scartown
02-27-2013, 05:03 PM
Per the Bills twitter account

Lefty2985
02-27-2013, 05:03 PM
Didnt expect that!

Pinkerton Security
02-27-2013, 05:04 PM
Does that mean he no longer counts towards the cap? Prolly wishful thinking?

Crisis
02-27-2013, 05:04 PM
Nix is scurrying through the roster to find a mediocre white guy to overpay as a replacement.

ParanoidAndroid
02-27-2013, 05:05 PM
Well, thanksfor the years, Chris, but... :dance3:

BillsU
Good! Bring in new blood!

IlluminatusUIUC
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Bert102176
i just got the vtext thank u god

ParanoidAndroid
02-27-2013, 05:06 PM

Yes. He no longer counts.

BLeonard
Per V-Text...

Must have lot all of those compromising photos that he had of Ralph... Either that, or met with the new coaching staff and thinks that the free ride is over...

-Bill

coastal
:rofl:

retired?

he had to be blowing Brandon to go out this way?

that guy would have been out of the league 5 years ago were it not for the buffalo bills.

Mickey Mouse organization folks.

IlluminatusUIUC
02-27-2013, 05:07 PM

I think it's as if we cut him, so there's some dead money but mostly savings.

BillsU
02-27-2013, 05:07 PM
Yeah I'm thinking he was going to be told he was getting released and saved face by retiring.

more cowbell
02-27-2013, 05:08 PM
He said in an interview a while back that once he was no longer a Buffalo Bill, he would retire. People hated on this guy forever, I guess I may be in the minority of fans that had no problem with him. He was never a GREAT starter, but he was as solid, hard working player

Cleve
02-27-2013, 05:09 PM
The 24 Million Dollar Man is leaving?

Look at the guy's stats - he is bottom shelf in just about every regard except for salary. He's been virtually invisible the last couple seasons too. Amazing that he was on the team in the first place, and absolutely mind-blowing that he was given a lucrative contract extension.

Kelsay was a prime example of how bad, and how badly run, this team is.

coastal
02-27-2013, 05:10 PM
He said in an interview a while back that once he was no longer a Buffalo Bill, he would retire. People hated on this guy forever, I guess I may be in the minority of fans that had no problem with him. He was never a GREAT starter, but he was as solid, hard working player
At least he never used a sprained wrist as an excuse for sucking.

mad props Chris.

Bert102176
02-27-2013, 05:11 PM

yep it frees up his $

Pinkerton Security
02-27-2013, 05:14 PM
yep it frees up his $

WOOHOO!!!

BillsFever21
02-27-2013, 05:15 PM
Thank god. Only two contracts and about 35+ million later after his rookie contract he is finally gone. If that's what it takes to get rid of him I'm glad he made the decision for the Bills. Only the Bills would've signed somebody like him to contract extensions TWICE for 6+ million a year and had him as your starter.

When you hear the term used that you can draft this guy and he will be your starter for almost a decade in the Bills dictionary that means bums like Chris Kelsay. Good riddance.

Bert102176
02-27-2013, 05:21 PM
I think it's as if we cut him, so there's some dead money but mostly savings.
nope no dead money all he was due is now free to spend on free agents.

IlluminatusUIUC
02-27-2013, 05:29 PM
nope no dead money all he was due is now free to spend on free agents.

Do you have a source for that, because I've read the exact opposite.

http://russellstreetreport.com/the-salary-cap-impact-of-ray-lewis-retirement/

While the emotional impact of today’s news that Ray Lewis is going to retire after this season has yet to truly sink in, the 2013 Salary Cap ramifications are much easier to discern.
For Salary Cap purposes, the retirement of a player is treated exactly the same way as the release of a player – his Salary Cap number is reduced by any remaining unaccounted for yearly bonus prorations.

Kelsay has $800K in prorations left (http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/chris-kelsay/) so by my understanding that is dead money.

Generalissimus Gibby
02-27-2013, 05:31 PM
He's not gonna merge with Tiny Tim's Pizzarea is he?

tampabay25690
02-27-2013, 05:38 PM

I agree with you on this
Guy was never a superstar but a steady player that never *****ed or moaned....
Good Luck to him!!!!

X-Era
02-27-2013, 05:45 PM
Do you have a source for that, because I've read the exact opposite.

http://russellstreetreport.com/the-salary-cap-impact-of-ray-lewis-retirement/

Kelsay has $800K in prorations left (http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/chris-kelsay/) so by my understanding that is dead money.
I think they list as dead money if he were cut. I don't think there's dead money when a player retires. I'm not 100% positive though.

ServoBillieves
02-27-2013, 05:53 PM
Thanks for the 10 years of service Chris.

Buddo
02-27-2013, 05:55 PM
Irrespective of anything else, Kelsay always gave 100%, and there would be a lot of former Bills who couldn't honestly say the same thing.
Whilst in my opinion he's been overpaid, all teams need guys like Kelsay, as you don't get top tier athletes at every position, and for all that he became a bete noir, mainly due to his inflated salary, he wasn't actually a scrub, especially when opposite Schoebel.

SquishDaFish
02-27-2013, 05:56 PM
Not the greatest of players at his position but a great person and trooper for this team he was. Best of luck in the future Chris

OpIv37
02-27-2013, 06:11 PM

He was never a good starter. He was a decent back up.

The problems weren't so much him as a) the idiot coaches kept trying to use him as a starter and b) this guy kept getting contract after contract when the money could have been better spent elsewhere. Other than the kicker and punter (who don't really count), he's the only one that survived 3 full house cleanings. How the hell did that happen?

Yasgur's Farm
02-27-2013, 06:14 PM
He said in an interview a while back that once he was no longer a Buffalo Bill, he would retire. People hated on this guy forever, I guess I may be in the minority of fans that had no problem with him. He was never a GREAT starter, but he was as solid, hard working playerThank you... Well said... And a class sendoff for a class player.

Yasgur's Farm
02-27-2013, 06:21 PM
Dead money counts...
Cap Hit $5,975,000
Dead Money $800,000
Cap Savings $5,175,000

Our cap room should now be around $25M

X-Era
02-27-2013, 06:25 PM
Dead money counts...
Cap Hit $5,975,000
Dead Money $800,000
Cap Savings $5,175,000

Our cap room should now be around $25MI've got us north of 27 with Kelsay only giving us back 4.795. Where are you getting that?

THRILLHO
02-27-2013, 06:34 PM
~This just in!!!~

Ralph has offered Kelsay a lucrative retirement contract that will continue to finish his contract despite not playing.

psubills62
02-27-2013, 06:36 PM
Good luck to him in his non-football endeavors.

Yasgur's Farm
02-27-2013, 06:53 PM
I've got us north of 27 with Kelsay only giving us back 4.795. Where are you getting that?http://www.overthecap.com/teamcap.php?Team=Bills&Year=2013
Top 51 = $105,877,605 less Kelsay's $5,975,000 = 99,902,605
Dead monet = $5,358,705 + Kelsay's $800,000 = 6,158,705
Cap hit = $106,061,310
Rollover = $9,200,000
Total cap # = $96,861,131
Projected cap = $121,000,000
Remainder = $24,138,869

JoeMama
02-27-2013, 07:03 PM
No!!! Not Kelsay!!! He's an extreme sackmaster/ultimate playmaker!!!

X-Era
02-27-2013, 07:11 PM
http://www.overthecap.com/teamcap.php?Team=Bills&Year=2013
Top 51 = $105,877,605 less Kelsay's $5,975,000 = 99,902,605
Dead monet = $5,358,705 + Kelsay's $800,000 = 6,158,705
Cap hit = $106,061,310
Rollover = $9,200,000
Total cap # = $96,861,131
Projected cap = $121,000,000
Remainder = $24,138,869This is the same site that had us at 21 a few days ago... And they are accounting for some very strange dead money. McKelvin is a UFA but somehow has dead money for next year? That makes no sense.

Buff News had us at 16.7 in room before a single cut and then we cut another ~8.5 in the cuts I listed in the Salary Cap thread... And that's before Kelsay's retirement.

Not saying it's impossible but it's changing too much and not making much sense.

Yasgur's Farm
02-27-2013, 07:21 PM
Gotta account for Tarvaris Jackson and Colin Brown signings.

X-Era
02-27-2013, 07:24 PM
Gotta account for Tarvaris Jackson and Colin Brown signings.I did.

It's their goofy dead money. I mean how do you count a UFA's contract money as dead money?

Yasgur's Farm
02-27-2013, 07:28 PM
I hear ya... It's tuff to know who to believe on this... Maybe clump can chime in.

X-Era
02-27-2013, 07:30 PM
I hear ya... It's tuff to know who to believe on this... Maybe clump can chime in.Check out the Salary Cap thread... Jay Skurski (Buff News) just said we have 28+ mill in room...

But I totally agree... I'm using someones numbers from the internet that they probably got from someone on the internet...

YardRat
02-27-2013, 07:46 PM
I have to admit, back when Kelsay was drafted he was the guy I wanted with our first round pick. I was pretty pissed when we snagged McGahee instead. I calmed down a little bit when we still got him in the second, but at the same time started wondering why he would drop so far that we would get another chance at him.

Best of luck in the future, Chris, whatever that may hold for you.

fluteflakes
02-27-2013, 08:11 PM
Great guy, great locker room presence, great Leader, mediocre player. Wish him the best, but it's been about 2 years overdue at this point.

justasportsfan
02-27-2013, 08:30 PM

he was nothing great but a very good role player.

venis2k1
02-27-2013, 08:39 PM
The last of the 3 amigos finally hangs up his guns. Thanks for the memories like the Monday night game we almost won against Dallas. And the...ummm....well, thanks for the memory anyways. Besides being the final thread to the Tom Donahoe era, Kelsey was the longest tenured Bill. Leaving Kyle Williams(05) and Stevie Johnson(08) as the only players on the club the team drafted before 2009.

Bert102176
02-27-2013, 11:59 PM
Kelsey retired there for he forfitted any money left that was for his contract .

Extremebillsfan247
02-28-2013, 12:07 AM
Congrats to Kelsay on his retirement. I have nothing bad to say about him. He wasn't the most talented on the team but gave it everything he had every game. That's commendable in my opinion.

Night Train
02-28-2013, 04:14 AM
Thank you...and goodbye.

On to the future without the losing past. ..so we hope..

Yasgur's Farm
02-28-2013, 05:33 AM
Kelsey retired there for he forfitted any money left that was for his contract .True... But all amortized bonus money comes due as far as the cap is concerned... He already pocketed that money.

Yasgur's Farm
02-28-2013, 05:43 AM
I did.

It's their goofy dead money. I mean how do you count a UFA's contract money as dead money?The dead money could be due to unlikely to be earned bonuses that must be accounted for.

X-Era
02-28-2013, 06:03 AM
The dead money could be due to unlikely to be earned bonuses that must be accounted for.
I've never heard of extending any accountable money beyond the life of a contract. Even when a player is cut, dead money still falls under the years of the original contract. That would be like setting up a 5 year deal but having the contract still count in year 6 after the deal is dead... It even seems like a contradiction in terms... 5 year deal?

A 5 year rookie deal with some sort of cap money in year 6? I've never heard of that. Maybe they simply are accounting for dead money on this deal until it ends on March 12th when the player truly becomes a UFA and the contract ends.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/leodis-mckelvin/

The King
02-28-2013, 06:48 AM

I feel the same way. It isnt his fault he wasnt that talented and the team payed him a ton of cash. He worked hard, he just wasnt that good. Who was the last player to play his whole career and retire in Buffalo, seems likes it been a while.

sukie
02-28-2013, 06:52 AM
No MORE PINK DEs please.

Fixxxer
02-28-2013, 07:23 AM
I coulnd't stand the plays this guy left on the field, time after time. Players usually don't follow guys that can't make plays on the field consistently and that was one of the things wrong the years he was with the Bills.

Glad he retired and hopefully his neck injury is not too serious for him to live a normal life.

Scumbag College
02-28-2013, 07:50 AM
Which defensive player are we going to bash the **** out of now on Billszone?

Night Train
02-28-2013, 09:10 AM

Aaron Williams, Brad Smith & Fitz. Don't limit the hate to just the D.

Historian
02-28-2013, 09:17 AM
THERE IS A GOD!!!!!

Yasgur's Farm
02-28-2013, 09:34 AM
I've never heard of extending any accountable money beyond the life of a contract. Even when a player is cut, dead money still falls under the years of the original contract. That would be like setting up a 5 year deal but having the contract still count in year 6 after the deal is dead... It even seems like a contradiction in terms... 5 year deal?

A 5 year rookie deal with some sort of cap money in year 6? I've never heard of that. Maybe they simply are accounting for dead money on this deal until it ends on March 12th when the player truly becomes a UFA and the contract ends.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/leodis-mckelvin/ Not to be argumentative... Because I really don't know for sure... But, to the best of my understanding, LTBE bonuses are included in the current years salary cap numbers while NLTBE bonuses are not. If not, then it makes sense to me that they need to be accounted for in the next league year... Similar to how amortized bonus $'s come due even after a player is released, traded or retires prior to the beginning of the league year.

Either way, due to rollover from 2012, those NLTBE bonuses would come off of current cap availability. We really need Clump... But here's a link I found.

http://www.askthecommish.com/SalaryCap/faq.aspx

All incentives are included in team salary if they are "likely to be earned" (LTBE). LTBE incentives are performance levels that the player or team has reached in the previous year.
For example, if a quarterback threw twenty touchdowns last year and his incentive clause for this year is set at fifteen touchdowns, then this incentive is “likely to be earned.” Also, incentives that are in the sole control of the player, like non-guaranteed reporting bonuses and off-season workout and weight bonuses, are considered LTBE.

An impartial arbitrator will hear disputes between the owners and the players concerning what should be considered LTBE (especially for rookies or veterans who did not play in the prior year). Conversely, if a player did not reach the performance incentive in the previous year, the incentive is deemed "not likely to be earned" (NLTBE) and is not included in team salary.

To determine whether a clause is LTBE or NLTBE for Salary Cap purposes (i.e., not whether the player actually earned the incentive), it is necessary to look at the performance of the team in the prior season, not the current season.

Bert102176
02-28-2013, 10:32 AM

Mark Anderson

Ed
02-28-2013, 11:27 AM
Classy guy that worked hard, but it's probably for the best. I'm betting his neck injury last year could have played a role in his decision.

X-Era
02-28-2013, 01:04 PM
Not to be argumentative... Because I really don't know for sure... But, to the best of my understanding, LTBE bonuses are included in the current years salary cap numbers while NLTBE bonuses are not. If not, then it makes sense to me that they need to be accounted for in the next league year... Similar to how amortized bonus $'s come due even after a player is released, traded or retires prior to the beginning of the league year.

Either way, due to rollover from 2012, those NLTBE bonuses would come off of current cap availability. We really need Clump... But here's a link I found.

http://www.askthecommish.com/SalaryCap/faq.aspxI don't take it as argumentative at all. It's the offseason and this is part of what we can talk about. I was looking at it like ammortized bonuses where it can only be spread and accounted for during the years of the contract... So when you cut a player the bonus money still counts against the cap until the original contract years expire. This seems different where the contract will end but somehow we have to account for money from that contract into a year after the contract is done? That just doesn't make sense to me.

I would think that if you sign a player to 5 years and he walks after the 5th year, that contract and all of its cap hit is done... that the cap hit from a contract is over when the contract (at it's original length) is over.

And I didn't think McKelvin was a 6 year deal with the last year voidable either. I thought it was a straight 5 year deal.

Yasgur's Farm
02-28-2013, 03:01 PM
It is strange... And I don't know that this is the case. The perception is that we are already into the new league year... The truth is, we're still a couple weeks out.

Is McKelvin the only one you see that falls in this category?

X-Era
03-01-2013, 05:50 AM
It is strange... And I don't know that this is the case. The perception is that we are already into the new league year... The truth is, we're still a couple weeks out.

Is McKelvin the only one you see that falls in this category?No. But the other scenarios are different. All of McGee's salary counts as dead money for some reason. Morrison is still on the current roster yet has dead money.

It's just odd to me.