• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • X-Era
    What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
    • Feb 2005

Brandon and Nix shed light on Byrd, Levitre, the tags, and FA

On free agency:

“We’re in pretty good shape and we’ve got cap space even though I read sometimes that we’re in trouble,” said Nix. “We’re going to be a player probably in free agency at some point. It may not be the first day or two, but we’ll be looking for guys that can come in and help us and take some pressure off the draft. We think we can be active and go places.”

On the tags:

When asked in a morning appearance on WGR Sportsradio 550 if the franchise or transition tags are in play should they be necessary for the likes of Byrd and Levitre, Nix said they were.
    “That’s an option,” said Nix. “We’ve got until March the fourth to make a decision and we’re trying to work out a deal. Again the tag, whether it’s franchise or transition are options we have and we’ll certainly consider. We’ll use it according to what works on the contract talks.”

Brandon on Levitre and Byrd negotiations:

Bills President and CEO Russ Brandon confirmed to Buffalobills.com that there are meetings set up with the agents for both Byrd and Levitre. “Obviously we’ll spend time with representation from both of those parties, but we’ll spend time will all of the UFAs we have and we’ll see what kind of progress we can make.

I think we will be players in FA regradless of Levitre and Byrd but if say Levitre walks, we probably will be even bigger players.
    Last edited by X-Era; 02-21-2013, 02:50 PM.

• ServoBillieves
    The Voice of Reason
    • Jul 2007

Re: Brandon and Nix shed light on Byrd, Levitre, the tags, and FA

Levitre will be gone. Just putting my peg on that one right now.
    Bye Bye Brady...

Comment

• YardRat
      Well, lookie here...
      • Dec 2004

Originally posted by X-Era View Post
      “We’re in pretty good shape and we’ve got cap space even though I read sometimes that we’re in trouble,” said Nix. “We’re going to be a player probably in free agency at some point. It may not be the first day or two, but we’ll be looking for guys that can come in and help us and take some pressure off the draft. We think we can be active and go places.”
      "We're going to sign some warm bodies, but probably nobody that is a definitive talent upgrade, and only the most ardent fans will have heard of them."
      YardRat Wall of Fame
      #56 DARRYL TALLEY
      #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• X-Era
        • Feb 2005

Originally posted by ServoBillieves View Post
        Levitre will be gone. Just putting my peg on that one right now.
        As I've been saying, I think it's likely.

Comment

• tampabay25690
          • Feb 2004

As I've been saying, I think it's likely.
          I don't because they could trans tag him and it would save at least 1-2 mill per year.
          If a teams wants him the Bills can match.
          That may be the way to go if I was the bills.
          GO Gators!!!!!!
          GO GATORS!!

Comment

• better days
            • Jan 2010

As I have been saying, since the day Nix was hired, he said the Bills will build through the draft & use their money to RETAIN players they DRAFTED rather than sign Free Agents from other teams. If the Bills fail to keep Levitre or Byrd on the team, it will go against everything Nix has said he would do.

I have no doubt that Nix will resign BOTH Levitre & Byrd.

Comment

• X-Era
              • Feb 2005

Originally posted by better days View Post
              As I have been saying, since the day Nix was hired, he said the Bills will build through the draft & use their money to RETAIN players they DRAFTED rather than sign Free Agents from other teams. If the Bills fail to keep Levitre or Byrd on the team, it will go against everything Nix has said he would do.

I have no doubt that Nix will resign BOTH Levitre & Byrd.
              Did you have no doubt we would re-sign Poz?

The amount of money Levitre will command could easily lead to him leaving.

Comment

• The Jokeman
                • Dec 2003

Poz didn't leave because of money, he left because he didn't want to play in a 3-4 defense.
                My last year, going to that 3-4, I didn't feel like I played well," Posluszny said. "I didn't feel like I was a fit. I needed to get back to what I knew the best and what I felt I could play the best football at."
                Last edited by The Jokeman; 02-21-2013, 08:38 PM.

Comment

• X-Era
                  • Feb 2005

Originally posted by tampabay25690 View Post
                  I don't because they could trans tag him and it would save at least 1-2 mill per year.
                  If a teams wants him the Bills can match.
                  That may be the way to go if I was the bills.
                  I think you can franchise Byrd or transition Levitre but not both... That you can only use one tag or the other.

With that much more manageable tag# with Byrd I could see that and letting Levitre walk.

Comment

• The Jokeman
                    • Dec 2003

I think you can franchise Byrd or transition Levitre but not both... That you can only use one tag or the other.

With that much more manageable tag# with Byrd I could see that and letting Levitre walk.
                    I hate to say I agree with you but I do. As I'd love to have both Byrd and Levitre back but for the sake of the team I think Byrd's more valuable not only because he's a lower cap figure but feel he's a better player and feel would be harder to be replace.

Comment

• JoeMama
                      Emotion Sickness
                      • Oct 2002

Less talk. More Andy Levitre.
                      Disclaimer: The sentiment expressed in this post is strictly for entertainment purposes only.

Comment

• Jeff1220
                        H to the 12:20
                        • Jul 2002

Levitre is a very good interior lineman and if there was to be a choice between them, I'd keep him over Byrd. Both are very good, but very good OL > very good safety.

Comment

• JoeMama
                          Emotion Sickness
                          • Oct 2002

Originally posted by Jeff1220 View Post
                          Levitre is a very good interior lineman and if there was to be a choice between them, I'd keep him over Byrd. Both are very good, but very good OL > very good safety.
                          I'm a full believer there's a premium on offensive line talent.

Not long ago, jimmifli wrote a nice piece about how the combo of Fitz and Gailey's scheme probably masked a lot of our deficiencies on the line.

With Fitz (hopefully) out of the picture, we're gonna have to keep what little talent on the line we have.

Whoever has the unfortunate task of becoming our next QB will definitely need a few breathers in between sacks.
                          Disclaimer: The sentiment expressed in this post is strictly for entertainment purposes only.

Comment

• better days
                            • Jan 2010

No I did not even want them to resign Poz. He was not all that good & was a 4-3 LB at a time the Bills were going to a 3-4. The Jags got ripped off with that signing.

If a team throws CRAZY money at Levitre like the 49ers did with Clements, & even the Jags did with Poz then yeah I could see him leaving, but I would not call that easy. And if a team throws CRAZY money at him at least the Bills should get a comp pick in return.
                            Last edited by better days; 02-21-2013, 10:15 PM.

Comment

• X-Era
                              • Feb 2005

Originally posted by better days View Post
                              No I did not even want them to resign Poz. He was not all that good & was a 4-3 LB at a time the Bills were going to a 3-4. The Jags got ripped off with that signing.

If a team throws CRAZY money at Levitre like the 49ers did with Clements, & even the Jags did with Poz then yeah I could see him leaving, but I would not call that easy. And if a team throws CRAZY money at him at least the Bills should get a comp pick in return.
                              It could be 7-8+ mill per. That's a lot to invest in a G.

Comment

Working...
                              X