PDA

View Full Version : Free agent that I'd rather have...

X-Era
03-10-2013, 11:02 AM
Personally, I can think of a few examples where I would rather have a cheaper player or even one who most don't think is as good:

I'd rather have:

1) Greg Jennings over Mike Wallace- Wallace seems like he's less durable and maybe less of a threat in traffic. Like he's more of a vertical guy. I'd like a guy who's more well rounded even at the expense of deep speed. Jennings would be a top target for me.

2) James Harrison over Justin Durant- I want solid, proven LB'ers. I'd be willing to sacrifice youth for attitude and experience. We have enough youth and I want to add more through the draft. I'd go after someone like Harrison over someone like Durant.

3) Jon Vilma over Dannell Ellerbe- Many for the reasons in #2. But again I want a solid LB'er corp that can be counted on to add leadership and solid play. Even at the expense of youth.

4) LaRon Landry over Dashon Gholdson- I want a guy who is really good in run support. Even at the expense of some ability in coverage. Landry is the type of run stuffer that I'd really like us to have. Whether it's at the LB spot or the SS spot I want to make way more stops near the LOS. Gholdson is no slouch but I like Landry's upside and think he may just continue upward and become one of the top 10 SS's in the league. And i think his price will be significantly less that Gholdson's as well.

5) Dustin Keller over Jared Cook- I have always been a Jared Cook fan but I think Keller is very good as a receiving threat and more productive at this point. I also think he may come cheaper.

Who's on your list of rather have's?

TacklingDummy
03-10-2013, 11:11 AM
Peyton Manning over Mario Williams

X-Era
03-10-2013, 11:20 AM
Peyton Manning over Mario Williams
Neither are free agents... LOL.

GreedoII
03-10-2013, 11:23 AM
Old over young. yeah brilliant

YardRat
03-10-2013, 11:53 AM
1) Ramses Barden or Louis Murphy over Greg Jennings or Mike Wallace-younger, less expensive, potentially more upside for a #1 or #2.

2) Paul Kruger over James Harrison or Justin Durant-a playmaker we need at DE/LBer/Edge rusher.

3) A rookie draft pick (Bostic, Johnson) over Jon Vilma or Dannell Ellerbe- Would rather spend FA money on CB or DE. I could live with Bradham/Bostic/Kruger.

4) LaRon Landry over Dashon Gholdson- I could deal with Landry...he's familiar with Pettine's system, solid in run support, but his inability to stay on the field would scare me away from a big contract.

clumping platelets
03-10-2013, 12:43 PM
DT DeVito over keeping DT Troup

BuffaloBlakely14
03-10-2013, 01:17 PM
DT DeVito over keeping DT Troup

Without a doubt

1. Vasquez over Levitre'
2. Alexander, Gibson or Barden (preferrably two of those guys) over Jenningsn or Wallace
3. Landry over Goldson
4. Brad Jones over Ellerbe

IlluminatusUIUC
03-10-2013, 02:56 PM
Personally, I can think of a few examples where I would rather have a cheaper player or even one who most don't think is as good:

I'd rather have:

1) Greg Jennings over Mike Wallace- Wallace seems like he's less durable and maybe less of a threat in traffic. Like he's more of a vertical guy. I'd like a guy who's more well rounded even at the expense of deep speed. Jennings would be a top target for me.

Jennings is pretty damn durable

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1P0yfq2wDvU

The Jokeman
03-10-2013, 02:59 PM
Jennings is pretty damn durable

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1P0yfq2wDvU

Is that Ray Lewis doing the commentary?

The Jokeman
03-10-2013, 03:01 PM
I'd rather have Dustin Keller above all the other free agents out there regardless of postion. As he's arguable the most reliable target Mark Sanchez had so to lose him costs the team a lot. Not to mention I think he fits in well with the WCO type offense we could be seeing from the Bills this year.

X-Era
03-10-2013, 04:33 PM
I'd rather have Dustin Keller above all the other free agents out there regardless of postion. As he's arguable the most reliable target Mark Sanchez had so to lose him costs the team a lot. Not to mention I think he fits in well with the WCO type offense we could be seeing from the Bills this year.
Forgot about him. Let me update...

BillsFever21
03-10-2013, 05:54 PM

I'd rather have:

2) James Harrison over Justin Durant- I want solid, proven LB'ers. I'd be willing to sacrifice youth for attitude and experience. We have enough youth and I want to add more through the draft. I'd go after someone like Harrison over someone like Durant.

3) Jon Vilma over Dannell Ellerbe- Many for the reasons in #2. But again I want a solid LB'er corp that can be counted on to add leadership and solid play. Even at the expense of youth.

4) LaRon Landry over Dashon Gholdson- I want a guy who is really good in run support. Even at the expense of some ability in coverage. Landry is the type of run stuffer that I'd really like us to have. Whether it's at the LB spot or the SS spot I want to make way more stops near the LOS. Gholdson is no slouch but I like Landry's upside and think he may just continue upward and become one of the top 10 SS's in the league. And i think his price will be significantly less that Gholdson's as well.

5) Dustin Keller over Jared Cook- I have always been a Jared Cook fan but I think Keller is very good as a receiving threat and more productive at this point. I also think he may come cheaper.

Who's on your list of rather have's?

Age and experience works if you're already a talented young team that needs some veteran experience to try and get you over the hump and for the younger players to learn from. As far as the Bills go that's not the case. We're a young untalented team still trying 13 years later to build a talented team in the first place.

I would take a healthy Gregg Jennings over Mike Wallace anytime. He's more reliable and a better team player. Jennings has been a great player in the NFL and has proven more then Wallace in his career. If it wasn't for injury issues towards the end of 2011 and then last year Jennings would command as much on average as Wallace. Wallace would get a longer term deal because he is 3 years younger but not just based off production. Jennings will still command a pretty good payday.

As far as James Harrison goes I wouldn't touch him unless it was about a two year deal at a lowered salary or mostly based off incentives. At the most Harrison might have a couple years left in the tank and he would be useless for the long term on our team. He's not the same player now and it will only decline plus we're not even close to being a contending team. We actually need to build a team first.

If you're already a good contending team that's looking for a past proven veteran to help get you over the top during your window of opportunity then Harrison would be a good fit. Either that or an already talented young who is already playoff contenders that could use some veteran leadership for a year or two while they develop somebody long term for the position. He would be useless on a bad team that isn't going anywhere in the next couple years and that money could be used in better areas. He wouldn't even be around when/if we turned it around and had a chance to be just a playoff contender.

Pinkerton Security
03-11-2013, 07:35 AM
Is this the same "more durable" Greg Jennings who missed 11 games in the last 2 seasons? I do agree with Jennings being more well-rounded, but I am worried about Jennings age and recent injuries.

jamze132
03-11-2013, 09:30 AM
Not sure if I would consider missing 11/32 games "durable". LMAO

justasportsfan
03-11-2013, 09:40 AM

You are actually losing experience by going with Vilma in terms of familiarity of Pettines system. Vilma may need another year learning a new system .

In terms of being proven, Ellerbe has already proven he can play well in Pettines system while we don't know if Vilma will be able to make the adjustment and thrive.

IlluminatusUIUC
03-11-2013, 11:10 AM
You are actually losing experience by going with Vilma in terms of familiarity of Pettines system. Vilma may need another year learning a new system .

In terms of being proven, Ellerbe has already proven he can play well in Pettines system while we don't know if Vilma will be able to make the adjustment and thrive.

What do you mean? Pettine never coached Ellerbe.

justasportsfan
03-11-2013, 01:54 PM
What do you mean? Pettine never coached Ellerbe.

Pettine pretty much runs the same system the ravens does or is at least familiar with it.

justasportsfan
03-11-2013, 02:15 PM
Pettine pretty much runs the same system the ravens does or is at least familiar with it.

I meant Ellerbe having played behind Ray Lewis should be familiar with the multiple front system that Pettine runs since he coached Lewis at balt.

IlluminatusUIUC
03-11-2013, 02:18 PM
I meant Ellerbe having played behind Ray Lewis should be familiar with the multiple front system that Pettine runs since he coached Lewis at balt.

Did Pettine even coach Lewis? He was listed as the outside linebackers coach in Baltimore and Ellerbe and Lewis were inside backers. I'm not denying Ellerbe would be a better pickup than Vilma, I'm just thinking the connection between the two systems is not really significant.

justasportsfan
03-11-2013, 02:22 PM
Did Pettine even coach Lewis? He was listed as the outside linebackers coach in Baltimore and Ellerbe and Lewis were inside backers. I'm not denying Ellerbe would be a better pickup than Vilma, I'm just thinking the connection between the two systems is not really significant.

I could be wrong but I've read that the ravens run the same system which is why a lot of people seem to think he'd be a good fit in Pettines system.

:idunno:

Not only is his most recent postseason performance rather enticing, but so is his potential ability to fit right in to Mike Pettine's defense right away. The Bills defensive coordinator first started in Baltimore before heading up the New York Jets' defense for the past four seasons. Both teams are well-versed in their multiple front looks, making Ellerbe an ideal fit.

http://www.wgr550.com/pages/15718182.php?contentType=4&contentId=12545813

Michael82
03-11-2013, 05:07 PM
Danario Alexander over Brandon Gibson

I cant believe the Chargers put the minimum tender on him. I'd sign him to an offer sheet on day 1 of free agency.