With Fitz cut and A. Smith on Chiefs, what do bills do at 8?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Buffalogic
    Rumblin' Stumblin' Bumblin'
    • Feb 2006

With Fitz cut and A. Smith on Chiefs, what do bills do at 8?

There are some interesting mocks on the nfl webpage and the bills get a good player either way. Bucky Brooks wrote how Geno Smith could have a good chance to replace Fitzpatrick.

So which way do we go? I think the best case scenario would be to stay put and get Geno at 8. I would avoid trading up or down I think because if the raiders or cards select geno we will still get a very good player there being either LB/OG/WR without having to give up anything.
  • YardRat
    Well, lookie here...
    • Dec 2004

Re: With Fitz cut and A. Smith on Chiefs, what do bills do at 8?

Hopefully they don't QB. Would rather have defense or o-line.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• X-Era
      What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
      • Feb 2005

I think Geno has a legit shot to go before the Bills draft. Barkley and Wilson however are very much in play.

Comment

• psubills62
        Legendary Zoner
        • Sep 2008

I know people say this every time, but if the opportunity presented itself, I really wish they would trade down. Right now we only have six picks to work with and so many needs.

However, since the GM we currently have doesn't even seem to consider trading down, it is hard to say which way they'll go. Especially since right now we don't even know exactly who is making the decisions. My gut says that Whaley will be drafting now, but who knows. I don't believe they will take an OL. Nix has never taken an OL in the first round.
        "Misguided political correctness tethers our intellects."
        - Nicholas Cummings

Comment

• coastal
          Legendary Zoner
          • Mar 2005

Warmack is the obvious no-brainer pick at this point... That bein said... Lets get our CB fetish on and take the kid from FSU.

It will be fun.

Comment

• TigerJ
            • Jul 2002

I think there is at least a 50/50 chance that Geno Smith is available when the Bills pick. I don't pretend to know if the Bills think highly enough of him to take him if he is. What makes the QB position interesting in this draft is the fact that even more so than usual the teams that need one are all bunched up in the top 8 of the first round of the draft. That means unless a team below Buffalo finds that a QB is a compelling value, the odds of a QB being chosen in the first round after pick eight are pretty low. Then there may be a run at the top of the second round. Thus if Buffalo doesn't pick Geno Smith, and doesn't trade back into the late first round, they will be taking their chances on who might be left.

If Buffalo is not looking at QB at #8 then it's pretty confusing. The best values are likely to be on the offensive line, Lane Johnson and Chance Warmack. I've already stated why I'm not crazy about Chance Warmack, though with Rinehart signed away from the Bills my argument is significantly weaker. I could live with it if Buffalo signs some solid free agents at some other areas of need, Manny Lawson is an interesting signing if not a blockbuster. He's got great measurables and fairly low miles for a 28 year old. However, he's also not measured up to the promise he had coming out of college. Maybe Mike Pettine's defense will be just the thing to enable him to shine, and maybe not. We need a solid receiver, another linebacker, some secondary help and a tight end. At least some of those spots need to get addressed in free agency to make drafting an offensive lineman at #8 a good move.
            I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

Comment

• better days
              • Jan 2010

The Bills either take a QB at #8 or trade down. My prediction.

Comment

• Mouldsie
                • Aug 2012

Best available. My eye is on Ziggy Ansah, Sharrif Floyd, Jarvis Jones, Dee Milliner, Star, Dion Jordan, Lane Johnson, and Chance Warmack among others.... one of them is bound to be there but if not I would settle for a trade down if posible.

Comment

• Swiper
                  Legendary Zoner
                  • Sep 2010

Originally posted by coastal View Post
                  Warmack is the obvious no-brainer pick at this point... That bein said... Lets get our CB fetish on and take the kid from FSU.

It will be fun.

NO GUARDS WITH THIS PICK!

Comment

• Night Train
                    Retired - On Several Levels
                    • Jul 2005

Mike Tannenbaum has us taking Kenny Vaccarro, a strong safety at #8. Anyone wonder why he was recently fired ?

These mock drafts are beyond terrible.
                    Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• mybills
                      81 st zoner
                      • Jul 2002

I don't think it matters who they pick @8. So many needs to fill that something will be filled.
                      If they learn how to budget, they could buy instead of rebuild.
                      I didn't come here to fight, I hate fighting. Life is way too short to spend it on fighting! Go fight with yourself, one of you will eventually win!

Comment

• DraftBoy
                        Administrator
                        • Jul 2002

My guess as of now is one of;
                        Geno Smith
                        Eric Fisher
                        Luke Joeckel
                        Lane Johnson
                        Dion Jordan
                        Ziggy Ansah
                        Damontre Moore
                        Chance Warmack
                        COMING SOON...
                        Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
                        We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• RedEyE
                          • Jul 2002

They backed themselves into a bit of a corner. They need depth at almost evrery position and need starters at WR, OL, TE, QB, & LB. They can't afford most 1st & 2nd tier FAs so they will fill SOME holes with FA "leftovers" but will need to force picks in the draft on the remaining positions open.

Geno is the pick at 8 if available. But there is such a huge drop off in QB talent after Geno (& even he is questionable) that I think they have to fill a hole with the next best talent based on need. They dont have the picks or the luxury of taking a guy that cant fill an open slot.

Comment

• psubills62
                            Legendary Zoner
                            • Sep 2008

The next time Nix takes an OL in the first round will be the first time. Unless Whaley has truly taken over (distinctly possible), I don't see an OL in the first. Heck, everyone knew we were going to be starting a rookie at LT last year and they still waited until the 2nd round to take Glenn.
                            "Misguided political correctness tethers our intellects."
                            - Nicholas Cummings

Comment

• mjt328
                              • May 2011

The next few weeks will be interesting. There will likely be some movement of veteran QBs, which will definitely impact how far Geno Smith and Matt Barkley fall.

> The Chiefs just traded for Alex Smith and signed Chase Daniel. They are definitely out of the running for a QB at #1. Those moves will also likely clear the way for Matt Cassel to be released.

> The Jaguars GM has stated that Blaine Gabbert is better than any QB in this draft, and he fully intends to give him at least another season to succeed. Unless he is bluffing, the Jags aren't taking a QB at #2.

> The Raiders are a definitely possibility for snagging Geno Smith. From what I understand, management is requesting Carson Palmer take a pay cut - or he is gone. If this happens, the only quarterback left on their roster is Terrell Pryor. There are also rumblings that they are talking with Vince Young.

> The Eagles just re-signed Michael Vick and added Dennis Dixon. There has been talk about them shopping Nick Foles, who apparently doesn't fit Chip Kelly's offense.

> The Lions have Stafford. Nothing is happening here.

> The Browns spent a 1st round pick on Brandon Weeden last year, but management wants to bring in some competition. Most of the talk I hear is around free agents though, not a draft pick. Don't be surprised if they sign Fitzpatrick or Matt Cassel (when he gets released). Rumors also have them talking to the Patriots about a trade for Ryan Mallett.

> The Cardinals are a mess and could go a number of directions. They currently have 5 quarterbacks on the roster: Kevin Kolb, John Skelton, Ryan Lindley, Brian Hoyer and the recently signed Drew Stanton. There is a good chance a couple of those guys get cut. There are rumors they are waiting for Carson Palmer or Matt Cassel to get cut, so they can swoop in and snatch one up. There are rumors they really like Matt Barkley. I wouldn't be surprised if they make a play for Fitz either.

At this point, I wouldn't be surprised if Geno drops to us.
                              I also wouldn't be surprised if 2 quarterbacks are gone before we pick.
                              Last edited by mjt328; 03-14-2013, 08:34 AM.
                              2013 "My Should Have" Draft
                              Posted During the 2013 Draft
                              1 - (16): Geno Smith, QB, West Virginia
                              2 - (41): Robert Woods, WR, USC
                              2 - (46): Arthur Brown, LB, Kansas State
                              3 - (78): Quinton Patton, WR, Louisiana Tech
                              4 - (105): Barrett Jones, OG, Alabama
                              5 - (143): Brandon Jenkins, LB, Florida State
                              6 - (177): Da'Rick Rogers, WR, Tennessee Tech
                              7 - (222): Tyler Bray, QB, Tennessee

2013 Buddy Nix Draft
                              1 - (16): E.J. Manuel, QB, Florida State