PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone spin the following to be a positive

trapezeus
03-13-2013, 10:21 AM
I tweeted Russ Brandon last night that the empty gesture of culture change has made me decide to forgo season tickets this year.

Some other wanker responds, "Good, more tickets for fans."

So i thought about the changes since we announced the "change in culture" and am wondering how i am possibly missing how this team has a shot. So optimists, give it to me. point by point, how are the items below actually positives. Thanks in advance.

1. Resign a CB who returns punts well on a team that can't get teams to punt. Additionally he was so bad, we passed on collin kaepernick to pick up a. Wililams to replace him. now we are saying "he has a chance to start."
2. We resign a center who can't finish a season. but we let the guy who has always played since he was drafted at a high level in his position and filled in when our depth wasn't there.
3. Hired a coach with a .500 record in a sub par school.
4. Gave him two coordinators who never have called plays.
5. Gave that group a GM who has blown 3 drafts by cutting multiple drafted players prior to the start of the season!
6. Cut the two leading tacklers on team. Albeit not stars, they would provide depth.
7. Cut a WR who caught a lot of passes from an inaccurate passer. and when accurate passes came his way, he returned it for a TD.
8. Cut a TE coming off injury when his replacement is going on IR. He's performed well in the past and creates a huge hole at a position our old QB liked to throw to.
9. Cut that qb and now possibly had a team with no line continuity, no receivers and possibly a downgraded running game to a rookie who has widely been discussed as not day 1 starter (who are you talking about? we didn't draft anyone yet). Correct, but the knock on the draft is none of these guys are your day 1 savior. And now you just put them into a new offense with no line, no receivers and a run game that will have to adapt to a new scheme. I'm sure he won't end up a bust.
10. you've created 3-5 holes on this team by not resigning our own and we had holes to begin with. we have 6 picks because we traded up to get a guy who would have been there anyways instead of taking a QB who was one of hte best at the end of the season last year.

With all that information, how can you possibly justify that this team won't miss the playoffs for the 14th straight year.

jamze132
03-13-2013, 10:23 AM
Well to be fair, we were missing the playoffs with or without those players you mentioned.

justasportsfan
03-13-2013, 10:27 AM
With all that information, how can you possibly justify that this team won't miss the playoffs for the 14th straight year.

playoffs? I'm a homer and that word didn't even come to mind.

BADTHINGSMAN
03-13-2013, 10:28 AM
Buffalo is that tire that spins in the mud, but adds more water trying to get unstuck.

SpikedLemonade
03-13-2013, 10:30 AM
2-14

THATHURMANATOR
03-13-2013, 10:31 AM
I tweeted Russ Brandon last night that the empty gesture of culture change has made me decide to forgo season tickets this year.

So i thought about the changes since we announced the "change in culture" and am wondering how i am possibly missing how this team has a shot. So optimists, give it to me. point by point, how are the items below actually positives. Thanks in advance.

1. Resign a CB who returns punts well on a team that can't get teams to punt. Additionally he was so bad, we passed on collin kaepernick to pick up a. Wililams to replace him. now we are saying "he has a chance to start."
2. We resign a center who can't finish a season. but we let the guy who has always played since he was drafted at a high level in his position and filled in when our depth wasn't there.
5. Gave that group a GM who has blown 3 drafts by cutting multiple drafted players prior to the start of the season!
6. Cut the two leading tacklers on team. Albeit not stars, they would provide depth.
7. Cut a WR who caught a lot of passes from an inaccurate passer. and when accurate passes came his way, he returned it for a TD.
8. Cut a TE coming off injury when his replacement is going on IR. He's performed well in the past and creates a huge hole at a position our old QB liked to throw to.
9. Cut that qb and now possibly had a team with no line continuity, no receivers and possibly a downgraded running game to a rookie who has widely been discussed as not day 1 starter (who are you talking about? we didn't draft anyone yet). Correct, but the knock on the draft is none of these guys are your day 1 savior. And now you just put them into a new offense with no line, no receivers and a run game that will have to adapt to a new scheme. I'm sure he won't end up a bust.
10. you've created 3-5 holes on this team by not resigning our own and we had holes to begin with. we have 6 picks because we traded up to get a guy who would have been there anyways instead of taking a QB who was one of hte best at the end of the season last year.

What do you want an award for not being a fan anymore?

You are allowed to not buy tickets and to announce it to Russ Brandon via twitter. We are allowed to say "Good more tickets for fans"

OpIv37
03-13-2013, 10:40 AM
I don't disagree with any of that but I think I missed something. Which TE did we cut?

Bangarang
03-13-2013, 10:42 AM
Hackett and Pettine have never called plays? That's news to me.

We cut a productive TE? Who?

DraftBoy
03-13-2013, 10:45 AM

I'm far from an optimist but here is an interpretation;
1. He also returns kicks and was very good in the slot last year
2. Injury is always a concern but when healthy he's been good
3. Did you see Cuse before Marrone?
4. False, Pettine has play calling experience
5. I think Nix is more GM in name than in actual duties currently, sounds like Whaley is in charge now
6. Tackling stats mean next to nothing
7. Was never going to be a fit in the new scheme
8. Meh
9. I'd say Geno could easily start on Day 1, but Jackson isn't a bad option either. He showed real growth in Seattle pre-injury
10. I'd argue you haven't created a single hole yet

We should, key word, get an extra 7th in comp.

trapezeus
03-13-2013, 10:48 AM
What do you want an award for not being a fan anymore?

You are allowed to not buy tickets and to announce it to Russ Brandon via twitter. We are allowed to say "Good more tickets for fans"

you aren't fans...you are delusional. they will keep doing this. and now that we don't have to fear they'll move the team, they should be stuck with an empty stadium. They have provided us nothing but the same crap sandwich.

Generalissimus Gibby
03-13-2013, 10:51 AM
I have us at 3-13 this year. This is the fire sale that we've needed for years.

trapezeus
03-13-2013, 10:52 AM
I don't disagree with any of that but I think I missed something. Which TE did we cut?

i thought of nelson as a TE hybrid because he would come off the line. i see he is officially listed as a WR. I still thought him and chandler together were good as big bodies. but now we really have no big body who is dependable unless chandler really heals fast in physical therapy.

justasportsfan
03-13-2013, 10:54 AM
you aren't fans...you are delusional.

fans are delusional to a degree, that's why they are fanatics.

THATHURMANATOR
03-13-2013, 11:01 AM
you aren't fans...you are delusional. they will keep doing this. and now that we don't have to fear they'll move the team, they should be stuck with an empty stadium. They have provided us nothing but the same crap sandwich.

I am whatever I want to be. Who are you to say?

I am not disagreeing with you not buying tickets in any way either.

We all do what we want to do. I am a HUGE Bills fan... What do you have to say about that?

Saratoga Slim
03-13-2013, 11:04 AM
2-14

I am not totally averse to that if it means we can FINALLY get a QB. We are where we are because we haven't had a franchise QB in 20 years. That's well and truly the difference between the front office and coaching staff looking good . . . or looking like they do. All front offices make mistakes, but the ones who have Aaron Rodgers, Tom Brady, a Manning etc. at the helm get away with a lot more of them.

Please God don't draft a QB at 8 this year.

SpikedLemonade
03-13-2013, 11:07 AM
I have us at 3-13 this year. This is the fire sale that we've needed for years.

Agreed.

I hope with the improvement of KC, Miami and the Browns, that we can be 2-14 to get the 1st pick overall.

venis2k1
03-13-2013, 11:08 AM
I understand its been a long painful time for all of us fans.

However, when you sent that tweet we were maybe 4 hours into FA and still a month and a half away from the draft. Maybe a bit premature to call the "culture change" a failure?

However, i got nothing better to do so ill play your game.

1. Resign a CB who returns punts well on a team that can't get teams to punt. Additionally he was so bad, we passed on collin kaepernick to pick up a. Wililams to replace him. now we are saying "he has a chance to start." Flip that and reverse it. We resigned a kick returner(who happens to be among the best in the league btw) and also offers value as a reserve corner to a somewhat reasonable contract
2. We resign a center who can't finish a season. but we let the guy who has always played since he was drafted at a high level in his position and filled in when our depth wasn't there.when did we resign Wood?
3. Hired a coach with a .500 record in a sub par school.This is a valid point.
4. Gave him two coordinators who never have called plays.Mike Pettine did call plays and has a long history of success. Hackett makes me nervous however
5. Gave that group a GM who has blown 3 drafts by cutting multiple drafted players prior to the start of the season!Im not really sure what your trying to say here.
6. Cut the two leading tacklers on team. Albeit not stars, they would provide depth.Also the Defenses oldest players right? Trying to get younger and better on defense(because what we have been doing the last few years clearly has not been working)
7. Cut a WR who caught a lot of passes from an inaccurate passer. and when accurate passes came his way, he returned it for a TD. Jones??? really, your complaining that we didnt tender Jones?
8. Cut a TE coming off injury when his replacement is going on IR. He's performed well in the past and creates a huge hole at a position our old QB liked to throw to . again, no idea what your talking about
9. Cut that qb and now possibly had a team with no line continuity, no receivers and possibly a downgraded running game to a rookie who has widely been discussed as not day 1 starter (who are you talking about? we didn't draft anyone yet). Correct, but the knock on the draft is none of these guys are your day 1 savior. And now you just put them into a new offense with no line, no receivers and a run game that will have to adapt to a new scheme. I'm sure he won't end up a bust. So your arguing we should have kept Fitz? Or your upset that the team and a rookie have to learn a new scheme under a new headcoach?
10. you've created 3-5 holes on this team by not resigning our own and we had holes to begin with. we have 6 picks because we traded up to get a guy who would have been there anyways instead of taking a QB who was one of hte best at the end of the season last year. Wilson?? Come on man. Thats like being pissed the bills didnt take brady in the 6th round back in 2000) Also, we has 6 picks because we traded for Jackson in TC.

With that said, there is almost no way we get the playoffs next year. 2% chance maybe.

But if we are smart, we can build a team that can be good over the long haul.

justasportsfan
03-13-2013, 11:32 AM
We kept 1 mediocre cb (but excellent return man) and let go of 2 below average players in Jones and Fitz yet it's a problem. Maybe we should have kept below average players and trap would have kept his season tickets?

cookie G
03-13-2013, 11:39 AM
Free Turkey Hill Ice Cream for the first 5,000 in attendance!!

Well, you wanted a positive spin, and that's what David Glass does with the Royals.

coastal
03-13-2013, 11:53 AM
Positive spin?

i can focus on other things?

Pinkerton Security
03-13-2013, 12:07 PM

If the Bills are stressing you out this much, GET OFF OF THEIR MESSAGE BOARDS AND GET A LIFE YOU FORUM HERO. As much as you idiots complain, you still dont do anything except talk. Back up your stupid chat room BS and actually quit, I dare you.

trapezeus
03-13-2013, 12:11 PM

However, when you sent that tweet we were maybe 4 hours into FA and still a month and a half away from the draft. Maybe a bit premature to call the "culture change" a failure?

With that said, there is almost no way we get the playoffs next year. 2% chance maybe.

point 5 just gets at that the GM hasn't found us depth over last 3 years. and it think its foolish and part of the culture that the bills say "oh whaley has been sitting silently doing nothing. so when he takes over it'll be totally different. Guy has been here a while in a senior capacity. if he isn't pushing to get the players he thinks is best and or is so diametrically opposed ot what nix has been saying, why would we want him andor why was he here.

They aren't capable of getting the diamonds in the ruff that a playoff team inherently needs.

and its' not just 4 hours of FA...it is from the moment they canned gailey. they are trying to say everything is different, but do everything the exact same when they cut mularkey and cleared house using russ and marv. then they cut jauron and use russ to find nix. and then they promote russ to keep nix and say "it's different."

Do they think we are idiots? I'm fine cutting fitz. but they should have held onto jones and nelson. they would be cheaper and you'd see how they'd perform with better QB accuraacy. then you can gut the WR corp.

Why wouldn't you overpay for levtrie to keep the run game in tact so that a newbie didn't have to find out he has to do it all himself? They aren't building a future teams, they are repeating the past mistakes. and russ brandon and company never take the criticism they should.

My hometown deserves a lot better than what we've been getting.

trapezeus
03-13-2013, 12:12 PM
We kept 1 mediocre cb (but excellent return man) and let go of 2 below average players in Jones and Fitz yet it's a problem. Maybe we should have kept below average players and trap would have kept his season tickets?

if they parted ways with russ and showed they were committed to get better, i would have stayed as a season ticket holder and watched how a team could be molded to be better.

With the exact same front office and a sideways coaching change, i already know the results.

psubills62
03-13-2013, 12:21 PM
We're supposed to justify that the team won't miss the playoffs? Well then I'm out. No way they make the playoffs this year.

I don't agree with everything they've done lately, but as DB pointed out, some of these things are hardly things to get upset over and at least one is just plain wrong. We've needed upgrades in talent in various positions (e.g. wide receiver) for who knows how long. Given that two of the guys you're complaining about were UDFA's, why can't we just replace them with other UDFA's?

At this point, the only thing I want to see this season is good coaching. We're talking adjustments in-game, in-season, we're talking appropriate utilization of players, we're talking play calls and schemes that actually help strengthen the talent we do have. Those sorts of things.

We're not getting to the playoffs this year, but if we can see some signs of life from the coaches, then I'll be on board. If, instead, we see Marrone mimicking Gailey and drafting a couple guys and then acting like he has no idea what to do with them (Moats, Batten), then it will be another long 6 years (3 with Marrone and 3 more to rebuild under the next coach).

justasportsfan
03-13-2013, 12:25 PM
if they parted ways with russ and showed they were committed to get better, i would have stayed as a season ticket holder and watched how a team could be molded to be better.

With the exact same front office and a sideways coaching change, i already know the results.

Still complaining about Russ even though you have no proof he made personnel decisions. Why is it that all the top available coaches this year interviewed with the bills this year when no one wanted to when we hired Gailey if Russ was the one in charge then?

We made sideways coaching? You have results to back that up ? So it's sideways when no one wanted Chan and we got a coach that people actually showed interest in Marrone?

Lone Stranger
03-13-2013, 12:40 PM

I don't want to be critical but what have we been doing for the past 13 years. WE CAN BUILD A TEAM???? This whole scenario is depressing. Whatever plan the Bills seem to have continues to go astray to say the least.

venis2k1
03-13-2013, 12:53 PM
My hometown deserves a lot better than what we've been getting.

I dont think anyone can argue that point.

OpIv37
03-13-2013, 12:54 PM
If the Bills are stressing you out this much, GET OFF OF THEIR MESSAGE BOARDS AND GET A LIFE YOU FORUM HERO. As much as you idiots complain, you still dont do anything except talk. Back up your stupid chat room BS and actually quit, I dare you.

Real fans stick by the team even when they are down.

Your post wreaks of "I have to mind-**** myself into thinking the team is better than they are, because if I was like trap and realized how bad they are, I'd have to quit being a fan."

bf1
03-13-2013, 12:55 PM
"Stay the course."
- Bubbling Buddy Nix

trapezeus
03-13-2013, 01:00 PM
Still complaining about Russ even though you have no proof he made personnel decisions. Why is it that all the top available coaches this year interviewed with the bills this year when no one wanted to when we hired Gailey if Russ was the one in charge then?

We made sideways coaching? You have results to back that up ? So it's sideways when no one wanted Chan and we got a coach that people actually showed interest in Marrone?

you can continue to be a russ apologist. just let me know when you've seen enough. i see that 13 years isnt' enough for you. Perhaps you are really darcy and want an additional 2 years to really know if russ is worthy of being a top executive.

if the bills canned him, he would not be part of a single NFL team's plans. ever. even with the turnover.

It's obtuse to think that he just sat in the marketing department when he was literally made the GM at one point.

marrone could be good. i think he has a good background. i just don't think he is being aided in personell. which at the end of the day is what htis team needs. a couple stars and a whole lot of good players who can come in when needed.

trapezeus
03-13-2013, 01:03 PM

Your post wreaks of "I have to mind-**** myself into thinking the team is better than they are, because if I was like trap and realized how bad they are, I'd have to quit being a fan."

even worse is that the whole reason we keep supoprting them is so they don't move. that was priority one. give us whatever crap but don't take our team. now they locked themselves in....this is the year we should be demanding change because in 3 years when this doesn't work, we'll be in a ST lease situation again worried about our team moving. which means i'll be right back at hte window buying tickets to save our team.

they couldn't make it clearer that they don't care about the fans. Everyone but the secretary pool and field help should have been fired after the jets game. and a search for a top GM/CEO should have been taken care of. but since we have an old guy who can't travel, he needs his smithers to do his bidding.a nd because smithers knows he'll get fired if he finds anyone remotely competent, he keeps up this charade

OLDSRIP
03-13-2013, 01:08 PM
I get the op's frustration. But one thing I don't get is that you want the culture change Russ said was going to happen. But you are upset that they are getting rid of people. You can't change the culture if you don't change the people.

If the changes they are making are the right ones. That's a different conversation. And only time will tell if they work.
in the meantime, I will sit back and watch and hope. But they sure have a long way to go.

The Toe Show
03-13-2013, 01:18 PM
Who would have thought that culture change would include changes?

Why isn't this team winning yet?!!

GAHHWD!

justasportsfan
03-13-2013, 01:20 PM
you can continue to be a russ apologist. just let me know when you've seen enough. i see that 13 years isnt' enough for you.I'm an apologist because I want proof of your claims ? So far with all your blaming Russ you haven't brought anything significant that he made decisions other than marketing.

Perhaps you are really darcy and want an additional 2 years to really know if russ is worthy of being a top executive..

I don't follow hockey so this means nothing.

marrone could be good. i think he has a good background. i just don't think he is being aided in personell. which at the end of the day is what htis team needs. a couple stars and a whole lot of good players who can come in when needed. I agree with you on Marrone but Russ did hire Marrone so what is it? Bad decision or COULD be a good hire.

The bills are not the only players in FA. Other teams have better caps. All I'm saying is let's see how Russ' first year as the CEO pans out before we call for his head.

I think you're just bitter that you bought season tickets through the years and are blaming Russ for your decision to do so. Marketing genius if you ask me.

trapezeus
03-13-2013, 01:28 PM
all i wanted as the season fell apart was to have a new organization from top to bottom without Russ Brandon. And he was given more power and the changes they are making are more likely to fail because they always have when he's involved.

marrone i think is going to fail in buffalo because he has a GM structure that won't do him any favors. No one held a gun to Nix's head to sign fitz (i know justa will want proof) but now he complains its an issue. The problems at the top are what are causing these mind numbing on field issues.

everytime they have a player or two, they trade them or let them walk and say, "we're trying something else."

OpIv37
03-13-2013, 01:32 PM
I get the op's frustration. But one thing I don't get is that you want the culture change Russ said was going to happen. But you are upset that they are getting rid of people. You can't change the culture if you don't change the people.

If the changes they are making are the right ones. That's a different conversation. And only time will tell if they work.
in the meantime, I will sit back and watch and hope. But they sure have a long way to go.

Who would have thought that culture change would include changes?

Why isn't this team winning yet?!!

GAHHWD!

The point the two of you are missing is that cultural change cannot and will not happen as long as guys like Russ and Nix are still affiliated with the team. This team has been in a downward spiral since Nix took over, and we got worse in the last 24 hours.

justasportsfan
03-13-2013, 01:38 PM
everytime they have a player or two, they trade them or let them walk and say, "we're trying something else."

so you're ok with keeping what doesn't work?

You found a problem with cutting Fitz and Donald Jones who haven't produced.

Pinkerton Security
03-13-2013, 01:44 PM

You made my point. Hes not a real fan.

And the annoying posts are the ones that "reek" (not wreak) of the pompous "I talk a lot on Billszone.com so therefore I know more about football than you."

My main point is, get over yourselves. I know we're bad, I just don't let it bother me.

trapezeus
03-13-2013, 01:57 PM
You made my point. Hes not a real fan.

And the annoying posts are the ones that "reek" (not wreak) of the pompous "I talk a lot on Billszone.com so therefore I know more about football than you."

My main point is, get over yourselves. I know we're bad, I just don't let it bother me.

which by definitition means YOU aren't the fan/Fanatical about the team. if you don't care that they routinely suck and make a mockery of our area, then you're a stronger person than me. i sit in an area where all i get is moron boston fans and annoying new york fans having one more thing to laud over the buffalo region.

we actually know these changes implemented by the management team will be dead on arrival.

and to justa, i was fine cutting fitz. what the hell took them so long to do it? "you're a nice guy. but its not working." why even hold him til the last day? and if you were going to have a decimated line, then keeping fitz while a young guy avoids getting killed would have been a nice option to have.

Now they are forced to take some line men. and what positions will be sacrificed for that? WR? LB? CB (****ing again)? And with no real teeth in free agency, they haven't shored up depth.

but everyone, it'll be ok. uncle russ said it would be.

cookie G
03-13-2013, 02:01 PM
and its' not just 4 hours of FA...it is from the moment they canned gailey. they are trying to say everything is different, but do everything the exact same when they cut mularkey and cleared house using russ and marv. then they cut jauron and use russ to find nix. and then they promote russ to keep nix and say "it's different."

No, it isn't different...really.

The first tip off was Russ babblering on about "leaving no stone unturned" in regards to the coaching search

After a few days and 3 interviews (no coach from a playoff team was interviewed), he plopped himself back down in front of the cameras, announced that he'd hired his next door neighbor and talked about the "thorough and exhaustive" search that was conducted.

This was of course, after he said he wouldn't be involved in the football decisions.

This is what he does, this is who he is. Accept it. His "I'm sick and tired of losing and we're going to do everything we can to turn this team around" rhetoric is taken right out of David Glass' Kansas City Royals press kit. He comes out and says that every 2-3 years. Most have long ignored him, but a few still believe him.

Yeah, I agree, the city does deserve better than this..but I don't see it happening with him having unlimited power.

Mr. Pink
03-13-2013, 02:03 PM
This all needed to be bottomed out a decade ago. Instead we just kept plugging in holes here and there to stay mediocre.

This team has various holes that existed long before a few days ago.

As DB said I don't know if another hole was actually created between the end of last season and today. Maybe Guard. But we weren't keeping Levitre regardless.

justasportsfan
03-13-2013, 02:10 PM
and to justa, i was fine cutting fitz. what the hell took them so long to do it? "you're a nice guy. but its not working." why even hold him til the last day? and if you were going to have a decimated line, then keeping fitz while a young guy avoids getting killed would have been a nice option to have.

well you listed him and wanted people to find a positive in cutting him. If you are fine with cutting him then don't you think that you should be thanking Russ for doing so ? Wait I get it, instead of giving props to Russ for doing so, you're switching it to "taking so long to do it" . You took something you're fine with and turned it into a whine.

And if it took too long, it could be because they wanted to see if Fitz would restructure and I don't have a problem with that.

kishoph
03-13-2013, 02:14 PM
I am not totally averse to that if it means we can FINALLY get a QB. We are where we are because we haven't had a franchise QB in 20 years. That's well and truly the difference between the front office and coaching staff looking good . . . or looking like they do. All front offices make mistakes, but the ones who have Aaron Rodgers, Tom Brady, a Manning etc. at the helm get away with a lot more of them.

Please God don't draft a QB at 8 this year.

You obviously know how important the QB is to the success of the team, yet you don't want to take a chance drafting one with our 1st pick. There's no sure way to tell if a QB coming out of college is going to succeed in the NFL or not, just because some "experts" say there isn't a QB worth a 1st round pick, doesn't mean that there isn't one. Russell Wilson went 11 picks into the 3rd round, would he have not been worth the #8 pick ? Colin Kaepernick went 4 picks into the 2nd round, would he have been worth the 8th pick ? Very rarely do you get the "sure thing" with a pick, such as Andrew Luck and even when everyone thinks it's a sure thing, you end up with a JaMarcus Russell. Sometimes you have to take a chance. If we don't grab a QB, I know we'll be reading somewhere on the boards in 2 years, "we should of took so and so, I can't believe that Nix didn't draft him, Nix sucks."

Mr. Pink
03-13-2013, 02:16 PM
You obviously know how important the QB is to the success of the team, yet you don't want to take a chance drafting one with our 1st pick. There's no sure way to tell if a QB coming out of college is going to succeed in the NFL or not, just because some "experts" say there isn't a QB worth a 1st round pick, doesn't mean that there isn't one. Russell Wilson went 11 picks into the 3rd round, would he have not been worth the #8 pick ? Colin Kaepernick went 4 picks into the 2nd round, would he have been worth the 8th pick ? Very rarely do you get the "sure thing" with a pick, such as Andrew Luck and even when everyone things it's a sure thing, you end up with a JaMarcus Russell. Sometimes you have to take a chance. If we don't grab a QB, I know we'll be reading somewhere on the boards in 2 years, "we should of took so and so, I can't believe that Nix didn't draft him, Nix sucks."

Or you end up with Ryan Leaf instead of Peyton Manning.

Back then scouts and many others were saying Leaf had more upside than Manning.

It's all a crapshoot but you need to try to roll the dice once in a while instead of just hoping someone else's castoff will get the job done.

OLDSRIP
03-13-2013, 02:55 PM
The point the two of you are missing is that cultural change cannot and will not happen as long as guys like Russ and Nix are still affiliated with the team. This team has been in a downward spiral since Nix took over, and we got worse in the last 24 hours.

OPIV, maybe, maybe not. That is an opinion. Only time will tell. Many changes have been and more will be made before a single game is played.
I get that they are a mess right now. But they we're a mess last year too.
They have a lot to prove no doubt.
I really don't think anyone who left is going to be hard to replace. Other than Levetrie. But that is a lot of money for a guard. Fitz had to go. Who else was a top level player?
personaly, I think Gailey was the biggest problem. I am hoping coaching is going to make a big difference.

BertSquirtgum
03-13-2013, 03:10 PM
I renewed my season tickets. I don't care if we suck, I love going to the games. This will be my 12th year. I am a glutton for punishment though. Abused wife syndrome here.

Generalissimus Gibby
03-13-2013, 03:21 PM

Can't promise that I will succeed, but I'll give it a shot.

Leodis knows has learned how to not fumble the ball on kickoff and punt returns which means that he is improving his status as a kicking team player. Also, when he picks off the ball he can score tds. Oh, and by signing him at least we are over the fetish of selecting dbs in the first round for a while at least. As for Kaepernick, did we really know that he would be a crucial piece in the Niner's championship puzzle last year and did he make the niners better or did their talent make him look better? Finally about Kaepernick, would he have been able to do here what he did in San Fran? Or would he have been yet another qb who we've destroyed?

But hey when he is healthy Wood is a great center. Perhaps if we give him titanium legs then he won't be injured anymore?

But "he turned around a terrible program and made them bowl eligible." Sure Cuse never made the Rose Bowl under him but he reinstalled discipline and just maybe he'll be a college coach who will actually be a good pro HC and not like Spurrier, Nolan, and Saban.

George Halas' first coordinators had no prior experience in play calling and the twenties era Bears did fine.

Most of the players he cut were garbage anyways as we haven't had anything near competence since Butler ran the show, and even his last couple drafts and offseasons set up the decade of fail we witnessed in the 2000s.

Have to gut the losing culture by nixing the players who contributed to our losing culture. Of course if you wanted to do that you'd have to fire everyone in the front office and on the coaching staff, and cut every single player besides Spiller, Joker, Kyle, and Byrd but I'm just saying.

Its unpopular to say, but Joker would be a second receiver on most teams. We need a first strike WR and have Stevie in second

The problem with our TEs is that if you combine their abilities you have a great TE but separately they are substandard.

Fitz needed to be told to hit the bricks after we collapsed in 2011.

Graham showed promise last year and if we could get a qb who was capable of actually throwing the ball for any distance he would have looked greater.

Anyone who thinks that we would have made the post season next year without letting any of the . . . uh . . . "talent" . . . that we let go this offseason is equally foolish. I actually want them to write off this season and burn the whole show to the ground. I want a complete implosion. My D will be evaluated to see who is worth keeping. This is Marcel and Mario's year to prove we weren't terribly deceived. Also I want us to draft the best available LB to do something at that position. I want us to draft a TE, an OL, and a WR. Then in the fifth round or later I want us to draft a qb to develop. Then next year, when we have a crop of qbs that looks much stronger than this year's, I want us to be in position to draft a qb with the first pick. I can only justify this team's moves if we are playoff eligible within the next two or three years.

BADTHINGSMAN
03-13-2013, 11:16 PM

That is exactly it, a friend of mine said the Bills are like a car that ran out of gas. Instead of filling the tank back up, they change the battery and claim it will work.

better days
03-13-2013, 11:32 PM
well you listed him and wanted people to find a positive in cutting him. If you are fine with cutting him then don't you think that you should be thanking Russ for doing so ? Wait I get it, instead of giving props to Russ for doing so, you're switching it to "taking so long to do it" . You took something you're fine with and turned it into a whine.

And if it took too long, it could be because they wanted to see if Fitz would restructure and I don't have a problem with that.

The reason the Bills waited so long is due to the cap. By cutting him when they did, the Bills can designate Fitz as a June cut even though they cut him early. As such, they can have $3 Million in dead money this year & $7 Million in dead money next year. If the Bills had cut him sooner, they would have been on the hook for the entire $10 Million this year.

Mike
03-14-2013, 01:22 AM

They are shooting for the number 1 pick next year and maybe the year after and hoping to draft the next stud QB.

Only way this makes sense, pure and simple the Bills see that they need to bottom out.

If they have the top pick next year no one will blame the coach -as it will be blamed on previous regime- and they might be able to draft a real QB

elltrain22
03-14-2013, 05:27 AM
Great post! I can't disagree with much you write! It's going to be a very long year, and on paper, so far, we're easily one of the worst teams in the league going into this season.
The only positive spin that I can put on all of this that has (or hasn't) happened this offseason is that maybe we'll be so bad next year, that we'll get the 1st, 2nd, or 3rd pick in the draft. Thats about the only thing thats keeping me from being interested.

Night Train
03-14-2013, 08:20 AM
Did anyone else see believe we had a shot at the playoffs in 2013 ? I sure as hell didn't.

New coach + new schemes = Rebuild

The key to my optimism is doing the right things long term in order to eacape this current yearly practice of selling false hope.

Bills aren't hopeless on the OL if they find a replacement OG and the DL does have talent. Now to shore up the other positions.

Is that realistic ? Probably more so than most.

So if you catch me saying something positive, it's not because I'm some blind homer drinking the kool-aid and seeing 10 wins. It's seeing if the Bills are allowing Marrone to put together a long term plan and I'll give him an actual chance before throwing him over the portside wall into the sea.

I'm well aware of the past, so spare me the history lesson.

SABURZFAN
03-14-2013, 05:12 PM
I am whatever I want to be. Who are you to say?

I am not disagreeing with you not buying tickets in any way either.

We all do what we want to do. I am a HUGE Bills fan... What do you have to say about that?

would you like some mustard on that crap sandwich?

The Jokeman
03-14-2013, 06:38 PM

Positive spin, it could be worse, we could be the Raiders.