How is Ryan Mallett a less attractive option than this QB Class?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • The King
    Without me it's just Awe so
    • Jun 2004

How is Ryan Mallett a less attractive option than this QB Class?

I know the knocks on Mallett coming in, he's a bit of a prima donna, and his mobility is an issue. We know he has a cannon, and he's spent two years on one of the best teams in the league.

In a draft class with so much doubt surrounding the top QB's how is it not worth taking a chance on Mallett, are the Patriots asking for some kind of ridiculous value? He's young, even if he doesnt pan out as a starter he's sound QB depth. I would think he'd be worth a package of mid round picks.

He would need less grooming than anyone in this class, and I would consider his upside to be comparable.

I don't want to hear Bledsoe 2.0 comparisons either because I don't think the compensation is remotely the same. Nor are the players in terms of age.

I just don't understand how this isn't a more popular option, am I missing something?
    I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?"
    "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet.
    You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times."
    It was all
    true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach.
    He sees something in me, some kind of raw talent that he can
    mold. But that's when I felt the handcuffs go on.

• k-oneputt
    • Jun 2009

Re: How is Ryan Mallett a less attractive option than this QB Class?

I liked Mallett coming out, and still do.
    I would take him today over Fitz and Jax.

Comment

• Night Train
      Retired - On Several Levels
      • Jul 2005

The knock on him was in big games that were close in the 4th quarter, he consistently choked.

Landry Jones probably idolizes him.
      Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• k-oneputt
        • Jun 2009

Lot of qb's choked against the Bama, Florida, and LSU defenses.

We haven't seen yet what he will do in the NFL, we know what we will get from Fitz and Jax.

Comment

• MTBillsFan
          • May 2003

Trade Fitz straight up for him. It can't be any worse at QB than we already are.
          Send me some wings!

Comment

• mjt328
            • May 2011

I really liked Mallett coming out. The talent was clearly there, and I always thought it was suspicious how people always brought up "character concerns" but nothing substantial ever developed. I was hoping for him in the 2nd round, and was furious when we passed on him again in the 3rd round.

With that said, I would be hesitant to pull the trigger on a trade.

The Patriots have now had 2 full years to train and develop him. With Tom Brady aging, there is no reason for them to trade away Mallett if they felt he could eventually take over the franchise. The fact that he's on the trading block makes me wonder. Even more suspicious is the fact that - despite several blowouts last year - they never made an attempt to showcase him for the league. With all the times New England has ripped people off in trades over the last decade, that should raise a big red flag.

Back then, I think Mallett was worth the risk. He was a productive college prospect with a rocket arm and lots of upside.
            Now, he's a two-year NFL backup, who doesn't appear (at least from the outside) to be developing into a starter.

If it wasn't the Patriots, I might still consider the trade. But in division, that's not worth a 2nd-3rd round pick.
            2013 "My Should Have" Draft
            Posted During the 2013 Draft
            1 - (16): Geno Smith, QB, West Virginia
            2 - (41): Robert Woods, WR, USC
            2 - (46): Arthur Brown, LB, Kansas State
            3 - (78): Quinton Patton, WR, Louisiana Tech
            4 - (105): Barrett Jones, OG, Alabama
            5 - (143): Brandon Jenkins, LB, Florida State
            6 - (177): Da'Rick Rogers, WR, Tennessee Tech
            7 - (222): Tyler Bray, QB, Tennessee

2013 Buddy Nix Draft
            1 - (16): E.J. Manuel, QB, Florida State
            2 - (41): Robert Woods, WR, USC
            2 - (46): Kiko Alonso, LB, Oregon
            3 - (78): Marquise Goodwin, WR, Texas
            4 - (105): Duke Williams, FS, Nevada
            5 - (143): Jonathan Meeks, SS, Clemson
            6 - (177): Dustin Hopkins, K, Florida State
            7 - (222): Chris Gragg, TE, Arkansas

Comment

• Extremebillsfan247
              • Sep 2008

Originally posted by The King View Post
              I know the knocks on Mallett coming in, he's a bit of a prima donna, and his mobility is an issue. We know he has a cannon, and he's spent two years on one of the best teams in the league.

In a draft class with so much doubt surrounding the top QB's how is it not worth taking a chance on Mallett, are the Patriots asking for some kind of ridiculous value? He's young, even if he doesnt pan out as a starter he's sound QB depth. I would think he'd be worth a package of mid round picks.

He would need less grooming than anyone in this class, and I would consider his upside to be comparable.

I don't want to hear Bledsoe 2.0 comparisons either because I don't think the compensation is remotely the same. Nor are the players in terms of age.

I just don't understand how this isn't a more popular option, am I missing something?
              I liked Mallet coming out of the draft. But if you want him as your starting QB, you better have a really good O'line. He's kind of a statue with a good arm. lol That's where I think the Bledsoe comparison comes in most with the most relevance.

Comment

• OpIv37
                Acid Douching Asswipe
                • Sep 2002

1. No trades within the division. No exceptions.
                2. If Bellicheck is letting him go, there is a reason.

I don't like any of the QB's in this draft either, but that's why Mallett is a less attractive option.
                MiKiDo Facebook
                MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Yasgur's Farm
                  • Feb 2005

Originally posted by OpIv37 View Post
                  1. No trades within the division. No exceptions.
                  2. If Bellicheck is letting him go, there is a reason.

I don't like any of the QB's in this draft either, but that's why Mallett is a less attractive option.
                  100% agree!!

I know it was done before with Bledsoe... But no way in hell do the Bills deal with the Pats.

Nice thing about this though... Another QB starved team will take the shot. That'll decrease demand on the draft class and perhaps drop good value to us in the 2nd.

Comment

• The King
                    Without me it's just Awe so
                    • Jun 2004

I'm hearing the value is a 3rd and a late pick... which is why I brought this up.
                    I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?"
                    "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet.
                    You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times."
                    It was all
                    true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach.
                    He sees something in me, some kind of raw talent that he can
                    mold. But that's when I felt the handcuffs go on.

Comment

• Bill Cody
                      • Sep 2004

Originally posted by The King View Post
                      I don't want to hear them either. Mallet won't be as good. Drew Bledsoe was a statue but the man would take a helmet in the chest to make a play. Every time I've watched Mallet he looks like a cat visiting the dog pound whenever the team he's playing brings pressure. Pass.

Comment

• Night Train
                        Retired - On Several Levels
                        • Jul 2005

Why not sign UFA Drew Stanton from the Colts, who played better at Michigan State then Mallet ever did at Arkansas. He should have been taking over for Sanchez last year, before Woody Johnson lost his mind and aquired Tebow. Stanton then demanded a trade from the Jets and backed up Luck in Indy.

Stanton won games at Michigan State by delivering in the clutch with a very average team around him. Can throw on the run. 6-3 225. Would seem to actually fit the Marrone idea of a mobile QB over a stone footed stiff like Mallet. Let him and TJax battle it out and hold the fort until an actual talent comes along.
                        Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• OpIv37
                          Acid Douching Asswipe
                          • Sep 2002

That's the best idea I've heard yet about the QB situation.

And by "best," I really mean "least bad" because we don't have a good option.
                          MiKiDo Facebook
                          MiKiDo Website

Comment

• PTI
                            Banned
                            • Jan 2011

I would take Bledsoe 2.0, he went to a Super Bowl and was a very good QB.

Comment

• Bill Cody
                              • Sep 2004

Originally posted by Night Train View Post
                              Why not sign UFA Drew Stanton from the Colts, who played better at Michigan State then Mallet ever did at Arkansas. He should have been taking over for Sanchez last year, before Woody Johnson lost his mind and aquired Tebow. Stanton then demanded a trade from the Jets and backed up Luck in Indy.

Stanton won games at Michigan State by delivering in the clutch with a very average team around him. Can throw on the run. 6-3 225. Would seem to actually fit the Marrone idea of a mobile QB over a stone footed stiff like Mallet. Let him and TJax battle it out and hold the fort until an actual talent comes along.
                              I like this idea. Stanton had a rough senior year at Michigan State which is why he wasn't a 1st round pick but he's a born leader and he has the size and arm to make it.

Comment

Working...
                              X