PDA

View Full Version : Levitre - and playing all 3 line positions

stuckincincy
03-10-2013, 11:31 AM
IIRC, he has played G, T and C. An OL that is at least adequate at all 3 spots can potentially save a roster spot. Perhaps that's a reason for speculation about his contract cost, and interest from other clubs.

YardRat
03-10-2013, 11:42 AM
He was a train wreck at OT and C.

IlluminatusUIUC
03-10-2013, 11:58 AM
He wasn't horrendous at LT, but he was nothing more than a stopgap. At C however, ughhhhhh

ParanoidAndroid
03-10-2013, 11:58 AM
Especially at Center. Egads!

stuckincincy
03-10-2013, 12:09 PM
Once outside of the context of BUF's particular kind(s) of offense scheme(s) the past few seasons - can he fundamentally play C or T for his next club?

OpIv37
03-10-2013, 12:12 PM
Once outside of the context of BUF's particular kind(s) of offense scheme(s) the past few seasons - can he fundamentally play C or T for his next club?

Um, no. He was brutal at both. I suppose there is some chance he could be molded into a T but I don't know why a team would bother when he's so good at G. And the guy is not a C in the NFL. Period.

ServoBillieves
03-10-2013, 12:42 PM
When he doesn't re-sign here we won't talk about him anymore correct?

stuckincincy
03-10-2013, 01:28 PM
Um, no. He was brutal at both. I suppose there is some chance he could be molded into a T but I don't know why a team would bother when he's so good at G. And the guy is not a C in the NFL. Period.

Considering the money bandied about if he tests the market - could he be a diamond that finally gets out of the BUF club way of staffing and running an offense?

I see posters talking about run emphasis, and his "deficiencies" thereof...which flies in the the face of the NFL's efforts to juice up the pass game via their spate of rule changes the past several years. How much does it matter to be dubbed be so-so in run blocking - vs. superior pass blocking...these days?

If the club (and fans) think that building a "run" line is gonna get them into the playoffs, well, that was the big buzz back when they emptied the bank for Dockery and Walker. And there is a ton of film on Spiller now, and how BUF operated to make run space for him.

Meathead
03-10-2013, 10:21 PM
levitre at c was kelsay at olb

coastal
03-11-2013, 06:38 AM
And DE

DraftBoy
03-11-2013, 06:43 AM
Yes and Brad Smith once played QB...

OpIv37
03-11-2013, 08:56 AM
What it comes down to is that Levitre was never really well suited to play T or C. The Bills just had such piss-poor OL depth that one injury resulted in shifting the whole line around and putting Levitre at T or C was a better option than actually using the backups.

Levitre didn't play those positions because of skill. He played them be aide poor management by the Bills gave the team no other choice.

And paying a guy who is successful at one position and immediately moving him to a different position is a stupid thing to do. Buffalo has tried it multiple times with draft picks with very little success.

trapezeus
03-11-2013, 09:20 AM
regardless of what positions he played, he was good at guard for the bills and unquestionably in the line up playing at a level we expected him.

Only the bills would decide that isn't good enough but then decide to resign a punt returner on a defense that can't get teams to punt!

Then what makes it all the more damning is that they are willing to say, "you have a shot to be a starter."

we drafted aaron williams instead of colin kaepernick because of leodis not being a starter. and now aaron williams sucks so badly, we decided to go back. Which is excellent because the guy who sucked at picking both of these guys is still on this team that has undergone "Change".

The bills will be lucky to be a 3-13 team next year. LUCKY!

jamze132
03-11-2013, 09:23 AM
Yeah, Levitre was great at LT and C if you're on a 6-10 team.

justasportsfan
03-11-2013, 10:38 AM
The bills will be lucky to be a 3-13 team next year. LUCKY!

While we may not have any clue as to how the players will be able to adjust offensively, I doubt the defense will be as bad as they were last year with Wanny as DC considering the DL we had.

trapezeus
03-11-2013, 11:11 AM
While we may not have any clue as to how the players will be able to adjust offensively, I doubt the defense will be as bad as they were last year with Wanny as DC considering the DL we had.

not arguing with you, but every time the words "we can't be as bad as last year because we hit bottom" or "we can't be any worse" the bills just find a way. in fact, i look forward to it.

this team will never bottom out. it will always get worse. when ther eis a decision to be made, they'll get it wrong. when they've played like crap and need to just stay like that, they'll get better. when they've started out hot and just need to play near 500 ball to be near the playoffs, they'll fall apart. they need to make a change, they fire the coach but keep all the other morons.

The way this is shaping up right now, i'd have rather had another year with gailey with one of these rookie qbs than this total rebuild under a coach who's never done in in the NFL with his coordinators who have never called the plays. and they are getting players provided to them from a front office that just canned most of their selections over the last 4 years, but signed the worst ones.

How in god's name can it get any better? Change their name to the Buffalo wankers with a Cleveland Indians Inspired logo but with Russ's face on it? and colors changed to pink and orange?

they are the scab that won't heal, giving you pleasure to pick at it for the rest of your life. causing you pain and scarring but temporary joy.

DraftBoy
03-11-2013, 12:14 PM
What it comes down to is that Levitre was never really well suited to play T or C. The Bills just had such piss-poor OL depth that one injury resulted in shifting the whole line around and putting Levitre at T or C was a better option than actually using the backups.

Levitre didn't play those positions because of skill. He played them be aide poor management by the Bills gave the team no other choice.

And paying a guy who is successful at one position and immediately moving him to a different position is a stupid thing to do. Buffalo has tried it multiple times with draft picks with very little success.

That's not entirely true. Levitre was a very good LT at Oregon State before his injury, I think he was a multi-year All Conference OT in a conference that produces good OT's. His injury slowed him and forced him inside. The Bills thought maybe after so much time from his injury he could regain some of his athleticism, they were wrong.