X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DesertFox24
    • Jul 2005

Would it be best...

Would it be best to not draft a QB high this year and roll with Fitz or Jackson and then get a QB next year.

We could draft a guy like Xavier Rhodes at 8
    a big WR in round 2
    TE, LBs, later

Draft a guy like Matt Scott or Renfree (Duke) in rounds 5 or 6 and develop them into either a good backup or starter down the road.

Next year in my opinion has more options than this year. Granted I do not see a Luck or RG3 but I see guys I like more than this crop.
  • k-oneputt
    • Jun 2009

Re: Would it be best...

No it wouldn't be a good idea to go with Fitz or Jax for another year.
    There is no way Russ will be able to sell that to the fan base, unless you want to go 6-10 and have 30,000 people in the stands every home game.
    And if they take a cb at #8 it had better be Milliner. Although I do like Rhodes and wouldn't mind him in the 2nd rd.
    Don't even waste a pick on those two qb's. Backups at best in the NFL, and you can always find a marginal backup.

Comment

• better days
      • Jan 2010

Originally posted by DesertFox24 View Post
      Would it be best to not draft a QB high this year and roll with Fitz or Jackson and then get a QB next year.

We could draft a guy like Xavier Rhodes at 8
      a big WR in round 2
      TE, LBs, later

Draft a guy like Matt Scott or Renfree (Duke) in rounds 5 or 6 and develop them into either a good backup or starter down the road.

Next year in my opinion has more options than this year. Granted I do not see a Luck or RG3 but I see guys I like more than this crop.
      OK, who do you like in next years draft now? And will you like them as much at the end of next season or will they hurt their stock by having a bad season? Finally, what do you think of the Bills chances to have the chance to draft them next year?

And if this QB class is as bad as many people say it is there will be as many teams next year looking for a QB as there is this year. which is about half the league.
      Last edited by better days; 02-27-2013, 07:45 AM.

Comment

• mjt328
        • May 2011

No.

First of all, we have NO IDEA where we will be drafting next year. Last year, we picked #10 and missed out on the top three quarterbacks available.
        Over the last three seasons, the top rated options when our first pick came up were Jimmy Clausen/Tim Tebow (2010), Blaine Gabbert/Jake Locker/Christian Ponder/Andy Dalton/Colin Kaepernick/Ryan Mallett (2011) and Brandon Weeden/Brock Osweiler/Russell Wilson/Kirk Cousins (2012).

Every year, we hear people screaming "wait until the next draft" because the guys available are flawed. But when the next draft comes along, we are faced with the EXACT same situation... flawed quarterbacks that are risky. Yes, most of the guys we COULD have snatched up would have been bad picks. Looking back, I'm glad we didn't go for Clausen or Tebow or Gabbert. But then again, by taking a chance we could have ended up with Dalton, Kaepernick or Wilson. Even someone like Ponder or Cousins seems to have more upside than sticking with Fitzpatrick for another lost season.

Second, we have NO IDEA what next year's (or the year after's) group of quarterbacks will look like when draft time comes around.
        There was a time when Landry Jones was one of the top quarterback prospects in the nation. Do you remember... last year, we heard - wait until next year and maybe we can get Matt Barkley. Now that Barkely may fall in our lap, we don't want him anymore. Give them another season or two in college and we will probably see the amplified shortcomings of guys like Aaron Murray, Teddy Bridgewater and Johnny Manziel.

Third... Waiting another year to take a quarterback means that 2013 is already another guaranteed lost season. Our current top players - Spiller, Stevie, KWilliams - are another year older. We've got another group of free agents that need to be retained. Our contract with Mario becomes a little harder to justify.

Finally, this year's group - while not on the level of Luck or RGIII - has plenty of talent. Maybe none of them are worth a Top 10 pick to the "experts", but most feel that 2-3 quarterbacks in this draft are mid-to-low first rounders and another 5-6 are worthy of early-to-mid second round grades. I would be willing to bet that a few of them emerge as solid starters in the NFL, if not better.

Sure, the ideal situation for the Bills is to wait until the second round to get their man. But that means quarterback-needy teams like Kansas City, Jacksonville, Oakland, Cleveland, Arizona and Philadelphia will get two draft picks before we take a quarterback. The New York Jets will get one pick, assuming they don't trade up. Word out of Houston is that they will consider a quarterback with their first round pick as well. It's quite possible that 6-7 quarterbacks are gone before the #40 draft selection.

Personally, I don't think the non-QBs that will be available at #8 are good enough to justify taking the risk that we don't get the BEST quarterback on our draft board.
        Would you be happier with someone like Cordelle Patterson, along with a quarterback like Zac Dysert or Landry Jones?
        Or would you be happier with someone like Geno Smith, along with a wide receiver like Justin Hunter or Robert Woods?
        2013 "My Should Have" Draft
        Posted During the 2013 Draft
        1 - (16): Geno Smith, QB, West Virginia
        2 - (41): Robert Woods, WR, USC
        2 - (46): Arthur Brown, LB, Kansas State
        3 - (78): Quinton Patton, WR, Louisiana Tech
        4 - (105): Barrett Jones, OG, Alabama
        5 - (143): Brandon Jenkins, LB, Florida State
        6 - (177): Da'Rick Rogers, WR, Tennessee Tech
        7 - (222): Tyler Bray, QB, Tennessee

2013 Buddy Nix Draft
        1 - (16): E.J. Manuel, QB, Florida State
        2 - (46): Kiko Alonso, LB, Oregon
        3 - (78): Marquise Goodwin, WR, Texas
        4 - (105): Duke Williams, FS, Nevada
        5 - (143): Jonathan Meeks, SS, Clemson
        6 - (177): Dustin Hopkins, K, Florida State
        7 - (222): Chris Gragg, TE, Arkansas

Comment

• jamze132
          • Jun 2003

Originally posted by mjt328 View Post
          No.

First of all, we have NO IDEA where we will be drafting next year.
          Uh, yeah we do. Top 10

Comment

• DesertFox24
            • Jul 2005

I hear what you guys are saying and all but do you want to force a round peg in a square hole.

What if with the acquistion of a top flight corner we could have a jets or steelers style defense that is top 5 in both categories.

We all read what Metz had to say Fitz is average to below average and if you have elite defense he can win.

Look I want Fitz gone as much as the next but no one was thinking Russell Wilson was going to be any good this time last year.

I agree with the odds that most playoff QBs come in rounds 1 and 2, but if Marrone and Heckert dont see a guy they like or think can run their offense better why force it to sell seats.

Bottom line they start winning people will come back, if they keep losing even with a new face of the franchise they will stop coming.

I do not personally think there is anyone at 8 worth the pick and not just QBs this is a terrible draft to be in the top 10, there is a lot of talent deeper in the draft but not elite talents.

I would rather draft a stud at 8 and then trade up and get a QB, hopefully Tyler Wilson he is the only one I like and think could win in buffalo.

Comment

• mjt328
              • May 2011

Originally posted by jamze132 View Post
              Uh, yeah we do. Top 10
              True...

But even Top 10 is almost never good enough to nab a top QB prospect. Most years, Top 5 isn't good enough.

2013 Buddy Nix Draft

Comment

• Joe Fo Sho
                Making Spirits Bright
                • Mar 2006

Seems pretty obvious that the best thing we can do is draft any QB at 8, regardless of the expert opinions, and force him into a starting role this year because it worked for Russell Wilson.

Comment

• Ed
                  • Sep 2002

It might be what's best if none of these qb's end up being any good, but who knows what next year will bring. We might be in the exact same situation or worse. The reality is that a couple of these guys are probably going to end up being pretty good. We just need to pick the right one. It's a gamble, but you're never going to get a franchise qb if you're always waiting for the perfect scenario to unfold.

Comment

• Night Train
                    Retired - On Several Levels
                    • Jul 2005

Originally posted by Joe Fo Sho View Post
                    Seems pretty obvious that the best thing we can do is draft any QB at 8, regardless of the expert opinions, and force him into a starting role this year because it worked for Russell Wilson.
                    ..and then complain when we draft in the top 5-6 next year..
                    Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• mjt328
                      • May 2011

Originally posted by Joe Fo Sho View Post
                      Here is the thing.

Even if the Bills sign big name free agents and draft Pro Bowlers in the first round every year, I don't believe the Bills can compete until they get the quarterback situation fixed. It doesn't matter how good our defensive line is, or how great CJ Spiller is. The quarterback position will always pull us down.

I believe that even with the best team in the NFL around him, Fitz has a 6-7 win ceiling. And Tavaris Jackson is not going to be any better.

So... I would rather take a flier on a top QB prospect EVERY YEAR until we get it right, as opposed to wasting picks on safer players at other positions.

2013 Buddy Nix Draft

Comment

• k-oneputt
                        • Jun 2009

No qb, no play-offs, no Superbowl. Simple as that in today's NFL.

Comment

• sukie
                          Seriously?
                          • Sep 2012

Select a QB somewhere fairly high in the draft every year starting this year until you hit on one. Skill position players even on D mean jack without a good to great QB. We can build a really good D but the days of coasting with Dilferesque QBs is over.

I would rather waste QB picks and finally hit then speculate on who is a sure thing or not.

Comment

• Extremebillsfan247
                            • Sep 2008

If Russ Brandon is serious about building a winning organization, the last thing he should think about is how to sell it to the fans. Regardless of what fans may think of the product on paper, if it wins, it will sell, bottom line. Just saying.

Comment

• OpIv37
                              Acid Douching Asswipe
                              • Sep 2002

Originally posted by mjt328 View Post
                              No.

First of all, we have NO IDEA where we will be drafting next year. Last year, we picked #10 and missed out on the top three quarterbacks available.
                              Over the last three seasons, the top rated options when our first pick came up were Jimmy Clausen/Tim Tebow (2010), Blaine Gabbert/Jake Locker/Christian Ponder/Andy Dalton/Colin Kaepernick/Ryan Mallett (2011) and Brandon Weeden/Brock Osweiler/Russell Wilson/Kirk Cousins (2012).

Every year, we hear people screaming "wait until the next draft" because the guys available are flawed. But when the next draft comes along, we are faced with the EXACT same situation... flawed quarterbacks that are risky. Yes, most of the guys we COULD have snatched up would have been bad picks. Looking back, I'm glad we didn't go for Clausen or Tebow or Gabbert. But then again, by taking a chance we could have ended up with Dalton, Kaepernick or Wilson. Even someone like Ponder or Cousins seems to have more upside than sticking with Fitzpatrick for another lost season.

Second, we have NO IDEA what next year's (or the year after's) group of quarterbacks will look like when draft time comes around.
                              There was a time when Landry Jones was one of the top quarterback prospects in the nation. Do you remember... last year, we heard - wait until next year and maybe we can get Matt Barkley. Now that Barkely may fall in our lap, we don't want him anymore. Give them another season or two in college and we will probably see the amplified shortcomings of guys like Aaron Murray, Teddy Bridgewater and Johnny Manziel.

Third... Waiting another year to take a quarterback means that 2013 is already another guaranteed lost season. Our current top players - Spiller, Stevie, KWilliams - are another year older. We've got another group of free agents that need to be retained. Our contract with Mario becomes a little harder to justify.

Finally, this year's group - while not on the level of Luck or RGIII - has plenty of talent. Maybe none of them are worth a Top 10 pick to the "experts", but most feel that 2-3 quarterbacks in this draft are mid-to-low first rounders and another 5-6 are worthy of early-to-mid second round grades. I would be willing to bet that a few of them emerge as solid starters in the NFL, if not better.

Sure, the ideal situation for the Bills is to wait until the second round to get their man. But that means quarterback-needy teams like Kansas City, Jacksonville, Oakland, Cleveland, Arizona and Philadelphia will get two draft picks before we take a quarterback. The New York Jets will get one pick, assuming they don't trade up. Word out of Houston is that they will consider a quarterback with their first round pick as well. It's quite possible that 6-7 quarterbacks are gone before the #40 draft selection.

Personally, I don't think the non-QBs that will be available at #8 are good enough to justify taking the risk that we don't get the BEST quarterback on our draft board.
                              Would you be happier with someone like Cordelle Patterson, along with a quarterback like Zac Dysert or Landry Jones?
                              Or would you be happier with someone like Geno Smith, along with a wide receiver like Justin Hunter or Robert Woods?
                              1. 2013 is wasted regardless of what the team does about QB. We will be lucky to equal last year's 6 wins.
                              2. This is a long-winded way to say "Buddy Nix has pigeon-holed us into trying to find a QB in a draft that's weak on QB's."
                              3. The best QB on our board is not going to be very good.
                              MiKiDo Facebook
                              MiKiDo Website

Comment

Working...
                              X