PDA

View Full Version : Nelson thinks Bills cut him due to injury

YardRat
03-08-2013, 06:29 AM
http://www.buffalonews.com/20130308/Nelson_thinks_Bills_cut_him_due_to_injury.html

David Nelson doesn’t know for certain why the Buffalo Bills decided to let him hit free agency.

The Bills might’ve wished the fourth-year receiver luck because he won’t fit in new head coach Doug Marrone’s system or because the $1.323 million qualifying offer was more than they wanted to commit.

Nelson, though, is convinced it’s because of the season-ending torn knee ligament he suffered on opening day.

“It’s tough for me because I feel in my heart – and this is just me – the only reason it’s happening is because of the injury,” Nelson told The Buffalo News in his first interview since the Bills informed him of their decision.

“I feel if I was able to play last year, things would be different 100 percent. For me that’s the reason why; they’re not sure if I’ll be the same player I’ve been.”
The Bills declined comment.

justasportsfan
03-08-2013, 06:52 AM
I wish him all the luck. Played hard and was very engaging with fans at camp.

better days
03-08-2013, 06:54 AM
Nelson is probably right. Can't say I blame the Bills however, he may not be the same player he was.

Skooby
03-08-2013, 06:56 AM
Well duh /.

Night Train
03-08-2013, 08:18 AM
Bills are thinking of putting SJ in the slot, once they finish the off-season. That's why they cut him.

Buddo
03-08-2013, 10:18 AM
Bills are thinking of putting SJ in the slot, once they finish the off-season. That's why they cut him.

Irrespective of that, I still can't say I believe in the move to cut Nelson.
The guy was productive, and made more than his fair share of chain-moving receptions.
Even if Stevie does go to the slot, Nelson could have been a decent backup, and he wasn't ever going to be that expensive.

Still, 'what's done, is done', although I do feel that Nelson probably deserved some sort of 'exit interview'. Hopefully he doesn't come back for somebody else and haunt us.

DraftBoy
03-08-2013, 10:27 AM
Or its because he's got TE height without TE bulk and doesn't have the athleticism to really do much else. He's a nice big target but why keep him over an uber athletic TE who could be even more dangerous?

The theme of Marrone's team is going to be versatility. If you can only play inside or only play outside you likely will not have a place on this roster.

psubills62
03-08-2013, 11:06 AM
Or its because he's got TE height without TE bulk and doesn't have the athleticism to really do much else.
Pretty much this. Too much of a tweener with no true position.

Buddo
03-08-2013, 11:58 AM
Or its because he's got TE height without TE bulk and doesn't have the athleticism to really do much else. He's a nice big target but why keep him over an uber athletic TE who could be even more dangerous?

The theme of Marrone's team is going to be versatility. If you can only play inside or only play outside you likely will not have a place on this roster.

I'm interested to know who the 'uber athletic TE' is, that we have got on the roster, as his name escapes me...

I can accept the versatility part, but see little reason to necessarily part ways with Nelson without something better on the roster already. While he is by no means the best WR around, he has certainly been productive for the Bills, when through the same time period, it's only Stevie who has produced more, and more consistently, of our previous WR group.

better days
03-08-2013, 12:09 PM
I'm interested to know who the 'uber athletic TE' is, that we have got on the roster, as his name escapes me...

I can accept the versatility part, but see little reason to necessarily part ways with Nelson without something better on the roster already. While he is by no means the best WR around, he has certainly been productive for the Bills, when through the same time period, it's only Stevie who has produced more, and more consistently, of our previous WR group.

It would have cost $1.3 Million to retain Nelson with the tag. That is too much money to tie up in him.

The King
03-08-2013, 12:17 PM
I added a poll to this, to get peoples feedback.

justasportsfan
03-08-2013, 12:18 PM

does this mean Chandler's days are numbered since he's not very athletic?

The King
03-08-2013, 12:20 PM
Chandler is basically a red zone option exclusively.

better days
03-08-2013, 12:59 PM
Chandler is basically a red zone option exclusively.

Not really. I remember him picking up first downs up & down the field. He is not going to lumber 40-50 yds & get in the endzone, but he has good hands & is a good target to pick up a 3rd down anytime.

YardRat
03-08-2013, 01:22 PM
Technically speaking, he wasn't 'cut'.

ZAZusmc03
03-08-2013, 02:29 PM
I hate to see him go, I'm a big fan of his and think he's a great guy. BUT, if he doesn't fit Marrone's offensive scheme, then I understand. I just don't like the idea of letting our most reliable handed receiver go.