PDA

View Full Version : Nick Foles

fluteflakes
02-21-2013, 04:51 PM
Chip says he's open to trade offers for him.

He's not as good as some of the "top" talents in this draft, but he's got what none of them have.

NFL experience. And if the price is right (3rd-4th rounder) I'd be willing to take a flier on him.

better days
02-21-2013, 05:09 PM
Chip says he's open to trade offers for him.

He's not as good as some of the "top" talents in this draft, but he's got what none of them have.

NFL experience. And if the price is right (3rd-4th rounder) I'd be willing to take a flier on him.
If the Bills miss out on the QB they want, I think he would be an option after the draft. The Bills draft so high this year I would not give up more than a 4th in this draft.

SABURZFAN
02-21-2013, 05:11 PM
looks like the Eagles won't be parting with him.

http://www.nj.com/eagles/index.ssf/2013/02/eagles_coach_chip_kelly_on_nic.html

ServoBillieves
02-21-2013, 05:25 PM
Fitzy has NFL experience. So does TJ. So let's go after 2nd to 3rd rate talent again. Seems legit.

EDS
02-21-2013, 06:17 PM
Foles has some upside. I would rather take a chance on him then any other QB on the Bills roster today. Obviously not a guy you overspend for though.

IlluminatusUIUC
02-21-2013, 07:17 PM
Why would the Eagles take a 4th for him a year after they used a 3rd on him? He's not such a locker room cancer that they would need to deal him for anything, and with Vick you absolutely need a solid backup because he gets hurt so much.

As for more than that, I didn't want to spend a third on him last year and I don't this year either.

better days
02-21-2013, 07:54 PM
Why would the Eagles take a 4th for him a year after they used a 3rd on him? He's not such a locker room cancer that they would need to deal him for anything, and with Vick you absolutely need a solid backup because he gets hurt so much.

As for more than that, I didn't want to spend a third on him last year and I don't this year either.

Foles does not fit Chip Kellys offense, that is the reason. If they can get even a 4th for him, they can use that to move up & draft a QB that does fit his system, with Vick holding down the fort for a year.

fluteflakes
02-21-2013, 08:15 PM
There is a reason they signed Dennis Dixon.

Kelly wants a QB that's mobile and can run, HIS offense. Foles can move but he's not going to beat teams running. He's more of a pocket passer. And he has shown flashes of being a good player, and fits what we're trying to do offensively.

If the price is right I think it's more than worth a shot. He's young and could be the answer.

IlluminatusUIUC
02-21-2013, 08:19 PM
Foles does not fit Chip Kellys offense, that is the reason. If they can get even a 4th for him, they can use that to move up & draft a QB that does fit his system, with Vick holding down the fort for a year.

Then he's going to go the way of Spurrier unless Kelly adapts to the modern NFL. The option is a useful play concept, but a risky one, and certainly you can't build an NFL offense around it the way he did in Oregon.

The Jokeman
02-21-2013, 08:27 PM

Kelly wants a QB that's mobile and can run, HIS offense. Foles can move but he's not going to beat teams running. He's more of a pocket passer. And he has shown flashes of being a good player, and fits what we're trying to do offensively.

If the price is right I think it's more than worth a shot. He's young and could be the answer.

I'm still waiting to see what running QB will win a Super Bowl. I'll admit I'm enamored with EJ Manuel but the more and more I think about it the more and more I shouldn't be as in the end it seems pocket passes end up winning more than not. See Flacco > Kaepernick, Kurt Warner > McNair, Bob Griese > Tarkenton. etc.

better days
02-21-2013, 10:25 PM
Then he's going to go the way of Spurrier unless Kelly adapts to the modern NFL. The option is a useful play concept, but a risky one, and certainly you can't build an NFL offense around it the way he did in Oregon.

The 49ers did pretty well with it this year as well as the Redskins & Seahawks.

IlluminatusUIUC
02-21-2013, 11:06 PM
The 49ers did pretty well with it this year as well as the Redskins & Seahawks.

You mean the Redskins who blew out their QB's knee? It's a great play to run a few times a game, it keeps the defense from keying on your halfback and opens up running room. But Kelly's Oregon offense ran the option a lot. Like, multiple times per drive. You absolutely do not want to run your QBs nearly as much in the NFL. Here's why

http://youtu.be/4TAR3CCqfIs

better days
02-22-2013, 06:54 AM
You mean the Redskins who blew out their QB's knee? It's a great play to run a few times a game, it keeps the defense from keying on your halfback and opens up running room. But Kelly's Oregon offense ran the option a lot. Like, multiple times per drive. You absolutely do not want to run your QBs nearly as much in the NFL. Here's why

http://youtu.be/4TAR3CCqfIs

There have been MANY QB's that were injured in the pocket as well. Ask Joe Theisman.

better days
02-22-2013, 07:11 AM

I would trade a 4th this year or a 3rd next year for him.

Bill Cody
02-22-2013, 10:48 AM
I'm still waiting to see what running QB will win a Super Bowl. I'll admit I'm enamored with EJ Manuel but the more and more I think about it the more and more I shouldn't be as in the end it seems pocket passes end up winning more than not. See Flacco > Kaepernick, Kurt Warner > McNair, Bob Griese > Tarkenton. etc.

Ok so if Flacco was the 1st year starter and Kaepernick had 5 years under his belt the result would still be the same? The league is changing. You don't need a running QB but I think mobility is more and more helpful. That's why a guy like Andrew Luck will be the best QB in the league soon- he can throw from the pocket and roll out and away from pressure, take a run if the D plays man to man. Kaepernick is going to be great not just good, came damn close to winning that game. That's why I don't want to draft a pure pocket guy like a Glennon. I agree that the QB needs to be a passer first but I like a QB that doesn't have cement cleats.

IlluminatusUIUC
02-22-2013, 11:47 AM
There have been MANY QB's that were injured in the pocket as well. Ask Joe Theisman.

Sure, but do you want to run an offense where your QB is deliberately exposing himself to hits 10-15 times a game on top of the pass rush? Remember, when a QB takes off running - he's a runner. That's means you can hit him in the knees or the helmet without a penalty.

better days
02-22-2013, 11:47 AM
Ok so if Flacco was the 1st year starter and Kaepernick had 5 years under his belt the result would still be the same? The league is changing. You don't need a running QB but I think mobility is more and more helpful. That's why a guy like Andrew Luck will be the best QB in the league soon- he can throw from the pocket and roll out and away from pressure, take a run if the D plays man to man. Kaepernick is going to be great not just good, came damn close to winning that game. That's why I don't want to draft a pure pocket guy like a Glennon. I agree that the QB needs to be a passer first but I like a QB that doesn't have cement cleats.

Glennon can not move like Kaepernick or Wilson, but he is mobile enough to move around in the pocket & roll out. He did so in the Senior Bowl.

fluteflakes
02-22-2013, 01:13 PM
Glennon will run in the high 4.6's, he's a VERY underrated athlete.

But the key for a QB in how fast they are isn't even the 40 or his 10 and 20 splits. Usually you look to the three cone to gauge just how quick they are.

better days
02-22-2013, 01:18 PM
Glennon will run in the high 4.6's, he's a VERY underrated athlete.

But the key for a QB in how fast they are isn't even the 40 or his 10 and 20 splits. Usually you look to the three cone to gauge just how quick they are.

Glennon is so tall/long legs I doubt he does well in the 3 cone. That said if the Bills draft him I would be happy. Wilson, Glennon, Nassib are my top three choices.

fluteflakes
02-22-2013, 01:22 PM
You'd be surprised, I imagine he'll do better than most expect. He's get excellent CoD when moving, from what I'v watched. Barkley will most likely test the best out of the "pocket" guys. He's a very good athlete. Just not a very good QB.

Glennon is my #2, behind Wilson and infront of Dysert and Nassib. I'd have Geno Smith #1 but, lets be honest he's going #1.

better days
02-22-2013, 01:26 PM
You'd be surprised, I imagine he'll do better than most expect. Barkley will most likely test the best out of the "pocket" guys. He's a very good athlete. Just not a very good QB.

Glennon is my #2, behind Wilson and infront of Dysert and Nassib. I'd have Geno Smith #1 but, lets be honest he's going #1.

I agree, Geno will most likely go #1. Too bad for the Chiefs, They SUCKED one year too late.

fluteflakes
02-22-2013, 01:27 PM
Or too early.

Is it too early to buy some Tank4Teddy t-shirts?

mjt328
02-22-2013, 03:55 PM
I would love for the Chiefs to send a pick to the Eagles for Nick Foles.

That would likely mean that Geno Smith drops a couple spots - and possible into a positiion where we could take him.

BillsFever21
02-26-2013, 06:10 PM
If Foles was on the market for a 4th round draft pick I'd scoop him up. He played fairly well last year and showed some potential. At the very least it would be a cheap capable 2nd string QB under contract for the next few years if he didn't win the starting job long-term. I'm sure if he was on the market for that cheap of a price Andy Reid would be picking him up as he liked his potential and has experience in his system. It would most likely take at the very least a 3rd and probably another pick to get him.

better days
02-26-2013, 06:26 PM
If Foles was on the market for a 4th round draft pick I'd scoop him up. He played fairly well last year and showed some potential. At the very least it would be a cheap capable 2nd string QB under contract for the next few years if he didn't win the starting job long-term. I'm sure if he was on the market for that cheap of a price Andy Reid would be picking him up as he liked his potential and has experience in his system. It would most likely take at the very least a 3rd and probably another pick to get him.

I agree, I would give up a 4th myself or maybe a 3rd next year that could improve depending on the play of Foles.

The Jokeman
02-26-2013, 06:48 PM
I agree, I would give up a 4th myself or maybe a 3rd next year that could improve depending on the play of Foles.

Looky here, Nick Foles from NFL.com last year graded out as a 71.0 http://www.nfl.com/draft/2011/profiles/nick-foles?id=2532842 in comparison Geno Smith, Tyler Wilson, Zac Desyrt, Matt Barkley, Mike Glennon and Ryan Nassib all grade out better at http://www.nfl.com/combine/participants The Eagles were on record saying they were looking for 1st or 2nd Rounder for Foles. I think we can stand pat and possibly get a better QB with our own 2nd Rounder and pick a guy this management team believes in. As if we truly liked Foles we would have drafted him last year.

better days
02-26-2013, 06:54 PM
Looky here, Nick Foles from NFL.com last year graded out as a 71.0 http://www.nfl.com/draft/2011/profiles/nick-foles?id=2532842 in comparison Geno Smith, Tyler Wilson, Zac Desyrt, Matt Barkley, Mike Glennon and Ryan Nassib all grade out better at http://www.nfl.com/combine/participants The Eagles were on record saying they were looking for 1st or 2nd Rounder for Foles. I think we can stand pat and possibly get a better QB with our own 2nd Rounder and pick a guy this management team believes in. As if we truly liked Foles we would have drafted him last year.

Foles could be one of those guys that Nix thought was going to fall but that was drafted higher than he expected. I would be happy to trade for Foles & draft a QB as well. As far as what the Eagles want...........well, the 49ers have said a trade is all but done for Smith with everyone thinking KC is the team. Now today, the Cards are talked about as being interested in trading for Smith. A lot of blown smoke this time of year.

The Jokeman
02-26-2013, 06:59 PM
Foles could be one of those guys that Nix thought was going to fall but that was drafted higher than he expected. I would be happy to trade for Foles & draft a QB as well. As far as what the Eagles want...........well, the 49ers have said a trade is all but done for Smith with everyone thinking KC is the team. Now today, the Cards are talked about as being interested in trading for Smith. A lot of blown smoke this time of year.

and if Smith was as good as the 49ers are claiming he is they wouldn't just trade him. I will always say the NFL teams do NOT trade away franchise QBs unless they feel they have a better franchise QB in place or they simply don't know what they have. There's enough tape on Alex Smith for me to think he is nothing special but who knows he might be another Rich Gannon but I doubt it with all the schemes/coaches he's had in San Fran. In terms of Foles, it's hard to say as he still unproven but think it's telling that the Eagles aren't looking to trade him just yet.

Also IF Nix is going to trade for Foles I doubt he would draft another QB unless he does so with a 6th round pick but even that opens up a can of worms most teams won't do. The Redskins to their credit did last year and I think that might have what messed up the Bills as Kurt Cousins going to the Redskins shocked a lot of people.

better days
02-26-2013, 07:03 PM
and if Smith was as good as the 49ers are claiming he is they wouldn't just trade him. I will always say the NFL teams do NOT trade away franchise QBs unless they feel they have a better franchise QB in place or they simply don't know what they have. There's enough tape on Alex Smith for me to think he is nothing special but who knows he might be another Rich Gannon but I doubt it with all the schemes/coaches he's had in San Fran. In terms of Foles, it's hard to say as he still unproven but think it's telling that the Eagles aren't looking to trade him just yet.

Well, no trades can be made until after March 12. We will see what happens. I think Foles could be a decent QB, but he is not a fit for Kellys system.

The Jokeman
02-26-2013, 07:05 PM
Well, no trades can be made until after March 12. We will see what happens. I think Foles could be a decent QB, but he is not a fit for Kellys system.

I agree he's not but at the same time they have an aging Mike Vick who's injury prone and Dennis Dixon, who to date been nothing more than a career backup. I doubt they trade Foles unless they get the 1st or 2nd Rounder they want for him and then take a QB that better fits Kelly's system (see EJ Manuel).