What else do I need to say?

JoeMama
03-05-2013, 09:13 AM
TIME FOR A QB IS NOW.

GET ONE OF THEM!!!

OK!!!

T-Long
03-05-2013, 09:22 AM
I'm thinking the same thing....cut Fitz, sign whichever of these QBs are there at 8, let rookie and T-Jax battle it out and camp

trapezeus
03-05-2013, 09:40 AM
time for another Thurm email in caps stating the obvious but making the wrong selections. is thurm russ?

Joe Fo Sho
03-05-2013, 09:44 AM
What else do I need to say?

Maybe explain why you think either one of these players is worthy of our 8th overall pick, or saying when you want to select these players. Or why you think that Geno will be available when we select. Or why Barkley is a good fit to play in Buffalo weather. There are probably other things you could say to make your argument, it's not just limited to what I've suggested.

Basically, anything other than saying "ERMAHGERD!!! WE NEED A QUARTERBACK!!! LET'S TAKE ONE OF THE PLAYERS THAT IS LISTED AS A QB! ERMAHGERD!!!"

Mr. Miyagi
03-05-2013, 10:02 AM
TIME FOR A QB IS NOW.

GET ONE OF THEM!!!
I'm with Thurm. I have no problem taking one of these 2 at #8. All the other ones are reaches in the 1st though.

ThunderGun
03-05-2013, 10:12 AM
I'm with Thurm. I have no problem taking one of these 2 at #8. All the other ones are reaches in the 1st though.

Just my opinion, but I wouldn't touch Barkley at 8.

Jaybird
03-05-2013, 10:25 AM
We all know we have the need for a QB. however, reaching for one is beyond risky. Geno seems to be the standout of a very average draft class. Dafting the worng Qb this year will effect the team at least for another 3 years. We can't afford to have the wrong man behind centre for that long.
I don't even consider barkley to be an option as he hasn;t shown much. he hasn;t won the big game, he has a noodle for an arm. USC has plenty of talent on the roster, and he was just not good enough to win. lets not forget to mention what we've seen from the previous USC QB. Cut Fitz without question, and draft a QB (just not in the first round) and try and bring someone else to give Jackson some competition.

Night Train
03-05-2013, 10:46 AM
We all know we have the need for a QB. however, reaching for one is beyond risky. Geno seems to be the standout of a very average draft class. Dafting the worng Qb this year will effect the team at least for another 3 years. We can't afford to have the wrong man behind centre for that long.
I don't even consider barkley to be an option as he hasn;t shown much. he hasn;t won the big game, he has a noodle for an arm. USC has plenty of talent on the roster, and he was just not good enough to win. lets not forget to mention what we've seen from the previous USC QB. Cut Fitz without question, and draft a QB (just not in the first round) and try and bring someone else to give Jackson some competition.

:bf1:

RedEyE
03-05-2013, 10:46 AM
IMO, if its not Geno, wait it out until the 2nd round.

DraftBoy
03-05-2013, 10:52 AM
I like Geno and have no issue taking him but at this point I'd pass and wait to see what Round 2 or 3 hold.

Yasgur's Farm
03-05-2013, 10:57 AM
IMO... No fooling around...
1) If Smith is there at 8, we gotta take him PLUS EJ Manuel in the 3rd.
2) If Smith is gone, grab Barkley at 8 PLUS Nassib in the 2nd.

HAMMER
03-05-2013, 11:30 AM

Silly, just silly.

OpIv37
03-05-2013, 11:33 AM

If we take Barkley at 8 because Geno is gone, there is no way Nassib lasts til 40 with both of those two off the board so early.

More importantly, if we use our top 2 or 2 of the top 3 picks on QB, how do we address LB, CB, WR, TE or LG when Levitre walks?

Joe Fo Sho
03-05-2013, 11:40 AM

Good thing you told me that you weren't fooling around, otherwise I would think this was a joke. Now I just think you're crazy.

bosshogg21
03-05-2013, 11:47 AM

You are 100% wrong on it being risky and setting them back 3 more years. Teams are not locked into a guy like they were before with the new rookie pay scale. They can draft one of these guys this year and if he sucks, draft one in the first round next year and totally afford it. It's crazy not to take a chance on a qb with what we have witnessed in the nfl today. So many rookie starters starting and doing well. A first year starter playing like a madman and getting to the Super Bowl. 3 rookies leading their teams to the playiffs, none of which were suppose to be there according to forecasts. I guessmaybe we should keep ignoring the position and hope for the best like the last 13 years. Gotta try something different and no one knows how good geno smith could be, not to mention the exposure he would give us.

Joe Fo Sho
03-05-2013, 11:50 AM
You are 100% wrong on it being risky and setting them back 3 more years. Teams are not locked into a guy like they were before with the new rookie pay scale. They can draft one of these guys this year and if he sucks, draft one in the first round next year and totally afford it. It's crazy not to take a chance on a qb with what we have witnessed in the nfl today. So many rookie starters starting and doing well. A first year starter playing like a madman and getting to the Super Bowl. 3 rookies leading their teams to the playiffs, none of which were suppose to be there according to forecasts. I guessmaybe we should keep ignoring the position and hope for the best like the last 13 years. Gotta try something different and no one knows how good geno smith could be, not to mention the exposure he would give us.

He's 100% right on it being risky. If a rookie QB sucks, you want to just give up on him? That's crazy, you have to invest time in your franchise QB. It's not just about money.

bosshogg21
03-05-2013, 11:59 AM
Cleveland might possibly give up on weeden after 1 year and he didn't even play that bad. The seahawks gave up on matt flynn after a big deal before he even got a start. My point is, it's much safer to take a flier on qb now than it was. It doesn't necessarily set you back. I'd roll those dice 10 out of 10 times than going to battle with Tarvaris Jackson or Ryan Fitzpatrick as my qb.

OpIv37
03-05-2013, 12:01 PM

He's 100% right on it being risky. If a rookie QB sucks, you want to just give up on him? That's crazy, you have to invest time in your franchise QB. It's not just about money.

What he said, plus the opportunity cost of a first round draft pick that could be used on other positions. One of the main reasons why the Bills have sucked so badly the last decade or so is because of poor drafting in be early rounds. Taking a guy with the mentality "eh, we will just cut him if he sucks" in the first Round is insane.

OpIv37
03-05-2013, 12:03 PM
Cleveland might possibly give up on weeden after 1 year and he didn't even play that bad. The seahawks gave up on matt flynn after a big deal before he even got a start. My point is, it's much safer to take a flier on qb now than it was. It doesn't necessarily set you back. I'd roll those dice 10 out of 10 times than going to battle with Tarvaris Jackson or Ryan Fitzpatrick as my qb.

Missing on a first round draft choice ALWAYS sets you back.

Joe Fo Sho
03-05-2013, 12:04 PM

And that's a perfectly fine opinion, but your examples are weak. Weeden will be 30 years old by the end of next season, the Browns can't wait because he's 5 years away from retiring. Matt Flynn is not a rookie, giving up on a Free Agent after 1 year isn't unheard of. Especially when the resume of that free agent only consists of 1 good game. The Bills should've been so lucky to give up on Rob Johnson that soon. Developing a franchise QB can take more than 1 year, and shouldn't be rushed.

Joe Fo Sho
03-05-2013, 12:07 PM
Missing on a first round draft choice ALWAYS sets you back.

Exactly. It's not just taking a risk by drafting rookie QB, it's also taking a risk by NOT drafting another player. You just have to weigh your options, and I don't think drafting a QB at 8 is the right road to wander down.

Pinkerton Security
03-05-2013, 12:08 PM

What will either of these buy us? An immediate QB controversy? Not to mention the fact that Barkley might not even go in the first round, let alone top 10.

bosshogg21
03-05-2013, 12:12 PM
Maybe you guys like the same results so you can sit around here and have ***** sessions. I'm ready to draft a qb. I'm ready to draft one every year if we have to.

Pinkerton Security
03-05-2013, 12:18 PM
Maybe you guys like the same results so you can sit around here and have ***** sessions. I'm ready to draft a qb. I'm ready to draft one every year if we have to.

Good thing you're not making any decisions then. Grasping at straws isnt exactly a sound strategy. Sure, you may hit one every once in a while, yet you're going to see most other positions on the team suffer badly from this strategy.

bosshogg21
03-05-2013, 12:22 PM
Good thing you're not making any decisions then. Grasping at straws isnt exactly a sound strategy. Sure, you may hit one every once in a while, yet you're going to see most other positions on the team suffer badly from this strategy.

Ok buddy. Geno smith is grasping at straws lol

bosshogg21
03-05-2013, 12:29 PM

As opposed to what? The old strategy of ignoring the position for the last 6-8 years and expecting different results? The redskins drafted 2 qbs last year and both are better than what we have. I'd say they are set for awhile at the hardest position to be good at. Oh and guess what? They helped take a consensus preseason awful team to the playoffs. No one saw it coming. Rg3 went down, cousins came in and won games.

Pinkerton Security
03-05-2013, 12:31 PM
Ok buddy. Geno smith is grasping at straws lol

Did i say Geno Smith was grasping at straws, BUDDY? Drafting a QB every year is grasping at straws. Im absolutely on board with Smith at 8, if hes there.

OpIv37
03-05-2013, 12:33 PM
As opposed to what? The old strategy of ignoring the position for the last 6-8 years and expecting different results? The redskins drafted 2 qbs last year and both are better than what we have. I'd say they are set for awhile at the hardest position to be good at. Oh and guess what? They helped take a consensus preseason awful team to the playoffs. No one saw it coming. Rg3 went down, cousins came in and won games.

Once again, the old mantra of using the exception to prove the rule. It worked for one team once. So did using the Wildcat as a base offense. That doesn't mean we should do it.

The flaw in your logic is assuming that different actions automatically will bring different results. What you are really doing is the same thing we have done in the past: pissing away a first round draft pick.

Joe Fo Sho
03-05-2013, 12:49 PM

The people who are talking about how good the QB draft class is are the people who don't want to draft a QB high this year.

The people who want to draft a QB this year seem to only be making their argument based on history. They also say we should draft a QB just to draft a QB, and draft a QB every year. Neither of those arguments seem logical to me.

bosshogg21
03-05-2013, 12:49 PM
Once again, the old mantra of using the exception to prove the rule. It worked for one team once. So did using the Wildcat as a base offense. That doesn't mean we should do it.

The flaw in your logic is assuming that different actions automatically will bring different results. What you are really doing is the same thing we have done in the past: pissing away a first round draft pick.

Its always a risk in the first round. It'd be nice to actually take a risk with the qb position for once, like no guts no glory. Here's a question for you guys? Who do you take then if all are available? They are all question marks in this draft. Ogletree can't stay out of trouble, j. jones has health issues, Patterson interviewed poorly and only played d1 for 1 season. If you guys say milliner then I know you just want more of the same. The only guy I'd be ok with possibly taking over qb is dion Jordan and he needs shoulder surgery for chrissake.

Jaybird
03-05-2013, 02:46 PM

No team will cut a QB after their rookie season. You give him a second and most likely a third chance. Perfect example is BLAME gabert. The guy is scared to remain int he pocket and still find himself on a team after year 2. Alsom he will probably hang around for this year as a backup. Drafting a need without proven player available is not a good move. Geno Smith, has not shown enough to merit a top 10 pick. The 3 rookies that came out the past season all had great seasons in college and performed, YES even russel. The knock on him was his size.

BillsFever21
03-05-2013, 04:22 PM
So what is your plan draft a rookie and if he doesn't win or play good in his rookie season then just keep drafting another one every year? Not every QB plays great right out of the gate. Sure eventually we will find a QB but we won't have anybody else on the roster.

If Geno Smith is available at #8 I would take him and not take the chance of passing on him and seeing him become a good QB. If he is already off the board though then take the best LB and wait until the 2nd round and get the QB. The last thing we need to do is reach for a quality of QB that we can get in the 2nd round when we have as many holes as we have. This team will be drafting in the Top 10 again next year.

YardRat
03-05-2013, 04:36 PM
Hell no.

Best defender or oline available at #8, whichever QB drops to us at #41, and maybe Scott in the fifth or sixth.

SABURZFAN
03-05-2013, 04:37 PM
wasting a 1st round draft pick on a QB in this draft will be a BIG mistake.

HAMMER
03-05-2013, 04:48 PM
Barkley is The One, hopefully he makes it to 8.

OpIv37
03-05-2013, 04:50 PM
Its always a risk in the first round. It'd be nice to actually take a risk with the qb position for once, like no guts no glory. Here's a question for you guys? Who do you take then if all are available? They are all question marks in this draft. Ogletree can't stay out of trouble, j. jones has health issues, Patterson interviewed poorly and only played d1 for 1 season. If you guys say milliner then I know you just want more of the same. The only guy I'd be ok with possibly taking over qb is dion Jordan and he needs shoulder surgery for chrissake.
Risks have to be calculated. Taking a risk on a QB in this piss poor draft class is not a good risk to take.

At some point, we will need to take a risk on a QB and I wish now was that time, but the QB we need just isn't there. Remember JP Losman? That's what happens when you get desperate and take the available QB instead of being smart.

Captain Obvious
03-05-2013, 05:13 PM
The opportunity cost of not upgrading the QB position and staying with the status quo(Fitzpatrick.. Jackson) is enormous

The Jokeman
03-05-2013, 06:49 PM

Yet taking a flier on a QB and over drafting one is another story. The reason the Seahawks got praised last is because they landed Russell Wilson later than sooner. As had they taken him in the 1st or 2nd Round it would have prevented them from getting Bruce Irvin and Bobby Wagner earlier both whom were vital in their D's turn around. As the draft is and always will be about acquring the best group of guys which so many fans fail to understand. As it's a simple concept but not simply done. So as a few have already mentioned I think the best plan the Bills can do is either grab Geno in Round 1 or grab someone else in Round 2. If I were in charge of things Patterson is my 1st Round pick, as think he's so dynamic it's hard to pass him up and then see what's out there in Round 2. If a guy like Wilson or Manuel is there I'm all for it. As I truely feel that a QB is more a product of a great team then vice versa. Especially when their young. Once they hone their skills then they might be better. Case in point Tom Brady is now a far superior QB then he was when he won his 1st Super Bowl but because the Patriots D isn't as good (thanks to the loss of Richard Seymour it seems) his team not been able to win the big one.

OpIv37
03-05-2013, 07:30 PM
I think people are forgetting just how friggin bad this team was last year.

Even if we find a QB, who will he throw to when the other team doubles Stevie all game? Who's gonna protect him when Levitre walks? Who's gonna play LB and keep the other team from running up 200 yards on the ground while our great young QB sits on the bench waiting to get on the field? Who's gonna play CB and keep Brady from putting up 4 TD's in the first half?

Given the risk associated with taking a QB- particularly one of these QB's- the more logical thing to do is try to fill one of the other holes so we have a better team around a QB if we do get one.

Ideally we can grab Nassib in the 2nd but I doubt he'll be around that long.

The Jokeman
03-05-2013, 07:55 PM

Even if we find a QB, who will he throw to when the other team doubles Stevie all game? Who's gonna protect him when Levitre walks? Who's gonna play LB and keep the other team from running up 200 yards on the ground while our great young QB sits on the bench waiting to get on the field? Who's gonna play CB and keep Brady from putting up 4 TD's in the first half?

Given the risk associated with taking a QB- particularly one of these QB's- the more logical thing to do is try to fill one of the other holes so we have a better team around a QB if we do get one.

Why the doubt? NFL.com grades him out as 78.7, Brock Osweiler graded as 83.5 and he went in the late 2nd Round last year to the Broncos. Toss in most list list Nassib as the 4th/5th best QB in the draft which means he should be available in Round 2. If he falls to pick 41 is another question but I like the chances now more that Alex Smith is in KC.

kingJofNYC
03-05-2013, 08:02 PM
Barkley is ****.

better days
03-06-2013, 02:52 PM

Yeah, that makes a lot of sense. Who cares that QUARTERBACK the most IMPORTANT position in football & also the Bills BIGGEST HOLE, let's leave that CRATER open & fill in a pebble sized hole instead.

Joe Fo Sho
03-06-2013, 03:03 PM
Yeah, that makes a lot of sense. Who cares that QUARTERBACK the most IMPORTANT position in football & also the Bills BIGGEST HOLE, let's leave that CRATER open & fill in a pebble sized hole instead.

Right, but why fill the hole with sewage?

OpIv37
03-06-2013, 03:06 PM

well, you are exaggerating slightly here. But, if you must stick with that absurd analogy, you are neglecting the fact that if you take one of these QB's at 8 and try to fill the crater-sized hole, he's gonna fall right in because none of them are big enough to fill that hole.

better days
03-06-2013, 03:09 PM
Right, but why fill the hole with sewage?

Sewage is what is filling that hole NOW.

Joe Fo Sho
03-06-2013, 03:11 PM
well, you are exaggerating slightly here. But, if you must stick with that absurd analogy, you are neglecting the fact that if you take one of these QB's at 8 and try to fill the crater-sized hole, he's gonna fall right in because none of them are big enough to fill that hole.

Ahh, I see you went with the 'player acting as a crater-filler not big enough' response...I chose the 'player acting as crater-filler would just fill the hole with poop' rebuttal.

Joe Fo Sho
03-06-2013, 03:12 PM
Sewage is what is filling that hole NOW.

I don't disagree, I just don't think that adding sewage to sewage gets us anywhere when we may have the opportunity to at least get an air freshener. You can't clean up a water spill with a wetnap.

better days
03-06-2013, 03:13 PM

What did I say that is absurd?

That QB is the MOST IMPORTANT position in football?

Or that QB was the BIGGEST hole on this team?

I think both of those statements are TRUE & not absurd at all.

better days
03-06-2013, 03:14 PM
I don't disagree, I just don't think that adding sewage to sewage gets us anywhere when we may have the opportunity to at least get an air freshener. You can't clean up a water spill with a wetnap.

We need a shamwow. Too bad Billy Mays bit the dust.

Joe Fo Sho
03-06-2013, 03:18 PM
We need a shamwow. Too bad Billy Mays bit the dust.

Are there any German QBs in this draft? The Germans make great stuff.

OpIv37
03-06-2013, 03:19 PM
What did I say that is absurd?

That QB is the MOST IMPORTANT position in football?

Or that QB was the BIGGEST hole on this team?

I think both of those statements are TRUE & not absurd at all.

Put a good QB on a crappy team and he's still not going to win. See the Bengals for most of Carson Palmer's career.

We have to fix the QB situation but we also have to fix the team around him. And we have limited resources in terms of cap space, roster spots, etc. And there is high demand and low supply. The only thing to do in that situation is to maximize value while you can. And taking one of these QB's at 8 is not maximizing value.

Bill Cody
03-06-2013, 03:29 PM
Put a good QB on a crappy team and he's still not going to win. See the Bengals for most of Carson Palmer's career.

We have to fix the QB situation but we also have to fix the team around him. And we have limited resources in terms of cap space, roster spots, etc. And there is high demand and low supply. The only thing to do in that situation is to maximize value while you can. And taking one of these QB's at 8 is not maximizing value.

So your take is Geno is not worth the 8th pick? I disagree. He's a 1st round talent at our biggest area of need. He's not a sure thing but neither is anyone else we might take at 8. In any case I will be more than stunned if we pass on him to draft another position, pretty sure that won't happen.

better days
03-06-2013, 03:34 PM

Look at the Colts, they WON with Manning. The year he does not play they go in the toilet & get the first pick in the draft. Then after drafting Luck they WIN again.

A QB is far more important than you think.

And the BS about limited cap space. There are still 5 teams that are OVER the cap TODAY. The Bills have money to spend. No they won't spend like last year, but they have enough to fill some pebble sized holes.

OpIv37
03-06-2013, 03:38 PM
Look at the Colts, they WON with Manning. The year he does not play they go in the toilet & get the first pick in the draft. Then after drafting Luck they WIN again.

A QB is far more important than you think.

And the BS about limited cap space. There are still 5 teams that are OVER the cap TODAY. The Bills have money to spend. No they won't spend like last year, but they have enough to fill some pebble sized holes.

We have 1 WR. We need at least 2. We have no NFL starting quality LB's, with the possible exception of Bradham. We have one NFL CB in Gilmore- McKelvin is a nickel back at best. And we'll need a LG when Levitre walks. You call that "pebble sized?"

Go ahead and take your QB. We'll get him shell-shocked when he has no one to throw to and no one to block for him, just like what we did to Edwards, Losman, Johnson and Collins. And if by some odd chance that doesn't happen and he still turns out to be good, he'll be pretty useless warming the bench as other teams rack up 200 yards on the ground and whiz TD passes by our CB's heads.

better days
03-06-2013, 03:46 PM
We have 1 WR. We need at least 2. We have no NFL starting quality LB's, with the possible exception of Bradham. We have one NFL CB in Gilmore- McKelvin is a nickel back at best. And we'll need a LG when Levitre walks. You call that "pebble sized?"

Go ahead and take your QB. We'll get him shell-shocked when he has no one to throw to and no one to block for him, just like what we did to Edwards, Losman, Johnson and Collins. And if by some odd chance that doesn't happen and he still turns out to be good, he'll be pretty useless warming the bench as other teams rack up 200 yards on the ground and whiz TD passes by our CB's heads.

Even if Levitre leaves, the Bills have a decent OL. The QB will not be destroyed unless he holds on to the ball for too long & if so that is on him, not the OL. TJ Graham may step up this year & the Bills are sure to get another WR or 2. Byrd & Scott will return some of those passes for TDs with a strong pass rush that Pettines defense will bring.

Mr. Pink
03-06-2013, 03:48 PM
If we take Barkley, at all, to be the heir apparent we will be irrelevant, meaningless and a crap football team for at least another 3 years.

Why not just go sign or trade for Brady Quinn, Matt Leinart, Jimmy Claussen or Colt McCoy.

It'll produce the same results.

Bill Cody
03-06-2013, 03:49 PM

Taking a QB doesn't mean we forfeit the rest of our picks. Geno is a pretty good prospect. If we hit on him he'll be worth 5 receivers.

Bill Cody
03-06-2013, 03:51 PM
If we take Barkley, at all, to be the heir apparent we will be irrelevant, meaningless and a crap football team for at least another 3 years.

Why not just go sign or trade for Brady Quinn, Matt Leinart, Jimmy Claussen or Colt McCoy.

It'll produce the same results.

I don't really disagree. The only 1st round QB in this draft is Geno.

OpIv37
03-06-2013, 06:38 PM
Even if Levitre leaves, the Bills have a decent OL. The QB will not be destroyed unless he holds on to the ball for too long & if so that is on him, not the OL. TJ Graham may step up this year & the Bills are sure to get another WR or 2. Byrd & Scott will return some of those passes for TDs with a strong pass rush that Pettines defense will bring.
You really think a rookie QB with no WR's isn't going to hold the ball too long? Please.

As far as Graham, people have been preaching this "rookie improvement" thing since this board has existed. With one or two rare exceptions, it hasn't happened.

And where is this strong pass rush going to come from? Our DL is a paper tiger. The results speak for themselves.

And why would a QB throw towards Byrd when we have garbage CB's on the outside?

Think these thing through, man. Don't stop the thought process when you get to a part that you like.

OpIv37
03-06-2013, 06:40 PM
Taking a QB doesn't mean we forfeit the rest of our picks. Geno is a pretty good prospect. If we hit on him he'll be worth 5 receivers.

How many guys who can immediately be starting LB's, CB's and WR's do you expect to find after the first round?

This team has too many holes to not use that pick on someone who can be immediately helpful.

bosshogg21
03-06-2013, 08:55 PM
I've come to the conclusion Op and I agree on nothing. I can't tell if you're just always playing devils advocate but we disagree on just about everything. I may not post here a lot but I'm here reading everyday so it's as much a part of my life as everyone's to come here on a daily.

OpIv37
03-06-2013, 09:05 PM
I've come to the conclusion Op and I agree on nothing. I can't tell if you're just always playing devils advocate but we disagree on just about everything. I may not post here a lot but I'm here reading everyday so it's as much a part of my life as everyone's to come here on a daily.

No devil's advocate.

I'm just not afraid to say the realities that people don't want to here.

OpIv37
03-06-2013, 09:08 PM
And I don't know how long you've been around, but I've been right a hell of a lot more than I've been wrong. And when I've been wrong, it's usually been because I've been too positive and actually thought the team did something right.

better days
03-06-2013, 11:04 PM
You really think a rookie QB with no WR's isn't going to hold the ball too long? Please.

As far as Graham, people have been preaching this "rookie improvement" thing since this board has existed. With one or two rare exceptions, it hasn't happened.

And where is this strong pass rush going to come from? Our DL is a paper tiger. The results speak for themselves.

And why would a QB throw towards Byrd when we have garbage CB's on the outside?

Think these thing through, man. Don't stop the thought process when you get to a part that you like.

Maybe you haven't heard. The Bills have a new DC that is known to pressure the QB. If you can't get to the QB with 3, you bring 4. If you can't get there with 4 you bring 5.

And I would not call Gilmore garbage & we don't know who will man the other side yet, but if he needs help, he will get it.

And, with FEW exceptions WR's develop in the 2nd year. The vast majority do not tear up the league their rookie year.

better days
03-06-2013, 11:09 PM
How many guys who can immediately be starting LB's, CB's and WR's do you expect to find after the first round?

This team has too many holes to not use that pick on someone who can be immediately helpful.

Well, this draft is supposed to be DEEP at BOTH the LB & WR positions. A GOOD LB or WR may be available in the 4th or 5th rnd this year.

OpIv37
03-06-2013, 11:37 PM
Well, this draft is supposed to be DEEP at BOTH the LB & WR positions. A GOOD LB or WR may be available in the 4th or 5th rnd this year.

Except I didn't say that there were no guys who would eventually good in the later rounds. I was talking about guys who can fill our immediate need. Two different things.

better days
03-06-2013, 11:41 PM
Except I didn't say that there were no guys who would eventually good in the later rounds. I was talking about guys who can fill our immediate need. Two different things.

Well, our IMMEDIATE NEED is a GOOD QB. There is no need more immediate than that.

OpIv37
03-06-2013, 11:42 PM
Maybe you haven't heard. The Bills have a new DC that is known to pressure the QB. If you can't get to the QB with 3, you bring 4. If you can't get there with 4 you bring 5.

And I would not call Gilmore garbage & we don't know who will man the other side yet, but if he needs help, he will get it.

And, with FEW exceptions WR's develop in the 2nd year. The vast majority do not tear up the league their rookie year.
It doesn't matter if the DC likes to pressure the QB if he lacks the talent to do so. And pressuring the QB in the Big East is a little different than doing it in the NFL.

And I never called Gilmore garbage. But NFL teams have anywhere from 2-5 WR's on the field at a time and Gilmore can't cover them all. It's presumptuous to assume he will get help, but it goes with your MO of giving Nix credit for things that have yet to happen.

- - - Updated - - -

Well, our IMMEDIATE NEED is a GOOD QB. There is no need more immediate than that.
Not true. Just look at the defensive stats from last year.

kishoph
03-07-2013, 07:09 AM
I'm sure I'm in the minority, but I do not want Geno Smith as the first choice at QB, I think the biggest reason he has distanced himself from the other QB's is because the "experts" needed to hitch their wagon to someone and possibly they think Smith is the safest bet. I think different, while Smith may be the most physically gifted, I think he has the most question marks of the top prospects about how he'll perform in the NFL. I'm not gonna be totally disappointed if the Bills do draft him, because I really think going with a QB is essential to the teams success, but there are other QB's that I would select before Smith.

better days
03-07-2013, 07:21 AM
It doesn't matter if the DC likes to pressure the QB if he lacks the talent to do so. And pressuring the QB in the Big East is a little different than doing it in the NFL.

And I never called Gilmore garbage. But NFL teams have anywhere from 2-5 WR's on the field at a time and Gilmore can't cover them all. It's presumptuous to assume he will get help, but it goes with your MO of giving Nix credit for things that have yet to happen.

- - - Updated - - -

Not true. Just look at the defensive stats from last year.

"we have garbage CB's on the outside" Yeah, you did call Gilmore GARBAGE.
Nix said he wanted to resign McKelvin to play CB. He also said McKelvin would get some help with covering WR's. I said whoever plays CB opposite Gilmore, I did not give Nix credit for resigning McKelvin YET, but I expect him to.

As has been said before by me & many others, the defensive stats can be more blamed on the DC last year than the players. The Bills had the fewest blitz's of any team in the NFL.

OpIv37
03-07-2013, 07:59 AM
Who's gonna blitz? We have no LB's worth a damn and if we blitz Gilmore or Byrd then we have coverage issues because of the lack of quality amongst the other DB's.

k-oneputt
03-07-2013, 09:41 AM
If this scouting dept can't draft a lb and db in rds 3-6 that can come in, and play immediately, then something is wrong.
We have Gilmore, Brooks, and Williams in some capacity right now. I would like to keep McKelvin for a 3 or 4, who knows if they re-sign him. I think Rogers stinks but I don't know where this staff is on him yet. They will need at least one, probably two db's.
They will need at least one lb to come in and start.
I know this they better not be wasting these picks on their stupid developmental players out of nowhere. These picks have to contribute now.

Bill Cody
03-07-2013, 10:00 AM
I'm sure I'm in the minority, but I do not want Geno Smith as the first choice at QB, I think the biggest reason he has distanced himself from the other QB's is because the "experts" needed to hitch their wagon to someone and possibly they think Smith is the safest bet. I think different, while Smith may be the most physically gifted, I think he has the most question marks of the top prospects about how he'll perform in the NFL. I'm not gonna be totally disappointed if the Bills do draft him, because I really think going with a QB is essential to the teams success, but there are other QB's that I would select before Smith.

who?

Bill Cody
03-07-2013, 10:07 AM

I wouldn't be too fixated on that. Drafting is way too hard to judge players on whether they're going to be stars right away, especially at QB. We just have to do a better job at finding good players not busts. I get you're impatient to win, who isn't but if we have a chance to take the best QB in this draft we will and we'll all going to have to be patient with him whether we want to or not. If Geno is gone then we have to go Plan B IMO.

justasportsfan
03-07-2013, 10:19 AM
Don't care if it's Geno, Barkley ,Wilson or Nassib. As long it's the qb they want and think is a future franchise qb. I don't want them to settle for any qb just because they need a qb.

kishoph
03-08-2013, 04:15 AM
who?

Honestly I would take Wilson, Barkley or Nassib before Smith who I think is going to have a harder time adjusting to the NFL. I think he may be a "system" QB from a system that's not going to work in the NFL.

YardRat
03-08-2013, 05:09 AM

You're confusing coordinators...Pettine came over from NYJ, not Syracuse.

OpIv37
03-08-2013, 07:57 AM
Fair enough. I still think we lack the talent to pressure the QB effectively. This D has a long way to go.

better days
03-08-2013, 08:15 AM
This D has a long way to go.

...............and a short time to get there. East bound & down.

hemi13
03-08-2013, 10:16 AM
TIME FOR A QB IS NOW.

GET ONE OF THEM!!!
Not either of them !!!

Both over rated
VERY OVER RATED!!!