PDA

View Full Version : Brandon and Nix shed light on Byrd, Levitre, the tags, and FA

X-Era
02-21-2013, 02:47 PM
http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-2/Nix-Franchise-tag-an-option-for-Byrd-Levitre/0e6a41f4-c098-4972-af19-1f3fbddae7a5

On free agency:

“We’re in pretty good shape and we’ve got cap space even though I read sometimes that we’re in trouble,” said Nix. “We’re going to be a player probably in free agency at some point. It may not be the first day or two, but we’ll be looking for guys that can come in and help us and take some pressure off the draft. We think we can be active and go places.”

On the tags:

When asked in a morning appearance on WGR Sportsradio 550 (http://audio.wgr550.com/a/71310042/2-21-buddy-nix-from-the-combine-shares-his-thoughts-on-potential-draft-picks.htm) if the franchise or transition tags are in play should they be necessary for the likes of Byrd and Levitre, Nix said they were.
“That’s an option,” said Nix. “We’ve got until March the fourth to make a decision and we’re trying to work out a deal. Again the tag, whether it’s franchise or transition are options we have and we’ll certainly consider. We’ll use it according to what works on the contract talks.”

Brandon on Levitre and Byrd negotiations:

Bills President and CEO Russ Brandon confirmed to Buffalobills.com that there are meetings set up with the agents for both Byrd and Levitre. “Obviously we’ll spend time with representation from both of those parties, but we’ll spend time will all of the UFAs we have and we’ll see what kind of progress we can make.

I think we will be players in FA regradless of Levitre and Byrd but if say Levitre walks, we probably will be even bigger players.

ServoBillieves
02-21-2013, 05:20 PM
Levitre will be gone. Just putting my peg on that one right now.

YardRat
02-21-2013, 05:33 PM
“We’re in pretty good shape and we’ve got cap space even though I read sometimes that we’re in trouble,” said Nix. “We’re going to be a player probably in free agency at some point. It may not be the first day or two, but we’ll be looking for guys that can come in and help us and take some pressure off the draft. We think we can be active and go places.”

"We're going to sign some warm bodies, but probably nobody that is a definitive talent upgrade, and only the most ardent fans will have heard of them."

X-Era
02-21-2013, 07:00 PM
Levitre will be gone. Just putting my peg on that one right now.
As I've been saying, I think it's likely.

tampabay25690
02-21-2013, 07:14 PM
As I've been saying, I think it's likely.

I don't because they could trans tag him and it would save at least 1-2 mill per year.
If a teams wants him the Bills can match.
That may be the way to go if I was the bills.

better days
02-21-2013, 08:00 PM
As I have been saying, since the day Nix was hired, he said the Bills will build through the draft & use their money to RETAIN players they DRAFTED rather than sign Free Agents from other teams. If the Bills fail to keep Levitre or Byrd on the team, it will go against everything Nix has said he would do.

I have no doubt that Nix will resign BOTH Levitre & Byrd.

X-Era
02-21-2013, 08:33 PM
As I have been saying, since the day Nix was hired, he said the Bills will build through the draft & use their money to RETAIN players they DRAFTED rather than sign Free Agents from other teams. If the Bills fail to keep Levitre or Byrd on the team, it will go against everything Nix has said he would do.

I have no doubt that Nix will resign BOTH Levitre & Byrd.
Did you have no doubt we would re-sign Poz?

The amount of money Levitre will command could easily lead to him leaving.

The Jokeman
02-21-2013, 08:35 PM

Poz didn't leave because of money, he left because he didn't want to play in a 3-4 defense.

My last year, going to that 3-4, I didn't feel like I played well," Posluszny said. "I didn't feel like I was a fit. I needed to get back to what I knew the best and what I felt I could play the best football at."

http://blogs.buffalonews.com/press-coverage/2012/11/paul-posluszny-wished-hed-known-bills-would-switch-back-to-4-3.html

X-Era
02-21-2013, 08:35 PM
I don't because they could trans tag him and it would save at least 1-2 mill per year.
If a teams wants him the Bills can match.
That may be the way to go if I was the bills.I think you can franchise Byrd or transition Levitre but not both... That you can only use one tag or the other.

With that much more manageable tag# with Byrd I could see that and letting Levitre walk.

The Jokeman
02-21-2013, 08:41 PM
I think you can franchise Byrd or transition Levitre but not both... That you can only use one tag or the other.

With that much more manageable tag# with Byrd I could see that and letting Levitre walk.

I hate to say I agree with you but I do. As I'd love to have both Byrd and Levitre back but for the sake of the team I think Byrd's more valuable not only because he's a lower cap figure but feel he's a better player and feel would be harder to be replace.

JoeMama
02-21-2013, 09:10 PM
Less talk. More Andy Levitre.

Jeff1220
02-21-2013, 09:17 PM
Levitre is a very good interior lineman and if there was to be a choice between them, I'd keep him over Byrd. Both are very good, but very good OL > very good safety.

JoeMama
02-21-2013, 09:24 PM
Levitre is a very good interior lineman and if there was to be a choice between them, I'd keep him over Byrd. Both are very good, but very good OL > very good safety.

I'm a full believer there's a premium on offensive line talent.

Not long ago, jimmifli wrote a nice piece about how the combo of Fitz and Gailey's scheme probably masked a lot of our deficiencies on the line.

With Fitz (hopefully) out of the picture, we're gonna have to keep what little talent on the line we have.

Whoever has the unfortunate task of becoming our next QB will definitely need a few breathers in between sacks.

better days
02-21-2013, 10:10 PM

No I did not even want them to resign Poz. He was not all that good & was a 4-3 LB at a time the Bills were going to a 3-4. The Jags got ripped off with that signing.

If a team throws CRAZY money at Levitre like the 49ers did with Clements, & even the Jags did with Poz then yeah I could see him leaving, but I would not call that easy. And if a team throws CRAZY money at him at least the Bills should get a comp pick in return.

X-Era
02-22-2013, 05:30 AM
No I did not even want them to resign Poz. He was not all that good & was a 4-3 LB at a time the Bills were going to a 3-4. The Jags got ripped off with that signing.

If a team throws CRAZY money at Levitre like the 49ers did with Clements, & even the Jags did with Poz then yeah I could see him leaving, but I would not call that easy. And if a team throws CRAZY money at him at least the Bills should get a comp pick in return.
It could be 7-8+ mill per. That's a lot to invest in a G.

better days
02-22-2013, 06:50 AM
It could be 7-8+ mill per. That's a lot to invest in a G.

$8 plus Million is even more for the 49ers to invest in a BACK UP QB.

Mahdi
02-22-2013, 07:36 AM

Do you know how many teams would kill for a good safety that can cover, tackle and ballhawk. They are rare.

trapezeus
02-22-2013, 08:03 AM
http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-2/Nix-Franchise-tag-an-option-for-Byrd-Levitre/0e6a41f4-c098-4972-af19-1f3fbddae7a5

On free agency:

On the tags:

When asked in a morning appearance on WGR Sportsradio 550 (http://audio.wgr550.com/a/71310042/2-21-buddy-nix-from-the-combine-shares-his-thoughts-on-potential-draft-picks.htm) if the franchise or transition tags are in play should they be necessary for the likes of Byrd and Levitre, Nix said they were.
“That’s an option,” said Nix. “We’ve got until March the fourth to make a decision and we’re trying to work out a deal. Again the tag, whether it’s franchise or transition are options we have and we’ll certainly consider. We’ll use it according to what works on the contract talks.”

Brandon on Levitre and Byrd negotiations:

Bills President and CEO Russ Brandon confirmed to Buffalobills.com that there are meetings set up with the agents for both Byrd and Levitre. “Obviously we’ll spend time with representation from both of those parties, but we’ll spend time will all of the UFAs we have and we’ll see what kind of progress we can make.

I think we will be players in FA regradless of Levitre and Byrd but if say Levitre walks, we probably will be even bigger players.

I realize he plays that hokey angle when he says stuff like that, but seeing that his results are worse than the jauron era, i kind of wouldn't be surprised if he's finding out from the press where his actual cap number is.

The sabres and bills continue to battle it out as the most inept team in buffalo. with the history of both teams, the struggle is epic.

better days
02-22-2013, 08:20 AM
I realize he plays that hokey angle when he says stuff like that, but seeing that his results are worse than the jauron era, i kind of wouldn't be surprised if he's finding out from the press where his actual cap number is.

The sabres and bills continue to battle it out as the most inept team in buffalo. with the history of both teams, the struggle is epic.

Nix has kept every player the Bills & MOST fans have wanted to keep. Nix just said the Bills are looking to get long term deals done with BOTH Levitre & Byrd, but if need be they will use the tag. I would bet BOTH are on the roster when the season starts.

Fixxxer
02-22-2013, 08:26 AM

Both Levitre and Byrd are better at their respective positions than what Poz was to his. I wouldn't feel bad overpaying Levitre or Byrd to keep them, I believe they can still get better as players, a feeling I didn't have with Poz.

ThunderGun
02-22-2013, 08:39 AM

I'm skeptical that we will be able to re-sign Levitre....but I don't get the Poz comparison. Poz sucked.

trapezeus
02-22-2013, 09:19 AM
Nix has kept every player the Bills & MOST fans have wanted to keep. Nix just said the Bills are looking to get long term deals done with BOTH Levitre & Byrd, but if need be they will use the tag. I would bet BOTH are on the roster when the season starts.

and he signed fitz to a contract that hand cuffed us this upcoming yeawr and he extended mcgee when it was clear he was injury prone letting jabari leave and kept kelsay about two decades longer than any of us wanted. add into the fact that he's only had one big FA splash last year which has had questionable results and rounds 2-7 aren't his strongest, he's kind of been a huge dud. Also, he's spent his drafts and FA building up defense, but it's his offense that looks the best. and his defense has gotten to historic worsts. So yeah, Buddy looks like an idiot most times.

When he says he's not up at mid-night at the free agency period, it's not funny when you have a team that sucks....all the time.

Mahdi
02-22-2013, 10:12 AM
and he signed fitz to a contract that hand cuffed us this upcoming yeawr and he extended mcgee when it was clear he was injury prone letting jabari leave and kept kelsay about two decades longer than any of us wanted. add into the fact that he's only had one big FA splash last year which has had questionable results and rounds 2-7 aren't his strongest, he's kind of been a huge dud. Also, he's spent his drafts and FA building up defense, but it's his offense that looks the best. and his defense has gotten to historic worsts. So yeah, Buddy looks like an idiot most times.

When he says he's not up at mid-night at the free agency period, it's not funny when you have a team that sucks....all the time.

On the flip side, he did.....

Brought in:

Mario (Biggest FA on market)
Anderson (which no one expected after signing Mario)
Urbik (off the street and has become a key OL for us)
Pears (off the street and has become a solid OT)
Nelson (UDFA that is key for us)
Chandler (street FA that has been our best TE since Riemersma)

Drafted:

Spiller (most didnt want him, now best young RB in league)
Gilmore (among the best young CB in league)
Cordy Glenn (had a great rookie year, among best in AFC)
Brooks (looks like a solid player)
Carrington (made big strides last year and looks good)
Nigel Bradham (had a good year. Could be 4th rd. steal)

Jury out on:

Sheppard
Brooks
Searcy
Aaron Williams
TJ Graham

trapezeus
02-22-2013, 11:35 AM
only one of those guys is a true gamer, and he selected a coach that didn't let him shine. who did he pass up for Troupe? Who did he pass up for TJ Graham. Who did he pass up for A. Willieams.

Sure, the offensive signings on the undrafted board looked nice and he has an eye for the line...but everywhere else, he's clueless.

better days
02-22-2013, 11:43 AM
only one of those guys is a true gamer, and he selected a coach that didn't let him shine. who did he pass up for Troupe? Who did he pass up for TJ Graham. Who did he pass up for A. Willieams.

Sure, the offensive signings on the undrafted board looked nice and he has an eye for the line...but everywhere else, he's clueless.

Easy to say who did he pass up in HINDSIGHT. The only HUGE mistake Nix has made IMO is to not get a QB yet.

trapezeus
02-22-2013, 12:32 PM
Easy to say who did he pass up in HINDSIGHT. The only HUGE mistake Nix has made IMO is to not get a QB yet.

oh, ok. only that one gigantic piece that we've all been begging for and pointed out a number of people like kaepernick and russell at the time of those drafts. i didn't like dalton, so i won't comment on him, but he did take a.wiliams who plays like JD williams.

This remains a team run by the same bozo's who gave you the 2012 bills. Another blown draft is on its way.

coastal
02-22-2013, 02:54 PM
I see this as a likely Bills draft...

1.) Cordarelle Patterson - Nix I believe has said they would like to slide Stevie Johnson into the slot.
2.) EJ Manuel - athletic QB
3.) Travis Kelce - a rookie QBs best friend.

justasportsfan
02-22-2013, 03:25 PM
oh, ok. only that one gigantic piece that we've all been begging for and pointed out a number of people like kaepernick and russell at the time of those drafts. i didn't like dalton, so i won't comment on him, but he did take a.wiliams who plays like JD williams.

This remains a team run by the same bozo's who gave you the 2012 bills. Another blown draft is on its way.

it's easy to judge a move or lack thereof in hindsight. A GM usually makes decisions based on feedback from his coach and I can see why Nix didn't draft a qb. It's most likely because Chan told him Fitz was good enough to run his offense.

justasportsfan
02-22-2013, 03:29 PM
I see this as a likely Bills draft...

1.) Cordarelle Patterson - Nix I believe has said they would like to slide Stevie Johnson into the slot.
2.) EJ Manuel - athletic QB
3.) Travis Kelce - a rookie QBs best friend.

I can see the bills not going with a WR with the 1st pick with the wr corps supposedly deep in this years draft. They may reach for a qb and look for a TE .

better days
02-22-2013, 04:12 PM
I can see the bills not going with a WR with the 1st pick with the wr corps supposedly deep in this years draft. They may reach for a qb and look for a TE .

Nix did say in addition to signing their own FA's they would be players in free agency. Maybe a WR?