• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • The King
    Without me it's just Awe so
    • Jun 2004

SD to release Spikes today

San Diego is set to release Takeo Spikes today according to Schef/
    I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?"
    "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet.
    You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times."
    It was all
    true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach.
    He sees something in me, some kind of raw talent that he can
    mold. But that's when I felt the handcuffs go on.

• OpIv37
    Acid Douching Asswipe
    • Sep 2002

Re: SD to release Spikes today

Too bad. He's probably done.

Definitely my favorite Bill during these last 12 years of misery. I wish the injury didnt derail him because he was a monster for the 2 or 3 years he was here before it happened.

And I met him once after a game in Baltimore. People joke about jocks having no neck, but he really had no neck- just a deltoid muscle from his shoulder to just underneath his jaw.
    MiKiDo Facebook
    MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Jaybird
      • Dec 2005

The guy yas beyond a monster for the bills prior to his injury. I think he will stand land with someone and continue his career. His work ethic, and conditions will keep him in the game another few years. The guy was a stud in the league for years, and many didn't know. His days with the bengals and bills, he was a top player at his position.

A real class act and a benefit to any team. We should bring him back for his ledership alone. And having depth at a position of need

Comment

• ThunderGun
        • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Jaybird View Post
        The guy yas beyond a monster for the bills prior to his injury. I think he will stand land with someone and continue his career. His work ethic, and conditions will keep him in the game another few years. The guy was a stud in the league for years, and many didn't know. His days with the bengals and bills, he was a top player at his position.

A real class act and a benefit to any team. We should bring him back for his ledership alone. And having depth at a position of need
        IF he does continue to play football, I can't imagine him not signing on with a playoff-contender. In his 15 year career, he has never played in a playoff game. Still, I'd love to have him back.

Comment

• ServoBillieves
          The Voice of Reason
          • Jul 2007

Bring him in.

That's not my sarcastic "bring him in because we know the name" that I usually do, I'm dead serious. Bring him in. If we're letting veterans go like Barnett and Wilson, I see it as an incredibly long shot, but the guy can still mentor and can still be a leader.

Plus he's better than the dribble that's at LB right now.

I was at the game where he went down, happened right in front of me. I remember him sitting on the ground and throwing his helmet so hard the chin strap blasted off and landed about 10 yards downfield. Guy's got a lot of heart for the game.
          Bye Bye Brady...

Comment

• OpIv37
            Acid Douching Asswipe
            • Sep 2002

Originally posted by ServoBillieves View Post
            Bring him in.

That's not my sarcastic "bring him in because we know the name" that I usually do, I'm dead serious. Bring him in. If we're letting veterans go like Barnett and Wilson, I see it as an incredibly long shot, but the guy can still mentor and can still be a leader.

Plus he's better than the dribble that's at LB right now.

I was at the game where he went down, happened right in front of me. I remember him sitting on the ground and throwing his helmet so hard the chin strap blasted off and landed about 10 yards downfield. Guy's got a lot of heart for the game.
            If I remember correctly, he had some micro tears in the Achilles before tha game but decided to play through it, so he probably knew what it was as soon as it happened, hence the reaction.

On a pure emotional level I'd like to bring him back, but I don't think it's a very good football decision at his age.
            MiKiDo Facebook
            MiKiDo Website

Comment

• ServoBillieves
              The Voice of Reason
              • Jul 2007

Originally posted by OpIv37 View Post
              If I remember correctly, he had some micro tears in the Achilles before tha game but decided to play through it, so he probably knew what it was as soon as it happened, hence the reaction.

On a pure emotional level I'd like to bring him back, but I don't think it's a very good football decision at his age.
              As you said, my post was in pure emotion, but the more I think about it, he's seriously a huge upgrade to what we have now. If we're doing the hybrid 3-4 4-3 thing, he could do well in that ILB spot with the 4 LB set. Pure speculation, won't happen, but a thought.
              Bye Bye Brady...

Comment

• Mahdi
                • Mar 2004

Would be funny if the Pats signed him. Spikes and Spikes.

Comment

• k-oneputt
                  • Jun 2009

He's done from what I saw of him last year.
                  If he does play it will be as a stop gap for a contender. He doesn't fit for the Bills at this point for what they are doing. They are cutting all of our older players now, except for Scott.

Comment

• ServoBillieves
                    The Voice of Reason
                    • Jul 2007

Originally posted by k-oneputt View Post
                    He's done from what I saw of him last year.
                    If he does play it will be as a stop gap for a contender. He doesn't fit for the Bills at this point for what they are doing. They are cutting all of our older players now, except for Scott.
                    You saw something from SD last year? That's impressive. Honestly though that being said the guy fills the locker room leader that Kelsay apparently held. Kelsay's hand holding candle light vigils can be easily upgraded by Takeo's "WHO PUT ON COUNTRY MUSIC IN THE WEIGHT ROOM BECAUSE IMMA KILL THEM" attitude.
                    Bye Bye Brady...

Comment

• EDS
                      • Jan 2003

An in-his-prime Takeo Spikes is exactly what the Bills defense needs.

Comment

• The King
                        Without me it's just Awe so
                        • Jun 2004

I bet BAL comes calling.
                        I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?"
                        "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet.
                        You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times."
                        It was all
                        true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach.
                        He sees something in me, some kind of raw talent that he can
                        mold. But that's when I felt the handcuffs go on.

Comment

• stuckincincy
                          Buffalo Bills Fan
                          • Sep 2003

Best of luck to him. He was a class act while at CIN - fans here were happy for him when he escaped Mike Brown's lunatic asylum. An aside: He and fellow LB Brian Simmons were both drafted in the 1st by CIN, in 1998 (Spikes #13, Simmons #17).
                          Fiat justitia ruat caelum. Noli timere. Laus Deo.

Comment

• k-oneputt
                            • Jun 2009

Originally posted by ServoBillieves View Post
                            You saw something from SD last year? That's impressive. Honestly though that being said the guy fills the locker room leader that Kelsay apparently held. Kelsay's hand holding candle light vigils can be easily upgraded by Takeo's "WHO PUT ON COUNTRY MUSIC IN THE WEIGHT ROOM BECAUSE IMMA KILL THEM" attitude.
                            Beleive it or not I watch more games then just the Bills.
                            Locker room leader will come from one of the up and coming younger players.
                            The torch has been passed.
                            I would guess Wood, Byrd, Freddie is still here, hopefully the new qb drafted eventually.

Comment

• trapezeus
                              Legendary Zoner
                              • Oct 2004

patrick ewing syndrome from Bill Simmon's Sportsguy's article. A great player who brings teams down for some reason.

SD should have been his move to get to play with a decent team and get to playoffs. and they failed to make it with him, i think.

i liked him, and i definitely see the ravens taking him and it being a good fit of leadership lost by lewis, and not needing him to play every down.

Comment

Working...
                              X