PDA

View Full Version : Now That Overpay Day Has Concluded, Time To Find Some Affordable Help

Night Train
03-13-2013, 04:41 AM
Keep the long term objectives in view, with a new coach (Marrone) that needs to be given his fair shot. I expect little next season. Brandon should see this with all his raw data (analytics ). :rolleyes:

LB's,TE's,WR's,DB's...maybe 1 more vet QB like Drew Stanton (drafting a QB within the first 2 picks next month is a given)

I can see a vet type on D to help Pettine teach his D but let's get some guys primarily in their 20's that can play for a few years.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/01/07/2013-pff-free-agency-tracker/

Don't Panic
03-13-2013, 05:05 AM
Agreed that this year is a refocus year... that much is obvious now. I'd like to see us really focus and LB and WR in free agency, getting two to three above average starters to plug in at those two positions. Whatever QB we get in FA won't have much of an impact so whatever Marrone sees fit there. This team is going to have to do its damage in the draft this year... and next year. A few system fits are all we really need to pick in FA this time around. As for analytics, they may be as much the reason why Wilson, Fitzpatrick, McGhee, Levitre and whoever else doesn't get invited back are no longer here as the new coaching staff is. If that's the case, then the new approach is having a pretty significant effect.

Night Train
03-13-2013, 05:33 AM
If one clicks on the link I provided and then searches by position, there seems to be some quality players available to fill many needs. Rating system only helps. Shows how many snaps they were in on to the far right.

X-Era
03-13-2013, 05:53 AM
Keep the long term objectives in view, with a new coach (Marrone) that needs to be given his fair shot. I expect little next season. Brandon should see this with all his raw data (analytics ). :rolleyes:

LB's,TE's,WR's,DB's...maybe 1 more vet QB like Drew Stanton (drafting a QB within the first 2 picks next month is a given)

I can see a vet type on D to help Pettine teach his D but let's get some guys primarily in their 20's that can play for a few years.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/01/07/2013-pff-free-agency-tracker/
I agree.

It first glance we could look at the team and see glaring holes caused by cuts. Then it follows that we should be active to repair those holes right away and in any way possible.

But it's not prudent to just throw money at anyone who will sign.

We have to look at the value of the player to the team to weigh the cost. The truth is that none of the guys that would fit are big names. Guys like LaRon Landry even Dannel Ellerbe are not top 10 at their positions yet. Hell, even Mike Wallace is not top 5 at his position but was paid that way.

It's a fairly weak class and the middle tier is close to being as strong as the top. A smart GM will wait until much of the big money is spent and get the better value in the middle tier.

If you look at G for example. Louis Vasquez got 4 years at 23.5 mill (5.8 per). Yet Kevin Boothe is very similar in overall grade and may be signed for only 4 mill per. Waiting a day may mean getting Boothe who is just about the same in skill level and saving 1.8 mill per. Chad Rhineheart may in fact grade out to just a bit less than Boothe or even about the same yet could save us an additional 1-2 mill per and be had for 2-3 mill per. That adds up fast.

WR is another spot. Wallace got big money. But after Wallace, Welker, and Jennings sign, the next tier is the middle tier. There isn't a whole lot of difference in overall talent between the 4th guy and the 10th guy. The Bills could get a guy that hasn't become any teams #1 but is just about at #2 skill level for 4-5 mill per if they wait a bit.

If there was a prize to be had and we really needed that guy I'd be fine with dropping big coin on a guy. But with a weak market, waiting saves money.