remain an Eagle. If Fitz want to remain a Bill, he will need to do the same.

Fixxxer
02-22-2013, 08:19 AM
Cut him now and save the real money to give it to Byrd or Levitre. For a year you have to live with 10 mil as dead money in the salary cap.

better days
02-22-2013, 08:25 AM
Cut him now and save the real money to give it to Byrd or Levitre. For a year you have to live with 10 mil as dead money in the salary cap.

I would not be surprised at this happening. Nix said the Bills have not discussed a contract renegotiation with Fitz yet. I doubt they would keep him with his current contract.

Thief
02-22-2013, 10:04 AM
Pretty sure if he is cut that cap hit can be spread out over two years.

Thief
02-22-2013, 10:07 AM
Better idea: Restructure him, then cut him. lol

Bill Cody
02-22-2013, 10:34 AM
he must go

jamze132
02-23-2013, 11:54 AM
If Fitz is on the roster after his $3M bonus kicks in, he's the starter our of the gate. They're not paying a BU $10M, QB competition or not.

better days
02-23-2013, 12:01 PM
If Fitz is on the roster after his $3M bonus kicks in, he's the starter our of the gate. They're not paying a BU $10M, QB competition or not.

They would not be paying him $10 Million. That is a cap hit from his signing bonus which was already paid. I don't see the Bills paying that $3 Million Dolllar bonus. Most likely he gets cut.

NOT THE DUDE...
02-23-2013, 01:51 PM
Cutting fitz is ok, i guess. my only question is, who plays qb? the rookie in rd 1? if we cut fitz, im pretty sure we go qb at 8

ticatfan
02-23-2013, 03:09 PM
Is this a serious post?Yes I am serious. Your game is changing and it is changing more and more to the CFL type game. Like I said look at the QB's on the other teams and how they play. The last time you guys had a hope in hell to win, you had a CFL QB. Your coaching decisions is what cost you a super bowl. How many QB's passed over 4-5000 yrds compare to 5-10 years ago? Get with the times or get ready for more losing years. And restructuring his contract will not make him any better, you will still lose.