PDA

View Full Version : I think Levitre can still get tagged...

Yasgur's Farm
03-01-2013, 03:25 PM
Found this on wiki... See red below...
There are two types of franchise tag designations: the exclusive rights franchise tag, and non-exclusive rights franchise tag:

An "exclusive" franchise player must be offered a one-year contract for an amount no less than the average of the top five salaries at the player's position as of a date in April of the current year in which the tag will apply, or 120 percent of the player's previous year's salary, whichever is greater. Exclusive franchise players cannot negotiate with other teams. The player's team has all the negotiating rights to the exclusive player.
A "non-exclusive" franchise player must be offered a one-year contract for an amount no less than the average of the top five salaries at the player's position for the previous year, or 120 percent of the player's previous year's salary, whichever is less. A non-exclusive franchise player may negotiate with other NFL teams, but if he signs an offer sheet from another team, the original team has a right to match the terms of that offer, or if it does not match the offer and thus loses the player, is entitled to receive two first-round draft picks as compensation.
Under the Capped years a team can designate one additional player only as a transitional tag. A transition player must be offered a minimum of the average of the top 10 salaries of the prior season at the player's position or 120 percent of the player's prior year's salary, whichever is greater. A transition player designation gives the club a first-refusal right to match within seven days an offer sheet given to the player by another club after his contract expires. If the club matches, it retains the player. If it does not match, it receives no compensation.

IlluminatusUIUC
03-01-2013, 03:27 PM
Right, the transition tag is still in play, but it only gives us the right to match. No compensation if we leaves. I think it's a good deal though.

coastal
03-01-2013, 03:31 PM
Why not just pay the man?

you people realize we're drafting top 3 next year... Right?

IlluminatusUIUC
03-01-2013, 03:33 PM

I would love to pay the man. This, at bare minimum, allows the league to set the market for him. If someone else wants to go batwacky, they can. If they sign him to a reasonable deal, we can take him back.

cookie G
03-01-2013, 03:42 PM
Since they merged the guard's salaries in with tackle salaries, the transition tag will still most likely be over $8 million.

They aren't paying him that much.

Mr. Pink
03-01-2013, 03:57 PM
Since they merged the guard's salaries in with tackle salaries, the transition tag will still most likely be over $8 million.

They aren't paying him that much.

But someone else will.

X-Era
03-01-2013, 04:01 PM
It's possible but I really don't see it. The pay would likely be more than just re-signing him. He may get top 10 G money but the cap hit could be less in a longer deal for this year.

I think he may be gone unfortunately.

YardRat
03-01-2013, 04:10 PM
Nice to know the league has re-instituted the Will Wolford poison pill.

cookie G
03-01-2013, 04:14 PM
But someone else will.

maybe..I suspect he'll get a little over 7.

The time for him was really last year, right after Grubbs and Yanda got their contracts for a little over 6. They might have gotten him for a little less than that.

But they had other priorities.

Yasgur's Farm
03-01-2013, 06:10 PM
Transition him... We can afford the $8M this year.

Match any offer at or below $7M average.

Meanwhile... Offer him 6 year deal... $40M... $9M signing bonus and another $7M guaranteed.
2013 $3.5M salary ($1.5m amortized signing bonus) - $5M cap hit
2014 Same as 2013 (guarantee $'s met) - $5M cap hit
2015 $1M roster bonus + $4M salary - $6.5M cap hit
2016 $2M roster bonus + $4.5M salary - $8M cap hit
2017 $2M roster bonus + $5M salary - $8.5M cap hit
2018 $3M roster bonus + $2.5M salary - $7M cap hit

clumping platelets
03-01-2013, 06:55 PM
Teams can only use one tag per season

BertSquirtgum
03-01-2013, 07:51 PM

you people realize we're drafting top 3 next year... Right?

Go back to the rock you crawled out from under at the range....oh wait.....you can't.

clumping platelets
03-01-2013, 07:57 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/02/28/10-things-to-know-about-the-franchise-tag/

3. The transition tag has become meaningless.
Teams can use, in any given year, one franchise tag or one transition tag. The transition tag gives a team the right to match an offer sheet, but no compensation if the team chooses not to match.
At one point, the transition player’s contract was not fully guaranteed once it was accepted by the player. It now is.
The fact that the guaranteed pay on the one-year transition tender isn’t much less than the guaranteed pay for the one-year franchise tender, coupled with the lack of draft-pick compensation, has made the transition tag largely meaningless

Yasgur's Farm
03-02-2013, 07:48 AM
Teams can only use one tag per seasonThanks for clearing that up clump.

X-Era
03-02-2013, 07:52 AM
Transition him... We can afford the $8M this year.

Match any offer at or below $7M average.

Meanwhile... Offer him 6 year deal... $40M... $9M signing bonus and another $7M guaranteed.
2013 $3.5M salary ($1.5m amortized signing bonus) - $5M cap hit
2014 Same as 2013 (guarantee $'s met) - $5M cap hit
2015 $1M roster bonus + $4M salary - $6.5M cap hit
2016 $2M roster bonus + $4.5M salary - $8M cap hit
2017 $2M roster bonus + $5M salary - $8.5M cap hit
2018 $3M roster bonus + $2.5M salary - $7M cap hit
That's the sort of deal I would like to see.

But it's just a lot of money to spend on a G. I think the Bills want to spend it in other areas.

Yasgur's Farm
03-02-2013, 08:13 AM
It's funny... I remember when Joe Cribbs bolted for the USFL because he was looking to get paid... I believe $400K was the number being tossed around.

better days
03-02-2013, 08:24 AM
That's the sort of deal I would like to see.

But it's just a lot of money to spend on a G. I think the Bills want to spend it in other areas.

If you want a GOOD player at Guard their are three options.

The first is to PAY a player like Levitre that you drafted & know.

The second option is to draft a Guard every 4 years & let him go to free agency when his rookie contract is up.

The third option is to PAY a FA from another team. The Bills used option three when they signed Derrick Dockery to a HUGE contract. That did not work out too well.

IMO, aside from QB, the Lions share of money spent by a team should be spent on the Lines, both offense & defense.

clumping platelets
03-02-2013, 03:28 PM
But you do not pay a $6-7 million a year player $9-10 million a year

Raptor
03-02-2013, 04:21 PM
He's as good as gone