PDA

View Full Version : Polian: free agents changing systems tricky

jpdex12
03-11-2013, 08:59 AM
http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2013/03/11/polian-free-agents-changing-systems-tricky/

This article makes me wonder that since Marrone brought in so many SU coaches if he will follow suit and go hard after Nassib...that being said, I really wouldn't be surprised to see us grab Nassib with the #8 pick just to make sure they get him.

OpIv37
03-11-2013, 09:06 AM
Taking Nassib at 8 would be dumb. It leaves too many other players at positions of need still on the board for the sake of gambling on a QB.

I hope we can grab him in the 2nd, but taking him at 8 just wreaks of desperation.

better days
03-11-2013, 09:11 AM
Taking Nassib at 8 would be dumb. It leaves too many other players at positions of need still on the board for the sake of gambling on a QB.

I hope we can grab him in the 2nd, but taking him at 8 just wreaks of desperation.

If Marrone & Nix are SOLD on Nassib, they may take him at #8 rather than gamble that the Jets won't take him at #9. I know the Jets are interested in him & they can cut Sanchez next year so it would make sense to bring in a QB this year for them.

don137
03-11-2013, 09:20 AM
I would be shocked if Nassib goes in the first round. I know QBs go a round earlier than their value however, Nassib has done nothing to stand above the other QBs to warrant a first round selection. I personally think he will be taken in round three.

jamze132
03-11-2013, 09:24 AM
If we take a QB other than Geno Smith at #8, I'm going to start my annual "punch a baby" thread.

Buddo
03-11-2013, 09:40 AM
http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2013/03/11/polian-free-agents-changing-systems-tricky/

This article makes me wonder that since Marrone brought in so many SU coaches if he will follow suit and go hard after Nassib...that being said, I really wouldn't be surprised to see us grab Nassib with the #8 pick just to make sure they get him.

I think it's irrelevant to taking any QB in the first couple of rounds. The NFL and its requirements for success, are actually a lot different to college ball, and any rookie QB will be expected to learn a new system regardless. Marrone won't be using the same offense he had at Syracuse, for starters.

Its relevancy is to FAs who you bring in. Guys who are familiar with a system are going to be successful, sooner.
Polian isn't saying anything that shouldn't be pretty self-evident, as you look at guys around the NFL, who change teams. While people all expect vets to just slot in and perform , it tends to be the better players who have the ability to do so, unless they have system familiarity.
It's probably also easier for some position groups than others, in terms of adapting.
I'd say also, that the better coaches, will get their new FAs up to speed, or have things worked out to suit them, a lot quicker than others.

OpIv37
03-11-2013, 09:58 AM
If Marrone & Nix are SOLD on Nassib, they may take him at #8 rather than gamble that the Jets won't take him at #9. I know the Jets are interested in him & they can cut Sanchez next year so it would make sense to bring in a QB this year for them.

Well they better be pretty damn sure if they do that. If he turns out to be a good QB, in two years no one will care that he was overdrafted. If he doesn't turn out to be good, then we have an historic deaf flop and Nix and Marrone will look like idiots. It won't be Jamarcus Russell bad but it'll be another Ted Ginn Jr moment.

ServoBillieves
03-11-2013, 10:29 AM
Well they better be pretty damn sure if they do that. If he turns out to be a good QB, in two years no one will care that he was overdrafted. If he doesn't turn out to be good, then we have an historic deaf flop and Nix and Marrone will look like idiots. It won't be Jamarcus Russell bad but it'll be another Ted Ginn Jr moment.

Even though it was the Fish, I still cringe when I see footage of when Ginn was drafted...

jpdex12
03-11-2013, 10:47 AM

I hear that and I think most of us would agree. Getting him in Round 2 would be ideal but I don't think it's going to happen. I think there will be other teams jumping back into the bottom of Round 1 for a couple of these QBs. Our best scenario is if one of those top LTs are still on the board and some team decides to trade with us to get him and we move back a bit but then you still run the risk of losing Nassib to the Jets if we are set on going after him. This brings up the mindset of if you want someone bad enough you get him when you can just like the Vikings and Titans did with Ponder and Rotator Cuff boy...and just like the Jets did with Sanchez before that. I would much rather see us grab someone like Ogletree at #8 and Nassib in Round 2 but I'm preparing for us to go after our QB with #8. The only scenario that will trump this is if OBD thinks that there are two QBs like Nassib and Wilson who are the type QB they want and they gamble that one is left to get in Round 2.

IlluminatusUIUC
03-11-2013, 10:54 AM
I don't think any other team is nearly as high on Nassib as the Bills would be. I am very confident he would be there in round 2.

jpdex12
03-11-2013, 11:00 AM
Devil's advocate, if he is the QB you want can you gamble and wait until Round 2 or will he be gone by then and you are left with *****hook Fitz and Jackson?

Mr. Miyagi
03-11-2013, 11:03 AM
Oldie but goodie

http://youtu.be/RaYgGSHJ5hM

OpIv37
03-11-2013, 11:08 AM
Devil's advocate, if he is the QB you want can you gamble and wait until Round 2 or will he be gone by then and you are left with *****hook Fitz and Jackson?

That just wreaks of either desperation or a Donahoe-esque "I'm going to use nest year's first round draft choice on JP Losman because I'm smarter than everyone who is saying that its a dumb idea" decision.

Mr. Miyagi
03-11-2013, 11:09 AM
I really doubt the Vikings will take a QB in the first 2 rounds but point well taken about if we want someone then let's not risk it and just take him at #8.

Hard to imagine Nassib being the first QB taken though, not that I like Geno Smith that much.

OpIv37
03-11-2013, 11:10 AM
Oldie but goodie

The best part of that clip is when they go back to the ESPN talking heads and one of them says "what do fans know?"

Yup, those highly paid NFL scouts and GM's sure showed up the fans on that one.

OpIv37
03-11-2013, 11:12 AM
I really doubt the Vikings will take a QB in the first 2 rounds but point well taken about if we want someone then let's not risk it and just take him at #8.

Hard to imagine Nassib being the first QB taken though, not that I like Geno Smith that much.

I can't see Nassib going before Smith or Barkley. I don't particularly like Barkley but he's higher profile and has accomplished more.

Cali512
03-11-2013, 11:25 AM
My top 3 QBs are

1. Geno
2. Nassib
3. Wilson

Barkely shouldnt be on any sane persons draft board. Hes this years Gabbert/Ponder/Clausen ect

Nassib has something about him. When i look at him, his confidence and his swag is evident. Seems like nothing bothers him and his arm is really good. Under a set system possibly like Alex Smith in Sf, we could do really well

Geno just plain and simple is the safest prospect at QB

Wilson i do not like much, but people keep making Kelly comparisons about his toughness and leadership. Which makes me like him, but 8 inch hands suck

justasportsfan
03-11-2013, 11:31 AM
Oldie but goodie

I remember that draft day! We had the BZ draft party here in rochester and when Mikey82 and Dozer asked me who I thought the fins would take I said Ted Ginn. They were like " who?" Boom !!! Right on the money. Lol!

OpIv37
03-11-2013, 11:42 AM
My top 3 QBs are

1. Geno
2. Nassib
3. Wilson

Barkely shouldnt be on any sane persons draft board. Hes this years Gabbert/Ponder/Clausen ect

Nassib has something about him. When i look at him, his confidence and his swag is evident. Seems like nothing bothers him and his arm is really good. Under a set system possibly like Alex Smith in Sf, we could do really well

Geno just plain and simple is the safest prospect at QB

Wilson i do not like much, but people keep making Kelly comparisons about his toughness and leadership. Which makes me like him, but 8 inch hands suck

I personally agree on Barkley- I just don't think a lot of scouts and teams see it that way.

jimmifli
03-11-2013, 02:33 PM
If we take a QB other than Geno Smith at #8, I'm going to start my annual "punch a baby" thread.
Is that like my "**** in a jar thread"?

better days
03-11-2013, 02:52 PM

Polian is saying the same thing in this article that I have been saying about Levitre. He has much more value to the Bills than he would to any other team.

Joe Fo Sho
03-11-2013, 02:58 PM
Oldie but goodie

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZxNeFLuY98

This one is just as good.