PDA

View Full Version : Can Winfield play SS?

Oaf
03-14-2013, 01:04 AM
We have a spot here for him. :wave: Great mentor for Searcy.

clumping platelets
03-14-2013, 02:36 AM
no....way too small for SS

Night Train
03-14-2013, 03:56 AM
Plus he's 57 years old.

Buddo
03-14-2013, 05:25 AM
Why on earth would you want to try and change a veteran's position, when he only has a year or two left, and he's still capable of playing the position he's been playing for the whole of his career, of 837 years?
Classic case of square peg into round hole.
Tbh, if you want to bring him back, bring him back as a CB, where he can still play.

Oaf
03-14-2013, 08:31 AM
I don't know if you guys remember what he was known for while he was here... a safety that can hit and cover WRs? Sign me up.

Joe Fo Sho
03-14-2013, 08:35 AM
I don't know if you guys remember what he was known for while he was here... a safety that can hit and cover WRs? Sign me up.

He is known for being one the best tackling cornerbacks in the league, at least he used to be known for that. But him covering a Tight End, like Gronkowski, is a nightmare.

ServoBillieves
03-14-2013, 08:41 AM
I'm really sorry, and Oaf this is not directly pointed at you but it's been a trend around here.

What is with the obsession of changing players positions? I saw in the Drayton Florence thread "bring him in, move him to safety." Same goes for Aaron Williams; "He sucks at CB, he's better suited for safety."

The one that somewhat makes sense NOW is the "Let's move Glenn inside to G" when he was brought in to play T, but do we really think that *poof* magically these guys who've been playing one position their entire career or only spot in another will be phenoms at a separate view of the ball? /rant

Anyways. No, I don't want Winfield back. In what is looking to be a train wreck of a season, I'd rather let the young talent develop and let Ron Brooks prove his talented side which wowed us rather than his stupid mistakes that made us want to punch him in the back of the helmet.

IlluminatusUIUC
03-14-2013, 10:50 AM
I'm really sorry, and Oaf this is not directly pointed at you but it's been a trend around here.

What is with the obsession of changing players positions? I saw in the Drayton Florence thread "bring him in, move him to safety." Same goes for Aaron Williams; "He sucks at CB, he's better suited for safety."

The one that somewhat makes sense NOW is the "Let's move Glenn inside to G" when he was brought in to play T, but do we really think that *poof* magically these guys who've been playing one position their entire career or only spot in another will be phenoms at a separate view of the ball? /rant

Anyways. No, I don't want Winfield back. In what is looking to be a train wreck of a season, I'd rather let the young talent develop and let Ron Brooks prove his talented side which wowed us rather than his stupid mistakes that made us want to punch him in the back of the helmet.

Moving DBs to safety when they can't handle man coverage or get too old has been used quite a bit over the years by teams. Byrd was a college CB - now he's a pro safety. Devin McCourty was a pro bowl CB - now he's a safety. Charles Woodson did it last year in Green Bay, Rood Woodson did it near the end of his career in Baltimore, etc.

BADTHINGSMAN
03-14-2013, 10:57 AM

Because it has worked for Bellicek so it must work for every position on any team for any player. I say lets move Marcel Dareus to QB.

BADTHINGSMAN
03-14-2013, 11:00 AM
Moving DBs to safety when they can't handle man coverage or get too old has been used quite a bit over the years by teams. Byrd was a college CB - now he's a pro safety. Devin McCourty was a pro bowl CB - now he's a safety. Charles Woodson did it last year in Green Bay, Rood Woodson did it near the end of his career in Baltimore, etc.

It would be fine if the Bills were a Safety away from the Playoffs or SB or even with a younger player out of college. Just makes no sense doing it in Buffalo now.

venis2k1
03-14-2013, 11:05 AM

We drafted Searcy, let him play.

IlluminatusUIUC
03-14-2013, 11:31 AM
It would be fine if the Bills were a Safety away from the Playoffs or SB or even with a younger player out of college. Just makes no sense doing it in Buffalo now.

Maybe not with Winfield, that's just a nostalgia signing. But considering how horrendous Williams has been at DB, I'd like to see him at safety to see if this supposed hard-nosed player emerges.

Mr. Miyagi
03-14-2013, 12:33 PM
I remember he was known for laying big hits on guys that are already down or in the end zone. Kinda like Whitner.

Mr. Miyagi
03-14-2013, 12:35 PM

Oaf
03-14-2013, 01:43 PM

Tons of CBs move over to S later in their career? :scratch:

Flo was a liability in covg, so no I wouldn't want him back at S or CB. I have no reason to think Williams would be any better at S than CB either. Winfield is one of the toughest tacklers in this era. Obviously he can cover being a CB. I wouldn't be surprised if another team gave him reps as a Cover 2 safety..

The Jokeman
03-14-2013, 02:22 PM
Tons of CBs move over to S later in their career? :scratch:

Flo was a liability in covg, so no I wouldn't want him back at S or CB. I have no reason to think Williams would be any better at S than CB either. Winfield is one of the toughest tacklers in this era. Obviously he can cover being a CB. I wouldn't be surprised if another team gave him reps as a Cover 2 safety..

Most CBs that move over to S is due to lack of speed. Specifically former CBs in college transitioning over but most have size too ie are over 6-0 and 200#. I think Troy Vincent did this but can't remember if he transitioned here or in Philly. That said Winfield's lack of height be worrisome unless he turns into another Blaine Bishop which is the exception not the rule.

Mski
03-14-2013, 02:31 PM
Most CBs that move over to S is due to lack of speed. Specifically former CBs in college transitioning over but most have size too ie are over 6-0 and 200#. I think Troy Vincent did this but can't remember if he transitioned here or in Philly. That said Winfield's lack of height be worrisome unless he turns into another Blaine Bishop which is the exception not the rule.was a CB his last year in Philly, and SS his first year here

ThunderGun
03-14-2013, 02:36 PM

I agree with most of your post...however, when we drafted Williams, I was SURE that the plan was to play him at Safety. I just think he'd be much better suited there.

jimmifli
03-14-2013, 02:55 PM
Why would we move him? He'd instantly become the best corner on our team.

Oaf
03-14-2013, 03:50 PM
Why would we move him? He'd instantly become the best corner on our team.

Haha, valid point.