View Full Version : Glazer: Harvin traded to Seahawks

IlluminatusUIUC
03-11-2013, 12:20 PM
https://twitter.com/JayGlazer/status/311160128743280640

Jesus that team is scary.

kingJofNYC
03-11-2013, 12:22 PM
Home grown team too for the most part.

Remember someone, might have been X-Era, arguing with me about Bills vs Seahawks and who did a better job drafting. Not even close, that team nailed it in the mid rounds multiple times.

IlluminatusUIUC
03-11-2013, 12:28 PM
]Home grown team too for the most part.[/B]

Remember someone, might have been X-Era, arguing with me about Bills vs Seahawks and who did a better job drafting. Not even close, that team nailed it in the mid rounds multiple times.

On the defense maybe, but their top 2 wideouts, top TE, backup QB (who was intended to start), half their oline and 3/4 of their HBs came from trades or FA.

DraftBoy
03-11-2013, 12:29 PM
1st and 7th in 2013 plus a mid-rounder in 2014.

fluteflakes
03-11-2013, 12:30 PM
Every pick they've made has hit with the exception of Carpenter. That team is scary good. My god.

Still, would have pulled the trigger on Cruz instead. Worth much less money, know you're getting a 16 game player.

kingJofNYC
03-11-2013, 12:32 PM
On the defense maybe, but their top 2 wideouts, top TE, backup QB (who was intended to start), half their oline and 3/4 of their HBs came from trades or FA.

They drafted their LT, C, and RT (who was hurt most of the year) though I think they moved him to G. 3/5ths of that OL is home grown.

Basically took Minnesota's WRs, but for the most part that's a home grown team. That's how you do it. Build through the draft and fill in spots via FA or trades.

This is why we're still in the same hole, Buddy can't draft after the first round.

better days
03-11-2013, 12:36 PM
Home grown team too for the most part.

IMO the Seahawks do a better job at TRADING.

Mouldsie
03-11-2013, 12:37 PM
Gonna be a pretty explosive offense.

- - - Updated - - -

At what point do we discuss player DEVELOPMENT?

Mahdi
03-11-2013, 12:40 PM
Read option with Percy Harvin and Russel Wilson?

Good thing SF and Sea are NFC teams... Amazing how the balance of power shifts so easily. Wasn't long ago that the NFC west was a joke.

And also sad that throughout all these power shifts Buffalo has remained powerless.

sukie
03-11-2013, 12:43 PM
Something has to be said for consistancy from Buffalo and New England

The King
03-11-2013, 12:44 PM
This is where Pete Carroll gets his finger prints all over the team and things get messy... just watch what happens.

Mr. Pink
03-11-2013, 12:47 PM
Bad trade for the Hawks.

IlluminatusUIUC
03-11-2013, 12:47 PM
They drafted their LT, C, and RT (who was hurt most of the year) though I think they moved him to G. 3/5ths of that OL is home grown.

Basically took Minnesota's WRs, but for the most part that's a home grown team. That's how you do it. Build through the draft and fill in spots via FA or trades.

This is why we're still in the same hole, Buddy can't draft after the first round.

"For the most part"? If you take the traditional starters - 2 WR, 1 TE, 1 FB, 1 HB then all 5 were drafted by other clubs. Then you throw in two olinemen and you're up to 7/11 offensive starters brought in through FA or trades.

There's nothing inherently wrong with this team building - but if you're calling that a "home grown" team then what isn't a "home grown" team?

kingJofNYC
03-11-2013, 12:48 PM
This is where Pete Carroll gets his finger prints all over the team and things get messy... just watch what happens.

What does this even mean?

We've seen Carroll's fingerprints already. Carroll fleeced the Bills, has built a powerhouse D, and drafted a QB that may end up a star. Took a team that drafted in the top 6, same year Nix took over by the way, and he's turned them completely.

We're more likely to watch Carroll lift the Lombardi than some impending doom

Slim
03-11-2013, 12:49 PM
Hawks gave up a ****load. I like this trade for Vikings. They can get Keenan Allen plus another 7th this year and a mid-round next year.

Mahdi
03-11-2013, 12:50 PM
Bad trade for the Hawks.

How is it bad?

They are giving up a late first round pick for an elite WR who is still young. If that is the type of player they are looking for it is safer than throwing a first round pick at a guy like Tavon Austin, who while is very talented, is unproven.

I think it's a great move. There is risk there but good teams take risks when they have a strong supporting cast.

kingJofNYC
03-11-2013, 12:51 PM
"For the most part"? If you take the traditional starters - 2 WR, 1 TE, 1 FB, 1 HB then all 5 were drafted by other clubs. Then you throw in two olinemen and you're up to 7/11 offensive starters brought in through FA or trades.

There's nothing inherently wrong with this team building - but if you're calling that a "home grown" team then what isn't a "home grown" team?

Who cares if your FB is home grown? Not every player will be, you already agreed that the D outside of Clemon is homegrown, Branch wasn't drafted by them either.

My point is, you can't just go around listing every player that isn't home grown and use that to refute the obvious. They've drafted extremely well, the majority of the team is young and home grown. End of story. In today's NFL you won't have 54 guys that were all drafted by the same franchise, but I'm sure if we look at most of the key guys on that team, not backups/rational players, you'll find the majority are home grown.

Mahdi
03-11-2013, 12:52 PM
Hawks gave up a ****load. I like this trade for Vikings. They can get Keenan Allen plus another 7th this year and a mid-round next year.

Its also a good move for the Vikings because they get rid of a headache (literally) and get themselves a first round pick with which they can draft a very talented WR like Austin or Hopkins.

PTI
03-11-2013, 12:55 PM
THey very well may get John Abraham too, he has visited there.

IlluminatusUIUC
03-11-2013, 12:55 PM

The 7th rounder is like 8 picks from Mr. Irrelevant so that's basically nothing. It hinges on the midrounder. If it's a 3rd then it's too steep for me, but right in line with the Roy Williams deal. If it's a 4th or lower, then I'd say it was fair for both sides.

Seattle can get a lot out of him IMO. The last time Harvin had a legit QB he was one of the best slot WRs in the league.

Slim
03-11-2013, 12:56 PM
Its also a good move for the Vikings because they get rid of a headache (literally) and get themselves a first round pick with which they can draft a very talented WR like Austin or Hopkins.

Exactly.

Austin (or which ever WR they like), a 7th round pick this year, a mid round pick next year, and no more Harvin headache(pun intended). Vikings did very well.

Miami got two 3rd rounders for Brandon Marshall...

PTI
03-11-2013, 12:57 PM
Read option with Percy Harvin and Russel Wilson?

Good thing SF and Sea are NFC teams... Amazing how the balance of power shifts so easily. Wasn't long ago that the NFC west was a joke.

And also sad that throughout all these power shifts Buffalo has remained powerless.

4 more years until we have to play those teams all again!

kingJofNYC
03-11-2013, 12:59 PM
They have to pay Harvin, so that's one of the negatives, along with his migraines.

So you're giving up a 1st round pick, and rolling out the checkbook to sign him, you're committing a lot of assets to a guy who has a health issue.

That said, I'd do that deal if I were the Seahawks. They're not constrained by money like most clubs, and their core guys are young and signed to cheap deals, some of them will be up in the next couple of years however.

Your window isn't that big in the NFL, you have to go for it when you get a chance

IlluminatusUIUC
03-11-2013, 01:04 PM
Who cares if your FB is home grown? Not every player will be, you already agreed that the D outside of Clemon is homegrown, Branch wasn't drafted by them either.

My point is, you can't just go around listing every player that isn't home grown and use that to refute the obvious. They've drafted extremely well, the majority of the team is young and home grown. End of story. In today's NFL you won't have 54 guys that were all drafted by the same franchise, but I'm sure if we look at most of the key guys on that team, not backups/rational players, you'll find the majority are home grown.

The top wideouts, tight end, and halfback aren't "key guys"? I'm not saying they haven't drafted well, I'm saying using the term "home grown" to describe a team that's pulled more than half it's offense and nearly all the skill position players from elsewhere dilutes the term beyond all meaning. When I'm praising a team for being home grown, I'm thinking of teams like the Polian era Colts or the Cowher era Steelers. Look at the Colts' 2006 super bowl roster (http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/clt/2006_roster.htm). That's a whopping two starters on the whole team that were drafted by someone else. Even the UDFAs all began as Colts.

Mahdi
03-11-2013, 01:15 PM
Soo maybe we can all agree that although not a "Homegrown" team by the meaning of the word. They have drafted extremely well....

I think that solves it.

Kenny
03-11-2013, 01:22 PM
Great move for the Hawks.

As for the Vikings... seems like something the Bills would do. Draft and build up a star and then let them go.
The dispute between the Vikings and Harvin should never have gotten to that point, they should have paid the man (just like we should have paid Peters).
Now instead of having a young pro-bowl calibre WR on their roster, they've got to go after Wallace/Cruz or most likely draft an unproven wr from the draft

PTI
03-11-2013, 01:33 PM
Great move for the Hawks.

As for the Vikings... seems like something the Bills would do. Draft and build up a star and then let them go.
The dispute between the Vikings and Harvin should never have gotten to that point, they should have paid the man (just like we should have paid Peters).
Now instead of having a young pro-bowl calibre WR on their roster, they've got to go after Wallace/Cruz or most likely draft an unproven wr from the draft

Wallace will be catching passes from Tanehill.

TacklingDummy
03-11-2013, 01:52 PM
THey very well may get John Abraham too, he has visited there.

And this is why every time the Bills had a head coaching opening the past 10 years I have wanted Pete Carroll hired.

Mr. Pink
03-11-2013, 01:55 PM
How is it bad?

They are giving up a late first round pick for an elite WR who is still young. If that is the type of player they are looking for it is safer than throwing a first round pick at a guy like Tavon Austin, who while is very talented, is unproven.

I think it's a great move. There is risk there but good teams take risks when they have a strong supporting cast.

They gave up way too much for a guy who has a lengthy health issue that will always exist. A health issue that has forced him to miss numerous games over his entire career. Not to mention the fact he's not really all that great anyway.

They got fleeced.

kingJofNYC
03-11-2013, 01:57 PM
Soo maybe we can all agree that although not a "Homegrown" team by the meaning of the word. They have drafted extremely well....

I think that solves it.

It's semantics at this point, but the bottom line is that they've killed it in the draft and added accordingly via FA/Trades.

This is the same **** Buddy's been preaching but can't actually do.

IlluminatusUIUC
03-11-2013, 02:16 PM
They gave up way too much for a guy who has a lengthy health issue that will always exist. A health issue that has forced him to miss numerous games over his entire career. Not to mention the fact he's not really all that great anyway.

They got fleeced.

According to pro football reference, Harvin has missed two games due to migraines in his career, and hasn't even been listed on the injury report for migraines since 2010. In 2011, he accounted for 1300 yards from scrimmage and 8 TDs, and that's with Ponder and broke-dick McNabb throwing him footballs and Peterson hobbled. I think it was a fair deal.

tampabay25690
03-11-2013, 02:39 PM
Bad trade for the Hawks.

Y is that???
How many weapons do u see this year thata re better then Percy Harvin?

Mike
03-11-2013, 10:19 PM

They know what they are doing!!! In the 3rd round last year, the Bills trade up to get a raw WR they could have drafted 2 rounds later in Graham while the Seahawks draft Russel Wilson.

I swear that a few of the competent contributors on this blog would draft significantly better than OBD. Absolute steals from Irvin to Russel...

They know how to build a team both via FA & Draft!!! In 3 years the NFC West -formally the weakest division in football- now has 2 SB contenders!

Mike
03-11-2013, 10:26 PM
How is it bad?

To add to what your saying, even if they had drafted a guy instead who magically was as good or better than Harvin would take 3-4 years at which point they would have to pay him to stay. Chances are No rookie WR will give you production like Harvin over the next 4 years and the potential for a bust is significantly higher. I have always liked the idea of trading picks for young superstars. ITs a no brainer!

Mahdi
03-12-2013, 07:06 AM
It's semantics at this point, but the bottom line is that they've killed it in the draft and added accordingly via FA/Trades.

This is the same **** Buddy's been preaching but can't actually do.

The big misses for Buddy came in round 2. Troupe with the injury and Williams although talented hasn't found his niche.