PDA

View Full Version : Chargers sign Rinehart

Bangarang
03-13-2013, 12:16 PM

1 year deal apparantly

trapezeus
03-13-2013, 12:19 PM
nice. so when wood goes down, we are going to start 3 newbies on the line. excellent

Pinkerton Security
03-13-2013, 12:20 PM
But...but...we dont need Levitre! Hes too expensive! we have Rinehart woo!!! lol

bosshogg21
03-13-2013, 12:21 PM
I'm getting a little concerned now. I get it, new coach and all and may want his guys but nix can't be this stupid. That was a good line we had.

IlluminatusUIUC
03-13-2013, 12:22 PM
The Marrone era is off to a smashing start, I must say.

TigerJ
03-13-2013, 12:24 PM
This definitely creates a vacuum. I wonder if the Bills just didn't think he was that good. Did they even try to sign him?

Night Train
03-13-2013, 12:25 PM
OMG ! The off-season is over !

Cleve
03-13-2013, 12:27 PM
WOW BUDDY NIX IS BUILDING A GREAT TEAM!!!!!! CONGRATS BUDDY!!!!! WE DIDN'T NEED EITHER OF THEM!!!!

There.... nod to Illuminatus..... had to throw our resident optimistic "Homers" a bone..... lmao!!!!

MTBillsFan
03-13-2013, 12:30 PM
Hey look at it this way, 2/5 gone, 3/5 is still more than half! WTF? Enough with not spending money.

psubills62
03-13-2013, 12:32 PM
That's unfortunate.

- - - Updated - - -

Hey look at it this way, 2/5 gone, 3/5 is still more than half! WTF? Enough with not spending money.
If you're talking about starters, isn't Urbik the other OG?

Bert102176
03-13-2013, 12:34 PM
We will try to draft pugh or how ever you spell his name in the 3rd rd wasted just f'in pathetic Bills

mikemac2001
03-13-2013, 12:34 PM
we lost our starting LG and our backup OG ....we can draft a starter or sign one and a backup we can get a vet

Patti120
03-13-2013, 12:35 PM
Can the midget trainer play guard?

SpikedLemonade
03-13-2013, 12:36 PM
AND David Snow please stand up. Please stand up.

OpIv37
03-13-2013, 12:38 PM
we lost our starting LG and our backup OG ....we can draft a starter or sign one and a backup we can get a vet

We only have so much cap space and so many draft picks. And we just added one more hole to fill with those limited resources.

ParanoidAndroid
03-13-2013, 12:39 PM
Creating holes faster than we fill the ones we got = Bills Offseason Method

Cleve
03-13-2013, 12:40 PM

Kind of like rats leaving a sinking ship...... LOL

Wonder if the hugely embarrassing Buddy Nix debacle has helped speed up the issuance of exit visas?

EDIT - just realized..... I got a feeling my paper-bag avatar will stay up for a while.

psubills62
03-13-2013, 12:41 PM
It's also technically the offseason model of the Packers. The key is turning around and drafting well, which the Bills have not done.

jamze132
03-13-2013, 12:44 PM
So we can draft either Joeckle or Fisher for LT and push Glenn inside. Brilliant! Now we can grab the next ****ty QB in the 2nd while neglecting the LB corps! I'm psyched!

kingJofNYC
03-13-2013, 12:44 PM
LOL at the Rinehart nuthuggers.

Your champion is now gone, you can join the rest of us in reality and realize how average he is.

Bills Juggernaut
03-13-2013, 12:48 PM
Move Sanders inside......draft for developmental backup in late rounds. All set.

Captain Obvious
03-13-2013, 12:50 PM

It's hilarious OPIV claiming Rinehart leaving creates another hole OPIV always thought Rinehart was a bum

OpIv37
03-13-2013, 12:50 PM

Your champion is now gone, you can join the rest of us in reality and realize how average he is.
Average is better than nothing, which is what we have now. And no one would be too concerned about this if we didnt already lose Levitre.

So far, I believe there are about 7 guys who have left the team or been cut and only one who has signed. Forge about talent- we don't even have enough bodies. This is rock bottom. Well, maybe. I've thought the team has bottomed out in the past but they always found a way to make it worse.

- - - Updated - - -

It's hilarious OPIV claiming Rinehart leaving creates another hole OPIV always thought Rinehart was a bum

Show me where I said Rinehart was a bum.

Saratoga Slim
03-13-2013, 12:53 PM
We're on Day 2 of FA. there are backup guards available still. let's revisit this in a few weeks, cause i agree we do need some veteran depth on the OL.

kingJofNYC
03-13-2013, 02:04 PM
Oh it definitely creates a hole and shows how ill prepared this front office was last season going into this one, complete ineptitude. But we had a group of delusional fans that thought Rinehart was equal to Levitre, very little drop off they said, and that the Bills would sign Chad instead of Andy. How's that working out?

They didn't, and now they're down to 1 capable guard on the entire roster.

Nix delivering once again! We can't even keep average performers! Most of our fanbase would have been fine with Chad, but not Buddy!

coastal
03-13-2013, 02:08 PM
Idiots.

casdhf
03-13-2013, 02:55 PM
I am as much of a lemming as everyone else, but this is a guard.

BertSquirtgum
03-13-2013, 03:00 PM
Overreaction week. Always a laugh.

Jeff1220
03-13-2013, 03:01 PM
Not to defend the FO, but I'd guess that they've tried with a few guys and just got flat out rejected. If I was an NFL player, I wouldn't want to play for the Bills either.

k-oneputt
03-13-2013, 03:05 PM
Overreaticting.
Another marginal backup player in the NFL.

mjt328
03-13-2013, 03:10 PM
It's also technically the offseason model of the Packers. The key is turning around and drafting well, which the Bills have not done.

The Packers are usually smart enough to draft replacements a few seasons in advance, so when they lose a key player, there isn't a big drop off in production.

I doubt they will really miss Greg Jennings with Jordy Nelson, James Jones and Randall Cobb on the roster.

NOT THE DUDE...
03-13-2013, 03:33 PM
im pretty sure we can sign donald thomas, tyrone green, matt slauson, or w/e and not miss a beat...

relax...

swiper
03-13-2013, 03:41 PM
I'm getting a little concerned now. I get it, new coach and all and may want his guys but nix can't be this stupid. That was a good line we had.

The concern is that Marrone is replacing too many guys at once.

It's a race between the Bills and the Jets for the 2014 #1 pick.

psubills62
03-13-2013, 03:44 PM
The Packers are usually smart enough to draft replacements a few seasons in advance, so when they lose a key player, there isn't a big drop off in production.

I doubt they will really miss Greg Jennings with Jordy Nelson, James Jones and Randall Cobb on the roster.
They have gotten to that point (drafting replacements a few seasons in advance) because they've been drafting well for years prior.

Night Train
03-13-2013, 03:44 PM
We need to replace Levitre... not a backup Guard who could not pass block.

He signed a 1 year deal for 1.75 Mil. That's called a backup, just in case they can't get anyone else.

Let's revisit this state of panic in 2 months after more FA's are signed, the draft is complete and more Vets are released post-draft for other teams to fill needs they they couldn't fill in the draft.

It's March 13th and this isn't making excuses. It's waiting for other moves to be made before declaring the off-season a completed disaster. I'll be happy to throw bombs at this team if they don't make moves

but it's MARCH 13TH !

NOT THE DUDE...
03-13-2013, 04:00 PM
just sign tyronne green....

YardRat
03-13-2013, 04:11 PM
Obviously I expected to lose Levitre, but in all honesty I thought they'd re-sign Rhinehart. Oh well...as NT said, we'll just have to see how this plays out with the rest of FA and the draft.

BillsFever21
03-13-2013, 04:31 PM
So we can draft either Joeckle or Fisher for LT and push Glenn inside. Brilliant! Now we can grab the next ****ty QB in the 2nd while neglecting the LB corps! I'm psyched!

Oh but we have Manny Lawson now so LB isn't as important now. We used the rest of the 3 million saved from not re-signing Levitre for him.

BillsFever21
03-13-2013, 04:43 PM
Yeah we don't Levitre since we have Chad Rhinehart who can fill in as guard without much of a drop in production Well that worked out real good LOL...DOH.

Well now we lost our starter and our backup. That means we're definitely drafting at least one of them now. Either that or they will throw one of the other backup bums in the guard spot instead. Or maybe we can go sign an average guard for 4-5 million or so a year and do one of the others listed above for the backup spot.

We took a good starting OL and decent depth and turned both into a need now. Once Woods goes out with his yearly injury we will really be screwed. Either that or we will be using a 1st or 2nd round pick on an OL now. Either a tackle and move Glenn inside or a guard to replace Levitre. Either way we still need some depth now.

Just a few days ago everyone was saying we can let Levitre walk and replace him with Rhinehart(who wasn't even under contract either) or Vasquez for a couple million a year cheaper. Well we didn't get Vasquez and now the Chargers just signed Rhinehart to replace Vasquez. But hey we got McKelvin and Lawson for the money we would've spent on Levitre so it's all good. We couldn't have used that 8 million a year anymore perfectly to upgrade our team at more important positions. Absolutely pathetic.

I don't want to hear one of these guys complaining if our OL sucks or if we still need a legit #2 WR, CB or any starting caliber LB because we either threw some scraps in to replace Levitre or had to use one of our top draft picks on an OL instead of addressing them other needs.

better days
03-13-2013, 04:48 PM
Obviously I expected to lose Levitre, but in all honesty I thought they'd re-sign Rhinehart. Oh well...as NT said, we'll just have to see how this plays out with the rest of FA and the draft.

Sure, no problem at all. I have been told Guard is a position EASY to fill with CHEAP players.

BillsFever21
03-13-2013, 04:51 PM
They have gotten to that point (drafting replacements a few seasons in advance) because they've been drafting well for years prior.

Well that's how good teams usually do it. Unfortunately the Bills aren't one of them.

Good teams are built mostly through the draft with maybe a couple FA's mixed in and when they start getting good they re-sign their best players. After that they plan in advance on players they won't be keeping and they draft their replacement a year or two ahead of time. They actually plan in advance unlike our crappy front office and some wonder why we're the laughing stock in the NFL and haven't made the playoffs in 13 years.

BillsFever21
03-13-2013, 04:52 PM
Sure, no problem at all. I have been told Guard is a position EASY to fill with CHEAP players.

It's no biggie. It's so easy to replace a guard we might even be able to find one off the streets for the league minimum to step right in and not miss a beat. At the most maybe a 6th or 7th round draft pick.

BillsFever21
03-13-2013, 04:57 PM
Overreaticting.
Another marginal backup player in the NFL.

I don't think you catch the sarcasm and humor from the original posters. It's not that they are devastated about losing Rhinehart it's that the OBD homers said we can easily replace Levitre with Rhinehart and we wouldn't miss a beat. Now when it's all said and done we don't even have Rhinehart back.

YardRat
03-13-2013, 05:00 PM
Yeah we don't Levitre since we have Chad Rhinehart who can fill in as guard without much of a drop in production Well that worked out real good LOL...DOH.

Well now we lost our starter and our backup. That means we're definitely drafting at least one of them now. Either that or they will throw one of the other backup bums in the guard spot instead. Or maybe we can go sign an average guard for 4-5 million or so a year and do one of the others listed above for the backup spot.

We took a good starting OL and decent depth and turned both into a need now. Once Woods goes out with his yearly injury we will really be screwed. Either that or we will be using a 1st or 2nd round pick on an OL now. Either a tackle and move Glenn inside or a guard to replace Levitre. Either way we still need some depth now.

Just a few days ago everyone was saying we can let Levitre walk and replace him with Rhinehart(who wasn't even under contract either) or Vasquez for a couple million a year cheaper. Well we didn't get Vasquez and now the Chargers just signed Rhinehart to replace Vasquez. But hey we got McKelvin and Lawson for the money we would've spent on Levitre so it's all good. We couldn't have used that 8 million a year anymore perfectly to upgrade our team at more important positions. Absolutely pathetic.

I don't want to hear one of these guys complaining if our OL sucks or if we still need a legit #2 WR, CB or any starting caliber LB because we either threw some scraps in to replace Levitre or had to use one of our top draft picks on an OL instead of addressing them other needs.

Actually, I'm a little bit psyched to have a coaching staff that doesn't look at sacks against stats and get duped into thinking that we have (had) one of the best o-lines in football.

Good. I'm ready for a group of youngsters full of piss and vinegar that don't know any better to get a chance to play, and possibly succeed. Sure, they can do worse than 22 total wins over the last four years, but not much. We've already proven we can suck with some of these guys on the field, let's see how we do with somebody else.

YardRat
03-13-2013, 05:01 PM

Free agency is barely over 24 hrs old...not willing to see how things play out already?

better days
03-13-2013, 05:02 PM
It's no biggie. It's so easy to replace a guard we might even be able to find one off the streets for the league minimum to step right in and not miss a beat. At the most maybe a 6th or 7th round draft pick.

Exactly, but we don't have a 7th rnd pick this year we traded it to Seattle for T-Jax. No point in wasting a valuable 6th rnd pick on a GUARD. We can easily sign one off the street that didn't get drafted & as you said, not miss a beat.

better days
03-13-2013, 05:04 PM
Free agency is barely over 24 hrs old...not willing to see how things play out already?

Oh yeah, I'm willing to see how things play out & I don't even need a Crystal Ball.

BillsFever21
03-13-2013, 05:16 PM
Actually, I'm a little bit psyched to have a coaching staff that doesn't look at sacks against stats and get duped into thinking that we have (had) one of the best o-lines in football.

Good. I'm ready for a group of youngsters full of piss and vinegar that don't know any better to get a chance to play, and possibly succeed. Sure, they can do worse than 22 total wins over the last four years, but not much. We've already proven we can suck with some of these guys on the field, let's see how we do with somebody else.

I hear ya. We haven't won with Spiller, Byrd, Johnson, Woods, Dareus or Kyle Williams either. We might as well get rid of all of them too. I mean if we can lose games with them then we can lose games without them too and pay a fraction of the cost for their replacements.

Yasgur's Farm
03-13-2013, 05:18 PM
Ya'll panic way too much... We can easily move Cordy Glenn inside and give Hairston back his LT job. As it stands this very moment...
Starting line is... Hairston - Glenn - Wood - Urbik - Pears
Back-ups are... David Snow (C & T), Colin Brown (G), Zebrie Sanders (T).
That's not a bad 8 IMO... Plus we can still sign FA's and draft rookies.

YardRat
03-13-2013, 05:58 PM
I hear ya. We haven't won with Spiller, Byrd, Johnson, Woods, Dareus or Kyle Williams either. We might as well get rid of all of them too. I mean if we can lose games with them then we can lose games without them too and pay a fraction of the cost for their replacements.

If any of them come looking for Top 4 money after four seasons of slightly above average play, yeah, they can walk too.

psubills62
03-13-2013, 09:38 PM
Well that's how good teams usually do it. Unfortunately the Bills aren't one of them.

Good teams are built mostly through the draft with maybe a couple FA's mixed in and when they start getting good they re-sign their best players. After that they plan in advance on players they won't be keeping and they draft their replacement a year or two ahead of time. They actually plan in advance unlike our crappy front office and some wonder why we're the laughing stock in the NFL and haven't made the playoffs in 13 years.
The last few coaches have seemed to not be on the same page as the GM's and just didn't have a plan, whether short-term or long-term. Not saying Marrone does, but hopefully so.

There's also a big issue with, as you alluded to, identifying core players. You always want to get ~8 guys that you pay really well at their positions. Usually it's nice to spread it around, so you have 1-2 OL, 1-2 DL, a QB, a LB, a DB, a WR, etc. There are other positions that are easily replaceable in the draft (RB - a position GB rarely seems to focus on). Of course, your core players should depend on your scheme. Normally a TE is not a core player, but for the Patriots it is.

I just don't see any direction of that sort from the Bills. No grand, macro-plan in place that they execute. It really is like they just throw darts at a dartboard. Oh, let's switch to a 3-4. Well, that ain't workin', so let's go back to a 4-3! This kid looks good, let's draft him and then use the next two years to figure out where he should play.

ParanoidAndroid
03-14-2013, 08:11 AM
I don't panic. I just see the same thing repeating itself year after year after year. Show me where the hope for this season is. It's depressing.

OpIv37
03-14-2013, 08:54 AM
I don't panic. I just see the same thing repeating itself year after year after year. Show me where the hope for this season is. It's depressing.

The absolute worst part of the last 13 years and counting: they have killed my enthusiasm.

People here think I'm some sort of pessimist who just knocks the team for the same of being negative. But it isn't like that. Every off-season, I try to look at the team objectively to see if we appear to be better or worse than our opponents and the previous year. And from that perspective, there have just been so few reasons to be excited about the season before it starts. Year after year, they just stay stagnant or get worse in the off-season. And even when thy do something that looks good on paper, like signing Mario, it doesn't work out on the field.

I used to look forward to the season and the games but lately it's become more of a chore.

Jan Reimers
03-14-2013, 09:28 AM
The absolute worst part of the last 13 years and counting: they have killed my enthusiasm.

People here think I'm some sort of pessimist who just knocks the team for the same of being negative. But it isn't like that. Every off-season, I try to look at the team objectively to see if we appear to be better or worse than our opponents and the previous year. And from that perspective, there have just been so few reasons to be excited about the season before it starts. Year after year, they just stay stagnant or get worse in the off-season. And even when thy do something that looks good on paper, like signing Mario, it doesn't work out on the field.

I used to look forward to the season and the games but lately it's become more of a chore.
Couldn't have said it better myself. I'm just a little slower learner than you, Op. It took me somewhat longer to lose my optimism and enthusiasm.

A few years ago, I would have been all excited about cutting or otherwise losing all these guys, who weren't winning, anyway.

Now, I feel that we'll just replace them with players of equal or lesser value, who won't win, either. At some point, this front office will have to show me that they can somehow build a winning football team. But I seriously doubt that they will.