PDA

View Full Version : Seriously, what is everyone's obsession with WR Patterson?

jpdex12
03-04-2013, 09:07 PM
He's 88th overall in ranking according to total yards with 46 catches, 778 yards and 5 TDs. I get that he's a big bodied WR but there are plenty of other 6 ft plus WRs with two to three years of impressive stats compared to Patterson's one year of a mediocre season as a JUCO transfer...

Mouldsie
03-04-2013, 09:15 PM
Amazing physical ability and RAC skills, but that died down when scouts learned he's not the brightest at the combine

The Jokeman
03-04-2013, 09:30 PM
He's 88th overall in ranking according to total yards with 46 catches, 778 yards and 5 TDs. I get that he's a big bodied WR but there are plenty of other 6 ft plus WRs with two to three years of impressive stats compared to Patterson's one year of a mediocre season as a JUCO transfer...

Just an one eigth of an inch under 6-2, 215# 4.42 forty combined with 10 TDs in 12 games, The guy is an elite playmaker at his position. At the very least he can easily replace McKelvin in 2013 and fill in the depth at WR. Let's not forget that Eric Moulds spent his rookie season primarly as a kick returner and deveoped in a bonafid stud in his 3rd year in the league. Patterson's as tall as Moulds but even faster and more elusive in the open field. Also for it's worth Moulds' final year in college saw him rack up 62 catches for 779 yards and 6 TDs and the numbers you were quoting was Patterson's only year in the NCAA and like Moulds played in the SEC. I'm curious were you quoting total receiving yards? As if you combine his rushing, receiving and return yardage am sure he might rank higher. As he had more three more combined yards from scrimmage than his teammate Justin Harper even so let's not not forget that Patterson was also targeted far less than a normal number 1. Had he been targeted at the same rate, he would have gained 549 more yards, for a season total of 1327 yards. There were certainly be no questions about his production with those numbers courtesy of http://secondroundstats.com/2013/02/04/tier1-wrs/

Also he was an amazing Juco player but I know that doesn't mean anything. I hate to tell you but it does as he dominated at that level and think had him not had to compete with Justin Harper last year as the top dog in Tennessee he would have been even better.

jpdex12
03-04-2013, 10:43 PM
I pulled those stats from ESPN NCAAF -Stats under the WR category...

He seems like a good player but I would feel more comfortable seeing more production out of him if he were to be our #8 pick instead of taking a gamble on a player with one semi-solid year at Tennessee. I wouldn't mind us taking a WR in round one but someone like Hopkins or Keenan Allen.

The Jokeman
03-04-2013, 10:50 PM
I pulled those stats from ESPN NCAAF -Stats under the WR category...

He seems like a good player but I would feel more comfortable seeing more production out of him if he were to be our #8 pick instead of taking a gamble on a player with one semi-solid year at Tennessee. I wouldn't mind us taking a WR in round one but someone like Hopkins or Keenan Allen.

You can't just look at stats but you also have to look at what guys could do on the next level and/or what roles they could fill. As most WR are going to take three years to develop and why wouldn't be so worried pegging Patterson as a depth guy in 2013 so we can refine his skills and make him a starter in 2014 or a dynamic #1 in 2015. Allen might be the only WR in this class I'd take over Patterson. Yet he's coming off an injury and that's a bit worrisome. Also it be ironic if he ends up in Buffalo being his brother left Buffalo (the University of that is) so the two could end reunited at Cal. Hopkins to me grades out as a late 1st Rounder and maybe even a 2nd Rounder.

more cowbell
03-05-2013, 12:37 AM
i'm wondering the same thing....

Night Train
03-05-2013, 05:01 AM
WR's usually take a long time before making any impact. Free Agency may be the better route for this position.

elltrain22
03-05-2013, 05:21 AM
I'm just wondering why, if want to go WR (which I don't see happening at all), why we aren't clammoring for Tevon Austin. That kid can flat out play! If we do go WR, thats the guy I want.

X-Era
03-05-2013, 05:30 AM
Size, speed, strength, elusiveness. He's got a fantastic knack for making players miss with the ball in his hands. This is the sort of player Nix covets at WR.

He's faster than Julio Jones with a very similar game. He's more rugged than Justin Hunter but Hunter is an even better athlete.

http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php/216671-Cordarrelle-Patterson-WR-Tenn

YardRat
03-05-2013, 05:31 AM
Not a big fan, don't like how he catches the ball, and the vast majority of the hype is YAC, which isn't going to happen if he doesn't make the catch first. Just because of his raw talent I might be willing to take a flyer on him if he drops into the second, but no way in hell am I calling his name at 8. Maybe even too risky for the second round if he's not much brighter than a box of rocks.

DraftBoy
03-05-2013, 05:44 AM
I'm just wondering why, if want to go WR (which I don't see happening at all), why we aren't clammoring for Tevon Austin. That kid can flat out play! If we do go WR, thats the guy I want.

Tavon Austin is a similar player to what you have in TJ Graham. That's not to say Graham is as athletic or quick but they play almost identical roles in this offense. Austin's ability to carry the football may add some to a lot of other teams but not ours when we already have CJ Spiller.

DraftBoy
03-05-2013, 05:46 AM
I like Patterson I think he's got a high ceiling and some developing left to do. Could he be the pick at 8? Yes he certainly could be but I don't think he's the favorite. Also everybody wants to discount JUCO production like it never happened. Let's not forget his caught 61 passes for 924 yards and 15 TD's, while carrying the ball 32 times for 379 yards and 6 TD's.

coastal
03-05-2013, 05:58 AM
He's going to be awesome.

and the Bills are going to the Bowl.

and I love Sega!

Mahdi
03-05-2013, 06:29 AM
Patterson is basically Devon Hester once he catches the ball. One of the most elusive WRs I've ever seen once he has the ball in his hands. That being said I don't think he will have a very steep learning curve in the NFL. It will take him time to be a good route runner and be anything more than a gadget player.

You could be looking at another Josh Cribbs for his first 2-3 years.

The other factor you have to consider is the type of offense Marrone and Hackett run which has a lot of west coast principles. For that kind of offense route running must be your strength and intelligence too. I think they let Nelson and Jones go because they aren't exactly guys who are quick out of their breaks.

Tavon Austin would be a much better fit as would Keenan Allen.

justasportsfan
03-05-2013, 06:55 AM
Anyone drafting Patterson is basically gambling on his potential more than anything else.

DraftBoy
03-05-2013, 07:55 AM
Anyone drafting Patterson is basically gambling on his potential more than anything else.

Not necessarily true, if it wasn't for Matthews at Vandy he could be considered the most dynamic WR in the SEC this past season. He's shown he has the skill to play ball.

justasportsfan
03-05-2013, 10:01 AM
Not necessarily true, if it wasn't for Matthews at Vandy he could be considered the most dynamic WR in the SEC this past season. He's shown he has the skill to play ball.

In terms of body of work, he's a one year wonder. With that said, I would gamble on him.

Mahdi
03-05-2013, 10:18 AM
In terms of body of work, he's a one year wonder. With that said, I would gamble on him.

We can't afford gambles, we need polished players with 2-3 years of college production.

Tavon Austin in comparison has 273 rec plus 28TDs over his last 3 seasons. That is a guy that can change your offense from day 1. Amazing route runner, uncoverable in space, good hands. This kid is like adding a younger, faster Wes Welker to your offense. Changes everything and changes how defenses defend you.

That being said, the Bills seem intent on moving Stevie to the slot which is where Austin would play. These two on the field together though would be mismatch nightmares.

Keenan Allen would also be a better fit for us. 3 solid years of college production, big, great route runner, solid hands, 209 receptions over last 3 years plus 17 TDs.

Another guy and one of my favorite WRs in the draft is DeAndre Hopkins. 205 rec plus 27TDs over last 3 years. Solid production in all 3 means this kid is polished plus he is a great redzone threat.

DraftBoy
03-05-2013, 10:50 AM

No he's not.

mjt328
03-05-2013, 11:10 AM
Patterson is one of the riskier players in the draft. He's all upside and potential, with very little production behind him to back up a Top 10 selection.
You can't tell from YouTube highlights that he completely disappeared for over a month last season. All you see on highlights is what he does AFTER catching the ball. What you don't see, is that he is very raw in his route running and doesn't get enough separation to consistently get open.

A lot of us said the same thing about Stephen Hill last year. Sure, he had incredible size, speed and athletic ability. But where was the guy's production in college? There was nothing there but upside and potential. Nothing that showed he could do anything more than run a fly route.

A typical Bills draft would have us draft an iffy-prospect like Patterson at #8, then snatch up one of the second-level quarterback prospects like Ryan Nassib or Zac Dysert in the next round.
Personally, I would rather draft Geno Smith or Matt Barkely at #8, then hope for somone like Tavon Austin, Keenan Allen, Justin Hunter or DeAndre Hopkins in the second.

Mahdi
03-05-2013, 11:27 AM
Patterson is one of the riskier players in the draft. He's all upside and potential, with very little production behind him to back up a Top 10 selection.
You can't tell from YouTube highlights that he completely disappeared for over a month last season. All you see on highlights is what he does AFTER catching the ball. What you don't see, is that he is very raw in his route running and doesn't get enough separation to consistently get open.

A lot of us said the same thing about Stephen Hill last year. Sure, he had incredible size, speed and athletic ability. But where was the guy's production in college? There was nothing there but upside and potential. Nothing that showed he could do anything more than run a fly route.

A typical Bills draft would have us draft an iffy-prospect like Patterson at #8, then snatch up one of the second-level quarterback prospects like Ryan Nassib or Zac Dysert in the next round.
Personally, I would rather draft Geno Smith or Matt Barkely at #8, then hope for somone like Tavon Austin, Keenan Allen, Justin Hunter or DeAndre Hopkins in the second.

If we got Geno Smith and Tavon Austin/Hopkins/Allen we would be draft thieves.

mjt328
03-05-2013, 11:37 AM
If we got Geno Smith and Tavon Austin/Hopkins/Allen we would be draft thieves.

The numbers suggest that something like that might be possible.

More and more mock drafts are showing Smith falling to us at #8.
And free agency (Jennings, Wallace, Welker, Amendola) could drive the need for wide receivers down enough to push some quality prospects into the second round.

justasportsfan
03-05-2013, 11:57 AM
No he's not.
the fact that you yourself state he's got developing to do is probably because he didn't play at a higher college level for a long time.

DraftBoy
03-05-2013, 12:23 PM
the fact that you yourself state he's got developing to do is probably because he didn't play at a higher college level for a long time.

Not entirely.

Very few, if any, prospects don't have any developing left to do coming out of college. Calling him a one year wonder is twisting what I said to fit an argument.

IlluminatusUIUC
03-05-2013, 12:32 PM
Patterson is basically Devon Hester once he catches the ball. One of the most elusive WRs I've ever seen once he has the ball in his hands. That being said I don't think he will have a very steep learning curve in the NFL. It will take him time to be a good route runner and be anything more than a gadget player.

You could be looking at another Josh Cribbs for his first 2-3 years.

Devin Hester and Josh Cribbs as comparisons? That doesn't sound so good.

Mahdi
03-05-2013, 12:42 PM
The numbers suggest that something like that might be possible.

More and more mock drafts are showing Smith falling to us at #8.
And free agency (Jennings, Wallace, Welker, Amendola) could drive the need for wide receivers down enough to push some quality prospects into the second round.

Hope so.

Mahdi
03-05-2013, 12:45 PM
Devin Hester and Josh Cribbs as comparisons? That doesn't sound so good.

Well in terms of his RAC ability Devon Hester is as good as it gets. But he has way more potential than either Cribbs or Hester as a WR. That being said he is boom or bust.

If put in the Packers offense I think he would bust. If you put him with Chip Kelly or Shanahan or Russel Wilson or Kaepernick he can be dangerous.

IlluminatusUIUC
03-05-2013, 12:57 PM
Well in terms of his RAC ability Devon Hester is as good as it gets. But he has way more potential than either Cribbs or Hester as a WR. That being said he is boom or bust.

If put in the Packers offense I think he would bust. If you put him with Chip Kelly or Shanahan or Russel Wilson or Kaepernick he can be dangerous.

I think he clearly has better potential that Cribbs or Hester, because both of those guys suck out loud as wideouts. Just because they can run back kicks (and Cribbs can't really even do that any more) doesn't mean they can accomplish the same things on a pass play.

Mahdi
03-05-2013, 01:05 PM
I think he clearly has better potential that Cribbs or Hester, because both of those guys suck out loud as wideouts. Just because they can run back kicks (and Cribbs can't really even do that any more) doesn't mean they can accomplish the same things on a pass play.

Yes that is the point I'm making. He is definitely more prepared to play WR coming out of college than they were but he can have some of the same struggles. Hester has not been in an offense that suits him and neither has Cribbs.

I'm saying get Patterson in an offense that has a scrambling QB or a gadget offense that will just get him the ball in a variety of ways.

IlluminatusUIUC
03-05-2013, 01:22 PM
Yes that is the point I'm making. He is definitely more prepared to play WR coming out of college than they were but he can have some of the same struggles. Hester has not been in an offense that suits him and neither has Cribbs.

I'm saying get Patterson in an offense that has a scrambling QB or a gadget offense that will just get him the ball in a variety of ways.

What offense could suit Hester more than one where he's asked to run deep routes and catch passes from one of the strongest QBs in the league, while Marshall draws coverage? The fact is, he just sucks at offense. He's had multiple coaching staffs in pro and college try to teach him a position, any position, and he just can't pick them up. He is what he is - a dominant returnman - and not much more.

mjt328
03-05-2013, 01:36 PM
What offense could suit Hester more than one where he's asked to run deep routes and catch passes from one of the strongest QBs in the league, while Marshall draws coverage? The fact is, he just sucks at offense. He's had multiple coaching staffs in pro and college try to teach him a position, any position, and he just can't pick them up. He is what he is - a dominant returnman - and not much more.

Exactly. Playing wide receiver is a lot tougher than being fast and good at catching a football.

The toughest part about the transition to the big leagues (and the reason it takes so long for most NFL receivers to catch on, if they ever do) is learning how to get open.
Decent NFL cornerbacks will not just let a guy outrun them down the sideline. There is a skill that receivers must develop that helps them get separation. Many great college receivers never develop this trait.

I think the comparison to Joe Cribbs and Devin Hester is probably a fair one. Patterson has shown inconsistency at getting open at the college level. Does that mean he's a lost cause? No, not at all.
But I don't think a guy with so little college production is worth a Top 10 pick.

justasportsfan
03-05-2013, 02:16 PM
Not entirely.

Very few, if any, prospects don't have any developing left to do coming out of college. Calling him a one year wonder is twisting what I said to fit an argument.when I said he was a one year wonder, I meant at a higher college level.

DraftBoy
03-05-2013, 03:41 PM
when I said he was a one year wonder, I meant at a higher college level.

But how is that a fair statement? Having been a JUCO level player he only had one year to prove himself at the level and did so. It's a bit of an unfair label.

mjt328
03-05-2013, 04:20 PM
But how is that a fair statement? Having been a JUCO level player he only had one year to prove himself at the level and did so. It's a bit of an unfair label.

Calling Patterson a "one year wonder" is a misleading statement.
That's because I wouldn't call his 2012 season that wonderful. You have to factor in his running stats to even make his season stand out.

46 receptions in 12 games? That's less than 4 catches per...
778 yards per game receiving and 308 yards rushing (1086 yards total)...
5 touchdowns receiving and 3 rushing (8 total)...

Everybody knows that Patterson can be special with the ball in his hand. But the ball has to get there first. Has Patteson proven to be exceptional at running routes and getting open? At making tough catches in tight coverage?

I don't like to hate on the guy, because there is a chance he could end up being really good. He's got a lot of upside. But I hate the idea of this pick at #8. Too much uncertainty. I hate it even worse if we pass up Geno Smith or Matt Barkley.

The Jokeman
03-05-2013, 08:55 PM
Exactly. Playing wide receiver is a lot tougher than being fast and good at catching a football.

The toughest part about the transition to the big leagues (and the reason it takes so long for most NFL receivers to catch on, if they ever do) is learning how to get open.
Decent NFL cornerbacks will not just let a guy outrun them down the sideline. There is a skill that receivers must develop that helps them get separation. Many great college receivers never develop this trait.

I think the comparison to Joe Cribbs and Devin Hester is probably a fair one. Patterson has shown inconsistency at getting open at the college level. Does that mean he's a lost cause? No, not at all.
But I don't think a guy with so little college production is worth a Top 10 pick.

Problem being Hester was a DB coming out of college and Cribbs a QB. I've said it many a time but Patterson is Percy Harvin plus 3 inches and minus the headaches (figuratively and literally).

The Jokeman
03-05-2013, 09:11 PM
Calling Patterson a "one year wonder" is a misleading statement.
That's because I wouldn't call his 2012 season that wonderful. You have to factor in his running stats to even make his season stand out.

46 receptions in 12 games? That's less than 4 catches per...
778 yards per game receiving and 308 yards rushing (1086 yards total)...
5 touchdowns receiving and 3 rushing (8 total)...

Everybody knows that Patterson can be special with the ball in his hand. But the ball has to get there first. Has Patteson proven to be exceptional at running routes and getting open? At making tough catches in tight coverage?

I don't like to hate on the guy, because there is a chance he could end up being really good. He's got a lot of upside. But I hate the idea of this pick at #8. Too much uncertainty. I hate it even worse if we pass up Geno Smith or Matt Barkley.

Show me another WR last year that caught 700 yards worth of passes, rushed for 300 yards and 772 yards returning the foobtall? Oh odds are you can't because it shows what a unique talent he was. The Vols found ways to get the football in his hands and it paid off. Again at least now your looking at his rushing numbers but also look at his return numbers. Look at some of the guys Tennessee records he matched or tied with. Willie Gault, Carl Pickens, Reggie Cobb. http://www.utsports.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/cordarrelle_patterson_809008.html The 1st two were pretty good WRs in the NFL and the last was a RB who did produce one 1,000 yard season in the NFL. I get wanting Smith over him not so much Barkley.

justasportsfan
03-06-2013, 06:41 AM

never said it was fair but it is what it is. Does that mean he'll be another Aaron Maybin? No. Like I said, I'd take a risk on his one year of high level production.

DraftBoy
03-06-2013, 06:43 AM
never said it was fair but it is what it is. Does that mean he'll be another Aaron Maybin? No. Like I said, I'd take a risk on his one year of high level production.

But its not. At this point its a semantics argument but I think calling him a one year wonder is unfair based on the connotation alone.

justasportsfan
03-06-2013, 06:57 AM
But its not. At this point its a semantics argument but I think calling him a one year wonder is unfair based on the connotation alone.

okay let me rephrase to make you happy. He only played one year at a major college level which has people wondering .

better days
03-06-2013, 07:05 AM

The fact he proved himself in that one year does not lessen the fact he only played one year of high level college ball. In spite of your argument about JUCO, it is NOT NCAA division I football, there is NO comparison.

Bill Cody
03-06-2013, 08:53 AM
Why was a kid that has his kind of physical talent a juco in the 1st place? I smell dumb. What I don't smell is a top 10 pick.

IlluminatusUIUC
03-06-2013, 12:23 PM
Why was a kid that has his kind of physical talent a juco in the 1st place? I smell dumb. What I don't smell is a top 10 pick.

Because he was raw coming out of high school? I mean, Aaron Rodgers had to do that.

Mouldsie
03-06-2013, 02:26 PM
Tavon Austin is a similar player to what you have in TJ Graham. That's not to say Graham is as athletic or quick but they play almost identical roles in this offense. Austin's ability to carry the football may add some to a lot of other teams but not ours when we already have CJ Spiller.
Tavon Austin is 10x better than Graham. If he's there in round 2 you find a role for him

better days
03-06-2013, 02:39 PM

Bingo. I just read he had to attend a private academy after HS before he could even get into JUCO. Reports from the combine are he is dumb as a box of rocks.

X-Era
03-06-2013, 02:53 PM
Bingo. I just read he had to attend a private academy after HS before he could even get into JUCO. Reports from the combine are he is dumb as a box of rocks.So don't have him do your taxes...

I just need him to run and catch a football.

better days
03-06-2013, 02:58 PM
So don't have him do your taxes...

They were saying he is so stupid the team that drafts him will have to keep things SIMPLE for him. He probably will have a hard time learning which route to run. I would pass on this guy until the later rnds & his stock may be falling.

Bill Cody
03-06-2013, 03:13 PM
So don't have him do your taxes...

Sorry I'm not buying this....at all. You have to be able to learn an NFL playbook. It's not brain surgery but it's certainly not that simple. Not everyone can do it. Jason Peters couldn't but he had the size to be moved to tackle. You can't coach a lack of gray matter. This isn't sandlot where you can say to the star athlete "go deep on 2. Break"

Bill Cody
03-06-2013, 03:18 PM
Because he was raw coming out of high school? I mean, Aaron Rodgers had to do that.

But after 1 year at the Div 1 level he's no longer "raw"? Lol. If this guy was hamburger he's still be in the plastic. You wait and see where this guy ends up getting picked. Doubt it's top 15.

YardRat
03-06-2013, 06:13 PM
Why do I get the feeling that the same people that are blasting this guy's lack of major college experience were probably also all over Cam Newton's nuts a couple of seasons ago?

Mouldsie
03-06-2013, 06:16 PM
It's your "feeling" so you tell us

IlluminatusUIUC
03-06-2013, 06:47 PM
But after 1 year at the Div 1 level he's no longer "raw"? Lol. If this guy was hamburger he's still be in the plastic. You wait and see where this guy ends up getting picked. Doubt it's top 15.

I never denied he was raw, but your post suggested that he was JuCo because he was too stupid either for D1 football or University coursework. That's not always the case, and I used Aaron Rodgers as an example. Sometimes they just need an intermediate step before going to the bigs of college ball.

IlluminatusUIUC
03-06-2013, 06:51 PM
Why do I get the feeling that the same people that are blasting this guy's lack of major college experience were probably also all over Cam Newton's nuts a couple of seasons ago?

Even if your strawman had said this, wouldn't you agree there was a slight difference in what the two accomplished in one season of college ball? Cam won the Heisman, a National Title, and led one of the great comebacks in college history.

YardRat
03-06-2013, 07:01 PM
Even if your strawman had said this, wouldn't you agree there was a slight difference in what the two accomplished in one season of college ball? Cam won the Heisman, a National Title, and led one of the great comebacks in college history.

QB's get all the press.

X-Era
03-06-2013, 07:28 PM
They were saying he is so stupid the team that drafts him will have to keep things SIMPLE for him. He probably will have a hard time learning which route to run. I would pass on this guy until the later rnds & his stock may be falling.
So Internet rumors of a lack of intelligence are the data point we're using to measure a prospects ability to learn a play book and play football?

Dumb is now black and white? A prospect is either smart or unable to play football?

X-Era
03-06-2013, 07:33 PM
This also happens every year... We use the combine and rumors to try to make a case against someone.

I do it too. But I think the biggest test should be what the player does on the field.

Or just say we don't like the player. I was never a fan of Sheppard but he was draftable. It happens.

DraftBoy
03-06-2013, 07:58 PM
Tavon Austin is 10x better than Graham. If he's there in round 2 you find a role for him

If he's 10x better than Graham then why would he be there in Round 2?

DraftBoy
03-06-2013, 07:59 PM
Sorry I'm not buying this....at all. You have to be able to learn an NFL playbook. It's not brain surgery but it's certainly not that simple. Not everyone can do it. Jason Peters couldn't but he had the size to be moved to tackle. You can't coach a lack of gray matter. This isn't sandlot where you can say to the star athlete "go deep on 2. Break"

He went from a rather simple JUCO playbook to a complex one under Dooley. Didn't show any struggles in that. What makes you think he would suddenly start now?

Applying the dumb label simply because a kid went the JUCO routes is awfully short sighted.

IlluminatusUIUC
03-06-2013, 08:31 PM
QB's get all the press.

Not sure what you're saying here.

madness
03-06-2013, 09:31 PM
In case anybody hasn't figured it out yet, it's officially lying season in the NFL.

“He fell out of the Stupid tree and hit every branch on the way down”
AJ Green had similar concerns before the draft and scored a 10 on his wonderlic. (Yes in terms of talent, he is no AJ Green but that is not the point)

Speaking of trees...
"He ran a full route tree in Tennessee's pro-style offense, executing the curl, hitch, skinny post, slant, back-shoulder fade, and deep-in as an X receiver, and the out-and-up and shallow cross from the slot."

Excellent body control, deals well with the press, is quick in and out of his breaks and has no trouble tracking the deep ball. Obviously needs to be sharper on his routes and sometimes catches the ball too close to his body but what college receiver doesn't have to work on those two things? It is like saying a college QB needs to be more accurate.

He is a natural "when I say 'play' you say 'maker'" and consistantly makes defenders miss. You get the ball in his hands and the highlight reel starts rolling.

Count me in as one who thinks this kid is more boom than bust.

better days
03-06-2013, 10:39 PM
He went from a rather simple JUCO playbook to a complex one under Dooley. Didn't show any struggles in that. What makes you think he would suddenly start now?

Applying the dumb label simply because a kid went the JUCO routes is awfully short sighted.

But he did not just go the JUCO route, he had to attend a private academy before he could even get into JUCO. Not a good sign. And we don't know how much Dooley dumbed down the offense for him either. A good coach can hide a players weaknesses.

better days
03-06-2013, 10:46 PM
In case anybody hasn't figured it out yet, it's officially lying season in the NFL.

“He fell out of the Stupid tree and hit every branch on the way down”
AJ Green had similar concerns before the draft and scored a 10 on his wonderlic. (Yes in terms of talent, he is no AJ Green but that is not the point)

Speaking of trees...
"He ran a full route tree in Tennessee's pro-style offense, executing the curl, hitch, skinny post, slant, back-shoulder fade, and deep-in as an X receiver, and the out-and-up and shallow cross from the slot."

Excellent body control, deals well with the press, is quick in and out of his breaks and has no trouble tracking the deep ball. Obviously needs to be sharper on his routes and sometimes catches the ball too close to his body but what college receiver doesn't have to work on those two things? It is like saying a college QB needs to be more accurate.

He is a natural "when I say 'play' you say 'maker'" and consistantly makes defenders miss. You get the ball in his hands and the highlight reel starts rolling.

Count me in as one who thinks this kid is more boom than bust.

It may be lying season, but here are facts. Patterson had to attend a private academy before he could even get into JUCO. That means he is incredibly STUPID or incredibly LAZY. In either case I would not want to draft a player high with either of those traits.

And ALL teams have the chance to interview this kid. They can judge for themselves how intelligent he is or isn't.

The Jokeman
03-07-2013, 09:06 AM
It may be lying season, but here are facts. Patterson had to attend a private academy before he could even get into JUCO. That means he is incredibly STUPID or incredibly LAZY. In either case I would not want to draft a player high with either of those traits.

And ALL teams have the chance to interview this kid. They can judge for themselves how intelligent he is or isn't.

Because everyone knows intelligence is the mark of a great player. I mean we have a QB who went to Harvard and scored the highest score of any QB in NFL history with a 48. Meanwhile that QB that lead us to 4 Super Bowls only scored a 13 on the same exam. Truth is look at what the guy does on the field and stop over analyzing him. I get why people do as everyone wants to find what's wrong with a guy in an effort to explain why we shouldn't take him etc.

k-oneputt
03-07-2013, 09:48 AM
We can get wr's later in the draft that can play.

Bill Cody
03-07-2013, 09:52 AM
Because everyone knows intelligence is the mark of a great player. I mean we have a QB who went to Harvard and scored the highest score of any QB in NFL history with a 48. Meanwhile that QB that lead us to 4 Super Bowls only scored a 13 on the same exam. Truth is look at what the guy does on the field and stop over analyzing him. I get why people do as everyone wants to find what's wrong with a guy in an effort to explain why we shouldn't take him etc.

Maybe this guy will be the next Jerry Rice. None of us know. There are some red flags here but you seem to think dumb and inexperienced is exactly the same as smart and experienced in terms of draft position. I disagree. There are guys that get paid a lot of money to make these calls and they will on Patterson. If he goes top 10 you're right. If he slides I am. We'll see won't we?

Mouldsie
03-07-2013, 01:56 PM
That 3rd girl in your signature is Alessandra Ambrosio I'm pretty sure....

The last buffalo fan
03-07-2013, 08:18 PM

So you are a model?

Mouldsie
03-07-2013, 09:44 PM
So you are a model?

Alessandra has always been my crush.

better days
03-08-2013, 06:26 AM

I have thought the same thing since he put it up.

better days
03-08-2013, 06:32 AM

There is average to below average intelligence, then there is dumb as a box of rocks. I have heard Patterson is so stupid that the team that drafts him will have to dumb down the offense & keep things simple for him.

YardRat
03-08-2013, 06:41 AM
The bottom line is nobody will care about dumb if the guy can play, but intelligence certainly is a factor for team deciding on whether the player is worth the risk at #8 or better to take a chance at #41.

I still think his biggest issue is his hands.

better days
03-08-2013, 06:47 AM
The bottom line is nobody will care about dumb if the guy can play, but intelligence certainly is a factor for team deciding on whether the player is worth the risk at #8 or better to take a chance at #41.

I still think his biggest issue is his hands.

If the guy can't learn the playbook or how to run a route, that is a huge issue in the NFL. I agree there is much less risk at #41 than at #8.