PDA

View Full Version : 49ers are saying Alex Smith trade is done

DraftBoy
02-24-2013, 05:13 PM
Per Jason LaCanfora of CBS Sports, 49ers are saying a deal for Alex Smith is done. It will have to wait on a new league year which is 3/12. LaCanfora speculated it was Jacksonville or KC. We also know at one point the Bills were very interested.

New Jags GM David Caldwell has already said it is not them.

Stay tuned...

nolimit
02-24-2013, 05:15 PM
Perfect..now maybe the bills can land geno....wouldn't the chiefs learn from their last debacle of trading for a qb

Generalissimus Gibby
02-24-2013, 05:16 PM
If Smith goes to KC its Matt Cassel pt. 2

Buddo
02-24-2013, 05:33 PM
Hopefully it is KC, as that will increase the chances of one of the top QBs being available at the #8 pick.
What it might not do, is increase the chances of there being a decent QB left hanging around by our 2nd round pick, as I wouldn't be at all surprised if Reid decided to take a QB at the top of the 2nd round.
If, as reported, the Cards are enamored with Barkley, it might mean that we get the pick of the litter apart from him.

fluteflakes
02-24-2013, 05:33 PM
Please, please based god let the Chiefs be dumb enough to pass on Geno Smith for Alex Smith, please.

If Geno Smith is available at #8 I will lose my ever loving monkey mind.

IlluminatusUIUC
02-24-2013, 05:36 PM

Two critical differences.
1) Smith has 5 times as many starts as Cassell had when he was dealt and
2) Andy Reid is a much better QB coach than Todd Haley.

- - - Updated - - -

Hopefully it is KC, as that will increase the chances of one of the top QBs being available at the #8 pick.
What it might not do, is increase the chances of there being a decent QB left hanging around by our 2nd round pick, as I wouldn't be at all surprised if Reid decided to take a QB at the top of the 2nd round.
If, as reported, the Cards are enamored with Barkley, it might mean that we get the pick of the litter apart from him.

Why would Reid trade for Smith and then draft another QB in the same year?

DraftBoy
02-24-2013, 05:40 PM
Alex Smith to the Chiefs would likely mean Luke Joeckel at #1 and that Brandon Albert is going to hit the market. I'd put the Mario move on him and kick Glenn inside to replace Levitre.

fluteflakes
02-24-2013, 05:42 PM
Brandon Albert would be a huge addition. Not to mention gaining a potential franchise QB with one less team likely to Draft one in the top 8, this does nothing but bode well for us.

Well, unless the trade is TOO us.

The Jokeman
02-24-2013, 05:44 PM

I don't think Reid be foolish to put all his perverbial eggs in the Smith basket and likely draft a QB somewhere in the draft. I'd imagine in Round 2 or 3 though as he might not be sold 100% on Albert being his LT and will take Luke Joeckel with the top pick.

Mahdi
02-24-2013, 05:46 PM
Just a thought.

What if the Bills traded a 3rd round pick for Alex Smith? Wouldn't that be a great deal in a draft year that is very risky with QBs? Alex was actually very good this year and his accuracy and arm strength were impressive.

I would be quite happy to have Smith for our 3rd while using the rest of the draft to take players who are actually worth their draft position rather than reach for a QB.

We could be free to draft a top rated defensive player with our top choice and then maybe a WR with our second.

YardRat
02-24-2013, 05:49 PM
Just a thought.

What if the Bills traded a 3rd round pick for Alex Smith? Wouldn't that be a great deal in a draft year that is very risky with QBs? Alex was actually very good this year and his accuracy and arm strength were impressive.

I would be quite happy to have Smith for our 3rd while using the rest of the draft to take players who are actually worth their draft position rather than reach for a QB.

We could be free to draft a top rated defensive player with our top choice and then maybe a WR with our second.

If we're going to blow 7.5mil in one year on one guy and ignore the rest of the team, it might as well go to Levitre and not Smith.

Yes, I went there...

fluteflakes
02-24-2013, 05:49 PM
A 3rd? Hell no that's not a good deal.

A 4th would be, or a 5th, but a 3rd? When we only have 6 picks? That'd be idiotic.

The Jokeman
02-24-2013, 05:50 PM
Brandon Albert would be a huge addition. Not to mention gaining a potential franchise QB with one less team likely to Draft one in the top 8, this does nothing but bode well for us.

Well, unless the trade is TOO us.

Albert is coming off an injury that caused him 3 games last year. Andy Reid has called it a significant injury. I can't see the Bills giving Albert the $10m it take to sign him. There's talk the Bears might be interested if he's available and with them having $13m of cap space it's possible unless the rumors of them franchasing DT Henry Melton are true. Yet I don't think they will as that means there'd be putting significant cap space on the D-line with Peppers the 2nd highest paid D-lineman in the league behind Mario. Toss in they now have an offensive minded HC in Trestman.

fluteflakes
02-24-2013, 05:52 PM
But Henry Melton is the best penetrating DT in the NFL, he was a great, great player for the bears last year. I don't think they could afford to let him go, given the lack of depth they have behind him.

Edit: And Brandon Albert gave up 1 sack in 14 games last year, I really, really don't care how much he costs, considering he's got massive franchise LT level ability.

The Jokeman
02-24-2013, 05:54 PM
A 3rd? Hell no that's not a good deal.

A 4th would be, or a 5th, but a 3rd? When we only have 6 picks? That'd be idiotic.

Giving up anything for Smith is idiotic, the guy is making big money and we have money locked up already in Jackson and Fitzpatrick and I can't buy that Smith is better than either one of them. I mean he has a career completion percentage in the NFL of 59% despite completing 70% of his passes last season.

X-Era
02-24-2013, 05:55 PM
I think it's KC.

The Jokeman
02-24-2013, 05:57 PM
But Henry Melton is the best penetrating DT in the NFL, he was a great, great player for the bears last year. I don't think they could afford to let him go, given the lack of depth they have behind him.

and Cutler has been killed year after year because the Bears O-line has been one of the worst forever. The Bears could be inline to draft a quality DT in the 1st Round this year if Melton is lost but there's also question what scheme the Bears will run now that Lovie is gone so the old Tampa 2 might be gone.

The Jokeman
02-24-2013, 05:59 PM
If we're going to blow 7.5mil in one year on one guy and ignore the rest of the team, it might as well go to Levitre and not Smith.

Yes, I went there...

I agree with this 100% To me the biggest thing on Smith is that Harbaugh didn't go back to him after Kaepernick took over moreso because Smith was nothing but a scrub before Harbaugh's arrival.

Arctic Wild Man
02-24-2013, 06:05 PM
Don't go buying your Geno jersey yet. Ariz is sitting perfectly to trade with the Jets (who need a QB almost as bad as us). The Cards need Oline help and a trade to move down just two spots and pick up a 2nd or 3rd round pick to boot would be easy to imagine.

Slim
02-24-2013, 06:05 PM
I think it's KC.

I do too, however I wouldn't be shocked if it the Bills. I'd be okay with with it if its a 4/5th rounder.

IlluminatusUIUC
02-24-2013, 06:08 PM
Alex Smith to the Chiefs would likely mean Luke Joeckel at #1 and that Brandon Albert is going to hit the market. I'd put the Mario move on him and kick Glenn inside to replace Levitre.

If we decided to throw out franchise LT money (not a move I agree with, but I'll roll with it), why not chase Jake Long? He's slightly younger and has experience against all the pass rushers in the AFC east.

YardRat
02-24-2013, 06:11 PM
I do too, however I wouldn't be shocked if it the Bills. I'd be okay with with it if its a 4/5th rounder.

I'd rather draft Scott from Arizona with one of those picks and pay him the commensurate rookie salary than blow a mega-deal with 7.5mil this season on Smith. Scott would be cheaper and has more upside...we already know what Smith is, and it's not much better than Fitz, if any.

The Jokeman
02-24-2013, 06:13 PM
Just a thought.

Teams don't just trade away franchise QBs. Teams trade away guys they think they can fool other teams can be franchise QBs or don't know what they have. Being there's enough tape on Smith already I peg him as another Bledsoe but that's unfair as Drew was more accomplished when we got him from the Patriots.

DraftBoy
02-24-2013, 06:16 PM
If we decided to throw out franchise LT money (not a move I agree with, but I'll roll with it), why not chase Jake Long? He's slightly younger and has experience against all the pass rushers in the AFC east.

True, I could be down for either.

better days
02-24-2013, 06:18 PM
- - - Updated - - -
Why would Reid trade for Smith and then draft another QB in the same year?

Why indeed. Oh wait. Isn't that the EXACT thing Seattle did LAST YEAR?

better days
02-24-2013, 06:22 PM

Yes, I went there...

Actually it is $8.5 including the Bonus he gets in March, but who is counting.

IlluminatusUIUC
02-24-2013, 06:27 PM

No, they signed Flynn to a small free agent contract and drafted Wilson in the 3rd. This is talking about trading for a guy who already has a starter's contract, potentially with the #65 pick, and then using the #33 on a QB as well?

fluteflakes
02-24-2013, 06:28 PM

No, it's not.

Flynn was a FA.

Strongman
02-24-2013, 06:45 PM
For what it's worth, from http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000144932/article/nfl-scouting-combine-what-we-learned-sunday

" Everywhere I go in Indianapolis, I hear someone say that the Alex Smith (http://www.nfl.com/player/alexsmith/2506340/profile)-to-Kansas City Chiefs (http://www.billszone.com/teams/kansascitychiefs/profile?team=KC) deal is all but done."

better days
02-24-2013, 06:50 PM
No, they signed Flynn to a small free agent contract and drafted Wilson in the 3rd. This is talking about trading for a guy who already has a starter's contract, potentially with the #65 pick, and then using the #33 on a QB as well?

Well, his contract is for about $3 Million less than Smiths but I would not call that small.

Skooby
02-24-2013, 06:57 PM
It might be the Bills, what if it is ?

Meathead
02-24-2013, 07:20 PM
Please, please based god let the Chiefs be dumb enough to pass on Geno Smith for Alex Smith, please.

it would be kinda cool for alex if they got his little brother on the team too

ServoBillieves
02-24-2013, 07:21 PM
It might be the Bills, what if it is ?

Then I'm going to have to ask what the hell we're doing with two high priced mid-range QB's on our roster and how that can be taken care of.

YardRat
02-24-2013, 07:59 PM
Steve Bono, Elvis Grbac and Joe Montana are all simultaneously shaking their heads at this very moment. Kansas City, where ex-49er QB's go to die.

Just FYI for all the Bills fans that complain about Buffalo's inability to draft a franchise QB...KC has never drafted even just one...ever.

fluteflakes
02-24-2013, 08:05 PM
Steve Bono, Elvis Grbac and Joe Montana are all simultaneously shaking their heads at this very moment. Kansas City, where ex-49er QB's go to die.

Just FYI for all the Bills fans that complain about Buffalo's inability to draft a franchise QB...KC has never drafted even just one...ever.

Hell, people who gripe about us not taking one in the first since 04'? They haven't taken one since Todd Blackledge. When we drafted JIM KELLY in the same draft. In 1983.

I actually do feel bad for Chiefs fans right now, but at the same time, it brings us the ability to land Geno Smith, and that, makes me ecstatic.

Seriously though, the Chiefs have never once, ONCE, developed a QB that THEY drafted. In their entire history.

That's insane.

JoeMama
02-24-2013, 08:12 PM
Then I'm going to have to ask what the hell we're doing with two high priced mid-range QB's on our roster and how that can be taken care of.

That would be my question too.

How is it we can't afford Levitre but we apparently have limitless piles of cash to lock up subpar quarterbacks?

YardRat
02-24-2013, 08:14 PM

How is it we can't afford Levitre but we apparently have limitless piles of cash to lock up subpar quarterbacks?

Fitz certainly cashed in, but his deal was easily fit under the cap and left money for other signings. TJax's contract I really wouldn't consider a 'pile of cash'.

fluteflakes
02-24-2013, 08:14 PM

Buddy thinks it's still 2005?

JoeMama
02-24-2013, 08:21 PM
Fitz certainly cashed in, but his deal was easily fit under the cap and left money for other signings. TJax's contract I really wouldn't consider a 'pile of cash'.

I'm speaking hypothetically if we picked up Alex Smith. It would certainly cost more than Fitz. There's a market for Smith for reasons I don't fully understand. He's terrible.

And T-Jax will receive 5.5 mil if he reaches some very pedestrian incentives.

IlluminatusUIUC
02-24-2013, 08:22 PM
Well, his contract is for about $3 Million less than Smiths but I would not call that small.
I would. Flynn only got $10 million guaranteed over the course of his deal. Smith is getting nearly $9 million guaranteed this year alone. Flynn's deal was high for someone with one career start, but way near the bottom of starting QB contracts and extremely easy to bench if some little half-pint from Wisconsin comes in and lights the league on fire.

YardRat
02-24-2013, 08:24 PM
I'm speaking hypothetically if we picked up Alex Smith. It would certainly cost more than Fitz. There's a market for Smith for reasons I don't fully understand. He's terrible.

I agree, completely.

And T-Jax will receive 5.5 mil if he reaches some very pedestrian incentives.

I dunno, he's going to have to start most of the year to hit the majority of them, isn't he?

fluteflakes
02-24-2013, 08:31 PM
I thought it was 4.5 with games started incentives, with a million dollar super bowl incentive?

If we make the damn owl I'm more than happy to pay him 5.5 million.

pmoon6
02-25-2013, 09:48 AM

Just FYI for all the Bills fans that complain about Buffalo's inability to draft a franchise QB...KC has never drafted even just one...ever.I always thought it was funny that Kelly and Marino went after Blackledge, then the Chiefs signed Montana to presumably put them in the Super Bowl only to have him die in the middle of a Bruce, Biscuit, Talley sandwich in the championship game.

RedEyE
02-27-2013, 11:09 AM
NFL.com confirmed that the Chiefs will be trading for Smith.

- - - Updated - - -

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000145687/article/san-francisco-49ers-agree-to-trade-alex-smith-to-chiefs?campaign=Facebook_news

Night Train
02-27-2013, 11:24 AM
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/eye-on-football/21779901/49ers-and-chiefs-have-alex-smith-trade-in-place-for-two-2nd-rounders

For two 2nd rounders.

MTBillsFan
02-27-2013, 11:33 AM
2 2nd round picks. not bad. I think it's still too high.

elltrain22
02-27-2013, 11:36 AM
No way I'd agree to two 2nd round picks, thats high way robbery.

Slim
02-27-2013, 11:36 AM
I always thought it was funny that Kelly and Marino went after Blackledge, then the Chiefs signed Montana to presumably put them in the Super Bowl only to have him die in the middle of a Bruce, Biscuit, Talley sandwich in the championship game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xrio6WEgW0o

Skooby
02-27-2013, 11:41 AM
San Fran is going to have too many picks, 12.

Generalissimus Gibby
02-27-2013, 11:50 AM
I always thought it was funny that Kelly and Marino went after Blackledge, then the Chiefs signed Montana to presumably put them in the Super Bowl only to have him die in the middle of a Bruce, Biscuit, Talley sandwich in the championship game.

Watch that vid again, he's getting sandwiched by Phil Hansen, Mini-tackle (Jeff Wright), and Bruuuuce. That's right, they're doing something our D Line hasn't done in the past few years, namely meeting at the qb

PTI
02-27-2013, 11:56 AM
Knew from the start it would take a minimum 3rd round pick to get him and he would not be cut.

psubills62
02-27-2013, 11:59 AM
I've read second plus a conditional mid-rounder.

Either way, good haul for SF and glad it wasn't Buffalo.

PTI
02-27-2013, 12:06 PM
Even Fitz got traded instead of cut. Jackson got traded. Sage Rosenfels went for a 4th rounder one year. It was crazy that people thought Smith would be cut. Teams would rather take the chance then wait for a player to be a free agent.

better days
02-27-2013, 12:09 PM
San Fran is going to have too many picks, 12.

Well, lets trade the #8 pick for 4 of those picks.

better days
02-27-2013, 12:11 PM
Even Fitz got traded instead of cut. Jackson got traded. Sage Rosenfels went for a 4th rounder one year. It was crazy that people thought Smith would be cut. Teams would rather take the chance then wait for a player to be a free agent.

Well if this trade does happen, it is team, not teams, but it only takes one foolish team to trade. And the Chiefs have been making stupid trades for mediocre QBs for a very long time.

fluteflakes
02-27-2013, 12:52 PM
Chiefs got ROBBED, that's basically a 1st round pick they gave to the 49ers for what amounts to a slightly above average starter on his best days.

But this means they'll pass on Geno Smith, so yay for that.

Don't Panic
02-28-2013, 06:32 AM
This definitely increases the odds of Geno being there when the Bills pick. No one is trading up for him so the question that remains is basically do the Cardinals draft him one spot ahead of us? I guess in theory the Jags, Raiders and even the Browns could be in play, but I'd put the odds of any of them drafting him at well below 50%. The Cardinals are the first team that I think would have to give pause... is it worth offering the Browns a 3rd to guarantee him or just roll the dice and see if he's there at 8? I'm on the fence on that one, but I think I'd rather take my chances and take what will be a good player at a need position if we wait and Geno does go to the desert. We'll have to see how free agency plays out.

better days
02-28-2013, 08:20 AM
This definitely increases the odds of Geno being there when the Bills pick. No one is trading up for him so the question that remains is basically do the Cardinals draft him one spot ahead of us? I guess in theory the Jags, Raiders and even the Browns could be in play, but I'd put the odds of any of them drafting him at well below 50%. The Cardinals are the first team that I think would have to give pause... is it worth offering the Browns a 3rd to guarantee him or just roll the dice and see if he's there at 8? I'm on the fence on that one, but I think I'd rather take my chances and take what will be a good player at a need position if we wait and Geno does go to the desert. We'll have to see how free agency plays out.

Reports are the Raiders may draft Geno if he is there when they pick.

Don't Panic
02-28-2013, 12:08 PM
Reports are the Raiders may draft Geno if he is there when they pick.

I wouldn't put it past them, but with two picks already invested in Palmer and a lot of needs elsewhere, I'd be at least mildly surprised.

fluteflakes
02-28-2013, 01:28 PM
They have a lot tied into Palmer, a third into Pryor, and neither of them played poorly last year. So if they did take him it'd be a surprise, they need a lot of D-line help.

better days
02-28-2013, 02:21 PM
They have a lot tied into Palmer, a third into Pryor, and neither of them played poorly last year. So if they did take him it'd be a surprise, they need a lot of D-line help.

IMO it would be no surprise at all. Palmer was drafted by the old regime. The new regime has no ties to Palmer. And Palmer is a totally different type of QB than Pryor is. If the Raiders draft Geno, he & Pryor are much more alike so the Raiders could run the same offense with either because they have a similar skill set.

IlluminatusUIUC
02-28-2013, 03:26 PM
TBH, if the new Raiders regime cuts ties with Pryor I wouldn't mind taking him on as our 3rd QB as a longterm gamble.