PDA

View Full Version : Homer goggles

IlluminatusUIUC
03-13-2013, 11:40 AM
I'm not trying to call out a specific poster here, but the mentality I see in these posts gets repeated a lot on Bills boards. No matter what the Bills do, it gets rationalized.

Regarding Levitre (all from the same poster):

You're right, we totally shouldn't resign our lone All-pro caliber lineman who is the best run blocking guard in the league because his back-up came in and didn't completely **** the bed.

Brilliant logic there. Because you know the Bills totally aren't in the position we are now because we continue to draft and develop great talent only to let them leave once they become great. Nope. Not at all.

If we get Levitre regardless of how much we pay it's worth it, he's the key to our running attack being so successful. Anybody other than him is a massive, massive downgrade.

Levitre leaves:

Defensive end has a much more tangible impact to the game than the left guard.

That's just how it is. The Titans overpayed for him. Steve Hutchenson was an AMAZING guard. And he was still on quite a few crappy teams and never won a super bowl. I don't care if he's "our best player" (which he's not) you do not, pay a guard, 8 million dollars a season.

The god damn Patriots shoot through guards like hot cakes and never miss a freaking beat. The Saints brought in TWO top tier guards last year and STILL sucked.

A guard doesn't make a giant god damn impact on the team. A great guard is a nice thing to have, but you do not, you DO NOT, cripple the long term stability of the team to pay one 8 million god damn dollars.

I see this kind of thing over and over from different people and it boggles the mind.

PTI
03-13-2013, 11:46 AM
Funny catch

justasportsfan
03-13-2013, 11:48 AM
why are you picking on OPi?

OpIv37
03-13-2013, 11:52 AM
That wasn't me. I've never been an apologist of this team.

psubills62
03-13-2013, 12:13 PM
It's amusing to me when individuals within fanbases try calling out the fanbase for optimism.

Every fanbase is the same way. I don't really get the point of these kinds of threads. Every fanbase has a majority who are optimistic, they have a small minority who is realistic, and then some people who find fault in everything. That's just how it is.

trapezeus
03-13-2013, 12:15 PM
not every fan base watches 13 years of failuer and watches a guy get promoted up to CEO during that time.

IlluminatusUIUC
03-13-2013, 12:21 PM
It's amusing to me when individuals within fanbases try calling out the fanbase for optimism.

Every fanbase is the same way. I don't really get the point of these kinds of threads. Every fanbase has a majority who are optimistic, they have a small minority who is realistic, and then some people who find fault in everything. That's just how it is.

That has nothing to do with optimism and everything to do with your entire opinion pivoting on a dime when the team goes in a different direction. In less than 11 days, it goes from a player being worth it at any price and a key to our offense to him being a replaceable cog at a position that never really matters anyway. And the only thing that changed in that span was the color of his jersey.

Cleve
03-13-2013, 12:24 PM
haha, that is some funny ****. There are more than a fair share of head in the sand ostriches around here.

IlluminatusUIUC
03-13-2013, 12:25 PM
Now that Rinehart is gone, I can't wait to hear what a bum he was and how we never needed him either.

psubills62
03-13-2013, 12:28 PM
That has nothing to do with optimism and everything to do with your entire opinion pivoting on a dime when the team goes in a different direction. In less than 11 days, it goes from a player being worth it at any price and a key to our offense to him being a replaceable cog at a position that never really matters anyway. And the only thing that changed in that span was the color of his jersey.
People will rationalize. That's true in every facet of life. Hardly news.

Cleve
03-13-2013, 12:28 PM
Now that Rinehart is gone, I can't wait to hear what a bum he was and how we never needed him either.

With this very topic in mind, I tried to help out on that one already - lmao!!!!

RedEyE
03-13-2013, 01:12 PM
op:
lol
I'm guilty of this from time to time.

There are times when I might knee jerk react to something the organization does. Dispensing these emotions here, a message board, seems logical.

And some of the time it takes reading a few threads here to talk me down and retreat from the edges of that cliff.

Its all part of being a fan. Its all part of the game. There are very few people on this board that would actually be capable of succeeding in the business. There's quite a bit of over confidence here... but keep flexing that text muscle.

Mike
03-13-2013, 03:02 PM

This is not about being optimistic. Pure and simple it's intellectual dishonesty. Further, the poster lacks both perspective and self awareness. If he was a Titans fan he would be doing cartwheels!

BertSquirtgum
03-13-2013, 03:14 PM
This team can suck big huge balls. I don't care, I will still watch them.

Generalissimus Gibby
03-13-2013, 03:55 PM
In the past twenty years this team has found every way imaginable to **** up our OL. In 1994 we let House Ballard go because we decided Jerry Crafts would be cheaper and capable of replacing him. In 1995 we were actually smart in drafting Ruben Brown, but we let him go in 2003 as a cancer because he didn't like the colossal fail that was the Gregg Williams era. Then in 2007 we waste all kinds of money on two scrub OLs who are worse than what we had before. Then in 2009 we let go Jason Peters because he wanted too much money and now we let go of LeVitre. Regardless of what type of offense you want to showcase you need to have solid lines. Until we learn this lesson we won't go anywhere.

swiper
03-13-2013, 04:14 PM

It was rationalization. And you did call him out on it.

YardRat
03-13-2013, 04:19 PM
If we get Levitre regardless of how much we pay it's worth it

:rofl:

Obviously that leaves me out of the running.

IlluminatusUIUC
03-13-2013, 06:42 PM

You've been consistent on this issue, I'll absolutely grant you that.

BillsFever21
03-13-2013, 07:04 PM
I'm not trying to call out a specific poster here, but the mentality I see in these posts gets repeated a lot on Bills boards. No matter what the Bills do, it gets rationalized.

Levitre leaves:

I see this kind of thing over and over from different people and it boggles the mind.

I wonder who that could possibly be? LOL

Hell of a find. That just goes to show you how many will just think whatever OBD does is the right thing and will defend it to the end no matter which way it goes. "God damn" at least looks at things individually and think for yourself.

X-Era
03-13-2013, 07:39 PM

Obviously that leaves me out of the running.Yep, I'm out too. I've got an offseason plan calling for him to walk weeks or even a month ago.

better days
03-13-2013, 08:53 PM

Well, I am out of the running as well, because I still say it was a mistake to not resign Levitre.

SABURZFAN
03-14-2013, 05:15 PM

:chuckle:

gr8slayer
03-14-2013, 08:15 PM
There's no way this is all the same poster.

Levitre leaves:

IlluminatusUIUC
03-14-2013, 10:10 PM
There's no way this is all the same poster.

It is. I could have posted links, but again I'm not trying to call out anyone specifically.