PDA

View Full Version : Official: Bills will not tender David Nelson

Skooby
02-22-2013, 07:29 PM
It flashed by me on TV, so I thought WTF?

ServoBillieves
02-22-2013, 07:47 PM
Our best slot receiver/great find not being tendered by the Bills? The guy who can run routes and has the size/ability to do top 3 talent on any National Football League team won't be tendered by the Buffalo Bills?

Here's my astonished face.

Seriously, this is a straw for me. It's not the final straw, but if you can get some legit information on this and prove it, then damn... I have plenty of reasons to be pissed. And please, anyone who wants to say "zomg not a big deal", Nelson is a great player. Please jump stats on me after he missed an entire season and is readily chomping at the bit to get back on the roster. He is almost always open.

streetkings01
02-22-2013, 07:53 PM
Nelson fit Gaileys system........Marrone may not see him as a fit. I believe TJ Graham is the only WR on the roster drafted by the Bills higher then 7th. Hopefully this means we'll add a FA WR and rookie to come in and compete. My guess is Nelson ends up a Patriot since The Hoodie wanted to sign him as a RUFA a couple years back.

Bangarang
Maybe they will try to re-sign him for less than his tendered amount would have been?

Perhaps they are worries that his ACL injury might effect his play.

JoeMama
It flashed by me on TV, so I thought WTF?

His tender offer would be 1.3 million, so we'll probably let him hit the market.

But I wouldn't be shocked if we re-signed him to the vet minimum shortly after free agency begins.

The Buffalo Bills are not expected to tender restricted free-agent WR David Nelson (knee), who missed all but one game last season due to a knee injury. Nelson is expected to be healthy, but a tender offer would be $1.3 million, and the team is struggling with the salary cap.

MORE (http://www.kffl.com/gnews.php?id=840441-bills-david-nelson-to-hit-market#ixzz2LgT5Duh5)

FWIW the dude's not a bad ball player.

Good route runner, finds soft spots in coverage, and converted some important first downs when healthy.

Definitely a step up from most of the scrubs on our roster.

Not a deal breaker if he goes though. Either way.

Skooby
02-22-2013, 07:59 PM
I was kinda of shocked to a point but the reality of the matter is we have a gameplan & whatever these guys decide I'll support, even though my initial thoughts betray this.

jimbohastle51
02-22-2013, 08:01 PM
If you read between the lines after seeing the team not tender nelson (if jason cole's report is true) or Jones it would tell you the team is more than likely drafting a receiver very high and are probably going to be major players in FA after at least one top tier receiver.

IlluminatusUIUC
02-22-2013, 08:08 PM
I like him, and I think they should at least toss the right of first refusal tender on him. At least they'd know what his market value was before he's signed off.

venis2k1
02-22-2013, 08:13 PM
I think we may be trying to tank the season.

streetkings01
02-22-2013, 08:31 PM
Why do I keep seeing reports that our salary cap is a mess? Are these reporters looking up old cap numbers from 2001? Aren't we under the cap close to $20mill?

JoeMama
02-22-2013, 08:53 PM
Why do I keep seeing reports that our salary cap is a mess? Are these reporters looking up old cap numbers from 2001? Aren't we under the cap close to $20mill?

For real, it's become a factoid. Even KFFL characterized our cap situation as a "mess."

Apparently having $20 million in free cap space constitutes cap hell now. If that's cap hell, I'll have some more please.

IlluminatusUIUC
02-22-2013, 08:57 PM
For real, it's become a factoid. Even KFFL characterized our cap situation as a "mess."

Apparently having $20 million in free cap space constitutes cap hell now. If that's cap hell, I'll have some more please.
We do have some bad contracts and high priced free agents, but I think we are in a very good position.

YardRat
02-22-2013, 08:59 PM
I like him, and I think they should at least toss the right of first refusal tender on him. At least they'd know what his market value was before he's signed off.

$1.3 mil more to put toward Levitre's contract, right? :D

I like Nelson, and he has proven to be an effective slot receiver, especially in the red zone. Hopefully they end up working something out.

TrEd FTW
02-22-2013, 09:17 PM
If you read between the lines after seeing the team not tender nelson (if jason cole's report is true) or Jones it would tell you the team is more than likely drafting a receiver very high and are probably going to be major players in FA after at least one top tier receiver.

I'm sure a guy like Dwayne Bowe is champing at the bit to catch passes from Ryan Fitzpatrick and/or Tarvaris Jackson.

YardRat
02-22-2013, 09:22 PM

We do have some bad contracts and high priced free agents, but I think we are in a very good position.

I would bet the team isn't as flush as some have indicated or would like to think, but also probably not as bad as others have recently made it out to be.

X-Era
02-22-2013, 09:28 PM
His tender offer would be 1.3 million, so we'll probably let him hit the market.

But I wouldn't be shocked if we re-signed him to the vet minimum shortly after free agency begins.

FWIW the dude's not a bad ball player.

Good route runner, finds soft spots in coverage, and converted some important first downs when healthy.

Definitely a step up from most of the scrubs on our roster.

Not a deal breaker if he goes though. Either way.
The second I saw that they think were struggling with the salary cap I discarded this report.

YardRat
02-22-2013, 09:33 PM
Who the hell is Jason Cole?

fluteflakes
02-22-2013, 09:35 PM
There is no way he isn't in a Bills uniform next year. He's easily got the physical talent to be a good player for us, if he can stay healthy this year, I expect good, if not great things. This happens a lot, we're most likely letting him go so he can test the waters and then come back for a vet minimum deal. Saving us a bit more cap and making it easier to bring back Byrd, Levitre and Leodis.

And yea, the idea that the team is in "cap hell" because we might not be able to resign our best player as the highest paid guard in the NFL is laughable at best. I think we make a big splash this FA again, maybe bring in a Bowe or a Wallace or a Harvin.

Edit: F me, this report was from a dolphins beat writer. Jason Cole did write-ups for the Phish when Wanny was their HC. Yea, I'll believe it when say, Schefter or Anderson reports it.

Bangarang
02-22-2013, 09:47 PM
Nix has already said we won't be active day 1 of free agency like last year. Don't get your hopes up on any big signings other than our own guys.

clumping platelets
02-22-2013, 10:18 PM
Our cap situation depends on how the Byrd and Levitre situations play out. If we were able to resign both or resign one and tag the other.........much of our available cap space is gone.

Wilson and Barnett cap savings basically equals Byrd franchise tag

Skooby
02-22-2013, 10:54 PM
Nix has already said we won't be active day 1 of free agency like last year. Don't get your hopes up on any big signings other than our own guys.

He'll be sleeping by 8:00 PM so it's expected.

Oldbillsfan
02-23-2013, 01:29 AM
Well I heard the Pats wanted him before, so.... :-/

Night Train
02-23-2013, 04:29 AM
Our cap situation depends on how the Byrd and Levitre situations play out. If we were able to resign both or resign one and tag the other.........much of our available cap space is gone.

Wilson and Barnett cap savings basically equals Byrd franchise tag

If Fitz gets cut, then the figure supposedly shrinks to 10-11 Mil, due to the 10 Mil dead cap hit, correct ? Then maybe we get another 5 Mil back if Kelsay is cut ? All so confusing.

Buddo
02-23-2013, 07:05 AM
I can't say I'm very enamored of this (non) move, if true. Nelson converted a lot of 3rd downs, and was a decent player. Sure, strictly speaking, no more than a 3rd or 4th WR, but well up to being that. He's also got better hands than any other WR currently on the roster, including Stevie. Something doesn't quite add up here, to me.
I'd be very surprised also, if 'twitter' should be the way he's going to hear about it. Doesn't seem like it's Nix, or Marrone's way of doing things.
If it does pan out as true, then somebody needs to find out how this information got out, as it's otherwise going to start our new HC off, on a very shaky footing in the locker room. From all I've heard, Nelson is a very, genuinely, decent human being, and being treated in such a disrespectful fashion, won't sit well with his team-mates, I'm sure.

Skooby
02-23-2013, 07:21 AM
David Nelson ‏@DavidNelson86 1 min ago.
Wow. If this is true- then I def do get all my info from twitter.. RT: @JasonColeYahoo: Bills not expected to tender RFA WR David Nelson

better days
02-23-2013, 07:48 AM
If Fitz gets cut, then the figure supposedly shrinks to 10-11 Mil, due to the 10 Mil dead cap hit, correct ? Then maybe we get another 5 Mil back if Kelsay is cut ? All so confusing.

No. If Fitz gets cut the Bills save another $450,000.

Yasgur's Farm
02-23-2013, 07:54 AM
If Fitz gets cut, then the figure supposedly shrinks to 10-11 Mil, due to the 10 Mil dead cap hit, correct ? Then maybe we get another 5 Mil back if Kelsay is cut ? All so confusing.Not correct... Fitz currently counts $10.45M against the cap... He will count $10M if he's released. The Bills currently have around $17M cap room with Fitz on or off the roster.

But if Byrd ($6.8M tag) & Levitre ($7M best case scenario) get $13.8M, that leaves just $4.2M to sign our rookies. I've seen it estimated that we'll actually need $5.5M for rookies... So we'd need to free up a few million still.

Good news is that if Fitz is released, we'll be clear of $8M cap hit in 2014.

better days
02-23-2013, 08:00 AM
Not correct... Fitz currently counts $10.45M against the cap... He will count $10M if he's released. The Bills currently have around $17M cap room with Fitz on or off the roster.

But if Byrd ($6.8M tag) & Levitre ($7M best case scenario) get $13.8M, that leaves just $4.2M to sign our rookies. I've seen it estimated that we'll actually need $5.5M for rookies... So we'd need to free up a few million still.

Good news is that if Fitz is released, we'll be clear of $8M cap hit in 2014.

I think with the cuts the Bills made & the increase of the cap to $122 Million the Bills are about $20 Million under the cap at this time.

Albany,n.y.
02-23-2013, 08:13 AM
I'm amazed by the fans of Nelson & Jones and their reactions when they heard the Bills new management doesn't want them. I told someone last season that the Bills receivers, outside of Stevie Johnson were in my words "total garbage" and I believe that Marrone & his staff came in, saw some tapes & have reached the same conclusion. I think the Bills had only 1 real NFL receiver on the roster last year. Also outside of Chandler, who is now injured, the TEs were garbage too. Now Fitzpatrick may be inconsistent & nothing more than one of the league's better backup QBs, but really, when you have guys like Jones & Nelson getting significant playing time, it means you have no receivers to throw to.
It's time us to applaud management for realizing that giving new contracts to dime a dozen receivers who will be lucky to get the 5th receiver roster spots on an NFL team next year would have been wasting everyone's time. It's time to move on from guys who are in the lineup because the guys running things couldn't find anything other than Stevie Johnson and a bunch of #5 receivers to make up the receiver group on the roster.

Yasgur's Farm
02-23-2013, 08:21 AM
I think with the cuts the Bills made & the increase of the cap to $122 Million the Bills are about $20 Million under the cap at this time.According to spotrac, you are correct. But it's not an exact science. And there are other sites with less optimistic numbers.

But either way, we don't have a lot of room after considering Byrd, Levitre and rookies. Plus... Teams generally need to have a few mill during the course of the season in order to bring injury replacements off the couch.

Yasgur's Farm
02-23-2013, 08:35 AM
According to this site http://www.nyjetscap.com/Bills/bills2013.php ... We had $20.9M room remaining (with $121M cap) before we signed Tarvaris Jackson and Colin Brown (combined $2.92M hit). That leaves $17.98M.

Night Train
02-23-2013, 08:40 AM
I'm amazed by the fans of Nelson & Jones and their reactions when they heard the Bills new management doesn't want them. I told someone last season that the Bills receivers, outside of Stevie Johnson were in my words "total garbage" and I believe that Marrone & his staff came in, saw some tapes & have reached the same conclusion. I think the Bills had only 1 real NFL receiver on the roster last year. Also outside of Chandler, who is now injured, the TEs were garbage too. Now Fitzpatrick may be inconsistent & nothing more than one of the league's better backup QBs, but really, when you have guys like Jones & Nelson getting significant playing time, it means you have no receivers to throw to.
It's time us to applaud management for realizing that giving new contracts to dime a dozen receivers who will be lucky to get the 5th receiver roster spots on an NFL team next year would have been wasting everyone's time. It's time to move on from guys who are in the lineup because the guys running things couldn't find anything other than Stevie Johnson and a bunch of #5 receivers to make up the receiver group on the roster.

Ding,ding,ding. We have a winner.

I don't dislike Nelson but explain to me how he's such an asset when he's on IR more often than not.

Let the new coach make his roster. Bills should get at least 2 WR's in FA or the draft.

psubills62
02-23-2013, 09:02 AM
Nelson has been OK, but I've not been a fan. He is a tweener; slow and plodding for a WR, but thin and lanky for a TE. I don't know why people have gotten so attached to him. It would not be hard to find better WRs or some actually TEs (which is a position we desperately need).

better days
02-23-2013, 09:03 AM
According to this site http://www.nyjetscap.com/Bills/bills2013.php ... We had $20.9M room remaining (with $121M cap) before we signed Tarvaris Jackson and Colin Brown (combined $2.92M hit). That leaves $17.98M.

I'm pretty sure, the cuts came after TJax & Brown were signed.

better days
02-23-2013, 09:09 AM
I'm pretty sure, the cuts came after TJax & Brown were signed.

I was wrong, the cuts came first, but I still think the Bills are $20 Million under the cap. Did the Jets have the increase in the cap in their figures? It was reported to be $120 Million at first, but was revised to $122 Million.

Yasgur's Farm
02-23-2013, 09:33 AM
They didn't give a league cap figure... Only the figures that would go against that cap... I just did the subtracting from the $121M. If it ends up $122M, then it looks like we're at $19M to the good.

ServoBillieves
02-23-2013, 09:58 AM
Nelson looked great in 2011 having been forced in to the #2 role. 600 yards and 5 TD's isn't half bad on a bad team. He's not a "#5" receiver by any means, but he's better than the other trash on the team currently, so it really does raise the question "are we tanking?"

Now before you just read that and start huffing and puffing, until something happens in FA or the draft, I don't believe it to be true. If we can pick up a decent, proven receiver in FA and also one in the draft to compliment Stevie and maybe a QB with an arm to throw to TJ... we can solidify that #2 role and I'd be fine.

A lineup of CJ in the backfield, Stevie, (insert name here), TJ, and Chandler on the field seems formidable enough to me, so much as the name can get the job done and take coverage off of Stevie. I like Nelson, and hell, I like Fitz as a person and as a player (surprisingly) but I know for a fact he can't get it done. BUT, what we also forget, is he wasn't given the tools to get it done, either. It's a lose-lose situation, and he deserves good backup money.

Still doesn't change my mind about DN, I think he was a good player pre-injury and if given time will pan out as a good receiver.

And Night Train, we usually agree, but "He's on IR more often than not?" He's been in the league 3 years... that's 1 season where he had a knee injury that took him out. Look at Stevie's numbers years 1 and 2 and tell me Nelson wouldn't have helped last years team immensely.

Thief
02-23-2013, 01:36 PM
Nelson is worth the tender and a solid slot guy. Oh, and if Fitz is cut his 10 mil cap hit can be spread out two years giving us 5.5 mil extra this year.

DynaPaul
02-23-2013, 04:57 PM
We can get the same average receiver for less money. I'm personally not heart broken that he's not going to be tendered. Money ball baby!

IlluminatusUIUC
02-23-2013, 06:01 PM
I'm not gonna say letting Jones and Nelson walk was a bad play. They were depth guys or slot guys at best. But I will say this, outside of Johnson, I think all the wideouts on our roster have less than 200 career receptions combined. OBD better be looking to invest heavy in the position in the draft or FA, or they must REALLY like what Brad Smith and TJ Graham bring to the table.

Bert102176
02-23-2013, 06:44 PM
I think we may be trying to tank the season.

I would be fine with that, I wanted them to tank so they could draft Luck

fluteflakes
02-23-2013, 08:09 PM
You shouldn't be fine with tanking, no matter how bad we are, I wanna win. Every year.

Bert102176
02-24-2013, 12:23 AM
Wanting them too is a given, but knowing that they won't be good or even decent should make you wanna be in position to win if we can tank and get say johnny manziel in the next years draft

YardRat
02-24-2013, 07:50 AM
They didn't give a league cap figure... Only the figures that would go against that cap... I just did the subtracting from the $121M. If it ends up $122M, then it looks like we're at $19M to the good.

Is there any roll-over from last season that needs to be included?

X-Era
02-24-2013, 08:05 AM
They didn't give a league cap figure... Only the figures that would go against that cap... I just did the subtracting from the $121M. If it ends up $122M, then it looks like we're at $19M to the good.I dont think that includes the roll over of 9+ mill. Your 19 + 9 puts us at 28 and I have us at 27.9.

YardRat
02-24-2013, 08:21 AM
Hey X...do you still have the links to the new CBA saved anywhere?

X-Era
02-24-2013, 09:55 AM
Hey X...do you still have the links to the new CBA saved anywhere?
Let me look...

Here:

http://nfllabor.files.wordpress.com/2010/01/collective-bargaining-agreement-2011-2020.pdf

Skooby
02-24-2013, 11:04 AM
Schef just tweeter this today as well, Nelson will not be tendered.

X-Era
02-24-2013, 11:09 AM
I'l be disappointed if we let him walk. I like David and he's been a success story here.

I do realize it's not a huge loss though.

Skooby
02-24-2013, 11:12 AM
I'l be disappointed if we let him walk. I like David and he's been a success story here.

I do realize it's not a huge loss though.

they feel our resources are better spent elsewhere, so it's ok.

better days
02-24-2013, 11:22 AM
Nix said the Bills have been talking to Nelson's agent about a contract. Hopefully they can get a deal done.

X-Era
02-24-2013, 11:29 AM
Nix said the Bills have been talking to Nelson's agent about a contract. Hopefully they can get a deal done.
I'd really like to see that too. I love what the guy does in the slot.

The Jokeman
02-24-2013, 11:38 AM

According to http://www.nfl.com/photos/0ap1000000133245/0ap2000000133192 the Bills are $16.7M below the cap which is 8th best in the league. In terms of David Nelson and the tender thing I think it's wise to not do so as he's a good player but e a role player at that and don't think he's worth signing to a contract bigger than is warranted for a 3rd or 4th WR.

jimbohastle51
02-24-2013, 11:59 AM
I never said Dwayne Bowe my friend (he is likely to be franchised anyway). I said the top tier receivers. Also don't be surprised to see the Bills draft 2 receivers in the first 3 rounds (possibly trading back up to get one).

DraftBoy
02-24-2013, 12:00 PM
No surprise he won't get tendered not a great fit moving forward.

better days
02-24-2013, 12:03 PM
I never said Dwayne Bowe my friend (he is likely to be franchised anyway). I said the top tier receivers. Also don't be surprised to see the Bills draft 2 receivers in the first 3 rounds (possibly trading back up to get one).

Well, I would be surprised if the Bills draft 2 WRs in the first 3 rnds. I would not be surprised if they draft one there & one later in the draft.

better days
02-24-2013, 12:06 PM
No surprise he won't get tendered not a great fit moving forward.

Why is he not a great fit going forward? Maybe he will have a QB that can get him the ball while he is in stride. I think it is just the money numbers.

X-Era
02-24-2013, 12:17 PM
Per V-text

fluteflakes
02-24-2013, 12:38 PM
I think this is more OBD's attempt to resign him to a long term deal. Rather than just let him walk.

X-Era
02-24-2013, 12:45 PM
http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-2/Bills-will-not-tender-RFA-WR-Nelson/d95ed5e1-8f60-4405-8226-af77e5702e8b

Buddo
02-24-2013, 12:46 PM
One can only assume that as it is allegedly a deep WR draft class, we will be loading up on them, in the hope of finding a couple.
Either that, or we are just going to run the football.
We have one recognisable WR who can actually perform at the required level on the roster now. While Graham still has potential, there's only Stevie that can be trusted .
Looks like we need to be mining FA hard for WRs.

Skooby
02-24-2013, 12:58 PM
Let's not start 5 he's not getting tendered threads, I can see it coming.

1.) LOL: http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php/217260-Official-Bills-will-not-tender-David-Nelson

Come on man.

X-Era
02-24-2013, 01:10 PM
Let's not start 5 he's not getting tendered threads, I can see it coming.

1.) LOL: http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php/217260-Official-Bills-will-not-tender-David-Nelson

Come on man.
Theres a difference between something that flashes on a TV screen or a twitter comment and a v-text from the Buffalo Bills. I'll merge to make you happy.

Because I'm here to serve you.

jimbohastle51
02-24-2013, 01:46 PM
Well, I would be surprised if the Bills draft 2 WRs in the first 3 rnds. I would not be surprised if they draft one there & one later in the draft.

We will see. I would keep an eye on Robert Woods and Aaron Dobson.

better days
02-24-2013, 02:14 PM
http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-2/Bills-will-not-tender-RFA-WR-Nelson/d95ed5e1-8f60-4405-8226-af77e5702e8b

Yeah, this is about him not being tendered. I did see elsewhere the Bills were talking to the agent about a new contract. I think it is likely to get done at a much lower number than the tag would have been. And with this draft being heavy in WRs, that hurts Nelsons leverage.

X-Era
02-24-2013, 02:28 PM
We will see. I would keep an eye on Robert Woods and Aaron Dobson.
There are many guys that could be very good in this class. My favorites are:

1) Cordarrelle Patterson
2) Robert Woods
3) Justin Hunter

Night Train
02-24-2013, 03:28 PM
Wouldn't be surprised if SJ eventually was moved to the slot. Lets see how this off-season plays out.

DraftBoy
02-24-2013, 04:13 PM
Wouldn't be surprised if SJ eventually was moved to the slot. Lets see how this off-season plays out.

He and TJ Graham both. Johnson is so effective underneath, playing that Boldin type role.

The Jokeman
02-24-2013, 06:09 PM
He and TJ Graham both. Johnson is so effective underneath, playing that Boldin type role.

The only thing that worries me abuot Stevie is in the WCO is his strength (freelancing) isn't a good thing. As to me the WCO is about precesion quick strike, move the chains type offense.

IlluminatusUIUC
02-24-2013, 06:12 PM

At some point, someone has got to line up outside and play flanker. Who will it be? Someone has to be the one taking on #1 DBs and creating this space underneath. Having a guy like Boldin is fantastic, but his job is so much harder without a Torrey Smith or Larry Fitzgerald to pull attention.

DraftBoy
02-24-2013, 06:13 PM
At some point, someone has got to line up outside and play flanker. Who will it be? Someone has to be the one taking on #1 DBs and creating this space underneath. Having a guy like Boldin is fantastic, but his job is so much harder without a Torrey Smith or Larry Fitzgerald to pull attention.

Patterson, Bowe, Rogers, Hunter options are there.

The Jokeman
02-24-2013, 06:20 PM
Patterson, Bowe, Rogers, Hunter options are there.

Patterson with pick 8 and maybe a day 3 free agent like Brandon Gibson could be part of the plan to rebuild this WR core I'd be in favor of.

Skooby
02-24-2013, 06:43 PM
Patterson with pick 8 and maybe a day 3 free agent like Brandon Gibson could be part of the plan to rebuild this WR core I'd be in favor of.

I'd be in favor of this as well, even though I'd like Nelson on the cheap.

fluteflakes
02-24-2013, 08:08 PM
Markus Wheaton? Tavarris King? Aaron Dobson?

Those are all guys with #1 WR upside, in Wheatons case, I think you could plug him into a #1 slot and get immediate results.

DraftBoy
02-24-2013, 08:21 PM
Markus Wheaton? Tavarris King? Aaron Dobson?

Those are all guys with #1 WR upside, in Wheatons case, I think you could plug him into a #1 slot and get immediate results.

I doubt any of those guys become #1's and Im really high on Dobson.

fluteflakes
02-24-2013, 08:41 PM
I love Wheaton's upside, I think he's definitely going to surprise some people. Less than Ideal size but he makes up for it through sheer athleticism. King has good upside. There is also Da'Rick Rodgers, guy has all the physical ability you'd want in a #1, just has character issues that will drop him.

Skooby
02-24-2013, 11:40 PM
“We spoke with David Nelson’s agent this morning and informed him that we will not tender David,” Bills General Manager Buddy Nix said in a team statement.

better days
02-25-2013, 12:35 AM
“We spoke with David Nelson’s agent this morning and informed him that we will not tender David,” Bills General Manager Buddy Nix said in a team statement.

You're a little late to the party.

Skooby
02-25-2013, 07:47 AM
You're a little late to the party.

LOL, who's party is this ?

justasportsfan
02-25-2013, 08:56 AM
yikes. Watch the Pats snag him and then give us more headache's