On Dan Patrick today he said it was the Bills that drive the price up for Alex Smith

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PTI
    Banned
    • Jan 2011

On Dan Patrick today he said it was the Bills that drive the price up for Alex Smith

Well, is this good or bad? Would you have wanted Smith? This took KC out of the QB market in the first 3 rounds, likely first 4 rounds, they still could take one. Helped 49ers get two nice picks. I missed part of what he was saying, did not hear a source. Also said the Bills would likely be cutting Fitz now and taking Geno Smith, FWIW
  • Mahdi
    • Mar 2004

Re: On Dan Patrick today he said it was the Bills that drive the price up for Alex Sm

Geno wouldn't get passed the Cardinals I don't think. Maybe even the Raiders.

Comment

• MitchMurrayDowntown
      Skoobasaurus-Rex
      • Oct 2011

Re: On Dan Patrick today he said it was the Bills that drive the price up for Alex Sm

I think the Bills are primed to tradeback & pick up additional picks, the top draft picks aren't worth were they're at in any normal draft.

Comment

• Bangarang
        • Sep 2010

Originally posted by MitchMurrayDowntown View Post
        I think the Bills are primed to tradeback & pick up additional picks, the top draft picks aren't worth were they're at in any normal draft.
        If the top draft picks aren't worth it then why would a team trade up and give up draft picks?

Comment

• Mr. Miyagi
          Lecter's Little Bitch

• Sep 2002

If one of the top tackles or DEs falls to us, we'd be in the position to trade back a few spots. That would be great if we could do that, use the extra pick to trade back up to the bottom of 1st and take one of the Nassib / Wilson / Barkley.

Otherwise I would have no problem staying put and taking either Barkley (reach) or a top LB and see which QB falls to us in the 2nd.

Comment

• Mahdi
            • Mar 2004

Originally posted by MitchMurrayDowntown View Post
            I would trade our 1st to the niners for their 31st pick plus both second rounders they have. That would have us picking at the end of the first, second overall in the second round, 9th and 31st.... Great way to build the roster with 4 picks in the top 64.

They use the 8th overall to select Dee Milliner or Jarvis Jones.
            Last edited by Mahdi; 03-05-2013, 10:35 AM.

Comment

• Night Train
              Retired - On Several Levels
              • Jul 2005

Originally posted by Mr. Miyagi View Post
              If one of the top tackles or DEs falls to us, we'd be in the position to trade back a few spots. That would be great if we could do that, use the extra pick to trade back up to the bottom of 1st and take one of the Nassib / Wilson / Barkley.

Otherwise I would have no problem staying put and taking either Barkley (reach) or a top LB and see which QB falls to us in the 2nd.

If we lose Levitre and one of those 3 LT's falls to us, we better run to the podium and select one without even considering a QB or LB. Those 3 LT's are FAR better.
              Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• MitchMurrayDowntown
                Skoobasaurus-Rex
                • Oct 2011

Originally posted by Bangarang View Post
                If the top draft picks aren't worth it then why would a team trade up and give up draft picks?
                I'll clarify in saying that our teams own needs look like they can be met in a latter part of the 1st round, other teams look to be able to use the help in the earlier part of the 1st round. There's no sure fire QB there & plenty of WR's to be had later in the round all with their own + / -'s, so that might give us the chance to tradeback if a solid T or QB is there. If the coaches / management love Geno & he's there, I'm not going to cry if they take him but I think Geno is going to be average at best. Barkley may have more upside but he played some shaky ball at certain points last season, we've seen enough of that on our team.
                Last edited by Skooby; 03-05-2013, 10:54 AM.

Comment

• DraftBoy
                  Administrator
                  • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Mahdi View Post
                  Geno wouldn't get passed the Cardinals I don't think. Maybe even the Raiders.
                  Rumor is its Barkley and not Geno that won't get past Arizona.
                  COMING SOON...
                  Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
                  We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• mjt328
                    • May 2011

Well, I guess it should not surprise me. Our GM has no idea what he's doing. Especially at the quarterback position.

The Chiefs got absolutely raped on that trade. If the Bills drove up the price on Alex Smith, it tells me they were offering a pretty good deal to the 49ers as well. It completely blows my mind that Alex Smith was a free agent JUST LAST YEAR and nobody wanted him. Now - after a season where he was benched, he's worth a high 2nd round pick plus...

It's funny how the same teams are so eager to snatch up mediocre veteran quarterbacks, but refuse to draft them. We traded picks for Rob Johnson and extended Fitzpatrick. Kansas City has played around with Matt Cassel, Trent Green and countless others. The Cardinals traded for Kevin Kolb. I've read that Arizona is interested in bringing in Cassel now. So it's completely conceivable that the top rated QB in the draft - Geno Smith - falls directly in our lap. And most likely we will pass on him in favor of reuniting the college powerhouse Syracuse Orangemen and drafting Nassib in the second. I can't think of a situation that screams Buffalo more than that.

The fact that Kansas City, Jacksonville and Arizona are trying to find other options (as opposed to drafting a quarterback high) should tell Buffalo that this quarterback class is going to be very good. None of those teams have any idea what they are doing either.
                    2013 "My Should Have" Draft
                    Posted During the 2013 Draft
                    1 - (16): Geno Smith, QB, West Virginia
                    2 - (41): Robert Woods, WR, USC
                    2 - (46): Arthur Brown, LB, Kansas State
                    3 - (78): Quinton Patton, WR, Louisiana Tech
                    4 - (105): Barrett Jones, OG, Alabama
                    5 - (143): Brandon Jenkins, LB, Florida State
                    6 - (177): Da'Rick Rogers, WR, Tennessee Tech
                    7 - (222): Tyler Bray, QB, Tennessee

2013 Buddy Nix Draft
                    1 - (16): E.J. Manuel, QB, Florida State
                    2 - (41): Robert Woods, WR, USC
                    2 - (46): Kiko Alonso, LB, Oregon
                    3 - (78): Marquise Goodwin, WR, Texas
                    4 - (105): Duke Williams, FS, Nevada
                    5 - (143): Jonathan Meeks, SS, Clemson
                    6 - (177): Dustin Hopkins, K, Florida State
                    7 - (222): Chris Gragg, TE, Arkansas

Comment

• MitchMurrayDowntown
                      Skoobasaurus-Rex
                      • Oct 2011

Originally posted by mjt328 View Post
                      Well, I guess it should not surprise me. Our GM has no idea what he's doing. Especially at the quarterback position.

The Chiefs got absolutely raped on that trade. If the Bills drove up the price on Alex Smith, it tells me they were offering a pretty good deal to the 49ers as well. It completely blows my mind that Alex Smith was a free agent JUST LAST YEAR and nobody wanted him. Now - after a season where he was benched, he's worth a high 2nd round pick plus...

It's funny how the same teams are so eager to snatch up mediocre veteran quarterbacks, but refuse to draft them. We traded picks for Rob Johnson and extended Fitzpatrick. Kansas City has played around with Matt Cassel, Trent Green and countless others. The Cardinals traded for Kevin Kolb. I've read that Arizona is interested in bringing in Cassel now. So it's completely conceivable that the top rated QB in the draft - Geno Smith - falls directly in our lap. And most likely we will pass on him in favor of reuniting the college powerhouse Syracuse Orangemen and drafting Nassib in the second. I can't think of a situation that screams Buffalo more than that.

The fact that Kansas City, Jacksonville and Arizona are trying to find other options (as opposed to drafting a quarterback high) should tell Buffalo that this quarterback class is going to be very good. None of those teams have any idea what they are doing either.
                      Do you think Geno would make us a contender at any point in his career ?? The rest of your post is dead on but I think Nassib might be available with an extra 2nd round pick would could get by trading back, then it wouldn't sting to bring him in.
                      Last edited by Skooby; 03-05-2013, 11:02 AM.

Comment

• PTI
                        Banned
                        • Jan 2011

I think the Jags will let Gabbert and Henne compete and maybe get someone after round 3. Gabbert actually had a great preseason, and then was OK, but crapped the bed and got hurt.

Comment

• ServoBillieves
                          The Voice of Reason
                          • Jul 2007

Every year it's the same...

"Trade back for more picks, trade back, we'll trade back for 8 picks with 3 of ours..."
                          Bye Bye Brady...

Comment

• Mahdi
                            • Mar 2004

Originally posted by ServoBillieves View Post
                            Every year it's the same...

"Trade back for more picks, trade back, we'll trade back for 8 picks with 3 of ours..."
                            That's why you use the value chart to get an idea of what picks are worth what in a trade...

Comment

• ServoBillieves
                              The Voice of Reason
                              • Jul 2007

Originally posted by PTI View Post
                              I think the Jags will let Gabbert and Henne compete and maybe get someone after round 3. Gabbert actually had a great preseason, and then was OK, but crapped the bed and got hurt.
                              Henne did kind of surprise last year (compared to Gabbert), that's an interesting QB battle there.
                              Bye Bye Brady...

Comment

Working...
                              X