PDA

View Full Version : I Think the Bills are to draft....

k-oneputt
02-22-2013, 04:55 PM
Tyler Wilson.

I know it's early but they seem to be showing alot of interest in him.

Wilson at # 8 ?

Bangarang
02-22-2013, 05:07 PM
His tiny hands concern me.

Can he grip a ball in the rain and snow and be able to throw with velocity?

Mouldsie
02-22-2013, 05:48 PM
Maybe, but not at 8.

My prediction as of today: Cordarelle Patterson and then Tyler Wilson. Mark it down!

Albany,n.y.
02-22-2013, 06:06 PM
I gave up trying the futile attempt of trying to read the minds of our inept drafters years ago. I can only guess that if the Bills scouts like a QB at 8, he's the wrong guy.
Now I'm not trying to be a jerk, but the Bills scouts seem to have no ability to get the right QB here. This goes all the way back to the 1st attempt at replacing Jim Kelly with 2nd round pick Todd Collins and continued with wasted picks on draft choices or trades for Billy Joe Hobert (3rd rounder for a few months on the roster), Rob Johnson (1&4) Drew Bledsoe (1st rounder for 3 years of service), J.P Losman (another 1) and Trent Edwards(3-which was part of former #1 McGahee trade). It carried on the last 2 years when the Bills were satisfied enough with Ryan Fitzpatrick not to bother wading into a very deep pool of QB talent & now they want a rookie QB when the draft class is the worst in recent memory. The only sure thing is unless the new guys have a huge influence on who we're drafting, our track record indicates that for the past 18+ years the Bills are extremely bad at evaluating QB talent and I can't have any faith on any QB they choose to join the merry-go-round of futility at that position.

fluteflakes
02-22-2013, 06:16 PM
His two biggest weaknesses are his Hands and his footwork. And one is fixable.

I really, really want him in a Bills uni.

ServoBillieves
02-22-2013, 06:21 PM
Wow, that's a name I haven't heard of the Bills drafting. Thanks for the info.

The Jokeman
02-22-2013, 06:33 PM
The only QB I would even consider drafting at pick 8 is Geno Smith. Anyone else I would trade down for and take whomever they think is best from Barkley, Wilson, Nassib, Manuel or Glennon. Yet I think all of the one's I mentioned outside of Smith are questionable 1st Round picks but if we trade down to the mid twenties and acquire a 2nd or 3rd rounder I don't mind reaching for a QB if they peg one guy superior then all the rest.

ServoBillieves
02-22-2013, 06:47 PM
Every "good" site that I take a look at has Tyler Wilson as a 2nd/3rd rounder. Do I care? No, I'm the guy that thinks no matter what round, if taught well, can succeed in the NFL. It's an entire team, not just 1 player.

That being said, shore up another positional need at 8. Most of the posters on this board wanted us to deserve the spot at 8 so let's do something good with it rather than win. If it's not Smith or Barkley at 8 then I don't want them, because.. Guess what, they'll be there in the 2nd round.

tampabay25690
02-22-2013, 08:07 PM
I'm with you on this...
I watched a lot of Tyler's games and I have always liked his play.
I actually think he will be the best QB in this draft.
Would not surprise Me if Tyler Wilson is the Bills QB at#8

JoeMama
02-22-2013, 08:17 PM
Maybe, but not at 8.

My prediction as of today: Cordarelle Patterson and then Tyler Wilson. Mark it down!

Marked.

I'm trying to think, what year did you have that stunning run of correct draft picks over at the range? And who were they?

justasportsfan
02-23-2013, 07:15 AM
Maybe, but not at 8.

this......they would most likely need to trade back to the 1st to get Wilson though.

X-Era
02-23-2013, 07:27 AM
His tiny hands concern me.

Can he grip a ball in the rain and snow and be able to throw with velocity?
Didn't seem to bother Young at Candlestick

Night Train
02-23-2013, 08:46 AM
WR Patterson, an OL or one of those D Front 7 guys...just can't see a QB at #8.

better days
02-23-2013, 09:29 AM
WR Patterson, an OL or one of those D Front 7 guys...just can't see a QB at #8.

I posted in another thread that Nix reiterated a QB needs to be drafted a round earlier than you would like. That sounds like the first rnd to me.

SaviorEdwards
02-23-2013, 11:27 AM
Its hard to predict the draft but these QBs are lack luster IMHO...I could see only one going top 10 and the rest tumbling down the board. I personally like Barkley the best, but my gut tells me Geno Smith goes first and the others sit around for awhile.

Mouldsie
02-23-2013, 11:38 AM
Marked.

I'm trying to think, what year did you have that stunning run of correct draft picks over at the range? And who were they?
I've called all of Buddy's 1st round picks so far but the all good looking mock nailed like 4 of the picks in 2007. I also got lucky in 2001 as an ignorant middle schooler I correctly predicted Clements, Schobel, and Henry

better days
02-23-2013, 12:08 PM
Its hard to predict the draft but these QBs are lack luster IMHO...I could see only one going top 10 and the rest tumbling down the board. I personally like Barkley the best, but my gut tells me Geno Smith goes first and the others sit around for awhile.

What do you like best about Barkley? His arm strength? His mobility? The fact he was Coached up by Lane Kiffen? I don't like any of those myself.

DynaPaul
02-23-2013, 04:59 PM
We should just dump the number 8 pick for multiple picks in the 2nd and 3rd rounds.

Bert102176
02-23-2013, 06:32 PM
I say we should try to trade down in the draft pick up a 20 - 26 pick and another 2nd also maybe another 3rd or 4th

fluteflakes
02-23-2013, 06:37 PM
What do you like best about Barkley? His arm strength? His mobility? The fact he was Coached up by Lane Kiffen? I don't like any of those myself.

Hey now, there is no need to besmirch the good name of lame kitten now!

NOT THE DUDE...
02-24-2013, 11:56 AM
he seems like that matt ryan type qb. very smart, good arm, accuate, tough, and can really anticipate windows....

Albany,n.y.
02-24-2013, 01:00 PM
His two biggest weaknesses are his Hands and his footwork. And one is fixable.

I really, really want him in a Bills uni.

Hand transplant?

X-Era
02-24-2013, 01:04 PM
Warming to it. I think Wilson has nice touch. I could see Smith and Barkley going before us but it could be that only 1 goes before us. If that happens I think we would take either Barkley or Smith over Wilson. But if both Barkley and Smith are gone, Wilson at 8 is a real possibility.

I still like taking other players at need positions who have better value at the pick... Patterson is one.

NOT THE DUDE...
02-24-2013, 02:15 PM
he played some really good cerebral ball in the sec... id take the chance..

better days
02-24-2013, 02:20 PM
Warming to it. I think Wilson has nice touch. I could see Smith and Barkley going before us but it could be that only 1 goes before us. If that happens I think we would take either Barkley or Smith over Wilson. But if both Barkley and Smith are gone, Wilson at 8 is a real possibility.

I still like taking other players at need positions who have better value at the pick... Patterson is one.

NOBODY has more VALUE than a GOOD QB. No matter where he is picked. I would bet the 49ers or Seahawks would now be happy if they had drafted their QBs with their first pick. The Bills may be forced to pick the QB higher than they would like, but Nix has said LB is a position that good ones will be available later in the draft. So if they overpay for the QB & underpay for the LB & they both turn out to be GOOD players, it is a wash.

better days
02-24-2013, 02:27 PM
And I heard a podcast of the John Murphy show with Jim Kelly talking about QBs, his thoughts:

Buffalo is NOT Miami or a dome team. To play in Buffalo, WNY, the QB MUST have a STRONG arm. That was the first thing Kelly said about the qualities a QB should possess that the Bills draft.

He also talked about the Bills trading down to the 20 range in the first rnd.

Kelly & I are thinking alike.

stuckincincy
02-24-2013, 03:07 PM
I'm not a believer of the Buffalo late season weather hypothesis and the strong-armed QB necessity. In the past 10 seasons, BUF is 34 - 55 in November and December; 11 and 27 in December. That's with sometimes playing teams out of playoff contention in December, or those that are in but wisely empty their bench.

Kelly's strong arm - fact is, come crunch time in 4 consecutive SB appearances, he didn't make the grade. That he's in the HOF (along with Levy) mystifies me.

better days
02-24-2013, 03:20 PM
I'm not a believer of the Buffalo late season weather hypothesis and the strong-armed QB necessity. In the past 10 seasons, BUF is 34 - 55 in November and December; 11 and 27 in December. That's with sometimes playing teams out of playoff contention in December, or those that are in but wisely empty their bench.

Kelly's strong arm - fact is, come crunch time in 4 consecutive SB appearances, he didn't make the grade. That he's in the HOF (along with Levy) mystifies me.

OK so you know more than HOF Jim Kelly about QB's & the qualities they need to play in Buffalo. I am convinced by your argument. (Sarcasm)

And by posting those numbers are you saying Fitz or Trent have strong arms?

stuckincincy
02-24-2013, 03:35 PM
OK so you know more than HOF Jim Kelly about QB's & the qualities they need to play in Buffalo. I am convinced by your argument. (Sarcasm)

BUF - successful under 0 - 4 Kelly, successful since, eh? Sorry - BUF ownership and doing what it takes to win is about the same as CIN ownership doing what it takes to win.

Sad, I know.

better days
02-24-2013, 03:38 PM
And 34-55 in Nov & Dec 11-27 in Dec is evidence a STRONG armed QB is NEEDED in Buffalo. You made the case for that, NOT against it with those numbers. The only strong armed QBs the Bills have had in the last 10 years are Bledsoe & Losman & I would not be surprised if they were the QB for many of the wins in that record.

DraftBoy
02-24-2013, 04:18 PM
Another SEC QB who had a big day was Tyler Bray, showed off some nice throws. He'll need to prove he's got game on the white board though.

fluteflakes
02-24-2013, 04:24 PM
It's not just the football IQ that bugs me with Bray, it's also the attitude and maturity. He just screams Ryan Leaf.

DraftBoy
02-24-2013, 04:42 PM
It's not just the football IQ that bugs me with Bray, it's also the attitude and maturity. He just screams Ryan Leaf.

Could be, but he could grow up too. His teammates loved him at Tenn.

X-Era
02-24-2013, 05:06 PM
NOBODY has more VALUE than a GOOD QB. No matter where he is picked. I would bet the 49ers or Seahawks would now be happy if they had drafted their QBs with their first pick. The Bills may be forced to pick the QB higher than they would like, but Nix has said LB is a position that good ones will be available later in the draft. So if they overpay for the QB & underpay for the LB & they both turn out to be GOOD players, it is a wash.
This not as linear as you make it.

Strategy is what can make a good draft a great one. If the difference between a guy like Wilson who might go in the late 1st and a guy you could get in the early second is small, it may make more sense to take the QB in the 2nd where the value at the pick is better... Theoretically, we would then get much better value from the entire draft than if we took a late 1st rounder in the early 1st.

And both the 49er's and Seahawks used strategy and came out with very good value.

better days
02-24-2013, 05:21 PM
This not as linear as you make it.

Strategy is what can make a good draft a great one. If the difference between a guy like Wilson who might go in the late 1st and a guy you could get in the early second is small, it may make more sense to take the QB in the 2nd where the value at the pick is better... Theoretically, we would then get much better value from the entire draft than if we took a late 1st rounder in the early 1st.

And both the 49er's and Seahawks used strategy and came out with very good value.

I think both the 49ers & Seahawks came out with good value. However the Bills tried to do the same thing & no QB fell to them so even though they drafted some good players, the past two drafts can be considered incomplete failures. I would take Kaepernick or Russell Wilson over any pick the Bills have made in the last decade. I don't give a damn how drafts are graded, I want a GOOD QB.

X-Era
02-24-2013, 05:49 PM
I think both the 49ers & Seahawks came out with good value. However the Bills tried to do the same thing & no QB fell to them so even though they drafted some good players, the past two drafts can be considered incomplete failures. I would take Kaepernick or Russell Wilson over any pick the Bills have made in the last decade. I don't give a damn how drafts are graded, I want a GOOD QB.
As do I.

But due to the high failure rates we have to be smart about when and where we draft that QB. It's one pick but it can affect the team in other ways.

That said, I think there are a few guys who may end up being in consideration there. And as a guy who has wanted the Bills to get the franchise QB for years, I hope they pull the trigger even if it's a bit earlier than the player should go.

Skooby
02-24-2013, 10:48 PM
Wilson, after a tradeback.

Frenchman
02-24-2013, 11:04 PM
We may need to look at down the line if not in 2013, if Fitz does not get it together a franchise QB. As they could probably beat Fitz even!

Bert102176
02-25-2013, 08:26 AM
The more I see of EJ Manual the more I like the kid

Bert102176
02-25-2013, 08:28 AM
We may need to look at down the line if not in 2013, if Fitz does not get it together a franchise QB. As they could probably beat Fitz even!

I think any of the kids coming out in the draft could beat out Fitz for the starting job day one if given a fair chance.

better days
02-25-2013, 09:11 AM
The more I see of EJ Manual the more I like the kid

I think he has a high floor, the question is how high is his ceiling? He had the best game at the Senior Bowl, has the size you want. I heard him on Sirius & he sounds intelligent. If the Bills draft him I'm on board even though I'm a Gator fan.

justasportsfan
02-25-2013, 10:05 AM
I think he has a high floor, the question is how high is his ceiling? He had the best game at the Senior Bowl, has the size you want. I heard him on Sirius & he sounds intelligent. If the Bills draft him I'm on board even though I'm a Gator fan.

he's growing on me too. I'm thinking Patterson with the 8th and Manuel in the 2nd