PDA

View Full Version : Trade a 1st for Victor Cruz?

Mahdi
03-12-2013, 07:30 AM
Would anyone here have a problem with trading a first rounder for Victor Cruz? Still only 26 and would make an amazing tandem with Stevie...

I have a feeling the Pats will go after Cruz and gladly give up a first rounder.

sukie
03-12-2013, 07:34 AM
No. Not a first.

Jaybird
03-12-2013, 07:34 AM
I would have a major problem with it. he is more of a slot guy then anything. I think he is the right fit for the giants. Not the best route runner and was a great fit in their system. He is not worth a top 10 pick

Mahdi
03-12-2013, 07:38 AM
I would have a major problem with it. he is more of a slot guy then anything. I think he is the right fit for the giants. Not the best route runner and was a great fit in their system. He is not worth a top 10 pick

Not a great route runner? That's his biggest asset next to his speed and quickness. And although he starts out of the slot he is also a deep threat that scares a defense.

trapezeus
03-12-2013, 07:39 AM
i think a better strategy for a team would have been to keep your receivers and see if they improve with improved QB play. but instead the bills kept the qb's and canned the WR. Now they need both.

The other way would hvae at least given us the flexibility to replace one or two receiving positions. but now we need a star in WR to help ticket sales (priority number 1 at one bills drive) and a TE since nelson is gone and chandler is coming off injury.

So realistically, we are putting new talent into thehands of subpar QBing, and getting ready to blame the WR and TE again for the QB's inefficiencies.

the more i think about it, if i new the rebuild was going to look this bungled, i would have rather stuck with gailey and just tried a new QB and kept his offensive systems and kept almost everyone from the offense and start over on defense.

THATHURMANATOR
03-12-2013, 07:43 AM
No way!!!!

If we were going to give up a first for a WR it would have been Harvin who is MUCH better.

THRILLHO
03-12-2013, 07:46 AM
Victor Cruz is going to command some big $$$ which we do not have. Otherwise I wouldn't hate it. I just can't see Cruz not getting an offer from someone. I was thinking SF till they traded for Boldin.

Mahdi
03-12-2013, 07:48 AM
No way!!!!

If we were going to give up a first for a WR it would have been Harvin who is MUCH better.

Harvin is not better than Cruz IMO. Cruz is more proven and healthier.

mjt328
03-12-2013, 07:49 AM
We are in rebuild mode.

Trading a first round pick for a slot receiver and paying him a massive contract is probably not the wisest thing to do.

THATHURMANATOR
03-12-2013, 07:52 AM
I respectfully disagree on all counts.

Cruz is a one trick pony. He is also injured all the time too.

Harvin is a top player in the league.

Joe Fo Sho
03-12-2013, 07:56 AM

Isn't Harvin injured more often than Cruz? Cruz played all 16 games this year.

Anyway, I wouldn't give up a 1st for either of them.

Novacane
03-12-2013, 08:09 AM
In a heartbeat if we had a QB. Can't believe people are unwilling to trade a pick we hit on 25% of the time at best for one of the best young WR in the league.

DraftBoy
03-12-2013, 08:11 AM
No way!!!!

What?

Mahdi
03-12-2013, 08:15 AM

One-trick pony?

Have you watched Cruz play? He catches everything in every way. He goes over the middle, short, hitch, long down the middle, long down the line, screens, skinny post....Cruz is Manning's favorite target despite Hakeem Nicks being there who is a top WR himself.

What doesn't he do is a better question.

Mahdi
03-12-2013, 08:17 AM
In a heartbeat if we had a QB. Can't believe people are unwilling to trade a pick we hit on 25% of the time at best for one of the best young WR in the league.

You get a guy like Cruz that can give you 5 years of PB type production. In a draft that is weak at the top I don't think you can ask for much more than that.

THRILLHO
03-12-2013, 08:26 AM
One-trick pony?

Have you watched Cruz play? He catches everything in every way. He goes over the middle, short, hitch, long down the middle, long down the line, screens, skinny post....Cruz is Manning's favorite target despite Hakeem Nicks being there who is a top WR himself.

What doesn't he do is a better question.

AND he's a good dancer.

EDS
03-12-2013, 08:32 AM

Are you kidding, he is worth 3 Buddy Nix first round picks.

Pinkerton Security
03-12-2013, 08:40 AM
Cruz is good but gets fed the ball. Its looking to me that Fitz is our QB for this year unless Smith falls to us at 8 and Cruz could be a good safety blanket for Smith or Fitz, but IDK if hes worth #8 overall...he may be, Im just reluctant to trade our #1

Joe Fo Sho
03-12-2013, 08:50 AM
You get a guy like Cruz that can give you 5 years of PB type production. In a draft that is weak at the top I don't think you can ask for much more than that.

Probowl production? Who's going to throw him the ball?

THATHURMANATOR
03-12-2013, 08:54 AM
What?

My opinion is that Harvin is a much better player than Cruz.

TacklingDummy
03-12-2013, 08:56 AM
Get a franchise QB and WR's will be made.

better days
03-12-2013, 08:58 AM
My opinion is that Harvin is a much better player than Cruz.

I agree with you. Cruz is good, but he has a GOOD QB throwing to him. Harvin can do so much more than Cruz & he has had Ponder feeding him the ball, not Eli.

Mahdi
03-12-2013, 09:36 AM
I agree with you. Cruz is good, but he has a GOOD QB throwing to him. Harvin can do so much more than Cruz & he has had Ponder feeding him the ball, not Eli.

Harvin has also had the benefit of teams loading up to stop AP.

justasportsfan
03-12-2013, 09:43 AM
If the bills didn't have so many holes to fill I would do it.

Mahdi
03-12-2013, 09:50 AM
If the bills didn't have so many holes to fill I would do it.

Would they not be filling one of those holes? Its not like they are giving up multiple picks. Its huge need and we give up one pick. Whose to say the guy we pick at #8 will be better than Cruz?

justasportsfan
03-12-2013, 10:07 AM
Would they not be filling one of those holes? Its not like they are giving up multiple picks. Its huge need and we give up one pick. Whose to say the guy we pick at #8 will be better than Cruz?

you can fill that hole via the draft for less $. If we had $30M in cap space, sure. But we need $ to fill other holes which is why we can't offer Levitre market value.

Mahdi
03-12-2013, 10:11 AM
you can fill that hole via the draft for less $. If we had $30M in cap space, sure. But we need $ to fill other holes which is why we can't offer Levitre market value.

Ok but would you rather pay 10 mil a year to a proven PB receiver or 2 mil a year to an unproven player? No matter what, if we want quality we have to pay for it.

Our offense would look pretty good with Cruz, Johnson, Spiller and a Rd. 2 QB. Its moot anyway because the Bills won't do it. And I don't blame them. If we were picking 15-25 it would be easier to make that call.

But right now, if we have a shot at a guy like Jarvis Jones at 8 that is hard to pass up.

mikemac2001
03-12-2013, 10:11 AM
id love to trade for a young wr but then you have to pay him...so you its a positive and 2 negatives

id rather draft a player... and sign a player i know draft is a crap shoot but with the 8th ovr pick i think its a dumb move

psubills62
03-12-2013, 10:13 AM
I wouldn't give up a first for Cruz.

justasportsfan
03-12-2013, 10:50 AM
Ok but would you rather pay 10 mil a year to a proven PB receiver or 2 mil a year to an unproven player? No matter what, if we want quality we have to pay for it.

Our offense would look pretty good with Cruz, Johnson, Spiller and a Rd. 2 QB. Its moot anyway because the Bills won't do it. And I don't blame them. If we were picking 15-25 it would be easier to make that call.

But right now, if we have a shot at a guy like Jarvis Jones at 8 that is hard to pass up.
If we were in the same position as the seahawks or 9'ers to dish out $ for wr, I'm all for it. We're not.

better days
03-12-2013, 11:31 AM
Harvin has also had the benefit of teams loading up to stop AP.

Well, there is no way that makes up for Ponder VS Manning at QB. AP was not on the field many times that Harvin was. In fact when AP was injured, Harvin picked up the slack.

IlluminatusUIUC
03-12-2013, 11:51 AM
The Harvin comparison isn't really relevant, Harvin cost significantly more. An extra 3rd round pick more, if reports I heard yesterday were correct.

But that's not the issue. IMO I don't see how Cruz makes sense. It's not a "trade" to get him, we'd have to sign him to an offer sheet that the Giants wouldn't match. THEN they'd get our first. But if we have the money to fling at a wideout, I'd rather spend it on Levitre. If we don't throw a lot of money at him, the Giants will probably just match and then we don't get him anyway. I don't see how that situation could work for us.

SquishDaFish
03-12-2013, 02:15 PM
No way is Harvin better than Cruz. But I still wouldnt give up a 1st for either of them

Mike
03-13-2013, 03:00 AM

I would normally completely agree however we don't have a QB... Further there's a big difference between giving up a top 10 pick & a pick in the bottom of the 1st.

clumping platelets
03-13-2013, 03:17 AM
If Giants would consider a swap of 1st's and a cond 2014........I would do it. Yes, he can be traded after signing the 1 yr tender then basically the Bills would sign him to an extension.