PDA

View Full Version : Alex Smith unlikely to be released

X-Era
02-22-2013, 05:56 AM
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8971930/sources-san-francisco-49ers-highly-unlikely-release-alex-smith

It's more likely that they will trade him or just keep him.

What would you pay?

better days
02-22-2013, 06:44 AM
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8971930/sources-san-francisco-49ers-highly-unlikely-release-alex-smith

It's more likely that they will trade him or just keep him.

What would you pay?

I don't buy it. $8 plus Million is a LOT of money to pay a back up. But If they want to keep him that is fine with me, less money to spend on other players. People on this board want to let Levitre, a STARTING guard that would most likely make less money than Smith who is a BACK UP walk. I would not pay anything for Smith myself. I think if no team trades for him he does get cut eventually.

alnilla
02-22-2013, 10:12 AM
A bag of chips

Thief
02-22-2013, 10:23 AM
I don't think they want to leverage out any possible trade value.

IlluminatusUIUC
02-22-2013, 11:33 AM
I don't buy it. $8 plus Million is a LOT of money to pay a back up. But If they want to keep him that is fine with me, less money to spend on other players. People on this board want to let Levitre, a STARTING guard that would most likely make less money than Smith who is a BACK UP walk. I would not pay anything for Smith myself. I think if no team trades for him he does get cut eventually.

It is expensive, but I can see it. They are right in the middle of their championship window so keeping a vet backup they can rely upon is a justifiable move.

better days
02-22-2013, 11:36 AM
It is expensive, but I can see it. They are right in the middle of their championship window so keeping a vet backup they can rely upon is a justifiable move.

Yeah, except unlike the Bills, the 49ers are tight up against the cap. Keeping Smith means they can not get another player that could help push them through to a Championship.

IlluminatusUIUC
02-22-2013, 12:28 PM
Yeah, except unlike the Bills, the 49ers are tight up against the cap. Keeping Smith means they can not get another player that could help push them through to a Championship.

But dumping Smith is placing all their eggs in Kaepernick's basket. If he goes down or regresses, they've only got Scott Tolzien or some random rookie/FA to step in. At least Smith has demonstrated that he can win games and take them to the doorstep.

It's a more conservative strategy, but it is a realistic one.

better days
02-22-2013, 01:05 PM
But dumping Smith is placing all their eggs in Kaepernick's basket. If he goes down or regresses, they've only got Scott Tolzien or some random rookie/FA to step in. At least Smith has demonstrated that he can win games and take them to the doorstep.

It's a more conservative strategy, but it is a realistic one.

I agree it is realistic. They will have to decide do they want a STARTER FA at another position for $8 Million or maybe a starter & a back up at another position for $8 Million or a Back up QB for $8 Million.

If they can't trade Smith, they could ask him to restructure his contract or they could cut him & sign another Vet MUCH CHEAPER.

trapezeus
02-22-2013, 01:43 PM
can't wait whent he bills try to get flacco, get denied and then send the same package to the 9ers for smith.

i give that awful scenario about a 74% chance of occuring.

The King
02-22-2013, 01:57 PM
They will keep him and trade him, they'll get something, at least a 3rd out of it.

better days
02-22-2013, 04:04 PM
They will keep him and trade him, they'll get something, at least a 3rd out of it.

OK, What team would be STUPID enough to give up a 3rd rnd pick for a mediocre 28 year old QB? GOD, please don't say the Bills!

YardRat
02-22-2013, 04:11 PM
Don't want anything to do with him, regardless of the price. Pass.

DynaPaul
02-22-2013, 08:08 PM
It's better to keep him and his big salary because that read option stuff really increases the chances of an injured QB. If Kaep goes down they better have a good backup. Plus, think about it, who's going to give up a high pick to trade for Smith? I don't see anyone doing it especially with the contract they will have to eat up. Harbaugh can try to drive the price up by saying they're not going to cut him but I don't think any fish will bite.