PDA

View Full Version : Wow, embarrassing! Nix prank call. Good info inside.

Mindbender
03-12-2013, 10:16 AM
geez Louise (http://deadspin.com/pranksters-record-two-nfl-gms-discussing-free-agency-ov-452366184?utm_campaign=socialflow_deadspin_twitter&utm_source=deadspin_twitter&utm_medium=socialflow)

wow.

Jimbuktu
03-12-2013, 10:20 AM
WOW, hopefully this expedites Fitzpatrick's departure from Buffalo.

Joe Fo Sho
03-12-2013, 10:21 AM
Holy crap.

Skooby
03-12-2013, 10:25 AM
I didn't think Nix knew how to use a phone, that's really shocking to me.

The King
03-12-2013, 10:27 AM
WOW!?

Mr. Miyagi
03-12-2013, 10:32 AM
Damn this is like national security leaked out. Holy smokes.

justasportsfan
03-12-2013, 10:32 AM
those pranksters could/should end up in jail.

Mr. Miyagi
03-12-2013, 10:33 AM
Nix sounded like a flustering old man.

BillsU
Well straight from the horses mouth he thinks of Fitzpatrick as a backup!

ServoBillieves
That's... man that's awful

Mr. Miyagi
03-12-2013, 10:34 AM
Someone bust out the Bellichick-Brady sex tape stat.

venis2k1
03-12-2013, 10:36 AM
wait, so i can just call Nix anytime i want??

This is crazy.

BillsU
03-12-2013, 10:37 AM
The kids are also screwed. They have their phone number!

Joe Fo Sho
03-12-2013, 10:38 AM
The kids are also screwed. They have their phone number!

Who cares? What did they do wrong?

BillsU
03-12-2013, 10:40 AM
Who cares? What did they do wrong? Really? What did they do wrong?

OpIv37
03-12-2013, 10:40 AM
Maybe Buddy should stop and think who agreed to pay Fitz that much before he *****es

Joe Fo Sho
03-12-2013, 10:41 AM
Really? What did they do wrong?

Is that illegal? To call a public number and ask for Buddy Nix?

ParanoidAndroid
03-12-2013, 10:41 AM
He sure as hell isn't going to negotiate now. Fitz will be released. Now there is no doubt.

BillsU
03-12-2013, 10:42 AM
Is that illegal? To call a public number and ask for Buddy Nix? They recorded someone's private conversation.

The King
03-12-2013, 10:42 AM
You have to cut Fitz after this fiasco. There's no way he can ever take a snap for this team again. Nix just destroyed his relationship with him and I'm sure this is going to break whatever confidence Fitz had left.

YardRat
03-12-2013, 10:44 AM
Another reason to slap a bag over your head, Buffalo...:ill:

coastal
03-12-2013, 10:44 AM
****ing awesome!

another GM calls sweater vest Nix so he proceeds to call him back... over and over and over again?

what a homo!

Joe Fo Sho
03-12-2013, 10:45 AM
They recorded someone's private conversation.

It was through his phone though. He didn't hack into their cell phone and steal information.

justasportsfan
03-12-2013, 10:46 AM
Is that illegal? To call a public number and ask for Buddy Nix?

recording a private conversation without consent is.

Michael82
03-12-2013, 10:46 AM
Holy ****! That's some crazy **** right there. I especially like the whole Fitzpatrick response that Buddy said....

"We're still struggling here with our quarterback...We're not really struggling--he's going to have to do something, or we'll have to."

Sounds like if he doesn't take a paycut, he's out of here! Buddy also said that he's "fighting for a backup job." :rofl:

BillsU
03-12-2013, 10:47 AM
It was through his phone though. He didn't hack into their cell phone and steal information. Umm a recording is a recording.

Tatonka
03-12-2013, 10:47 AM
besides the fact that it basically says they see fitz as a back up.. he also stated the obvious.. the qb crop sucks this year.. he said its a terrible time to be in need of a qb.. and then also spoke about having to force a pick.. so awesome..

they think the qbs suck, and we are still going to take one.. cant wait for this to go terrible.

Joe Fo Sho
03-12-2013, 10:49 AM
recording a private conversation without consent is.

Tapping phones is illegal without permission from a court, but I think this is different than tapping a phone.

BillsU
03-12-2013, 10:50 AM
Tapping phones is illegal without permission from a court, but I think this is different than tapping a phone. They still acquired information without consent.

Joe Fo Sho
Umm a recording is a recording.

Technicalities.

Michael82
besides the fact that it basically says they see fitz as a back up.. he also stated the obvious.. the qb crop sucks this year.. he said its a terrible time to be in need of a qb.. and then also spoke about having to force a pick.. so awesome..

they think the qbs suck, and we are still going to take one.. cant wait for this to go terrible.

Good point, he sounded depressed about the fact that they really need a QB this year and this draft class is terrible.

venis2k1
03-12-2013, 10:51 AM
"Those who illegally record telephone conversation are subject to steep fines and possible imprisonment. Penalties include a fine of up to $10,000 or a prison sentence of no more than five years. Victims may also recover any attorney fees or the cost of any damages related to the illegal recording of their telephone call."

ServoBillieves
"Read the Patriot Act."

- Wayne Jarvis.

The King
How embarrassing is this to the organization?

Joe Fo Sho
03-12-2013, 10:52 AM
They still acquired information without consent.

What I'm saying is that I don't think they NEED consent.

Look, I'm not a lawyer, or even close to one. But I don't think that anything will happen to the person who recorded this call.

Joe Fo Sho
03-12-2013, 10:53 AM
"Those who illegally record telephone conversation are subject to steep fines and possible imprisonment. Penalties include a fine of up to $10,000 or a prison sentence of no more than five years. Victims may also recover any attorney fees or the cost of any damages related to the illegal recording of their telephone call."

What state is this? What states law would apply? What else does the law say? What about personal calls vs business calls? What about when you record a call that is incoming to your phone?

justasportsfan
03-12-2013, 10:54 AM

Look, I'm not a lawyer, or even close to one. But I don't think that anything will happen to the person who recorded this call.
so a secretary can record a boss' conversation an post it publicly?

BillsU
03-12-2013, 10:56 AM
What state is this? What states law would apply? What else does the law say? What about personal calls vs business calls? What about when you record a call that is incoming to your phone? The call wasn't meant for the recorders in the first place and proceeded to record it.

Joe Fo Sho
03-12-2013, 10:56 AM
so a secretary can record a boss' conversation an post it publicly?

I have no idea, but that's different than what happened here. It's this guys personal phone, not a phone his boss is paying for...at least that's my take on it. I don't really know who is paying this guys phone bill, I guess.

Mr. Miyagi
03-12-2013, 10:59 AM
Tapping phones is illegal without permission from a court, but I think this is different than tapping a phone.
You ever call a customer service and they tell you this call may be recorded? Why do you think they do that? Because they have to, by law, to inform you of your conversation being recorded.

BillsU
http://www.mrcustodycoach.com/blog/resources/recording-telephone-calls-laws-state-by-state-directory

OpIv37
It's illegal to record a phone conversation without the consent of the other people on the line.

I looked into it a few years ago when I was president of our HOA because we had one resident who was rather fond of calling me at 7:30 am to threaten me with lawsuits.

venis2k1

Yes, you definatly need consent...Laws very from state to state, but at least one of the partys has to know about the recording(most states its both)

There may also be fraud charges involved. You cant call somebody and pretend to be a real person that your not. Pretty sure its a felony.

Joe Fo Sho
03-12-2013, 11:00 AM
You ever call a customer service and they tell you this call may be recorded? Why do you think they do that? Because they have to, by law, to inform you of your conversation being recorded.

That's a business, this is a personal cell phone.

mikemac2001
03-12-2013, 11:01 AM
wow this is kind of funny just sucks its our GM

i cant keep laughing idk y

justasportsfan
It's illegal to record a phone conversation without the consent of the other people on the line.

I looked into it a few years ago when I was president of our HOA because we had one resident who was rather fond of calling me at 7:30 am to threaten me with lawsuits.

I could be wrong but if there is consent, it can only be used for private use.

Mr. Miyagi
How embarrassing is this to the organization?
This is awful King. Both GMs look like clowns, especially Nix because he sounded exactly what BF1 calls him, the bumbling Buddy Nix.

Joe Fo Sho
03-12-2013, 11:02 AM
Yes, you definatly need consent...Laws very from state to state, but at least one of the partys has to know about the recording(most states its both)

There may also be fraud charges involved. You cant call somebody and pretend to be a real person that your not. Pretty sure its a felony.

http://lifehacker.com/5491190/is-it-legal-to-record-phone-calls

This article says otherwise.

BillsU
03-12-2013, 11:05 AM
http://lifehacker.com/5491190/is-it-legal-to-record-phone-calls This article says otherwise. The whole thing though is they weren't who the phone call was for in the first place they were impersonating someone else.

Mr. Miyagi
That's a business, this is a personal cell phone.
It was? Because Nix and the Bucs GM are good personal friends and they hang out with each other's families? And the phone conversation as we heard it contains nothing business-related whatsoever?

Mindbender
I think it depends on your state. In Ohio for example, only one party (in this case the prankster) has to be aware of the recording.

The King
03-12-2013, 11:06 AM
This is awful King. Both GMs look like clowns, especially Nix because he sounded exactly what BF1 calls him, the bumbling Buddy Nix.
Nix comes off like a senile grampa.

justasportsfan
03-12-2013, 11:06 AM

http://legallad.quickanddirtytips.com/the-legality-of-recording-conversations.aspx

venis2k1
03-12-2013, 11:07 AM

"In general, it is legal in most states to record a telephone conversation if you are part of that conversation, or at least one member of the conversation has given consent (protecting the conversation from being recorded secretly by an outside party). Specifically, in these states, you may record any phone conversation without getting the other person's consent."

From your link.

The people recording Nix were not part of the conversation, AND nobody gave consent. So, Its against the law.

Mr. Miyagi
03-12-2013, 11:08 AM
I think it depends on your state. In Ohio for example, only one party (in this case the prankster) has to be aware of the recording.
I would argue that the prankster was not part of the conversation so neither party (Nix and Bucs GM) was aware of the recording.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah, this looks real bad.

Joe Fo Sho
03-12-2013, 11:11 AM
"In general, it is legal in most states to record a telephone conversation if you are part of that conversation, or at least one member of the conversation has given consent (protecting the conversation from being recorded secretly by an outside party). Specifically, in these states, you may record any phone conversation without getting the other person's consent."

From your link.

The people recording Nix were not part of the conversation, AND nobody gave consent. So, Its against the law.

I would argue that the person recording was absolutely part of the conversation, as it was through his phone.

Mindbender
03-12-2013, 11:11 AM
One could argue that since the call originated with the pranksters phone they were a member of the conversation. Flimsy but one could argue that.

better days
03-12-2013, 11:12 AM
You have to cut Fitz after this fiasco. There's no way he can ever take a snap for this team again. Nix just destroyed his relationship with him and I'm sure this is going to break whatever confidence Fitz had left.

Well, I have been saying for a while now, Fitz will be cut today. No surprise to me.

better days
03-12-2013, 11:14 AM
One could argue that since the call originated with the pranksters phone they were a member of the conversation. Flimsy but one could argue that.

Except they misrepresented themselves. In most States it is illegal to tape a phone call without the other persons knowledge.

Mr. Miyagi
03-12-2013, 11:15 AM
We should focus on the main point here, about the conversation itself and not the prankster. Really, does anyone really care whether this dude goes get butt-****ed in prison or not? I don't.

This is definitely embarrassing for the organization. Shoot, as if we need more reasons to be the laughing stock of the league.

Joe Fo Sho
03-12-2013, 11:16 AM

You could argue that, and it was originated by the prankster on TB's side.

I really don't know what's going to happen, I just tend to always have the backs of people who do stuff like this. I guess time will tell, maybe he'll get his pants sued off.

Joe Fo Sho
03-12-2013, 11:17 AM
We should focus on the main point here, about the conversation itself and not the prankster. Really, does anyone really care whether this dude goes get butt-****ed in prison or not? I don't.

This is definitely embarrassing for the organization. Shoot, as if we need more reasons to be the laughing stock of the league.

You're right.

I think if anything, this should show teams that they maybe should beef up their call security or take some sort of preventative measures so this won't happen again.

better days
03-12-2013, 11:18 AM

I don't know why people think that. Dominick was every bit as fooled as Buddy was & he is much younger.

better days
03-12-2013, 11:25 AM

I don't get what is so embarrassing about the conversation Nix & Dominick had. The only thing embarrassing is the fact BOTH GMs were duped into thinking the other had called.

venis2k1
03-12-2013, 11:26 AM
From the Bills:

"We are aware of the report on Deadspin involving a phone conversation with Bills GM Buddy Nix. We have made the league aware of the report and are reviewing it with legal counsel."

bosshogg21
03-12-2013, 11:31 AM
I think it's great. Now we know exactly how our GM feels about addressing the qb situation and sounds like he's ready to do something about it.

Michael82

That's what scares me the most. He didnt sound like he liked any of the QBs available in the draft.

coastal
Festival of screwups...

better days
03-12-2013, 11:35 AM
That's what scares me the most. He didnt sound like he liked any of the QBs available in the draft.

Nix had already said in public that all of the QBs have some holes in their game, but he said he thinks two or three will seperate themselves from the pack & become GOOD QBs & win many games.

As far as Fitz the fact the Bills did not renegotiate a new contract with him already should have told everyone he would be cut & I have been saying that.

Mr. Miyagi
03-12-2013, 11:37 AM
Festival of screwups...
Marrone hasn't done anything yet. How did he screw up?

Where's the neg button?

TedMock
03-12-2013, 11:38 AM
This is getting blown waaaaaayyyyyy out of proportion. It was a simple prank that an old GM and a young GM got caught up in. And, honestly, it's not hard to fathom that happening this time of year. The team employee patched him in to begin with. Nothing said was earth shattering by any stretch.

Edit- the conversation is being blown out of proportion. The fact that there was an illegal taping is another issue and the clowns who did that deserve penalties.

IlluminatusUIUC
03-12-2013, 11:40 AM
When two people have a phone call, the laws of both states are implicated. Florida is an "all-party consent" state which means that you can't use any recorded conversation without the consent of everyone being recorded. That was clearly violated. Now, based on my reading of the Florida law (http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes/index.cfm/Sections/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&Search_String=&URL=0900-0999/0934/Sections/0934.03.html), he'd probably only be guilty of a second degree misdemeanor because it wasn't being recorded for any personal or financial gain. I'm not sure what the teams could sue him for, they'd have a hard time proving any real damages.

YardRat
03-12-2013, 11:40 AM
wait, so i can just call Nix anytime i want??

This is crazy.

Back in the day when Wolford was bolting for Indy I called OBD and left a message for John Butler...he called me back that evening and we spoke for about an hour.

TedMock
03-12-2013, 11:45 AM
A buddy of mine is the biggest hockey fan I know and he was patched in to Bettman a few years ago. He left a message complaining about some rule and got a call back too.

justasportsfan
03-12-2013, 11:47 AM
Back in the day when Wolford was bolting for Indy I called OBD and left a message for John Butler...he called me back that evening and we spoke for about an hour.

so now I know why we signed Robosack!!!!!

Joe Fo Sho
03-12-2013, 11:48 AM
I have Mike Pettine's phone number, at least it was his number when he was with the Jets. What can we do with it?

The King
03-12-2013, 11:52 AM
Fitzpatrick's agent not with this phone call prank . Understands mistakes happen but embarrassed his client was bashed by GM. -PFC

venis2k1
03-12-2013, 11:53 AM
Somebody call pretending to be Brad Smith...Tell them you want to retire.

Mr. Miyagi
03-12-2013, 11:55 AM
Somebody call pretending to be Brad Smith...Tell them you want to retire.
I wonder if that's what happened to Kelsay.

Joe Fo Sho
03-12-2013, 11:56 AM
I wonder if that's what happened to Kelsay.

Probably, and Kelsay just hasn't heard about it because he's still chasing the running back from a play fake in December.

don137
03-12-2013, 12:03 PM
Don't think revealed much other than he privately is revealing he has no faith in Fitzpatrick. He has publicly stated he needs to address the QB situation. He doesn't want to tip his hand on who he likes in the draft to another GM so doesn't surprise me at all he did state anything revealing. He more or less implied he is not sure the QB position will be resolved because he has no clue how the draft will go.
Nix didn't come out and say it but It also sounds to me is they offered Fitz a paycut and it's up to him to decide if he wants it. If not the Bills will cut him. Maybe I am just interpreting it incorrectly.

swiper
03-12-2013, 12:09 PM
Well straight from the horses mouth he thinks of Fitzpatrick as a backup!

Then why did he sign him to that terrible contract??????

justasportsfan
03-12-2013, 12:11 PM
Then why did he sign him to that terrible contract??????

upon the advice of Chan? :idunno:

either ways, Nix as a GM screwed that up.

kingJofNYC
03-12-2013, 12:15 PM
HAHAHAHAHA

Simply amazing, at least Nix wasn't the only one, we can hang our hats on that!

swiper
03-12-2013, 12:15 PM
Newsflash folks: Fitz knows he sucks. He knows he is actively stealing money from the Bills. If he refuses to renegotiate then cut his ass loose. Travaris Jackson is certainly no worse than Fitzpatrick.

EDS
03-12-2013, 12:17 PM
Maybe Buddy should stop and think who agreed to pay Fitz that much before he *****es

That is the funniest and most embarassing part about that whole thing. Nix is completely asleep at the wheel.

EDS
03-12-2013, 12:20 PM

It is Buddy's fault the Bills are in this position as he ignored the position the past three years.

jlgarsh
03-12-2013, 12:20 PM
New York is a one party state (except for NYC). Only one party needs to be aware that the call is recorded, and they were.

trapezeus
03-12-2013, 12:21 PM
so the bills gm is caught up in a phone scandal...manti teo was caught up in a phone scandal. bills like light weight ineffectual LB's who can't translate their play to the NFL game.

this has become too obvious.

bf1
03-12-2013, 12:24 PM
Bumbling Buddy Nix strikes again!

Ain't he bumblin'?

better days
03-12-2013, 12:25 PM
upon the advice of Chan? :idunno:

either ways, Nix as a GM screwed that up.

I think Chan told Nix "Fitz is a great QB for my offense, lets get him locked up for the future while he is cheap." If Fitz had kept on playing as well as he did before he signed the contract, the Bills would have faced a situation like the Ravens with Flacco.
I can't think of another player that has tanked as bad as Fitz as soon as he was paid.

coastal
03-12-2013, 12:28 PM
Marrone hasn't done anything yet. How did he screw up?

Where's the neg button?
When the people interviewing you are clearly douchebags and you chose to work there anyways?

cmon.. follow me down the reason trail... it doesn't hurt... I promise.

justasportsfan
03-12-2013, 12:31 PM
When the people interviewing you are clearly douchebags and you chose to work there anyways?

cmon.. follow me down the reason trail... it doesn't hurt... I promise.

define douchebags

RedEyE
Maybe Nix will be fired because of this.

venis2k1
If Fitz had kept on playing as well as he did before he signed the contract, the Bills would have faced a situation like the Ravens with Flacco.

I dont even know where to begin with that one.

better days
03-12-2013, 12:32 PM
I dont even know where to begin with that one.

Of course you don't.

Joe Fo Sho
03-12-2013, 12:36 PM
Of course you don't.

Well it's hard to have a decent football conversation with someone who thinks Fitz at any point in his career was playing well enough to be the highest paid player in the NFL.

justasportsfan
03-12-2013, 12:38 PM
Well it's hard to have a decent football conversation with someone who thinks Fitz at any point in his career was playing well enough to be the highest paid player in the NFL.he was? I thought he was paid an average qb salary that the new CBA dictated. :idunno:

Night Train
03-12-2013, 12:40 PM
I didn't miss the point of this.

Fitz will NOT be our QB next year. YES !

Joe Fo Sho
03-12-2013, 12:42 PM
he was? I thought he was paid an average qb salary that the new CBA dictated. :idunno:

He was comparing Fitz's past situation with Flacco's current situation. Flacco is now the highest paid player in the league.

trapezeus
03-12-2013, 12:44 PM
it's an honest assessment from buddy though. i wish we could have really gotten the smoking gun which would have been "the organization is looking for a way to sell some names. it goes against how i would have built a team."

i don't get what those two were really talking about if they didn't actually discuss what either of them could do for each other via trade and/or draft moves.

maybe nix has to step down sooner than later.

mjt328
03-12-2013, 12:47 PM
But...But...But...

According to some people on this board, I thought Fitz was good enough to be a starter in this league...

Extremebillsfan247
03-12-2013, 12:49 PM
Then why did he sign him to that terrible contract?????? Buddy Nix doesn't negotiate contracts. That is a job handled by Jim Overdorf. He is also the one that handles most, if not all trade negotiations with other teams. He is considered the Bills salary cap specialist. Just a little FYI for those who may not have been aware. Nix may not have been aware of the specifics of Fitzpatrick's contract until it was already a done deal. At the time, it probably seemed like a good idea. But that's what often happens to teams who are desperate for a legit starting QB. JMO

Extremebillsfan247
03-12-2013, 12:52 PM
Now, on the whole prank call thing, I listened to it. It doesn't sound like a prank at all but a legit tapped conversation. Illegal tapping is a federal offense punishable by up to 5 years in prison per tap, and or a 250,000 dollar fine if found guilty. The Bills, Bucs, and NFL Security I'm told are in consultation with their respective legal teams on this matter. They aren't done with this story yet. lol Fireworks are great. But this is better.

better days
03-12-2013, 12:53 PM
But...But...But...

According to some people on this board, I thought Fitz was good enough to be a starter in this league...

Well, I was one of those people a LONG TIME AGO. I doubt ANYBODY has thought or said that Fitz is good enough to be a starter in quite a while.

RedEyE
03-12-2013, 12:53 PM
I didn't miss the point of this.

Fitz will NOT be our QB next year. YES !

I guess I interpreted that differently. I heard that basically the QB class sux and that Fitz is the guy this year unless someone happens to miraculously drop in their lap.

ServoBillieves
03-12-2013, 12:55 PM
So now Buddy and Dominik have to deal with this crap on the side while trying to do well in the beginning madness of FA.

Great timing by these kids.

better days
03-12-2013, 12:56 PM
I guess I interpreted that wrong. I heard that basically the QB class sux and that Fitz is the guy this year unless someone happens to miraculously drop in their lap.

Fixed that for you.

RedEyE
03-12-2013, 01:02 PM
I have a vagina.

I fixed that for you.

IAG
03-12-2013, 01:03 PM
Its funny that people want these kids thrown in jail yet your government is tapping phone calls from over seas, using drones domestically and getting info without warrants on what YOU Google...you people fascinate me. Our country is screwed.

ServoBillieves
03-12-2013, 01:08 PM
Its funny that people want these kids thrown in jail yet your government is tapping phone calls from over seas, using drones domestically and getting info without warrants on what YOU Google...you people fascinate me. Our country is screwed.

Oh shut UP IAG, this is way more important than all that miniscule crap you're talking about, this is FOOTBALL!

justasportsfan
03-12-2013, 01:11 PM

Oh relax. Is China would be a better option for you?

Oaf
03-12-2013, 01:22 PM
Right now, there are two 20yr olds pooping their pants because they recorded two idiots having a phone call. This is crazy haha

stuckincincy
03-12-2013, 01:24 PM

Indeed.

Franklin at the Constitutional Convention:

..."In these sentiments, Sir, I agree to this Constitution with all its faults, if they are such; because I think a general Government necessary for us, and there is no form of Government but what may be a blessing to the people if well administered, and believe farther that this is likely to be well administered for a course of years, and can only end in Despotism, as other forms have done before it, when the people shall become so corrupted as to need despotic Government, being incapable of any other."...

http://www.usconstitution.net/franklin.html

Also,

"We have no government armed with power capable of contending with human passions unbridled by morality and religion. Avarice, ambition, revenge or gallantry would break the strongest cords of our Constitution as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution is designed only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate for any other." - John Adams

http://www.quotationspage.com/quote/14102.html

I have little doubt that we will soon become a one-party, dictatorial system, and the Constitution will fade into history (history being a subject meticulously removed from school curriculum. See also geography - a sense of place). Unlike a parliamentary system, there will be no recovery possible under our bicameral system.

I'm just happy that I'm old enough to outlast the inevitable before I croak. :bike:

IAG
03-12-2013, 01:24 PM
Oh relax. Is China would be a better option for you?

Relax on privacy? Constitutional rights? Policy state?

http://www.myfoxny.com/story/21582450/nj-woman-accused-of-exposing-breasts-at-cameras

Take a look at this story and tell me this is not unsettling. So...no, I will not "relax" when it comes to the Bill of Rights and checking the government's power.

jimmifli
03-12-2013, 01:26 PM
About the legality, these kids just ****ed with 2 billion dollar organizations. The actual law doesn't matter much, they are ****ed.

But on to what's important. Anytime someone here posts that "These guys are experts, they're the ones that got hired. We're just fans." Just post that recording.

IAG
03-12-2013, 01:29 PM
The kids should not have done this. However, when the government does this all the time and there is more uproar with these idiot kids, we have issues.

Extremebillsfan247
03-12-2013, 01:33 PM
Oh shut UP IAG, this is way more important than all that miniscule crap you're talking about, this is FOOTBALL! http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg200/HOTBOI_2008/this_is_sparta.jpg :lol:

Extremebillsfan247
03-12-2013, 02:46 PM
More on this story from WBEN http://www.wben.com/Attorney--Nix-Pranksters-Could-Face-Charges/15779587 <- Nix pranksters could face charges. Yikes. lol

Joe Fo Sho
03-12-2013, 02:52 PM
More on this story from WBEN http://www.wben.com/Attorney--Nix-Pranksters-Could-Face-Charges/15779587 <- Nix pranksters could face charges. Yikes. lol

"One individual consenting would take it out of the illegal area," says LaTona.

How funny would it be if Mark Dominik comes out and is like "Yeah it's OK with me that they did this."

Oaf
03-12-2013, 02:58 PM
Nix should do it, just to save face.

MidnightVoice
03-12-2013, 03:07 PM
Buffalo Bills comment on GMs' taped phone call

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000149894/article/buffalo-bills-comment-on-gms-taped-phone-call

The conversation was fascinating, but the legality of how the tape was obtained seemed questionable at best, so it was not posted on Around The League. The Bills released a statement on the matter to the Buffalo News.

"We are aware of the report on Deadspin involving a phone conversation with Bills GM Buddy Nix," the Bills said. "We have made the league aware of the report and are reviewing it with legal counsel."

NFL spokesman Greg Aiello added: "NFL Security and our attorneys are looking into it."

That sounds ominous for the men who made the recording.

X-Era
03-12-2013, 03:50 PM
Very embarrassing.

coastal
03-12-2013, 03:52 PM
Do analytics take into account the baboons who are supposed to utilize them?

IAG
03-12-2013, 04:07 PM
This would not have happened to Donahoe.

Typ0
03-12-2013, 04:08 PM
I can see the future. Fitz will land in Clevelend and they will vault to a Superbowl victory after he wins the starter job. The movie will be adjusted accordingly and become a box office smash. The Browns will negotiate royalties in perpetuity from the box office as well as huge television and merchandise dollars based on their successes. Ralph Wilson will suffer a fatal heart attack when Fitz throws the winning touchdown pass in Superbowl 2014. His estate will then sue these two kids for $2.7 Billion rendering them financially destroyed for life. OBD will then write off the amounts as bad debt saving huge $$$ on the transaction of the team sale where an anonymous buyer from Youngstown Ohio is able to purchase the team and move it into Ohio making it a tiny state with Three NFL teams!

Cleve
03-12-2013, 04:35 PM
These pranksters should get a medal from Buffalo Bills fans - 1. -they guaranteed the long over-due departure of Ryan Blitzpatrick, one of the WORST "starting" QBs the Buffalo Bills have ever been saddled with, and 2.) almost assuredly have accelerated the departure of Nix, whom the incident makes appear stunningly incompetent and doddering.

G Wolly
03-12-2013, 04:46 PM
Nix and Marrone set up the phone call as an easier way to break the news to Fitz.

Cleve
03-12-2013, 05:01 PM
I'll bet Nix's secretary probably tried to warn him it was a crank call, but Nix is so old and confused he probably thought that she meant the TYPE of telephone, not the crank nature of the call, and therefore figured he'd best speak clearly and loudly so he could be heard over an old phone. LOL

What an absolute embarrassment and joke Nix is, and he helped make a national laughingstock out of the Bills. Guy needs to go away, stat.

SABURZFAN
03-12-2013, 05:57 PM
But...But...But...

some people thought the same with Lossman and we know how that turned out.

SABURZFAN
03-12-2013, 05:59 PM
Well, I was one of those people a LONG TIME AGO. I doubt ANYBODY has thought or said that Fitz is good enough to be a starter in quite a while.

see what I mean....

SABURZFAN
03-12-2013, 06:01 PM
Right now, there are two 20yr olds pooping their pants because they recorded two idiots having a phone call. This is crazy haha

there's 20 year olds on this message board that poop their pants without recording phone calls.

SABURZFAN
03-12-2013, 06:02 PM
The kids should not have done this. However, when the government does this all the time and there is more uproar with these idiot kids, we have issues.

don't get the Obama Lickers going. :shakeno:

better days
03-12-2013, 07:51 PM
some people thought the same with Lossman and we know how that turned out.

And some people thought the same with Trent and we know how that turned out.

BillsFever21
03-12-2013, 08:00 PM
Bumbling Buddy strikes again...

He acts like he inherited Ryan Fitzpatrick. This is the horrible team that he constructed.

DetDannyWilliams
03-12-2013, 08:54 PM
Now, on the whole prank call thing, I listened to it. It doesn't sound like a prank at all but a legit tapped conversation. Illegal tapping is a federal offense punishable by up to 5 years in prison per tap, and or a 250,000 dollar fine if found guilty. The Bills, Bucs, and NFL Security I'm told are in consultation with their respective legal teams on this matter. They aren't done with this story yet. lol Fireworks are great. But this is better.

watergate

swiper
03-12-2013, 09:07 PM
Buddy Nix doesn't negotiate contracts. That is a job handled by Jim Overdorf. He is also the one that handles most, if not all trade negotiations with other teams. He is considered the Bills salary cap specialist. Just a little FYI for those who may not have been aware. Nix may not have been aware of the specifics of Fitzpatrick's contract until it was already a done deal. At the time, it probably seemed like a good idea. But that's what often happens to teams who are desperate for a legit starting QB. JMO

Wow. You think we just fell off the turnip truck. Nix negotiates the contract. Nix comes up with the numbers. Overdorf merely puts a bow on it. You just swung and missed.

better days
03-12-2013, 10:13 PM
Wow. You think we just fell off the turnip truck. Nix negotiates the contract. Nix comes up with the numbers. Overdorf merely puts a bow on it. You just swung and missed.

I agree with you that Nix talks to the agent about the numbers, but it is Overdorf that draws up the contract that specifies when & how that money is to be paid.

Skooby
03-12-2013, 10:16 PM
don't get the Obama Lickers going. :shakeno:

Speaking of Lickers, Yordad's mom just left my basemen for the first time in a week. The chrome on the trailor hitch wouldn't have a chance.

TigerJ
03-12-2013, 10:24 PM
Is that illegal? To call a public number and ask for Buddy Nix?I think it's probably illegal for a third party to record a private phone conversation without at least tacit or implied knowledge of the two parties in conversation without a warrant.

imbondz
03-12-2013, 10:34 PM
we're finally getting alot of media attention!

BillsFever21
03-12-2013, 10:36 PM
I agree with you that Nix talks to the agent about the numbers, but it is Overdorf that draws up the contract that specifies when & how that money is to be paid.

Overdorf might write up the contracts but any numbers associated with them is first dictated by the GM and then any contract written up would have to be approved by a higher up.

The GM is in charge of the show. It's not like they just say we want this player and sign him to a contract without being involved in the status of the contract. That would be like somebody in the accounting department of a big company writing up the budget for a billion dollar company but the CEO, CFO or somebody higher up the company doesn't approve it or doesn't have his hands on the outcome of it.

I've written up budgets for a department that pulled in millions of dollars a week in revenue. It's not like the final decision was made by myself. The main man informs you of what kind of spending and budget he is looking for and you base it off that and the previous numbers from the year before. Then when that's complete any finalization of it is passed by somebody way higher up in the company and most of the time with many changes before it.

Overdorf just does the dirty work for it and writes up the language. It would be naive to think that the GM doesn't have the final say in any contract. That would be like Nix saying he wanted Fitzpatrick and then screaming at Overdorf when he found out he gave him 20+ million in guaranteed money. Nix gives Overdorf what he's looking for and it goes from there.

mjt328
03-12-2013, 10:42 PM

For some unknown reason, some Bills fans are just in denial that Nix has done a terrible job. He gets excuse after excuse...

He didn't have "his" scouts for the 2010 draft.
He had Fitz forced on him by Gailey.
He has "only" bypassed 2-3 quality NFL quarterbacks for Aaron Williams and TJ Graham, and picking players is just a crapshoot.

better days
03-12-2013, 11:47 PM
Overdorf might write up the contracts but any numbers associated with them is first dictated by the GM and then any contract written up would have to be approved by a higher up.

The GM is in charge of the show. It's not like they just say we want this player and sign him to a contract without being involved in the status of the contract. That would be like somebody in the accounting department of a big company writing up the budget for a billion dollar company but the CEO, CFO or somebody higher up the company doesn't approve it or doesn't have his hands on the outcome of it.

I've written up budgets for a department that pulled in millions of dollars a week in revenue. It's not like the final decision was made by myself. The main man informs you of what kind of spending and budget he is looking for and you base it off that and the previous numbers from the year before. Then when that's complete any finalization of it is passed by somebody way higher up in the company and most of the time with many changes before it.

Overdorf just does the dirty work for it and writes up the language. It would be naive to think that the GM doesn't have the final say in any contract. That would be like Nix saying he wanted Fitzpatrick and then screaming at Overdorf when he found out he gave him 20+ million in guaranteed money. Nix gives Overdorf what he's looking for and it goes from there.

Well, the point you are missing is that Overdorf, not Nix is the Money man. Nix judges the talent & Overdorf decides if the Bills can afford him.

Bert102176
03-13-2013, 01:13 AM
Does this surprise anyone that Nix can be fooled like that, the mo fo should be in an old folks home

Mike
03-13-2013, 03:23 AM
those pranksters could/should end up in jail.

You want to send someone who made a phone call to jail? It's a prank, why so serious besides there was nothing illegal done nor any damages.

swiper
03-13-2013, 05:16 AM
Well, the point you are missing is that Overdorf, not Nix is the Money man. Nix judges the talent & Overdorf decides if the Bills can afford him.

But Overdorf is not the one that negotiates and decides.

swiper
03-13-2013, 05:19 AM
You want to send someone who made a phone call to jail? It's a prank, why so serious besides there was nothing illegal done nor any damages.

Apparently the Bills, Bucs and NFL do not agree with you. It was a breach of NFL security.

blackonyx89
03-13-2013, 08:10 AM
Wow, talk about a security and privacy breach! Those pranksters should go to jail and it's not Nix's fault, he didn't know. If they can hack into Michelle Obama, Jay Z, Ashton Kutcher and numerous politicians and celebrities' bank accounts, the phone is juat as easy. Sad this had to happen, but it did. At least Fitz is gone, good guy but not a great QB, mediocre.

better days
03-13-2013, 08:13 AM
But Overdorf is not the one that negotiates and decides.

Yeah, he does. Overdorf also negotiates with other teams about trades. If Nix targets a guy he would like to trade for, he tells Overdorf & Overdorf takes it from there.

better days
03-13-2013, 08:14 AM

Yeah, it was illegal to tape a conversation without the persons knowledge or consent.

BillsFever21
03-13-2013, 04:00 PM

I'm not missing any point. Overdorf crunches the numbers based off what Nix is willing to pay for somebody. Overdorf doesn't make the decision on how much they are willing to pay somebody.

My reply wasn't more specified towards your post but one further up in the thread but I didn't have the time to search back up through to it. It was in response to the guy who acted like Nix doesn't have any say in the contracts and it's all done by Overdorf.

Exactly Overdorf is the money man who lets them know what kind of cap space they have available for that year and future years but he doesn't make the decisions on the money of the contract. And he obviously isn't very good at his job when it comes to allocating and structuring contract salaries considering the Bills really doesn't have many high priced players yet we're not in the shape of teams like the Eagles, Browns, etc who have a ton more cap space then we do. He's not very creative on balancing the cap and structuring the salaries over the contract. Any amounts and the final word goes through Nix and other higher ups though.

There are many teams that have many high priced players under contract and have more or right around the same level of cap room that we do. Either that or they are still able to keep their core together with many high priced contracts.

The Bills have been awful team for years and still in this shape. What the heck would we do if we were good and actually did have a ton of good drafts and had to re-sign the core to big money contracts and other higher priced FA's? We will be right up to the cap at the end of the year when the only huge big money contract we have is the horrible contract they gave to Mario Williams. Even if we did have a lot of good players we couldn't keep hardly any of them around to actually build a team. All that and we don't even have a franchise QB making 20 million a year like other teams do.

There isn't any creativity in structuring and planning ahead with their salary cap. We have numerous players that wouldn't start anywhere else that we pay 3-6 million a year for instead of using draft picks for a million a year to fill them voids and most of the time end up with better players. This has more to do with the lousy front office and even worse the ownership. The Bills need to spend some "cap space" but they don't want to end up spending more then that so they sign a bunch of average players that they don't have to commit a ton of bonus and guaranteed money to.

Just because there is a cap doesn't mean that there isn't any teams that end up spending more then that. That's just a cap figure and when you have players with larger bonuses and guaranteed money that's spread out over years as opposed to playing it year by year then them other teams are spending far more in actual money over the years.

BillsFever21
03-13-2013, 04:06 PM
Yeah, he does. Overdorf also negotiates with other teams about trades. If Nix targets a guy he would like to trade for, he tells Overdorf & Overdorf takes it from there.

If that's the case then they are even more of a screwed up front office then previously thought. Once again even though Overdorf might do the dirty work but he is given a figure to work with by Nix. It's not like if Nix says I want to trade for Anquan Boldin go and get it done without giving Overdorf a limit to work with and approving any final decision. It's not like Overdorf would come back and say we got him for a 2nd round draft pick and it's all good from there. He is given the parameters to work with and any final say goes through the GM.

That's like if you need a lawyer or an agent to write a will or purchase/draw up a contract for a property purchase. The lawyer doesn't decide on how you are going to allocate your assets to those listed in your will and the agent doesn't decide on how much you pay. The lawyer writes up the contract and the agent negotiates based on what you're willing to pay but they don't make that decision for you.

Nothing would surprise me with this amateur ran front office though. Old man Nix is about as worthless as they come as a GM. There is a reason why he never got a GM gig until the Bills offered him one at 70 years old.

better days
03-13-2013, 04:28 PM
If that's the case then they are even more of a screwed up front office then previously thought. Once again even though Overdorf might do the dirty work but he is given a figure to work with by Nix. It's not like if Nix says I want to trade for Anquan Boldin go and get it done without giving Overdorf a limit to work with and approving any final decision. It's not like Overdorf would come back and say we got him for a 2nd round draft pick and it's all good from there. He is given the parameters to work with and any final say goes through the GM.

That's like if you need a lawyer or an agent to write a will or purchase/draw up a contract for a property purchase. The lawyer doesn't decide on how you are going to allocate your assets to those listed in your will and the agent doesn't decide on how much you pay. The lawyer writes up the contract and the agent negotiates based on what you're willing to pay but they don't make that decision for you.

Nothing would surprise me with this amateur ran front office though. Old man Nix is about as worthless as they come as a GM. There is a reason why he never got a GM gig until the Bills offered him one at 70 years old.

I agree that Nix has his limitations as a GM. I view him more as a Super Scout than a full service GM like Donahue myself. My understanding of the front office is Brandon now has final say over everything. Nix is in charge of players including drafting, signing FA's, waiver claims & trades. Overdorf controls finances. I would imagine Nix tells him what he thinks a guy is worth & Overdorf gets the deal done.

SABURZFAN
03-15-2013, 04:14 PM
Speaking of Lickers, Yordad's mom just left my basemen for the first time in a week. The chrome on the trailor hitch wouldn't have a chance.

Yormom just left mine too. :snicker: