So The Bills Must Overdraft Another Locker, Ponder ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Night Train
    Retired - On Several Levels
    • Jul 2005

So The Bills Must Overdraft Another Locker, Ponder ?

This group is no better. Smart teams learn from the past that reaching doesn't work.

These guys looked so average today at the Combine. None look ready.

Draft an actual top 10 talent. It's not a QB.
    Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit
  • DraftBoy
    Administrator
    • Jul 2002

Re: So The Bills Must Overdraft Another Locker, Ponder ?

I think Geno is a legit Top 10 QB, and I like Wilson in the same area. After them though I'll pass until Round 2.
    COMING SOON...
    Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
    We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• cookie G
      • Mar 2003

Originally posted by DraftBoy View Post
      I think Geno is a legit Top 10 QB, and I like Wilson in the same area. After them though I'll pass until Round 2.
      Agreed. Still not sure about Wilson though, I tentatively like him 2nd best in this class, but I just have a bad Bobby Petrino feeling about him.

Comment

• YardRat
        Well, lookie here...
        • Dec 2004

Couldn't agree more.
        YardRat Wall of Fame
        #56 DARRYL TALLEY
        #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• fluteflakes
          • Jan 2013

Absolutely agree, reaching for a QB can cripple a franchise. You don't just take the table scraps in the first because "you need a QB" it has to be the RIGHT QB. Otherwise you're screwed for another 2-3 seasons, unless he's just Jimmy Clausen bad in his rookie year.

Comment

• Tatonka
            • Jul 2002

agreed.. no qb worth wasting the 8th pick on.
            "All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe

Comment

• jamze132
              Don’t hate…
              • Jun 2003

Originally posted by Tatonka View Post
              agreed.. no qb worth wasting the 8th pick on.
              I think Geno Smith is the only one.

Comment

• k-oneputt
                • Jun 2009

And what makes all of you believe that you, or the so called experts, can identify top-10 talent ?
                Or you can say one guy is in the 20-30 range but not the 1-10 range ?
                You think Kapernick and R. Wilson would go top-10 now ?

Comment

• mjt328
                  • May 2011

Disagree completely.

Although there are no slam dunks this year (like Luck or RGIII), there are probably 8-9 prospects with a good enough skill set to potentially become an NFL starter. I'm sure not all of those prospects will work out and several will bust. But there is also a good chance that a couple of them will become solid or very good. The key is for Buffalo's scouting department to do their homework and grab the right prospect.

You point out Christian Ponder and Jake Locker as players that were "overdrafted" for their draft position (I would throw in Blaine Gabbert as well). But you neglect to point out that Cam Newton was not a slam dunk as the #1 pick either - and many considered him overdrafted. There were plenty of critics calling for the Panthers to select Marcel Dareus, DaQuan Bowers, AJ Green, Patrick Peterson, Von Miller, etc. They were better value picks.

Many on this board are arguing that Buffalo should wait for the second round. They throw around terms like "Value" and "Best Player Available".
                  Here is a fun term that I like to use: "Supply and Demand."

History has proven - time and time again - that quarterback is BY FAR the most important position in the field. Even a smaller upgrade from Fitz to the quality of Andy Dalton or Matt Schaub could have a huge impact on our team. Bigger than signing Mario Williams. Bigger than retaining Jairus Byrd and Andy Levitre. Bigger than taking a receiver or linebacker with our top pick. That is why smart teams continue to (and will continue to...) overdraft quarterbacks, even with more talented players available. Miami learned this lesson the hard way several years ago when they took Jake Long instead of Matt Ryan. In 2012, they snatched up Ryan Tannehill with better players available. And even after one season...most would argue that it was the right decision. Back to Christian Ponder. The guy - at this point in his career - is not exceptional by any means. But the Vikings have been MUCH better with him under center, than they were with Tavaris Jackson the year before Ponder was drafted.

With the #8 pick, there is a good chance that Buffalo will have first or second choice on the quarterbacks available.
                  If they wait until the second round, that means Kansas City, Jacksonville, Oakland, Philadelphia, Cleveland and Arizona will have TWO chances at drafting a QB before them... not to mention the Jets getting an opportunity (assuming they also don't try to trade up). Instead of the pick of the litter, we get the leftovers.
                  2013 "My Should Have" Draft
                  Posted During the 2013 Draft
                  1 - (16): Geno Smith, QB, West Virginia
                  2 - (41): Robert Woods, WR, USC
                  2 - (46): Arthur Brown, LB, Kansas State
                  3 - (78): Quinton Patton, WR, Louisiana Tech
                  4 - (105): Barrett Jones, OG, Alabama
                  5 - (143): Brandon Jenkins, LB, Florida State
                  6 - (177): Da'Rick Rogers, WR, Tennessee Tech
                  7 - (222): Tyler Bray, QB, Tennessee

2013 Buddy Nix Draft
                  1 - (16): E.J. Manuel, QB, Florida State
                  2 - (41): Robert Woods, WR, USC
                  2 - (46): Kiko Alonso, LB, Oregon
                  3 - (78): Marquise Goodwin, WR, Texas
                  4 - (105): Duke Williams, FS, Nevada
                  5 - (143): Jonathan Meeks, SS, Clemson
                  6 - (177): Dustin Hopkins, K, Florida State
                  7 - (222): Chris Gragg, TE, Arkansas

Comment

• better days
                    • Jan 2010

Originally posted by Night Train View Post
                    This group is no better. Smart teams learn from the past that reaching doesn't work.

These guys looked so average today at the Combine. None look ready.

Draft an actual top 10 talent. It's not a QB.
                    Well, Nix has said 2 or 3 QBs in this class will separate themselves & be GOOD QBs. I heard a GM (did not get his name) on Sirius say there are diamonds in the rough at the QB position.

You could be right, NOBODY will be good from this group. But you are most likely WRONG.

Comment

• justasportsfan
                      • Jul 2002

If the qb that the bills want is there , they have to grab him regardless of whether he's a reach or not. I don't want them to grab one for the sake of grabbing one just like what they did with Losman. The bills wanted Big Ben (so did I) but no one wanted to trade with them to get him before Pitts could so they traded back in the first and settled for JP.
                      sacrifice1
                      https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• Night Train
                        Retired - On Several Levels
                        • Jul 2005

Originally posted by better days View Post
                        You could be right, NOBODY will be good from this group. But you are most likely WRONG.
                        Anyone else thinking " Irony " ?
                        Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• better days
                          • Jan 2010

Originally posted by justasportsfan View Post
                          If the qb that the bills want is there , they have to grab him regardless of whether he's a reach or not. I don't want them to grab one for the sake of grabbing one just like what they did with Losman. The bills wanted Big Ben (so did I) but no one wanted to trade with them to get him before Pitts could so they traded back in the first and settled for JP.
                          In hindsight, the Bills could have traded every pick they had in that draft to move up for Big Ben & it would have been worth it.

Comment

• Bill Cody
                            • Sep 2004

Not sure if Nix knows which is **** and which shynola. He liked Newton and didn't like Gabbert which was impressive but he passed on Kaepernick and Wilson. It's a tricky business. I was on board the Tyler Wilson train early but the hand thing has me wary. Not sold on Nassib or Glennon. Personally I'd like to be all in on QB's but I agree with Night Train, what's the use of overdrafting busts? We have plenty of cap space so my take would be send a late draft pick to to Seattle for Flynn, let him compete with Jackson as the starter and then draft a project like EJ Manuel in the 2nd. Cut Fitz.

Comment

• justasportsfan
                              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by better days View Post
                              In hindsight, the Bills could have traded every pick they had in that draft to move up for Big Ben & it would have been worth it.
                              In hindsight, we would have ruined every qb we touched .
                              sacrifice1
                              https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

Working...
                              X