• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mr. Miyagi
    Lecter's Little *****

• Sep 2002

Everybody says trade down

We're all draft experts here and say we should just trade down. Well, it takes another team who wants to trade UP for this to work. I don't see any MUST HAVE player that teams will be fighting to trade up just to get him.

And when was the last time the Bills traded down in the draft? Anyone remembers? Not.

Chances are, we'll sit there at #8 and take a player we want/need. If it means reaching for a Locker/Ponder type QB because we need a QB, so be it. Better than going into round 2 and have just crap to choose from, then end up going with Fitz/Jackson for another hopeless and wasted season.
  • Joe Fo Sho
    Making Spirits Bright
    • Mar 2006

Re: Everybody says trade down

Originally posted by Mr. Miyagi View Post
    We're all draft experts here and say we should just trade down. Well, it takes another team who wants to trade UP for this to work. I don't see any MUST HAVE player that teams will be fighting to trade up just to get him.

And when was the last time the Bills traded down in the draft? Anyone remembers? Not.

Chances are, we'll sit there at #8 and take a player we want/need. If it means reaching for a Locker/Ponder type QB because we need a QB, so be it. Better than going into round 2 and have just crap to choose from, then end up going with Fitz/Jackson for another hopeless and wasted season.
    If you're going by the Bills draft history, which it seems like you are, then that statement is questionable.

Comment

• Bill Cody
      • Sep 2004

This could be the year we break the mold and move down to draft a QB. Nix knows he needs a QB badly. But he also knows it's expensive to draft a player 25-35 spots ahead of where you have him rated. And after the Jets at 9 there's not going to be a team that's going to overpay for a QB. You're right he has to find trade partners. But he only needs one at a time. It can probably be done if he wants to do it. The value spot for a QB is right at the end of the 1st round. Nix likes to let the draft come to him but if there was ever a year for him to do an impression of Jimmy Johnson or Bill Bellichick this is it.

Comment

• OpIv37
        Acid Douching Asswipe
        • Sep 2002

No, it's not.

Regardless of position, we have to get #8 value out of the #8 pick.

A major reason why the Bills have sucked for the last decade is poor first round draft choices. Picking the wrong guy with a top 10 pick sets a franchise back two or 3 years, as we've seen first hand more times than we like to admit.

The Bills needing a QB does not guarantee that one will be available at 8. And this season is hopeless and wasted regardless of QB.
        MiKiDo Facebook
        MiKiDo Website

Comment

• better days
          • Jan 2010

Originally posted by OpIv37 View Post
          No, it's not.

Regardless of position, we have to get #8 value out of the #8 pick.

A major reason why the Bills have sucked for the last decade is poor first round draft choices. Picking the wrong guy with a top 10 pick sets a franchise back two or 3 years, as we've seen first hand more times than we like to admit.

The Bills needing a QB does not guarantee that one will be available at 8. And this season is hopeless and wasted regardless of QB.
          Picking the wrong guy in the top 10 especially a QB set teams back 2-3 years in the PAST. Not anymore. With the new CBA it is much easier to cut bait on a bad pick. I think value is a bunch of CRAP. You either get a guy that is good when you pick or you don't, PERIOD.

Comment

• Night Train
            Retired - On Several Levels
            • Jul 2005

If Levitre breaks the bank with another team, then we should pick one of those 3 stud LT's ( Joeckel,Fisher,Johnson ) and move Glenn inside. If we pass on one of those 3 for some raw QB at #8, I'll already know where the next 2-3 years are going.

I'll give Marrone the benefit of the doubt.. but Nix is still here (why?) trying to right his past mistakes with Gailey and Fitz. He shouldn't be the final voice on this pick and may be trying to force a QB on us to clean up his legacy. Hope I'm wrong.
            Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• mrbojanglezs
              • Jan 2010

Saying trade down is a cop out without any additional scenarios behind it to back it up

Comment

• OpIv37
                Acid Douching Asswipe
                • Sep 2002

Originally posted by better days View Post
                Picking the wrong guy in the top 10 especially a QB set teams back 2-3 years in the PAST. Not anymore. With the new CBA it is much easier to cut bait on a bad pick. I think value is a bunch of CRAP. You either get a guy that is good when you pick or you don't, PERIOD.
                Uhhhh CBA has nothing to do with it.

If you are picking at 8 it's because you suck. If you pick the wrong guy, you still suck and will be picking at 8 again in 2-3 years because you failed to make the team better.
                MiKiDo Facebook
                MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Joe Fo Sho
                  Making Spirits Bright
                  • Mar 2006

You don't see that there are different levels of playing ability? Good, great, exceptional, average, awful, bad, terrible, Maybin?

Comment

• better days
                    • Jan 2010

Uhhhh CBA has nothing to do with it.

If you are picking at 8 it's because you suck. If you pick the wrong guy, you still suck and will be picking at 8 again in 2-3 years because you failed to make the team better.
                    Even if you miss on the first pick, if you hit on the rest of the draft, the team will improve. In the past because of the high money paid to draft picks, teams were forced to keep picks for an extra couple years when it was clear they SUCKED. With the new CBA, that is no longer the case.

Comment

• OpIv37
                      Acid Douching Asswipe
                      • Sep 2002

Even if you miss on the first pick, if you hit on the rest of the draft, the team will improve. In the past because of the high money paid to draft picks, teams were forced to keep picks for an extra couple years when it was clear they SUCKED. With the new CBA, that is no longer the case.
                      Not true.
                      There are more players and better players available early in the draft.

Sure, you can find talent later in the draft and busts in the top 10, but generally speaking, it's easier to find that top talent early. It's stupid to go into the draft thinking "we will reach for a QB at 8 because we can cut him in 2 years if it doesn't work and find talent later in the draft."

They have to go into it thinking "which player can we take that is the most likely to bring the most improvement to the team?" It may be a QB, but with this class, I highly doubt it.
                      MiKiDo Facebook
                      MiKiDo Website

Comment

• better days
                        • Jan 2010

Not true.
                        There are more players and better players available early in the draft.

Sure, you can find talent later in the draft and busts in the top 10, but generally speaking, it's easier to find that top talent early. It's stupid to go into the draft thinking "we will reach for a QB at 8 because we can cut him in 2 years if it doesn't work and find talent later in the draft."

They have to go into it thinking "which player can we take that is the most likely to bring the most improvement to the team?" It may be a QB, but with this class, I highly doubt it.
                        What I said is VERY TRUE. I did not say draft a player a #8 thinking we can cut him in 2 years. BUT if you do miss on a player you can cut him after TC if need be. There are many pro bowl type players that have been drafted in later rnds. Just look at Tom Brady. He is just an example, but if you look at the HOF you will find MANY players not drafted in the first rnd.

Comment

• DesertFox24
                          • Jul 2005

Only trade down option would be if Eric Fisher is on the board some team will want to leap frog the jets.

Personally I have no issue with trading down as this draft lacks elite top end difference makers in the top 15, but it is loaded with solid starters in rounds 2, 3, and 4.

Comment

• Joe Fo Sho
                            Making Spirits Bright
                            • Mar 2006

What I said is VERY TRUE. I did not say draft a player a #8 thinking we can cut him in 2 years. BUT if you do miss on a player you can cut him after TC if need be. There are many pro bowl type players that have been drafted in later rnds. Just look at Tom Brady. He is just an example, but if you look at the HOF you will find MANY players not drafted in the first rnd.
                            Well "MANY" is certainly a relative term.

Comment

• OpIv37
                              Acid Douching Asswipe
                              • Sep 2002

Exception to prove the rule, again? It never gets old with you, does it?

The earlier you draft, the more players that are available, and its a better shot that you'll find someone good. Once we pick, there will be 32 guys gone before we can pick again, and they are 32 guys that other teams want to draft. We have to find talent at 8 rather than hoping we luck into a Brady.
                              Last edited by OpIv37; 02-25-2013, 10:49 AM.
                              MiKiDo Facebook
                              MiKiDo Website

Comment

Working...
                              X