PDA

View Full Version : Levitre vs Rhinehart, from a team shooping for guards

YardRat
03-08-2013, 06:25 AM
http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2013/03/detroit_lions_2013_free_agency_2.html

Free agency offers several options, including Levitre. The Buffalo guard is expected to be one of the most sought-after players on the market and could command between $6-8 million per season. He's an outstanding pass protector, which is a necessity to play in Detroit's pass-happy offense. His run blocking, on the other hand, is considered average.

One player with a tremendous upside is Rinehart, also out of Buffalo. He's coming off an ankle injury that cost him a good portion of the 2012 season, but the 321-pound mauler was a revelation in 2011, performing at a high level in 12 starts.

Cali512
03-08-2013, 12:06 PM
http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2013/03/detroit_lions_2013_free_agency_2.html

Free agency offers several options, including Levitre. The Buffalo guard is expected to be one of the most sought-after players on the market and could command between $6-8 million per season. He's an outstanding pass protector, which is a necessity to play in Detroit's pass-happy offense. His run blocking, on the other hand, is considered average.

One player with a tremendous upside is Rinehart, also out of Buffalo. He's coming off an ankle injury that cost him a good portion of the 2012 season, but the 321-pound mauler was a revelation in 2011, performing at a high level in 12 starts.

Keep Rhinehart, let Levitre go. On any team, G is the easiest to cover up. Mainly because they usually will get most of the help from the center leaving Urbik to fend for himself, which hes a monster so im ok with. I doubt Rhinehart would cost our team next season, or even any games, so im happy with him. If he struggles, next year get someone else. Hopefully most of our needs will be taken care of with not having to worry bout Levitre

Don't Panic
03-08-2013, 12:13 PM
You set a ceiling for what a Guard should make, determine if that number is worth offering to Levitre, and then either do or do not make the offer. Pretty simple. I guess we find out in a few days.

Rinehart should be given a chance along with a 3rd or 4th rounder to compete for the spot if Levitre is gone. Agreed that Guard is the easiest position top cover up.

Cali512
03-08-2013, 12:50 PM
You set a ceiling for what a Guard should make, determine if that number is worth offering to Levitre, and then either do or do not make the offer. Pretty simple. I guess we find out in a few days.

Rinehart should be given a chance along with a 3rd or 4th rounder to compete for the spot if Levitre is gone. Agreed that Guard is the easiest position top cover up.

Its harder than that. They also have to make sure that they use that 6-8 million on someone thats equal or greater to Levitres teir. Its not just money, its also whether we would rather spend that money on him or were 100% sure we can get at least a B FA. We cant just let a great player walk unless we do know his money will be spent. In my opinion, if we sign 2 C tier FAs with that 6 million, its a waste. That money needs to be used for a great impact player.

YardRat
03-08-2013, 12:52 PM
I'm more edgy about losing both, than I am losing Levitre. Would like to get at least one of them under wraps sooner rather than later.

TigerJ
03-08-2013, 01:09 PM
I think it's obvious that Rinehart will come cheaper than Levitre. I would be comfortable with Rinehart starting. I don't think Fitzpaatrick felt any more pressure from the pass rush when he was in there. So, if the Bills think they will only manage to re-sign one of them, maybe for cap reasons it should be Rinehart. I think there is also a youngster that the Bills like in Keith Williams, who is huge. The Bills may draft a guard for depth/competition if Levitre leaves the fold, but they may not even have to.

EDS
03-08-2013, 01:41 PM
Levitre is/was the Bills best lineman. But sure, there will be no dropoff with Rinehart . . .

Buddo
03-08-2013, 03:45 PM
Levitre is/was the Bills best lineman. But sure, there will be no dropoff with Rinehart . . .

There will be, but in pass protection only. Rinehart is a better run blocker. With the Bills current QB situation, and where the talent lies offensively, I would think that for us, the run blocking might matter more.

EDS
03-08-2013, 06:39 PM
There will be, but in pass protection only. Rinehart is a better run blocker. With the Bills current QB situation, and where the talent lies offensively, I would think that for us, the run blocking might matter more.

Was there a problem with the run blocking this past season?

YardRat
03-08-2013, 06:50 PM
Was there a problem with the run blocking this past season?

Yeah, the short yardage and goal line sucked. This oline does OK with space, but getting push man on man is a definite weakness.