PDA

View Full Version : Things that make you wonder... (On still available FA's)

X-Era
03-13-2013, 08:15 PM
1) Greg Jennings- Still unsigned. A very good person on and off the field. Recruited by Stevie. And eerily quite since FA started.

2) Dustin Keller- Was in Miami for a visit. Close to signing... But as of yet, hasn't. And also another guy that was linked to the Bills and who's rumors have been fairly quite since FA started.

3) LaRon Landry- Still out there. Rumors of visits but no contract. Also linked to the Bills.

4) Brandon Gibson- Rumored to be on our radar, and that we had contact with him. Yet he has had no reports from his camp so far in FA.

Out of all of this the Jennings situation has me the most intrigued. I think his price will be less that Wallace and maybe Bowe but more than Welker. I could see 10 mill per. But the cap hit could be way less depending on the structure. Would the Bills do it? Maybe on a contract with some incentives laid in. I just look at a guy who will come cheaper than Wallace, is the right type of person for the Bills, whom Stevie has contacted, and who fits the sort of role were looking for.

YardRat
03-13-2013, 08:20 PM
I would expect Keller to sign with Miami.

Others that I haven't heard a peep out of include Reed, Freeney, Umenyiora, Urlacher, Fred Davis, DRC, Talib, Henderson. Most of them are older, but still one would think there would be some rumblings.

X-Era
03-13-2013, 08:20 PM
http://blogs.buffalobills.com/tag/greg-jennings/

He "wanted" a warm weather team but maybe that warm weather team chose Wallace. GB isn't exactly warm weather.

I'm probably just dreaming but it's odd that things are so quiet in his camp.

On the other hand, he would be coming to a team with no starting QB... kind of a big deal. LOL.

DBrown77
03-13-2013, 08:28 PM
I think he was greedy looking for a payday and didn't get it. I bet he goes back to Green Bay as I heard they offered around 10mil/yr.
I doubt he comes here unless we break the bank because of the QB situation.

clumping platelets
03-13-2013, 08:30 PM
I pay no remaining FA WR more than Stevie

X-Era
03-13-2013, 08:34 PM
I pay no remaining FA WR more than Stevie
And logic in me tells me they won't too. But they talked about moving Stevie to the slot and getting that "bigtime" WR.

I still think they will target that big time guy early in the draft and may sign a mid tier WR to solidify that position.

But, I just wonder about Jennings. It intrigues me and it wouldn't surprise me if they surprised us with a move like this.

With a manageable cap hit and plenty of LTBE incentives for injury etc...

bigbub2352
03-13-2013, 08:39 PM
i want landry

kingJofNYC
03-13-2013, 08:44 PM
Laron sucks.

DraftBoy
03-13-2013, 08:44 PM
Report out that Landry is working on a deal with the Colts, has cancelled plans to visit SF.

EDS
03-13-2013, 08:59 PM

Others that I haven't heard a peep out of include Reed, Freeney, Umenyiora, Urlacher, Fred Davis, DRC, Talib, Henderson. Most of them are older, but still one would think there would be some rumblings.

I believe Erin Henderson resigned with the Vikings, if that is who you were refering to.

OpIv37
03-13-2013, 09:01 PM
I don't know why any WR or TE would consider Buffalo with our QB situation.

X-Era
03-13-2013, 09:03 PM
I don't know why any WR or TE would consider Buffalo with our QB situation.Absolutely a real issue at this point. No way around it.

The King
03-13-2013, 09:10 PM
Jennings tweeted

Interesting...

then.

Cold weather makes your nails grow faster

Generalissimus Gibby
03-13-2013, 09:16 PM
I wonder why our anti-Patriot Missile Bernie Pollard is not already signed by us. I know some say he is bad for locker room chemistry and isn't very good but he hates Patriots and kills one in each game. Two needed Pats on IR per year, this is a no brainer. Sign him.

The King
03-13-2013, 09:21 PM
Greg Jennings likely to sign with the Oakland Raiders tonight. Ironing out small details.

X-Era
03-13-2013, 09:24 PM
Greg Jennings likely to sign with the Oakland Raiders tonight. Ironing out small details.
I caught that tweet too... Oakland isn't cold.

I'll believe the Oak thing when I see it.

The King
03-13-2013, 09:25 PM
It was a fake Schefter account.... Not true.

psubills62
03-13-2013, 09:28 PM
With the 3 day "tampering" period, you will probably see one or two very good FA's price themselves out of action when FA actually begins. Jennings may have been one of those. Of course, leave it to Oakland....

BADTHINGSMAN
03-13-2013, 10:14 PM

Urlacher talking with Vikings:

http://prosportsdaily.com/articles/urlacher-talking-with-nfc-north-rival-vikings-238592.html

Asomugha getting interest from 49ers and Saints:

http://prosportsdaily.com/articles/saints-reportedly-showing-interest-in-cornerback-nnamdi-asomugha-238575.html

http://prosportsdaily.com/articles/asomugha-49ers-interested-in-each-other-238565.html

Ed Reed:

John McClain @McClain_on_NFL

The Texans' first visit will be with S Ed Reed. He'll be at their facility on Thursday. They need a vet to replace Glover Quin.
Twitter

Also it may have been on NFLNetwork someone mentioned Osi's name and the Lions as a possible spot.

The Jokeman
03-13-2013, 10:41 PM
One thing that's been odd so far is just how quiet the Bills have been. As in years past they always reported bringing guys in and/or more speculation. As we've been linked to Walker and DeVito but no mention of them at the official site. Lawson's seemed to be signed before anything was posted too. That said I hope tomorrow brings in some helped at G and/or WR. I'd hate to lose out on Keller but the latest report had him seeking Cook type money but settling on Bennett type money which am unsure how if that's what we're willing to spend as the speculation is Lawson is going to making about $3m annuallly which means we approximately $10m to play with but being the Bills never spend to the full cap maybe only $8m.

Buddo
03-14-2013, 05:14 AM
One thing that's been odd so far is just how quiet the Bills have been. As in years past they always reported bringing guys in and/or more speculation. As we've been linked to Walker and DeVito but no mention of them at the official site. Lawson's seemed to be signed before anything was posted too. That said I hope tomorrow brings in some helped at G and/or WR. I'd hate to lose out on Keller but the latest report had him seeking Cook type money but settling on Bennett type money which am unsure how if that's what we're willing to spend as the speculation is Lawson is going to making about $3m annuallly which means we approximately $10m to play with but being the Bills never spend to the full cap maybe only $8m.

Bills have a fair bit more available to them, with Fitz being cut. Now that that has happened, if there's someone they especially like, they do have the means to be a serious bidder.
I think there's two things at play with regards how 'quiet' the Bills have been. Firstly, they were probably both shocked and embarrassed by the deadspin thing, which obviously made them more inclined to get into 'lockdown' mode. Secondly, I think it might be part of the way that Whaley and Marrone would prefer things to be done. The fact that nothing at all, came out about Lawson, before all of a sudden it's on the BB.com message board, officially, leads me to believe that they are taking a somewhat different approach to this sort of thing this year.
While it happens to every team, I think they don't want the notion that guys visit Buffalo, to get contracts bumped up elsewhere, to take hold, and also, the less publicity about visits, the more likely it is, to get guys signed when they do visit. You don't want other FOs being kept aware about every guy who is out there, visiting teams.

Buddo
03-14-2013, 05:18 AM
To add to that, I do think that one we get through this weekend, and the feeding frenzy calms down, you will see more regular reporting of visits etc., especially from those guys who are doing their own 'grand tour' of various NFL teams.
I'd also say that agents have been told that if they want their clients to get a deal with the Bills, then they had better keep quiet about it in the media.

Don't Panic
03-14-2013, 05:23 AM
Day 3 wish list:

Brandon Moore

Drew Stanton

One of Jennings, Gibson or DHB

If we could lock those three up, I think we could go into the draft without the panic bell ringing too loudly. Part of me is still intrigued by Maualaga too...

X-Era
03-14-2013, 05:25 AM
Day 3 wish list:

Brandon Moore

Drew Stanton

One of Jennings, Gibson or DHB

If we could lock those three up, I think we could go into the draft without the panic bell ringing too loudly. Part of me is still intrigued by Maualaga too...
Stanton signed a deal.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/03/13/cardinals-sign-drew-stanton-to-three-year-deal/

Gibson is visiting the Titans.

X-Era
03-14-2013, 05:29 AM
No clue where you're getting that we only have 10 mill in cap room after Lawson. It's about double that but we have to have 5.5 to sign our picks.

YardRat
03-14-2013, 05:36 AM
No clue where you're getting that we only have 10 mill in cap room after Lawson. It's about double that but we have to have 5.5 to sign our picks.

Plus 4-5mil for mid-season pick-ups and possible extensions. Byrd, for example, still needs to be signed long term.

X-Era
03-14-2013, 05:46 AM
Plus 4-5mil for mid-season pick-ups and possible extensions. Byrd, for example, still needs to be signed long term.
I know you think we need that. I'd rather just cut someone like Brad Smith if we want to get someone mid-season.

- - - Updated - - -

Greg Jennings is visiting with the Vikes today... Damn.