PDA

View Full Version : Stevie Johnson wants Darrius Heyward-Bey in Buffalo

Thief
03-13-2013, 09:22 AM
The Raiders said goodbye to wide receiver Darrius Heyward-Bey (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/5093/darrius-heyward-bey) on Tuesday and it hasn’t taken long for someone to start wooing him to a new team.

Bills wide receiver Stevie Johnson (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/4962/stevie-johnson) told Josina Anderson of ESPN that he wants Heyward-Bey to make the trip (http://twenth.com/ye7543) across the country to become part of the offense in Buffalo. Johnson’s sales pitch centered on Heyward-Bey not having to do as much in the Bills offense as he was asked to do in Oakland.
“Tell DHB come be a Bill,” Johnson said. “He was stepping into that role of playmaker for his team. With me opposite him the game will be simplified a ton so he can ball out. Not that I think he needs that wide receiver opposite him anymore, but given the situation I think it’ll benefit us all.”

Per PFT

justasportsfan
03-13-2013, 09:23 AM
Hey Stevie, The bills have to actually want the players you're trying to recruit.

psubills62
03-13-2013, 09:31 AM
DHB's positive skillset would be a nice complement to Stevie. However, his negatives are a little much. He might be worth a shot depending on the price.

Pinkerton Security
03-13-2013, 09:44 AM
I'd take a shot on him, hes a pretty good player, MUCH MUCH better than Donald Jones, I'll tell you that.

Mski
03-13-2013, 09:47 AM
i'd like both him and Huff they're both HUGE upgrades over what we have on this roster already, if we're dreaming about former raiders, why not namdi too

Lexwhat
03-13-2013, 09:59 AM
When I saw he was cut yesterday, I thought of him as a realistic option for us. Good size, great speed, and some reasonable productivity in this league. Only 26 years old.

If I were the Bills, I would definitely give this a shot. No brainer to me.

trapezeus
03-13-2013, 09:59 AM
the bills continue to find former first round flameouts as answers when everyone else says no thank you. excellent.

Mski
03-13-2013, 10:02 AM
the bills continue to find former first round flameouts as answers when everyone else says no thank you. excellent.
how many "1st round flame outs" are on the current 49ers roster?

just because they flamed out in one place doesnt mean they will in another

sukie
03-13-2013, 10:03 AM
Does anyone care what player a receiver wants on his team? Really? Has Stevie ever trumpeted the want of someone far superior to the level he perceives hiomself at?

stevie: I want Fitzgerald and Megatron so I can relax into the 3rd option role! (Never gonna happen)

- - - Updated - - -

Does anyone care what player a receiver wants on his team? Really? Has Stevie ever trumpeted the want of someone far superior to the level he perceives hiomself at?

stevie: I want Fitzgerald and Megatron so I can relax into the 3rd option role! (Never gonna happen)

justasportsfan
03-13-2013, 10:04 AM

did the bills sign him?

SpikedLemonade
03-13-2013, 10:04 AM
Does Stevie have any ideas for the Bills starting QB?

trapezeus
03-13-2013, 10:23 AM
did the bills sign him?

right because they didn't have mario, vince young, shawne merriman, etc on the team at the start of last season hoping to get us all amped up.

and the culture changed, so they wouldn't possibly do the same thing that they've done for 13 straight years. Its new management with the same exact people. How could i possibly forget?

psubills62
03-13-2013, 10:40 AM
I don't think you can really attack Buffalo for this. Plenty of teams take chances on former first round picks who look like busts. It's because those players have some legit skills, and coaches often think that a change of scenery, maybe a different approach to teaching, different system, etc. can help make the difference.

Look at the Jets with Maybin. The Bears traded for Amobi Okoye. Those are just a couple off the top of my head, but first rounders get a lot more chances around the league than others, and I hardly see this as a bad thing. Especially if money was the primary reason these guys get cut.

justasportsfan
03-13-2013, 10:48 AM
right because they didn't have mario, vince young, shawne merriman, etc on the team at the start of last season hoping to get us all amped up.

and the culture changed, so they wouldn't possibly do the same thing that they've done for 13 straight years. Its new management with the same exact people. How could i possibly forget?so are you saying the bills should stand pat and do nothing ? Can't tell me no one wanted Mario and it was obvious that we had to overpay to sign him up but instead of saying the bills finally were big players in last years FA , you find a way to make it a negative. why was it a problem to bring in Young and have a look? Did he cost the team a draft pick or boat load of cash? Merriman was a risk, I'll give you that but he was wanted by the fins too if we didn't sign him.

mjt328
03-13-2013, 10:48 AM
I'm not necessarily recommending the Bills go after him with starter money, but DHB is definitely a better option than Brandon Gibson.

justasportsfan
03-13-2013, 10:50 AM
I don't think you can really attack Buffalo for this. Plenty of teams take chances on former first round picks who look like busts. It's because those players have some legit skills, and coaches often think that a change of scenery, maybe a different approach to teaching, different system, etc. can help make the difference.

Look at the Jets with Maybin. The Bears traded for Amobi Okoye. Those are just a couple off the top of my head, but first rounders get a lot more chances around the league than others, and I hardly see this as a bad thing. Especially if money was the primary reason these guys get cut.
Except for Mario it's not like the bills are paying them 1st rd. money or giving up 1st rd. picks to acquire them.

Bills are damned if they do and damned if they don't.

Saratoga Slim
03-13-2013, 11:00 AM
DHB would be a nice complement to TJ, in that he's the same player but taller. Plus, whatever schmuck of a QB we end up with will have an easy route tree to master with DHB and TJ running Go routes every play.

stuckincincy
03-13-2013, 11:51 AM

See Mike Brown - King of the "Value Picks.":

Pac-Man Jones - good, DB Nate Clements - contributed, DB Terence Newman - decent this past season, SS Taylor Mays - useless, OLB Manny Lawson - mediocre, FS Reggie Nelson -good, OLB Thomas Howard (injured) -good, DE Jamaal Anderson - injured - who knows?, DB Jason Allen - played in 4 games - useless.

Mouldsie
03-13-2013, 11:55 AM
I agree with Stevie. He's a good young player who needs a change of scenery and was just making too much money for Oakland's messy organization. He's better than Gibson and TJ Graham

IlluminatusUIUC
03-13-2013, 11:59 AM
I agree with Stevie. He's a good young player who needs a change of scenery and was just making too much money for Oakland's messy organization. He's better than Gibson and TJ Graham

Absolutely. I mean, DHB has spent the last couple years being held up as the definitive example of Al Davis' overdrafting speed while the guy everyone thought the Raiders should have drafted was playing better just across the bay. If he's willing to come to Buffalo on a reasonable deal, then I think it's definitely worth a look. A whole lot more than Gibson, that's for sure.

Night Train
03-13-2013, 12:22 PM
Blazing speed. Suspect hands.

Tread lightly.

trapezeus
03-13-2013, 12:27 PM
Except for Mario it's not like the bills are paying them 1st rd. money or giving up 1st rd. picks to acquire them.

damned when they do because they use the same people and damned when they don't because they let money cloud their judgement.

i was excited about mario. but they signed him into a team they thought was close to turning a corner. now he's in yr 2 of a huge contract and part of a rebuild. Amazing. And they only did that because they thought they solved the QB situation with Fitz. if they didn't sign him in the middle of the season like most of us warned at the time, they could have cut him when he crapped the bed that year. or signed him for nothing and been able to look.

and i get the point that 1st rounders get more chances, but bey was completely forgotten and he was stretch of a pick where he went. and he's from the raiders...a team as pathetic as we are.

justasportsfan
03-13-2013, 12:31 PM
damned when they do because they use the same people and damned when they don't because they let money cloud their judgement.

i was excited about mario. but they signed him into a team they thought was close to turning a corner. now he's in yr 2 of a huge contract and part of a rebuild. Amazing. And they only did that because they thought they solved the QB situation with Fitz. if they didn't sign him in the middle of the season like most of us warned at the time, they could have cut him when he crapped the bed that year. or signed him for nothing and been able to look.

and i get the point that 1st rounders get more chances, but bey was completely forgotten and he was stretch of a pick where he went. and he's from the raiders...a team as pathetic as we are.

It's not the bills' fault another team drafted them in the first round and once again , we're not paying them 1st rd. money or elite money.

And is that how you work? You get excited when they hire someone you like and when it doesn't pan out, they're stupid?

trapezeus
03-13-2013, 12:34 PM