• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DraftBoy
    Administrator
    • Jul 2002

49ers are saying Alex Smith trade is done

Per Jason LaCanfora of CBS Sports, 49ers are saying a deal for Alex Smith is done. It will have to wait on a new league year which is 3/12. LaCanfora speculated it was Jacksonville or KC. We also know at one point the Bills were very interested.

New Jags GM David Caldwell has already said it is not them.

Stay tuned...
    COMING SOON...
    Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
    We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!
  • nolimit
    Member of the Official Drew Bledsoe Truce!
    • Aug 2003

Re: 49ers are saying Alex Smith trade is done

Perfect..now maybe the bills can land geno....wouldn't the chiefs learn from their last debacle of trading for a qb

Comment

• Gibby
      • Jun 2006

If Smith goes to KC its Matt Cassel pt. 2

Comment

• Buddo
        • Mar 2007

Hopefully it is KC, as that will increase the chances of one of the top QBs being available at the #8 pick.
        What it might not do, is increase the chances of there being a decent QB left hanging around by our 2nd round pick, as I wouldn't be at all surprised if Reid decided to take a QB at the top of the 2nd round.
        If, as reported, the Cards are enamored with Barkley, it might mean that we get the pick of the litter apart from him.

Comment

• fluteflakes
          • Jan 2013

Please, please based god let the Chiefs be dumb enough to pass on Geno Smith for Alex Smith, please.

If Geno Smith is available at #8 I will lose my ever loving monkey mind.
          Last edited by fluteflakes; 02-24-2013, 05:39 PM.

Comment

• IlluminatusUIUC
            • Sep 2012

Originally posted by Suetonius View Post
            Two critical differences.
            1) Smith has 5 times as many starts as Cassell had when he was dealt and
            2) Andy Reid is a much better QB coach than Todd Haley.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by Buddo View Post
            Hopefully it is KC, as that will increase the chances of one of the top QBs being available at the #8 pick.
            What it might not do, is increase the chances of there being a decent QB left hanging around by our 2nd round pick, as I wouldn't be at all surprised if Reid decided to take a QB at the top of the 2nd round.
            If, as reported, the Cards are enamored with Barkley, it might mean that we get the pick of the litter apart from him.
            Why would Reid trade for Smith and then draft another QB in the same year?

Billszone 2013 Prediction Contest winner!

Comment

• DraftBoy
              Administrator
              • Jul 2002

Alex Smith to the Chiefs would likely mean Luke Joeckel at #1 and that Brandon Albert is going to hit the market. I'd put the Mario move on him and kick Glenn inside to replace Levitre.
              COMING SOON...
              Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
              We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• fluteflakes
                • Jan 2013

Brandon Albert would be a huge addition. Not to mention gaining a potential franchise QB with one less team likely to Draft one in the top 8, this does nothing but bode well for us.

Well, unless the trade is TOO us.

Comment

• The Jokeman
                  • Dec 2003

Originally posted by Suetonius View Post
                  I don't think Reid be foolish to put all his perverbial eggs in the Smith basket and likely draft a QB somewhere in the draft. I'd imagine in Round 2 or 3 though as he might not be sold 100% on Albert being his LT and will take Luke Joeckel with the top pick.

Comment

• Mahdi
                    • Mar 2004

Just a thought.

What if the Bills traded a 3rd round pick for Alex Smith? Wouldn't that be a great deal in a draft year that is very risky with QBs? Alex was actually very good this year and his accuracy and arm strength were impressive.

I would be quite happy to have Smith for our 3rd while using the rest of the draft to take players who are actually worth their draft position rather than reach for a QB.

We could be free to draft a top rated defensive player with our top choice and then maybe a WR with our second.
                    Last edited by Mahdi; 02-24-2013, 05:47 PM.

Comment

• YardRat
                      Well, lookie here...
                      • Dec 2004

Originally posted by Mahdi View Post
                      Just a thought.

What if the Bills traded a 3rd round pick for Alex Smith? Wouldn't that be a great deal in a draft year that is very risky with QBs? Alex was actually very good this year and his accuracy and arm strength were impressive.

I would be quite happy to have Smith for our 3rd while using the rest of the draft to take players who are actually worth their draft position rather than reach for a QB.

We could be free to draft a top rated defensive player with our top choice and then maybe a WR with our second.
                      If we're going to blow 7.5mil in one year on one guy and ignore the rest of the team, it might as well go to Levitre and not Smith.

Yes, I went there...
                      YardRat Wall of Fame
                      #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                      #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• fluteflakes
                        • Jan 2013

A 3rd? Hell no that's not a good deal.

A 4th would be, or a 5th, but a 3rd? When we only have 6 picks? That'd be idiotic.

Comment

• The Jokeman
                          • Dec 2003

Originally posted by fluteflakes View Post
                          Brandon Albert would be a huge addition. Not to mention gaining a potential franchise QB with one less team likely to Draft one in the top 8, this does nothing but bode well for us.

Well, unless the trade is TOO us.
                          Albert is coming off an injury that caused him 3 games last year. Andy Reid has called it a significant injury. I can't see the Bills giving Albert the $10m it take to sign him. There's talk the Bears might be interested if he's available and with them having $13m of cap space it's possible unless the rumors of them franchasing DT Henry Melton are true. Yet I don't think they will as that means there'd be putting significant cap space on the D-line with Peppers the 2nd highest paid D-lineman in the league behind Mario. Toss in they now have an offensive minded HC in Trestman.

Comment

• fluteflakes
                            • Jan 2013

But Henry Melton is the best penetrating DT in the NFL, he was a great, great player for the bears last year. I don't think they could afford to let him go, given the lack of depth they have behind him.

Edit: And Brandon Albert gave up 1 sack in 14 games last year, I really, really don't care how much he costs, considering he's got massive franchise LT level ability.
                            Last edited by fluteflakes; 02-24-2013, 05:57 PM.

Comment

• The Jokeman
                              • Dec 2003

Originally posted by fluteflakes View Post
                              A 3rd? Hell no that's not a good deal.

A 4th would be, or a 5th, but a 3rd? When we only have 6 picks? That'd be idiotic.
                              Giving up anything for Smith is idiotic, the guy is making big money and we have money locked up already in Jackson and Fitzpatrick and I can't buy that Smith is better than either one of them. I mean he has a career completion percentage in the NFL of 59% despite completing 70% of his passes last season.

Comment

Working...
                              X