• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Skooby
    Skoobasaurus-Rex
    • Oct 2011

Flacco / Ravens agree a new contract

Last edited by Skooby; 03-01-2013, 05:19 PM.
  • JoeMama
    Emotion Sickness
    • Oct 2002

Re: Flacco / Ravens agree a new contract

A rock solid organization locking down its core talent?

What a preposterous business model!

~ Ralph Wilson
    Disclaimer: The sentiment expressed in this post is strictly for entertainment purposes only.

Comment

• Night Train
      Retired - On Several Levels
      • Jul 2005

Originally posted by JoeMama View Post
      A rock solid organization locking down its core talent?

What a preposterous business model!

~ Ralph Wilson
      Giving their QB 1/6 of their entire payroll. 52 other guys need to get paid.

I'm sure they'll sign everyone in the next 2 years and not let anyone walk. Not 1 quality player will leave.
      Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• JoeMama
        Emotion Sickness
        • Oct 2002

Originally posted by Night Train View Post
        Giving their QB 1/6 of their entire payroll. 52 other guys need to get paid.

I'm sure they'll sign everyone in the next 2 years and not let anyone walk. Not 1 quality player will leave.
        "Core" talent.

Winning QBs are expensive.

We wouldn't know what that's like because we haven't had one since the 90s.

No need to get passive aggressive about it.
        Disclaimer: The sentiment expressed in this post is strictly for entertainment purposes only.

Comment

• MitchMurrayDowntown
          Skoobasaurus-Rex
          • Oct 2011

"Core" talent.

Winning QBs are expensive.

We wouldn't know what that's like because we haven't had one since the 90s.

No need to get passive aggressive about it.
          Last year's MVP Superbowl winning QB.

Comment

• TacklingDummy
            Unreachable Douche
            • Jul 2002

6 years, $120 million.

Wow that's nuts.

Comment

• Night Train
              Retired - On Several Levels
              • Jul 2005

Quick, name the Ravens starting Guards and their salary.

Core talent ? A Guard ?

QB, DL, LB, LT, Top 5 WR, Top TE like Gronk.

That's core talent GM's should pay. Levitre benefits from the inflated LT salary applied to the OL cap. I love the guy but to make him the 2nd or 3rd highest paid player on this team is absured, with so many holes at QB, LB, CB, WR and more.
              Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• YardRat
                Well, lookie here...
                • Dec 2004

Core talent ? A Guard ?

That's core talent GM's should pay. Levitre benefits from the inflated LT salary applied to the OL cap. I love the guy but to make him the 2nd or 3rd highest paid player on this team is absured, with so many holes at QB, LB, CB, WR and more.
                Buffalo has three olinemen for 2013 that count against the cap for 2mil-plus...Wood, Urbik, and Pears. Ravens have two...Oher and Yanda.
                YardRat Wall of Fame
                #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• MitchMurrayDowntown
                  Skoobasaurus-Rex
                  • Oct 2011

Originally posted by TacklingDummy View Post
                  6 years, $120 million.

Wow that's nuts.
                  I was going to write that they can't pay him $20 M on most major sites & then stopped, just because of this. Dedicating 20% to him on a team full of all stars means many will leave. Unlike baseball, there's no fixing this now.

It's officially begun, the beginning of astro salaries. It hurt the NBA, it's coming.

Comment

• Don't Panic
                    All-Pro Zoner
                    • Dec 2005

Originally posted by TacklingDummy View Post
                    6 years, $120 million.

Wow that's nuts.
                    agreed. Talk about buying high... they could have franchised him at $15 million and made him prove he's worth $20 million a year. If he does, you pay him with confidence. If he doesn't, you make a del that reflects what he's actually worth, which is less than $20 million. Not Newsome's best move as GM.

Comment

• YardRat
                      Well, lookie here...
                      • Dec 2004

Originally posted by MitchMurrayDowntown View Post
                      I was going to write that they can't pay him $20 M on most major sites & then stopped, just because of this. Dedicating 20% to him on a team full of all stars means many will leave. Unlike baseball, there's no fixing this now.

It's officially begun, the beginning of astro salaries. It hurt the NBA, it's coming.
                      NFL has a much harder cap than the NBA. At least, they used to.
                      YardRat Wall of Fame
                      #56 DARRYL TALLEY

Comment

• JoeMama
                        Emotion Sickness
                        • Oct 2002

Core talent ? A Guard ?

If I were a GM instead of a random fan, my strategy would be to approximate a dollar amount that I'd willing to spend for various units as a whole. It would work like a mini-cap for certain groups of players.

For example, I'd ballpark a dollar amount I'd want to spend for three linebackers, four defensive linemen, five offensive linemen, etc etc. So it doesn't matter if your MLB makes more money than your OLB so long as you don't go severely beyond the mini-cap for that particular set of players.

Insofar as the o-line is concerned, I get that a G isn't valued as highly as a LT. But here's where we diverge. Given that we have fairly young (and I think mediocre) prospects like Glenn and Hairston with modest rookie salaries affixed to the tackle positions indefinitely, there's plenty of free cash in the "o-line pool" to re-sign a guy like Levitre. So yes, I would absolutely make a play for him.

If Levitre's contract becomes cost prohibitive down the road, then structure it like virtually any veteran contract ever, and spread it out so that in 2 or 3 years you have the flexibility to release him without an incapacitating cap hit. Ironically 2 or 3 years is probably when we'll be due to pay big money for our tackles should we have the good fortune to see them develop into stars. Or draft a new stud in between.

Panicking about an imaginary contract 3 years from now avails this team nothing. I think we have a catastrophically flawed plan for building a winner and that should go without saying since, you know, we haven't been relevant since the 1990s.
                        Last edited by JoeMama; 03-01-2013, 10:11 PM.

Comment

• YardRat
                          Well, lookie here...
                          • Dec 2004

If I were a GM instead of a random fan, my strategy would be to approximate a dollar amount that I'd willing to spend for various units as a whole. It would work like a mini-cap for certain groups of players.

For example, I'd ballpark a dollar amount I'd want to spend for three linebackers, four defensive linemen, five offensive linemen, etc etc. So it doesn't matter if your MLB makes more money than your OLB so long as you don't go severely beyond the mini-cap for that particular set of players.
                          I'd be interested in seeing an actual numeric break-down of that strategy, relative to our team and the current cap.
                          YardRat Wall of Fame
                          #56 DARRYL TALLEY

Comment

• TacklingDummy
                            Unreachable Douche
                            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Don't Panic View Post
                            agreed. Talk about buying high... they could have franchised him at $15 million and made him prove he's worth $20 million a year. If he does, you pay him with confidence. If he doesn't, you make a del that reflects what he's actually worth, which is less than $20 million. Not Newsome's best move as GM.
                            Agreed.

He's never thrown for more than 25 TDs.

Denver blowing that playoff game made Flacco extremely rich.

Comment

• OLDSRIP
                              • Dec 2008

Insofar as the o-line is concerned, I get that a G isn't valued as highly as a LT. But here's where we diverge. Given that we have fairly young (and I think mediocre) prospects like Glenn and Hairston with modest rookie salaries affixed to the tackle positions indefinitely, there's plenty of free cash in the "o-line pool" to re-sign a guy like Levitre. So yes, I would absolutely make a play for him.

If Levitre's contract becomes cost prohibitive down the road, then structure it like virtually any veteran contract ever, and spread it out so that in 2 or 3 years you have the flexibility to release him without an incapacitating cap hit. Ironically 2 or 3 years is probably when we'll be due to pay big money for our tackles should we have the good fortune to see them develop into stars. Or draft a new stud in between.

Panicking about an imaginary contract 3 years from now avails this team nothing. I think we have a catastrophically flawed plan for building a winner and that should go without saying since, you know, we haven't been relevant since the 1990s.
                              You have obviously put some thought into this. It sounds like good theory. Have you compared any numbers to real teams payrolls? Nice job.

Comment

Working...
                              X