PDA

View Full Version : NFL may abandon tuck rule

BLeonard
03-14-2013, 04:37 PM
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9053231/nfl-competition-committee-looking-tuck-rule

Under the proposed rule change, a quarterback who loses control of the football when bringing it back to his body after a pump fake will be deemed to have fumbled. Under the current rule, such a play would result in an incompletion.

Yeah, wouldn't want another team not named New England to inadvertantly benefit from this rule...

I'd like to see an actual NFL rule book from that year. Hard copy, as anything posted online can be modified. I still think they made that one up on the fly, when they were reviewing the play.

-Bill

Generalissimus Gibby
03-14-2013, 05:26 PM
That's faulking bull****. I hate the Oakland Raiders with a passion, but they got ****ing screwed in that game and tuck or not Marsha ****ing fumbled the ****ing football.

Skooby
03-14-2013, 06:32 PM
The made the rule to benefit a stupid call, all the while being a stupid rule.

Ingtar33
03-15-2013, 02:14 AM
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9053231/nfl-competition-committee-looking-tuck-rule

Yeah, wouldn't want another team not named New England to inadvertantly benefit from this rule...

I'd like to see an actual NFL rule book from that year. Hard copy, as anything posted online can be modified. I still think they made that one up on the fly, when they were reviewing the play.

-Bill

the rule existed, just not in the form that the ref used it to kill the fumble. The rule was meant to invalidate a fumble that occurs when a qb pump-fake, with the ball moving forward then slipping out of his hand. It was never meant to invalidate a STRIP of the football when the QB has already completed the throwing motion and is tucking the ball away on a pump-fake that leads to a sack.

The crime in that raiders game was how the NFL rubber stamped the rewriting of the "tuck" rule by a ref who made a poor call because he didn't understand the rule clearly enough. rather then admit the ref screwed up, they endorsed his rewrite of the rule and backed him up.

DynaPaul
03-15-2013, 05:41 AM
Walt Coleman, and yes he is still working in the NFL.