PDA

View Full Version : With Just 6 Picks, Bills Should Plan On Being VERY Active in March FA

Night Train
02-28-2013, 10:32 AM
https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/01/07/2013-pff-free-agency-tracker/

One would think Pettine needs a couple of his former Raven/Jet players here to help convert the D scheme. LB Paul Kruger has been mentioned and he would cost. Need a 2nd LB in addition.

I see a boatload of vet WR's &,CB's. Make a run at the right ones, especially WR's. Rookie WR's usually do little. CB's can be had on draft weekend with the deep class this year, if not in March.

Todays posted fig of 28.3 Mil with the Kelsay exit gives the team soom room. I think Byrd will stick with either a new deal or the Tag. Not so sure on Levitre, if his reported fig is sky high.

If Levitre walks, I wouldn't want to pass on any of those 3 LT's (Fisher,Johnson,Joeckel) if one falls to #8 on draft weekend. Kick Glenn inside. They are more of a sure thing than any LB, QB or WR at #8. Select wisely and maybe you won't be back in the top 10 (yet AGAIN) next year. Solidify the line and don't forget Eric Wood needs a new deal next year. Won't cost what Levitre does.

Bring in FA QB Drew Stanton from Indy to compete with TJax, since Stanton should have been starting last year in place of Sanchez but the Jets aquired Tebow Mania late, causing a late trade where he sat behind Luck. He has mobility and can throw on the run, which would seem to fit what Marrone wants. Could still draft another QB in the 2nd/3rd round and cut Fitz. He needs to be off this roster.

Could cut Brad Smith, Moats..reach an injury settlement with Chadler, if it looks like he won't be ready to play next season. That saves another 5-6 Mil. We need multiple starting players and can't keep paying guys that aren't getting snaps.

Take the pressure off draft weekend by filling some holes in March, so we'll quit obsessing over that #8 selection, as if it's the one and only move we have left to make or break our future. Take the pressure off draft weekend by putting in the work next month.

We need multiple moves.. and known commodities in March are available.

Skooby
02-28-2013, 10:43 AM
Another reason to tradeback & pick up extra early round picks.

kingJofNYC
02-28-2013, 10:57 AM
Keep dreaming, they were aggressive last year and won't be able to sign two of their best players, though they'll keep Byrd via tag

TacklingDummy
02-28-2013, 11:04 AM
Please don't pick Geno Smith.

coastal
02-28-2013, 11:57 AM
If we draft one of the top OTs, Glenn should get moved to RT.

xXSpIkes5IXx
02-28-2013, 11:59 AM
If Levitre walks, I wouldn't want to pass on any of those 3 LT's (Fisher,Johnson,Joeckel) if one falls to #8 on draft weekend. Kick Glenn inside. They are more of a sure thing than any LB, QB or WR at #8. Select wisely and maybe you won't be back in the top 10 (yet AGAIN) next year. Solidify the line and don't forget Eric Wood needs a new deal next year. Won't cost what Levitre does.

Why would we kick Glenn inside when we have Eric Pears/Chris Hairston at Right Tackle?

THRILLHO
02-28-2013, 12:33 PM
We will be very active in FA. Just not in the way we all want or hope. We will be active in the sense we will be signing a lot of second and third tier players, not signing the "big" names.

Bangarang
02-28-2013, 12:43 PM
If we draft one of the top OTs, Glenn should get moved to RT.

No

better days
02-28-2013, 02:42 PM
Keep dreaming, they were aggressive last year and won't be able to sign two of their best players, though they'll keep Byrd via tag

I remember the same thing said last year. There is no way the Bills will resign Stevie, he is gone. They not only resigned him, but extended Fred as well. It is possible some team overpays for Levitre, but I have no doubt Byrd will be resigned. Nix said the Bills won't sign FA's the first day or two, but they will be players in the FA market.

SABURZFAN
02-28-2013, 04:53 PM
Another reason to tradeback & pick up extra early round picks.

i'd rather see them get picks for next year. this draft is weak.

trapezeus
02-28-2013, 05:01 PM
you know what hte bills will do.

1. focus in on a strange need like Punter. Let the market move faster then them...find a couple dying vets who have a little gas in tank. sign to large contract to hvae that name player here.
2. tell us that the draft will fix the woes.
3. draft day, select Matt BArkley, trade back up, pick Manti Teo. find 2 high motor white guys. pick a running back. take a CB with punt returning capabilities.
4. "we really like who we got here. A lot of value. I like the way our team is shaping up.
5. someone holds out...even in the new CBA structure where it shouldn't happen.
6. Barkley looks great in camp. Just great.
7a. barkley gets hurt
7b. barkley is 4-12 for 68 yards and two picks in preseason. "its just hte preseason."
8. Game 1, torched. nothing goes right.
9. Game 4. 1-3. "if we just win this, we are in it." We lose
10. Game 8. 2-7. "all hope isn't lost. we need to win out, and the way the bye comes, we'll be sitting pretty." They don't.
11. Game 12. 5-7. "quite a run...now we just need to win this game to show the world of what we are made of." We don't.
12. debate on lose out vs win.
13. win a couple, lose a couple. pick 12.
14. it was so and so's fault. Russ stays. Nix passes the torch to whaley. we will be told whaley sat in an office for 6 years doing nothing. and now we can see his genius. and Russ will build the analytics department himself since no one can actually build a model. first marketer turned GM turned CEO turned quant guy to really succeed.

This season ends 7-9. "we improved!"

Get rid of russ, and then you change the culture.

YardRat
02-28-2013, 05:04 PM
I don't see them having enough money to fill all of the holes they are creating in FA...if you think we've had some scrub depth on the team in the past, just wait until you see this roster, especially if they sign both Byrd and Levitre.

better days
02-28-2013, 05:15 PM
I don't see them having enough money to fill all of the holes they are creating in FA...if you think we've had some scrub depth on the team in the past, just wait until you see this roster, especially if they sign both Byrd and Levitre.

You don't think $28 Million is enough money to replace Barnett? He is the only player cut so far that NEEDS to be replaced. They got little to no production out of everyone else cut.

YardRat
02-28-2013, 06:17 PM
You don't think $28 Million is enough money to replace Barnett? He is the only player cut so far that NEEDS to be replaced. They got little to no production out of everyone else cut.

Barnett isn't the only player we 'lost'. McGee, Kelsay, Wilson, Jones, possibly Nelson...not to mention the rest of the current UDFA's like McKelvin, Rhinehart, S.Johnson, Merriman, McIntyre, Choice, Scott, Martin, Moore...

Would some of the above had been replaced anyway, like McGee, and is it time for that? Absolutely. But, the more holes you create, the more you need to fill, and I'm pretty sure nobody around here would be too happy with a team completely devoid of any depth.

better days
02-28-2013, 06:51 PM
Barnett isn't the only player we 'lost'. McGee, Kelsay, Wilson, Jones, possibly Nelson...not to mention the rest of the current UDFA's like McKelvin, Rhinehart, S.Johnson, Merriman, McIntyre, Choice, Scott, Martin, Moore...

Would some of the above had been replaced anyway, like McGee, and is it time for that? Absolutely. But, the more holes you create, the more you need to fill, and I'm pretty sure nobody around here would be too happy with a team completely devoid of any depth.

Like I said the Bills got LITTLE to NO production last year out of the guys cut aside from Barnett, so to lose them does not really create a hole that needs to be filled. Of course the Bills have to resign some players or replace them with better players.

They are not alone with that. EVERY team will have players that need to be resigned or lose & unlike the Bills, a number of those teams do not have the cap money to do so.

trapezeus
03-01-2013, 07:47 AM
i'm with yardrat....the team had a little depth. last year was the first time in years that the injury bug didn't just wipe out the team. i bet next year we will be signing leon joe's to the squad if injuries hit at all.

this team will have to be indestructible for them to even have a shot next year.

Mr. Miyagi
03-01-2013, 09:45 AM

1. focus in on a strange need like Punter. Let the market move faster then them...find a couple dying vets who have a little gas in tank. sign to large contract to hvae that name player here.
2. tell us that the draft will fix the woes.
3. draft day, select Matt BArkley, trade back up, pick Manti Teo. find 2 high motor white guys. pick a running back. take a CB with punt returning capabilities.
4. "we really like who we got here. A lot of value. I like the way our team is shaping up.
5. someone holds out...even in the new CBA structure where it shouldn't happen.
6. Barkley looks great in camp. Just great.
7a. barkley gets hurt
7b. barkley is 4-12 for 68 yards and two picks in preseason. "its just hte preseason."
8. Game 1, torched. nothing goes right.
9. Game 4. 1-3. "if we just win this, we are in it." We lose
10. Game 8. 2-7. "all hope isn't lost. we need to win out, and the way the bye comes, we'll be sitting pretty." They don't.
11. Game 12. 5-7. "quite a run...now we just need to win this game to show the world of what we are made of." We don't.
12. debate on lose out vs win.
13. win a couple, lose a couple. pick 12.
14. it was so and so's fault. Russ stays. Nix passes the torch to whaley. we will be told whaley sat in an office for 6 years doing nothing. and now we can see his genius. and Russ will build the analytics department himself since no one can actually build a model. first marketer turned GM turned CEO turned quant guy to really succeed.

This season ends 7-9. "we improved!"

Get rid of russ, and then you change the culture.
:rofl: Hope not but totally is going to be the way it works out.

THRILLHO
03-01-2013, 09:58 AM
find 2 high motor white guys. pick a running back. take a CB with punt returning capabilities.

Ha! Every year it feels like. Especially the bold part.

k-oneputt
03-01-2013, 11:00 AM
How about not wasting any of their six draft picks on stupidity like drafting a kicker or the "gem" that only they have uncovered from S. Dakota St.

bosshogg21
03-01-2013, 03:33 PM
Please do pick geno smith.

X-Era
03-01-2013, 04:10 PM
I think they will sign more players than last year but none will be a top tier guy like Mario.

The best player I could see is a guy like Jon Vilma.

I think guys like EJ Henderson, LaRon Landry, DRC are more likely.

Outside possibility of Bowe but I think he wants too much money. I heard he wants top 5 WR pay. He's not worth that to me.

X-Era
03-01-2013, 04:12 PM
I'm pretty convinced they just let Levitre walk.

I agree they won't fill all the holes from FA. But I think they sign 2 or even 3 solid starters. I think it will be on defense. LB, S, and CB who may earn the #2 CB spot.

better days
03-01-2013, 04:21 PM
I think they will sign more players than last year but none will be a top tier guy like Mario.

The best player I could see is a guy like Jon Vilma.

I think guys like EJ Henderson, LaRon Landry, DRC are more likely.

Outside possibility of Bowe but I think he wants too much money. I heard he wants top 5 WR pay. He's not worth that to me.

I would love Landry. Jets fans are hoping they can keep him, but he is asking for $6 Million.

YardRat
03-01-2013, 05:05 PM
Like I said the Bills got LITTLE to NO production last year out of the guys cut aside from Barnett, so to lose them does not really create a hole that needs to be filled. Of course the Bills have to resign some players or replace them with better players.

They are not alone with that. EVERY team will have players that need to be resigned or lose & unlike the Bills, a number of those teams do not have the cap money to do so.

The only fault with the above is the assumption that the talent level will at worse maintain the status quo (re-sign current players) or improve (better players), and is disregarding the possibility (likelihood?) that the new players could be 'worse'. We're not going to be able to fill the holes we already had, both in the starting line-up and depth-wise, and additionally 'upgrade' over guys like Moore, McKelvin, Nelson, Wilson, Barnett, Rhinehart, Johnson, Jones, Merriman, McIntyre, Choice, Scott, etc...

better days
03-02-2013, 09:19 AM
The only fault with the above is the assumption that the talent level will at worse maintain the status quo (re-sign current players) or improve (better players), and is disregarding the possibility (likelihood?) that the new players could be 'worse'. We're not going to be able to fill the holes we already had, both in the starting line-up and depth-wise, and additionally 'upgrade' over guys like Moore, McKelvin, Nelson, Wilson, Barnett, Rhinehart, Johnson, Jones, Merriman, McIntyre, Choice, Scott, etc...

This is like the FALLACY that the Bills have no money to spend, when in fact the Bills have almost $30 Million to spend while some teams are still OVER the cap at this point in time. It will not be difficult to replace McGee who was always injured & NEVER on the field. He could be replaced by one of the scrubs on the team now & we will get more production than we got from him.

While other teams like the Ravens are going to lose GOOD players that helped them win games, the only player the Bills cut that provided any production at all was Barnett. The Bills cut dead weight, NOT good players they have to worry about replacing.

I heard on Sirius the other day, when teams have to get down under the cap, which will be soon, a lot of GOOD players are going to be cut. They said there will be twice as many free agents as there are today.

The Bills will have a big pool of players in free agency to choose from & the money to spend on them. It will be no problem replacing any of the dead weight the Bills cut & most likely with better players.