Seriously, what is everyone's obsession with WR Patterson?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jpdex12
    • Jan 2005

Seriously, what is everyone's obsession with WR Patterson?

He's 88th overall in ranking according to total yards with 46 catches, 778 yards and 5 TDs. I get that he's a big bodied WR but there are plenty of other 6 ft plus WRs with two to three years of impressive stats compared to Patterson's one year of a mediocre season as a JUCO transfer...
    Where else would you rather be than right here right now?
  • Mouldsie
    • Aug 2012

Re: Seriously, what is everyone's obsession with WR Patterson?

Amazing physical ability and RAC skills, but that died down when scouts learned he's not the brightest at the combine

Comment

• The Jokeman
      • Dec 2003

Originally posted by jpdex12 View Post
      He's 88th overall in ranking according to total yards with 46 catches, 778 yards and 5 TDs. I get that he's a big bodied WR but there are plenty of other 6 ft plus WRs with two to three years of impressive stats compared to Patterson's one year of a mediocre season as a JUCO transfer...
      Just an one eigth of an inch under 6-2, 215# 4.42 forty combined with 10 TDs in 12 games, The guy is an elite playmaker at his position. At the very least he can easily replace McKelvin in 2013 and fill in the depth at WR. Let's not forget that Eric Moulds spent his rookie season primarly as a kick returner and deveoped in a bonafid stud in his 3rd year in the league. Patterson's as tall as Moulds but even faster and more elusive in the open field. Also for it's worth Moulds' final year in college saw him rack up 62 catches for 779 yards and 6 TDs and the numbers you were quoting was Patterson's only year in the NCAA and like Moulds played in the SEC. I'm curious were you quoting total receiving yards? As if you combine his rushing, receiving and return yardage am sure he might rank higher. As he had more three more combined yards from scrimmage than his teammate Justin Harper even so let's not not forget that Patterson was also targeted far less than a normal number 1. Had he been targeted at the same rate, he would have gained 549 more yards, for a season total of 1327 yards. There were certainly be no questions about his production with those numbers courtesy of http://secondroundstats.com/2013/02/04/tier1-wrs/

Also he was an amazing Juco player but I know that doesn't mean anything. I hate to tell you but it does as he dominated at that level and think had him not had to compete with Justin Harper last year as the top dog in Tennessee he would have been even better.
      Last edited by The Jokeman; 03-04-2013, 09:38 PM.

Comment

• jpdex12
        • Jan 2005

I pulled those stats from ESPN NCAAF -Stats under the WR category...

He seems like a good player but I would feel more comfortable seeing more production out of him if he were to be our #8 pick instead of taking a gamble on a player with one semi-solid year at Tennessee. I wouldn't mind us taking a WR in round one but someone like Hopkins or Keenan Allen.
        Where else would you rather be than right here right now?

Comment

• The Jokeman
          • Dec 2003

Originally posted by jpdex12 View Post
          I pulled those stats from ESPN NCAAF -Stats under the WR category...

He seems like a good player but I would feel more comfortable seeing more production out of him if he were to be our #8 pick instead of taking a gamble on a player with one semi-solid year at Tennessee. I wouldn't mind us taking a WR in round one but someone like Hopkins or Keenan Allen.
          You can't just look at stats but you also have to look at what guys could do on the next level and/or what roles they could fill. As most WR are going to take three years to develop and why wouldn't be so worried pegging Patterson as a depth guy in 2013 so we can refine his skills and make him a starter in 2014 or a dynamic #1 in 2015. Allen might be the only WR in this class I'd take over Patterson. Yet he's coming off an injury and that's a bit worrisome. Also it be ironic if he ends up in Buffalo being his brother left Buffalo (the University of that is) so the two could end reunited at Cal. Hopkins to me grades out as a late 1st Rounder and maybe even a 2nd Rounder.

Comment

• more cowbell
            • Apr 2006

i'm wondering the same thing....
            The last time the Bills made the playoffs was 1999.

Comment

• Night Train
              Retired - On Several Levels
              • Jul 2005

WR's usually take a long time before making any impact. Free Agency may be the better route for this position.
              Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• elltrain22
                • Sep 2003

I'm just wondering why, if want to go WR (which I don't see happening at all), why we aren't clammoring for Tevon Austin. That kid can flat out play! If we do go WR, thats the guy I want.
                If you walk with Jesus today, you don't have anything to worry about tomorrow...

Comment

• X-Era
                  What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
                  • Feb 2005

Size, speed, strength, elusiveness. He's got a fantastic knack for making players miss with the ball in his hands. This is the sort of player Nix covets at WR.

He's faster than Julio Jones with a very similar game. He's more rugged than Justin Hunter but Hunter is an even better athlete.

Follow your favorite college teams and pro prospects. Join our crew of draft gurus and follow the NFL Draft here!
                  Last edited by X-Era; 03-05-2013, 05:36 AM.

Comment

• YardRat
                    Well, lookie here...
                    • Dec 2004

Not a big fan, don't like how he catches the ball, and the vast majority of the hype is YAC, which isn't going to happen if he doesn't make the catch first. Just because of his raw talent I might be willing to take a flyer on him if he drops into the second, but no way in hell am I calling his name at 8. Maybe even too risky for the second round if he's not much brighter than a box of rocks.
                    YardRat Wall of Fame
                    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• DraftBoy
                      Administrator
                      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by elltrain22 View Post
                      I'm just wondering why, if want to go WR (which I don't see happening at all), why we aren't clammoring for Tevon Austin. That kid can flat out play! If we do go WR, thats the guy I want.
                      Tavon Austin is a similar player to what you have in TJ Graham. That's not to say Graham is as athletic or quick but they play almost identical roles in this offense. Austin's ability to carry the football may add some to a lot of other teams but not ours when we already have CJ Spiller.
                      COMING SOON...
                      Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
                      We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• DraftBoy
                        Administrator
                        • Jul 2002

I like Patterson I think he's got a high ceiling and some developing left to do. Could he be the pick at 8? Yes he certainly could be but I don't think he's the favorite. Also everybody wants to discount JUCO production like it never happened. Let's not forget his caught 61 passes for 924 yards and 15 TD's, while carrying the ball 32 times for 379 yards and 6 TD's.
                        COMING SOON...
                        Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
                        We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• coastal
                          Legendary Zoner
                          • Mar 2005

He's going to be awesome.

and the Bills are going to the Bowl.

and I love Sega!

Comment

• Mahdi
                            • Mar 2004

Patterson is basically Devon Hester once he catches the ball. One of the most elusive WRs I've ever seen once he has the ball in his hands. That being said I don't think he will have a very steep learning curve in the NFL. It will take him time to be a good route runner and be anything more than a gadget player.

You could be looking at another Josh Cribbs for his first 2-3 years.

The other factor you have to consider is the type of offense Marrone and Hackett run which has a lot of west coast principles. For that kind of offense route running must be your strength and intelligence too. I think they let Nelson and Jones go because they aren't exactly guys who are quick out of their breaks.

Tavon Austin would be a much better fit as would Keenan Allen.

Comment

• justasportsfan
                              • Jul 2002

Anyone drafting Patterson is basically gambling on his potential more than anything else.
                              sacrifice1
                              https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

Working...
                              X