PDA

View Full Version : NHL still deciding on Olympics

DetDannyWilliams
03-09-2013, 01:41 PM
Will there be NHL players at the Sochi Olympics when the games begin less than a year from now?After the NHL's second lockout in less than 10 years, its fans have been so thrilled to get their games back — TV ratings are up, up, up across the board — that most simply assumed the league would continue its participation in the games. Not so fast. The league met with the International Olympic Committee and International Ice Hockey Federation members some two weeks ago, and the best thing that can be said about the talks is that all parties have described them as "ongoing."

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nhl/2013/03/04/column-will-nhl-be-a-no-show-at-sochi-olympics/1963531/

I hope the NHL doesn't go to Sochi, first the games will be played at the earliest 3:00am and the latest 5:00am who the heck gets up that early anyways. Second we already lost games off the schedule this season because of the lockout and now if they go there's more missed games next season.

OpIv37
03-09-2013, 01:44 PM
They didn't miss games last Olympics. They just skipped the all star break and went a week or so later than usual.

But I think the NHL is stupid to skip the Olympics. The USA-Canada final last time did wonders for people's interest in hockey. Unfortunately Bettman is too dumb to see it. I don't know how this asshat still has a job.

mightysimi
03-10-2013, 07:59 PM
It will happen. The hold up is the NHL wanting to get highlights and such which in the past IIHF has not done. The NHL's argument is just that, it's on at 3 am here. If the goal for the NHL is to grow their brand, why would they want a game that no one watches. I think ultimately it will come to some sort of agreement. There is too much at stake.