PDA

View Full Version : Today Is West Virginia's Pro Day

Night Train
03-14-2013, 09:47 AM
I'll bet the house Marrone, Hackett, Whaley, Nix and Brandon ( with a name tag saying Bills CEO and a *****t eating grin) are all there.

Hope they are looking at WR Austin also, in addition to Geno Smith.

Also hoping they left the rose colored glasses at hope and are honest in the evaluation.

I'm sure some independent reviews will be out later on.

Bangarang
03-14-2013, 09:55 AM
It was confirmed Nix is there. Also confirmed nobody from the Cardinals are there.

OpIv37
03-14-2013, 10:01 AM
It was confirmed Nix is there. Also confirmed nobody from the Cardinals are there.

Is he paying attention, or is he on his cell talking to a 19 year old using VoIP because he thinks it's Roger Goodell?

BertSquirtgum
03-14-2013, 10:43 AM
I'll bet the house Marrone, Hackett, Whaley, Nix and Brandon ( with a name tag saying Bills CEO and a *****t eating grin) are all there.

Hope they are looking at WR Austin also, in addition to Geno Smith.

Also hoping they left the rose colored glasses at hope and are honest in the evaluation.

I'm sure some independent reviews will be out later on.

Buddy was the only one there. Standing alone picking his nose.

DraftBoy
03-14-2013, 11:05 AM
Likely not Marrone or Hackett...they have studied Geno more than our scouts have after playing him for the last three years. Their time is likely better spent elsewhere.

Mahdi
03-14-2013, 11:08 AM
Likely not Marrone or Hackett...they have studied Geno more than our scouts have after playing him for the last three years. Their time is likely better spent elsewhere.

We have no QB. There can't be anything more pressing than finding out if this kid is worth making a move for.

- - - Updated - - -

We have no QB. There can't be anything more pressing than finding out if this kid is worth making a move for.

They should all be there.

DraftBoy
03-14-2013, 11:13 AM

They should all be there.

Why? Nothing in a Pro Day is going to show you more than when you did indepth tape analysis for game planning. Why not send Marrone/Hackett to other Pro Days? Arkansas State is today and Ryan Aplin is a late round QB to evaluate, California has Zach Maynard throwing today who has ties to Buffalo and not to mention Keenan Allen is working out, Michigan is also going on today and while there is no QB there is tons of talent.

No they should not all be there, ever.

YardRat
03-14-2013, 11:18 AM

If they don't a good handle on him by now, they never will.

Mahdi
03-14-2013, 11:27 AM
Why? Nothing in a Pro Day is going to show you more than when you did indepth tape analysis for game planning. Why not send Marrone/Hackett to other Pro Days? Arkansas State is today and Ryan Aplin is a late round QB to evaluate, California has Zach Maynard throwing today who has ties to Buffalo and not to mention Keenan Allen is working out, Michigan is also going on today and while there is no QB there is tons of talent.

No they should not all be there, ever.

If they are considering either drafting Smith or trading up for him than they should have as many trained eyes on him as possible. That is a franchise changing decision. Late round QBs don't set a franchise back by spending a 5thh-7th rounder on them.

Keenan Allen while might be a consideration is a WR and not quite as important as the Geno Smith decision.

DraftBoy
03-14-2013, 11:30 AM
If they are considering either drafting Smith or trading up for him than they should have as many trained eyes on him as possible. That is a franchise changing decision. Late round QBs don't set a franchise back by spending a 5thh-7th rounder on them.

Keenan Allen while might be a consideration is a WR and not quite as important as the Geno Smith decision.

You fail to address the premise though, what are they going to learn today throwing to his WR's with no defense? He did this at the combine already (where the whole Bills staff was) and at least there it was with different WR's so there was some element of challenge in it.

justasportsfan
03-14-2013, 11:32 AM

- - - Updated - - -

They should all be there. scripted pro days is nothing compared to preparing and watching game tape on him for 3 years when they played him.

Mahdi
03-14-2013, 11:35 AM
You fail to address the premise though, what are they going to learn today throwing to his WR's with no defense? He did this at the combine already (where the whole Bills staff was) and at least there it was with different WR's so there was some element of challenge in it.

I think its just more information to go on.

Mahdi
03-14-2013, 11:36 AM
scripted pro days is nothing compared to preparing and watching game tape on him for 3 years when they played him.

Ya obviously no one is comparing game film to pro days. Just saying if he is a possible franchise QB that might cost us a lot to get. Might be good idea to see every bit of him you can as a coach and OC.

Also, a lot of QBs go through offseason training and coaching on mechanics and pro offenses so maybe he will be showcasing something new in his scripted plays.

DraftBoy
03-14-2013, 11:38 AM
Since we're on the topic;
http://www.sbnation.com/nfl-mock-draft/2013/3/14/4103818/geno-smith-pro-day-results

Smith went 60 of 64 today with two WR drops. Showed off his big arm, velocity, and touch.

- - - Updated - - -

I think its just more information to go on.

I get that, but considering he's doing the same thing he just did a few weeks back and we have other needs, committing so many resources seems like your really limiting yourself.

DraftBoy
03-14-2013, 11:38 AM
For whatever its worth, if I was a GM (never happen) my first rule would be that we have some team representative at EVERY pro day regardless of level.

Night Train
03-14-2013, 11:40 AM
I agree with DB. Marrone and Hackett went up against Barkley twice and Smith 3 times. There isn't much mystery to what they can/cannot do.

I do think more will be at Barkleys pro day on March 27th, due to the shoulder injury and wishing to see the ball velocity.

BTW - Smith had 5 TD's and 5 INT's vs. Syracuse in his 3 games. Barkley had 11 TD's and 1 Int in his 2 games vs. the Orange. Take it for what it's worth.

Mahdi
03-14-2013, 11:42 AM
Since we're on the topic;
http://www.sbnation.com/nfl-mock-draft/2013/3/14/4103818/geno-smith-pro-day-results

Smith went 60 of 64 today with two WR drops. Showed off his big arm, velocity, and touch.

- - - Updated - - -

I get that, but considering he's doing the same thing he just did a few weeks back and we have other needs, committing so many resources seems like your really limiting yourself.

Ya we have no chance at him. No way Raiders and Cards pass on him. Even Jacksonville will be intrigued.

justasportsfan
03-14-2013, 11:42 AM
Ya obviously no one is comparing game film to pro days. Just saying if he is a possible franchise QB that might cost us a lot to get. Might be good idea to see every bit of him you can as a coach and OC.

Also, a lot of QBs go through offseason training and coaching on mechanics and pro offenses so maybe he will be showcasing something new in his scripted plays.

they've already seen him at the combine. They've already seen him on gameday 3X.there's nothing in the proday that they don't already know.

Mahdi
03-14-2013, 11:43 AM
For whatever its worth, if I was a GM (never happen) my first rule would be that we have some team representative at EVERY pro day regardless of level.

I agree. You can still do that and have all 3 watch Smith.

DraftBoy
03-14-2013, 11:47 AM
I agree. You can still do that and have all 3 watch Smith.

There are 14 listed Pro Day's today and I know of three more that are happening. You just called for 5 of our FO people to be at one of them. Not sure the Bills have enough scouts/personnel guys to cover the rest.

Mahdi
03-14-2013, 11:56 AM
There are 14 listed Pro Day's today and I know of three more that are happening. You just called for 5 of our FO people to be at one of them. Not sure the Bills have enough scouts/personnel guys to cover the rest.

No just Gm, HC, OC. Also, I don't think any personnel dept. has enough money or man power to see every pro-day.

Night Train
03-14-2013, 12:52 PM
Has anyone ever heard of a bad QB pro day ? Ever ?

They always look good in these scripted exercises.

DraftBoy
03-14-2013, 01:23 PM
Has anyone ever heard of a bad QB pro day ? Ever ?

They always look good in these scripted exercises.

Nope, but the big news that came out of that pro day has nothing to do with the workout.

http://www.buffalobillsdraft.com/2013/03/west-virginia-qb-geno-smith-visiting-buffalo-bills/

BertSquirtgum
03-14-2013, 01:31 PM
March 22nd visit to Buffalo. I like the kid and hope the Bills get him if they think he's their guy.

justasportsfan
03-14-2013, 02:01 PM
Did Marrone outcoach WV when they beat them 3X or was Geno just not good enough?