PDA

View Full Version : Brady takes one for the team; the Pats were behind him

X-Era
02-26-2013, 05:18 AM
And there's rumors of side deals to compensate him in other ways. Free flights for Lance Bass to meet him wherever he is are probably one of those benefits...

Some in the league are wondering how the Pats are cheating now.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/02/26/teams-agents-wonder-about-brady-deal/

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nfl/news/20130225/tom-brady-new-england-patriots-contract/

"A Patriots (http://www.nfl.com/teams/newenglandpatriots/profile?team=NE) source told Breer that the Brady extension creates "well over" $30 million in salary-cap space over the next two years and $20 million for 2013 alone."

Cap hits:
2013: $13.8 million
2014: $14.8 million
2015: $13 million
2016: $14 million
2017: $15 million

As someone who despises Brady I want to believe the Pats are yet again cheating. But, in this case I actually tend to believe Brady just wants the team to be competitive and have cap room to add talent. He's taken less before.

stuckincincy
02-26-2013, 05:24 AM
He seems well-off as is. Here's a pic of his new house - complete with moat...

http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,20668715,00.html

Night Train
02-26-2013, 06:05 AM
You just know he shrieked over the phone with the girls, then ran out together to Macys and bought several pairs of Uggs.

DesertFox24
02-26-2013, 07:14 AM
Look Brady did not take a pay cut he lowered his cap number by adding three years on his deal for 9 million a year. He then lowered his 2013 and 2014 numbers by a combined total of 15 million, which in essence became a signing bonus that the Pats will not be able to spread out over 5 years.

Oh and the final three years of the deal are FULLY guarenteed so he is getting paid regardless, unless he retires before then, which he said he told his wife he is done at 40.

Look I think it is awesome that he signed on for an additional 3 years at well below market value, but lets not make it seem like he is giving money back. I would also like to point out that this is his 4th deal and he got paid slightly below market value on second and above market value on the third.

That being said if I was a pats fan it would make me happy and he is helping the pats out and I think that is awesome, but how many other QBs wives make 45 million a year, this guy does not need the jack at all.

better days
02-26-2013, 07:43 AM
Look Brady did not take a pay cut he lowered his cap number by adding three years on his deal for 9 million a year. He then lowered his 2013 and 2014 numbers by a combined total of 15 million, which in essence became a signing bonus that the Pats will not be able to spread out over 5 years.

Oh and the final three years of the deal are FULLY guarenteed so he is getting paid regardless, unless he retires before then, which he said he told his wife he is done at 40.

Look I think it is awesome that he signed on for an additional 3 years at well below market value, but lets not make it seem like he is giving money back. I would also like to point out that this is his 4th deal and he got paid slightly below market value on second and above market value on the third.

That being said if I was a pats fan it would make me happy and he is helping the pats out and I think that is awesome, but how many other QBs wives make 45 million a year, this guy does not need the jack at all.

And as you said, he will be 40 years old the last year of the deal, I don't know that he is being underpaid for an old man. His production will most likely be diminished for those 3 added years.

DesertFox24
02-26-2013, 07:49 AM
I apologize for repost but I am on really antiquated CPU at work and it will not let me edit my previous post.

The PATS CAN spread the 15 million signing bonus to Brady over the life of the contract, that is how he freed up space.

Thief
02-26-2013, 08:36 AM
This smug douche is so getting paid under the table.

better days
02-26-2013, 08:39 AM
I apologize for repost but I am on really antiquated CPU at work and it will not let me edit my previous post.

The PATS CAN spread the 15 million signing bonus to Brady over the life of the contract, that is how he freed up space.

And while the numbers are less, the money is entirely GUARANTEED. EVERY penny. If Brady regresses with age, he will still be PAID.

better days
02-26-2013, 08:40 AM
This smug douche is so getting paid under the table.

That would not surprise me.

HAMMER
02-26-2013, 09:33 AM
Brady is a good guy, this proves he is also a great team guy. So many jealous haters in the BZ.

OpIv37
02-26-2013, 10:06 AM
Brady is a good guy, this proves he is also a great team guy. So many jealous haters in the BZ.

He's not a good guy.

He sued a local car dealership because his contract with them ran out at the end of the month, but they had bought an ad that went to the end of the week, meanin they used his likeness for a whopping 3 days longer than they were supposed to.

He cried publicly about not getting his free Cadillac from the SB promotion.

He whined about Buffalo not having nice enough hotels for him.

He walked around wearing a Yankees cap, which is a slap in the face to all the Boston fans that support him.

And he's a baby daddy.

Look, I really don't care about any of this stuff because I've always said that athletes should be admired for what they do on the field and nothing more. Who they are as a person is irrelevant to their athletic ability. The only reason I bring this up is because you say Brady is a "good guy." Yet, these don't strike me as the kinds of things a "good guy" would do.

DesertFox24
02-26-2013, 10:16 AM
I agree with OpIv here. I dont care what the guy does in his personal life at all. I just think it is ridiculous that the media makes it out like he is taking a pay cut and this is the best thing ever.

The guy has two more really good years left and then his decline will start if not sooner, now he has locked himself up for another 27 million. Yes it helps the pats because they converted 15 million to a signing bonus and can prorate it the life of the contract which really helps them, but he did not leave money on the table and nor should he.

Just so tired of the media preforming felatio and everything Brady or Bill. Bill was an average head coach really good D Coord before he got the best all time QB, now he is all of a sudden the best coach ever. The guy is a flat out A$$ his super bowl walk off before game was over and refusing to congratulate Tom on the field proves it.

Yes they are a great team but Brady is why they are great because no one else on that offense skill position wize is worth anything on another team (Brady makes them all look that much better). Gronk and Hernadez would be nice players but Brady makes them look all world. I will admit though they do have a great OL.

Ginger Vitis
02-26-2013, 10:51 AM
this proves he is also a great team guy. So many jealous haters in the BZ.

Some of the haters are overlooking the fact bradys wife is the most higly paid supermodel in the world making twice the money Tommy Boy is.. Look I dislike Brady as much as any Bills fan but his new contract isnt shocking the guy only has a few years left to get another ring he is making it easier for the Patsies to bring in some FAs

PTI
02-26-2013, 10:51 AM
I think they said on Sportscenter Giselle made like 35 million last year. How in the heck does a model make 35 million in a year?

better days
02-26-2013, 11:05 AM
And now I am reading Brady will likely get a new contract in 2015 when the cap goes up.

lmcshadow
02-26-2013, 11:45 AM
And Brady looks at the crowd....YES...YES...... OH MY GOSH ....THERE IT IS BLUE STEEL!!

Goobylal
02-26-2013, 11:50 AM

Yep. Essentially Brady now has a 5-year $60M fully guaranteed deal. If he plays all 5 years, which isn't happening, it comes out to $12M a year and is a bargain. If he plays for 4 more years, which is also unlikely, it's $15M and still a bargain, depending on his level of play. However if he plays just 3 more years, it's $20M/year. And if he just plays 2 more years...

What it does is create cap room. But he'll they'll pay for it in 2016 and/or 2017. And they won't win another SB.

Joe Fo Sho
02-26-2013, 11:55 AM
This is his only chance at winning a legitimate Superbowl Ring.

ThunderGun
02-26-2013, 12:00 PM
Turns out, he got a raise:

Tom Brady gets $30 million to sign
So much for less money
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/02/26/tom-brady-gets-30-million-to-sign/

Goobylal
02-26-2013, 12:14 PM
Turns out, he got a raise:

Tom Brady gets $30 million to sign
So much for less money
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/02/26/tom-brady-gets-30-million-to-sign/
Read my post above. Depending on how long he plays (and it won't be another 5 years), it's not a bargain. But it's hilarious to hear everyone trumpet "he signed a 3-year extension for just $27M!"

The Jokeman
02-26-2013, 12:58 PM
I think they said on Sportscenter Giselle made like 35 million last year. How in the heck does a model make 35 million in a year?

Appearance fees, endorsement deals, etc. Celebrties/models don't just get paid for the physical work they do but also get paid to show up for things and give up their face (or body) to promote something else.Case in point there was a report that Kim Kardashian got paid $300k to just appear at a New Year's Eve party.

X-Era
02-26-2013, 02:35 PM
Ok, ok, so I can't do simple matti-matics...

I'll change the title.

Mike
02-26-2013, 03:32 PM
He's not a good guy.

He sued a local car dealership because his contract with them ran out at the end of the month, but they had bought an ad that went to the end of the week, meanin they used his likeness for a whopping 3 days longer than they were supposed to.

He was right in doing do so. They broke a contract agreement and took advantage and he sued them. Welcome to America.

He cried publicly about not getting his free Cadillac from the SB promotion.

Don't know the story behind this however, sounds like Cadillac was spending money promoting and this was part of that cost. If they promised him a Cadillac, he should get one. The fact that he 'cried' about it is even better for Cadillac and infers that Cadillac is so great that even Tom Brady would cry just to get one.

He whined about Buffalo not having nice enough hotels for him.
I dont know why people take facts and subjective experiences personally. I have been around the world, 20+ countries and in fact the Hotels in Buffalo pale in comparison. Buffalo is a small, economically challenged, dying city with little to offer in comparison with most great metropolitan areas. Again, this is a fact and calling a spade a spade should not be taken personally, instead find a way to make Buffalo better.

He walked around wearing a Yankees cap, which is a slap in the face to all the Boston fans that support him.
This falls into the category of 'too sensitive'. Brady is a West Coast guy, maybe he grew up a Yankees fan. Maybe they were his second love after the 49ers. Should he stop being a fan? More importantly, America is a Free Country -kind of- and he has the right to wear whatever hat he wants and if a bunch of crybaby fans can't handle it, well maybe they should see a shrink.

And he's a baby daddy.
This is a common trend in America and indicative of socialization. Single parents are a very common sight, along with a divorce rate near 50%. He is a representation of that.

Moreover, Brady has never had any major issues that plague so many of today's NFL players. Issues such as: domestic abuse, gangs, drugs, arrests, violence, trials, suspensions, etc...

Look, I really don't care about any of this stuff because I've always said that athletes should be admired for what they do on the field and nothing more. Who they are as a person is irrelevant to their athletic ability. The only reason I bring this up is because you say Brady is a "good guy." Yet, these don't strike me as the kinds of things a "good guy" would do.

I agree with you here. And what he did, taking a pay cut, does not mean he is a good guy either. What it conveys is that he has a team focus and is determined to win.

Lastly, if the Bills had Brady, all of the members on this blog would think he is the greatest thing since sliced bread. In my opinion, Brady is the same person weather he is a Bill or a Pat, who he is doesn't change based on where he works.

X-Era
02-26-2013, 03:40 PM
Lastly, if the Bills had Brady, all of the members on this blog would think he is the greatest thing since sliced bread. In my opinion, Brady is the same person weather he is a Bill or a Pat, who he is doesn't change based on where he works.
I would still hate Brady and think he's in the closet and a whining wuss overall even if he was on the Bills... FACT.

Novacane
02-26-2013, 05:03 PM

He's a saint. He should be the new pope :rolleyes:

Joe Fo Sho
02-26-2013, 05:30 PM

Your defense of Tom Brady is the worst thing I've ever read.

DynaPaul
02-26-2013, 08:29 PM
He won't see the end of that contract. He'll either get cut, traded, or retire. Bilbo Kraft is just paying him the money upfront.

fluteflakes
02-26-2013, 09:04 PM
I'm pretty sure he doesn't have to worry about money considering his wife makes more than his entire yearly salary in a month.

Hell, only took a 9 million dollar pay cut? He'll make that back up in a few months just from his advertising deals and apperance fees.

I don't believe he had any intent to take the cut to cheat, I think he just wants to win and help his team stay competitive. That said, this is CLEARLY cheating. It's tainting the market and lowering the value of every other QB, and the NFLPA is likely to throw a fit over this.

Owen DeBoard
02-27-2013, 06:08 PM
I agree with OpIv here. I dont care what the guy does in his personal life at all. I just think it is ridiculous that the media makes it out like he is taking a pay cut and this is the best thing ever.

The guy has two more really good years left and then his decline will start if not sooner, now he has locked himself up for another 27 million. Yes it helps the pats because they converted 15 million to a signing bonus and can prorate it the life of the contract which really helps them, but he did not leave money on the table and nor should he.

Just so tired of the media preforming felatio and everything Brady or Bill. Bill was an average head coach really good D Coord before he got the best all time QB, now he is all of a sudden the best coach ever. The guy is a flat out A$$ his super bowl walk off before game was over and refusing to congratulate Tom on the field proves it.

Yes they are a great team but Brady is why they are great because no one else on that offense skill position wize is worth anything on another team (Brady makes them all look that much better). Gronk and Hernadez would be nice players but Brady makes them look all world. I will admit though they do have a great OL.
Brady makes them all look that much better? I think its the other way around. The system Brady is in is perfect for him. Dont get me wrong he is a very good QB but I think that his WRs and RBs make him the player he is. Most of his throws are short and intermidate and he relys on his WRs and RBs to get YAC for him. Wes Welker, Deion Branch, Danny Woodhead, and Kevin Faulk are just a few names that have produced alot of YAC for him. Also when he had Randy Moss he would just throw it up and all he had to do was get it close to Moss and he would catch it.

imbondz
02-27-2013, 10:39 PM
one of the best thread titles ever. lol