PDA

View Full Version : Rumor -PFC: Bills talking contract with Brandon Gibson

Slim
03-12-2013, 04:39 PM
Per twitter.

YardRat
03-12-2013, 04:41 PM
Meh. Would rather have Barden or Murphy.

X-Era
03-12-2013, 05:12 PM
At the right price I'd like him... I mean maybe a contract at 5 or 6 mill per is possible.

NOT THE DUDE...
03-12-2013, 05:23 PM
not a bad number 2. plus with a new qb with a real arm we can get graham the ball deep... im sure we will draft another wr too...

IlluminatusUIUC
03-12-2013, 06:06 PM
At the right price I'd like him... I mean maybe a contract at 5 or 6 mill per is possible.

I hope to god you aren't talking about giving Brandon Gibson 5 to 6 million a year. His best season is barely better than David Nelson's.

EDS
03-12-2013, 06:15 PM

Are you nuts? I would struggle with giving him $6 million for a three year deal.

X-Era
03-12-2013, 06:20 PM
I hope to god you aren't talking about giving Brandon Gibson 5 to 6 million a year. His best season is barely better than David Nelson's.That's the cost for a #2 WR. Nelson was never a #2 WR.

They would be paying him that based on him being our #2. It's Hartline money:
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1559025-breaking-down-brian-hartlines-new-contract-with-the-dolphins

If it's strictly a #3 WR spot, it should be like 3 mill per.

The Jokeman
03-12-2013, 06:53 PM

Gibson is the tops of my list followed by Murphy, Heyward-Bey, Doucet, Massaquoi and lastly Barden.

The Jokeman
03-12-2013, 06:57 PM
I hope to god you aren't talking about giving Brandon Gibson 5 to 6 million a year. His best season is barely better than David Nelson's.

Yet Gibson isn't coming off an ACL injury.

X-Era
03-12-2013, 07:01 PM
Gibson is the tops of my list followed by Murphy, Heyward-Bey, Doucet, Massaquoi and lastly Barden.I agree. If were not paying #1 WR money, he would be at the top of my list in the next tier.

EDS
03-12-2013, 07:01 PM
That's the cost for a #2 WR. Nelson was never a #2 WR.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1559025-breaking-down-brian-hartlines-new-contract-with-the-dolphins

Hartline was a 1,000 yard receiver last season! Gibson is a back-up.

The Jokeman
03-12-2013, 07:07 PM

I did some quick counting at http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/stats/byposition?pos=WR and if did it right that ranks Gibson 47th in the NFL in receiving yards. If you judge 32 teams to have two starting receivers that would put him on the mid range #2s. Hardly a backup.

X-Era
03-12-2013, 07:18 PM
Hartline was a 1,000 yard receiver last season! Gibson is a back-up.Hartline was and is a #2 WR. That was my point and it's valid.

I'm not saying Gibson deserves #2 WR money based on his previous stats. But the Bills may view him as a #2 WR and sign him accordingly.

Mahdi
03-12-2013, 07:49 PM
Hartline was and is a #2 WR. That was my point and it's valid.

I'm not saying Gibson deserves #2 WR money based on his previous stats. But the Bills may view him as a #2 WR and sign him accordingly.

I actually think the Bills view him as a #3. I think they will address #2 in FA or draft. Buddy and Marrone are not dumb enough to take a guy with no speed and not much size and call him a #2.

The Jokeman
03-12-2013, 08:04 PM
I actually think the Bills view him as a #3. I think they will address #2 in FA or draft. Buddy and Marrone are not dumb enough to take a guy with no speed and not much size and call him a #2.

Gibson averaged 0.1 yards less than Dwayne Bowe did last season. He also had the same YPC as Stevie Johnson and Jacoby Jones did. Infact it was better than Mike Wallace per http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/stats/byposition?pos=WR&conference=NFL&year=season_2012&sort=45&timeframe=ToDate Granted he doesn't have the break away speed that Wallace has but few NFL receivers do. He does have deceptive speed. His career YPC is 1.2 better than Donald Jones' and 0.9 better than David Nelsons. The truth is the roots of Marone's passing attack is the WCO which is not a deep passing game but instead a pinpoint move the chains type offense etc. I've stated numerous times Gibson fits in that type of mold and frankly people spewing hate on his game without looking at things more closely. From NFL.com draft profile:

Positives: Legitimate NFL size. Good height and has the frame to handle NFL punishment. Has the quickness, bulk and strength to fight through the jam at the line of scrimmage. At least adequate straight-line speed to challenge defenders deep. Can track the ball over either shoulder. Can sink his hips, stick his foot in the ground and explode out his breaks, creating separation against even the best of cornerbacks. Soft hands and can snatch the ball out of the air. Good body control to contort his body and make the tough catch in traffic. Courageous over the middle. Effective red-zone target. Cognizant downfield blocker. Showed good toughness last year fighting through knee and heal injuries. Three-year kick returner. Negatives: Possesses good, not great deep speed. Demonstrates good overall athleticism, but doesn't consistently produce yards after the catch.

X-Era
03-12-2013, 08:06 PM
Gibson averaged 0.1 yards less than Dwayne Bowe did last season. He also had the same YPC as Stevie Johnson and Jacoby Jones did. Infact it was better than Mike Wallace per http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/stats/byposition?pos=WR&conference=NFL&year=season_2012&sort=45&timeframe=ToDate Granted he doesn't have the break away speed that Wallace has but few NFL receivers do. He does have deceptive speed. His career YPC is 1.2 better than Donald Jones' and 0.9 better than David Nelsons. The truth is the roots of Marone's passing attack is the WCO which is not a deep passing game but instead a pinpoint move the chains type offense etc. I've stated numerous times Gibson fits in that type of mold and frankly people spewing hate on his game without looking at things more closely. From NFL.com draft profile:Is it analytics at work?

That is what someone looking to make sense of a contract would want to know

The Jokeman
03-12-2013, 08:12 PM
Is it analytics at work?

That is what someone looking to make sense of a contract would want to know

I analyze things yes and an Oakland A's fan so I guess you could call in analytics. Yet I'm no agent but do play a mock GM from time to time.

IlluminatusUIUC
03-12-2013, 08:32 PM
That's the cost for a #2 WR. Nelson was never a #2 WR.

Gibson is not a #2 and we already have a #3. Remember Graham?

Yet Gibson isn't coming off an ACL injury.

Nobody's ever recovered from an ACL injury before. Especially not one suffered in September.

But I understand the thinking. Why would we tender a guy at the minimum to see if his knee healed, when we can find a guy who has almost the exact same stats on his best day but pay him four times as much?

It makes perfect sense.

venis2k1
03-12-2013, 08:46 PM
Buddy and Marrone are not dumb enough to take a guy with no speed and not much size and call him a #2.

History would disagree with this statement.

mjt328
03-12-2013, 10:29 PM
Gibson would be a typical Bills signing.

Overpay for a mediocre player, shove him in the starting lineup and claim they found a diamond in the rough.

Mouldsie
03-12-2013, 11:54 PM
Not a Gibson fan. He has decent hands but he struggles to get open. I would rather have Nelson and Jones... I would almost rather just plug in Marcus Easley... I would rather see what DHB wants...

Bert102176
03-13-2013, 01:28 AM
Yeah when we should be talking to Massaquoi and Avery, Barden

Mike
03-13-2013, 02:22 AM

Bills are ******ed. They might end up spending 10M total for a 4th string CB & a 3rd string WR while letting their top guard go. Lol and we wonder why they suck!

DBrown77
03-13-2013, 07:02 AM
Sounds like it didnt work out. He is visiting the Jets and maybe the Dolphins today. I cant see the Dolphins spending more money on another WR though.

DraftBoy
03-13-2013, 07:45 AM
Sounds like it didnt work out. He is visiting the Jets and maybe the Dolphins today. I cant see the Dolphins spending more money on another WR though.

Sounds like the sources for PFC were bad. No other indication that Buffalo was ever even in play.

PFC was the same site that said that he'd be a Bills target so this may have been a plant by them to cover their own self.

k-oneputt
03-13-2013, 07:53 AM
Who cares.
Brandon Gibson will not make a difference in next years record either way. We are talking about a #3 at best. You can find guys like him everywhere.

DBrown77
03-13-2013, 07:57 AM
Is PFC tied to the twitter handle @BuddyNixon? They were reporting the same thing yesterday.