PDA

View Full Version : Jones will be ready!

Tatonka
07-10-2003, 11:46 PM
according to TD, who was on channel 7 (in buffalo, i assume) tonight ..

The skinny;

1. Marcus Jones will be ready for camp in 2 weeks.
2. McGahee could play late in the season.
3. Bills always looking for FA's to help the team.

this is according to CookieG at the other site, but i wanted to pass along this news.. is the first we heard really about MJ specific timetable.. makes me feel a bit better.

Dozerdog
07-10-2003, 11:49 PM
Good news!

Gunzlingr
07-10-2003, 11:52 PM
Originally posted by Dozerdog
Good news!

Indeed!

lordofgun
07-11-2003, 12:39 AM
I hope he reverts to his prior form. He was Tampa's franchise player a few years ago.

BillsFever
07-11-2003, 12:41 AM
I don't have much hope for Jones this year. He had one great year when he was young and healthy.

He probably won't even start. I already have a bet with BillsMan80 for $500 saying he won't get 12 sacks. Unfortunately that will be the easiest Zonebucks I've ever made.

SABURZFAN
07-11-2003, 01:14 AM
i'd like to see jones rebound from that injury.

BillsFever
07-11-2003, 01:30 AM
I think we all would, but the chances are slim.

If anybody else wants to take me up on that bet, I'll be more then happy to accept. I'll bet 12k on less then 12 sacks.

robeezy
07-11-2003, 04:36 AM
How can he be hobbling a few weeks ago and be ready now? I'm sure he won't be 100%.

Jan Reimers
07-11-2003, 05:42 AM
If healthy, Jones is at least in the mix at LDE. We need all the bodies we can get there, and Jones may at least give us one decent year, while we develop Kelsay or Irons, or continue to look for other help.

Turf
07-11-2003, 06:46 AM
Originally posted by BillsFever
I think we all would, but the chances are slim.

If anybody else wants to take me up on that bet, I'll be more then happy to accept. I'll bet 12k on less then 12 sacks.

How the heck did you amass 62000 zonebucks?:scratch:

ryven
07-11-2003, 07:10 AM
Well I hope he does come back we dont need him to amass a huge amount of sacks 10 would be nice but as long as he gets preassure on the QB and ca help us stop the run. I will be very happy plus thats one more threat teams will have to watch for especially if he returns to prior form.

Tatonka
07-11-2003, 07:36 AM
Originally posted by Jan Reimers
If healthy, Jones is at least in the mix at LDE. We need all the bodies we can get there, and Jones may at least give us one decent year, while we develop Kelsay or Irons, or continue to look for other help.

i actually feel comfortable with jones, kelsay and irons sharing time early on.. my personal hope is that irons steps up and becomes the man. he has the same size as jason taylor, at 6-5 270lbs.. then kelsay can back up schobel, and if schobel decides to bolt after another year, then we have his groomed replacement.

jones getting on the field would be nice to see, since we have all been holding our breath for him since last season.

posey will also get time at DE on obvious passing downs.

i dont feel worried about that situation at all.

Originally posted by Travis Hunter

i was thinking the same damn thing! i been ehre ages and only have 21000

ryven
07-11-2003, 08:08 AM
I would love to see irons step up and become a starting DE I think he might be a damn good pass rusher.

Doc
07-11-2003, 09:12 AM
Jones' best season came when he was playing RIGHT DE, not LDE as he will with the Bills. At LDE he was unspectacular as a pass rusher, but pretty good against the run. If he can return to that form, he'll be better than Shidi was last year. As for getting 12 or more sacks this year, I'll also bet that he won't do that, but I'd be ecstatic to lose that bet (it's just Zonebucks!).

BillsMan80
07-11-2003, 10:55 AM
Nobody ever said that Jones was hobbling. All that was said was that they weren't going to rush him back and let him take his time to get back into playing shape. Jones will be back and will be a force on our DLine. Especially with the talent around him.

BillsFever
07-11-2003, 11:25 AM

A lot of good bets and luck.

ryven
07-11-2003, 12:56 PM
can I have about 1000 ZB's

lordofgun
07-11-2003, 01:08 PM
BillsFever = PA Season Ticket Holder, that's how. :D

EM Bills Fan 80
07-11-2003, 01:17 PM
Speaking of Zone Bucks...anyone wanna give me any??? I'm Kinda low

Mr. Miyagi
07-11-2003, 03:21 PM
I already have a bet with BillsMan80 for $500 saying he won't get 12 sacks.
You're not really going out on a limb are you? 12 solo sacks? Schobel only had 8 all season last year. Only 8 players in the entire league last season had 12 or more sacks: Jason Taylor, Simeon Rice, Dwight Freeney, Hugh Douglas, Andre Carter, Leonard Little, KGB and Julius Peppers.

To expect Jones to come off a serious injury and an entire season sitting out to have 12 sacks is crazy.

You lower the sack number to 6.5 and we'll have a deal. :rolleyes:

Tatonka
07-11-2003, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by lordofgun
BillsFever = PA Season Ticket Holder, that's how. :D

i knew he had to have changed his name..

you killed PA Season Ticket Holder.. YOU BASTARDS!

TigerJ
07-11-2003, 09:02 PM
Twelve sacks is pretty high for a LDE. If I were setting the over under on sacks from the LDE spot for an improving Bills line it would probably be around 7. I think MJ is the front runner to start, so he could hit that number. I saw the "Bills Town Meeting" and heard TD's comments about MJ. I guess we just heard so little during the spring from official channels we were latching onto every little rumor or doubt we heard about.

BillsFever
07-11-2003, 09:49 PM
Hey that's the bet BillsMan80 offered me, I didn't dream it up :lol:

Only a fool wouldn't have taken that bet. I hope he didn't forget about it, cause then I'll have to try and dig up the post :snicker:

I was just trying to see if there was anymore suckers who thinks Jones is gonna be awesome. Can't hurt a brother for trying :D

BillsFever
07-11-2003, 09:53 PM
Originally posted by Tatonka

i knew he had to have changed his name..

you killed PA Season Ticket Holder.. YOU BASTARDS!

No I killed PA Season Ticket Holder. It was time for a change :snicker:

Everyone still calls me PA though :lol:

The_Philster
07-11-2003, 09:55 PM
Everyone calls me PA

That's just because of all your illegitimate kids. :snicker:

BillsFever
07-11-2003, 09:57 PM
Originally posted by The_Philster

That's just because of all your illegitimate kids. :snicker:

:lol:

Phil's just running wild with jokes lately :snicker:

Luckily I don't have any kids yet(that I know of) and I don't plan on it(unless an accident occurs) anytime soon.

The_Philster
07-11-2003, 10:01 PM
:lol:

Phil's just running wild with jokes lately :snicker:

You just left yourself so wide open with that one...I had to take the shot :D

Halbert
07-13-2003, 08:58 AM

By taking sucker bets like the one mentioned?

btw - can I get in on some of that action?

ublinkwescore
07-13-2003, 09:55 AM
You

ublinkwescore
07-13-2003, 09:56 AM
can

ublinkwescore
07-13-2003, 09:57 AM
also

ublinkwescore
07-13-2003, 09:58 AM
amass

ublinkwescore
07-13-2003, 09:59 AM
ZBs

ublinkwescore
07-13-2003, 10:00 AM
using

ublinkwescore
07-13-2003, 10:02 AM
the

ublinkwescore
07-13-2003, 10:02 AM
method

ublinkwescore
07-13-2003, 10:03 AM
that

ublinkwescore
07-13-2003, 10:04 AM
I'm using right now.

Doc
07-13-2003, 10:08 AM
If that's true, how'd I get more ZB's than you? AFAIK I haven't won any bets or gotten ZB's any other way.

Dozerdog
07-13-2003, 03:31 PM
Back to the subject- I'll reserve all comments on Jones until we see him in a scrimmage vs the Browns- Let's see what kind of loas those repaired wheels he's got can handle

WG
07-13-2003, 08:40 PM
Originally posted by BillsMan80
Nobody ever said that Jones was hobbling. All that was said was that they weren't going to rush him back and let him take his time to get back into playing shape. Jones will be back and will be a force on our DLine. Especially with the talent around him.

Jones should have progressed much more than has been reported if his injury was not a concern. I am doubting that he's healed or even that the team has realistic hopes that he'll be healed.

Either way, it was a decent signing. We had the cap space and it won't detract too much from our cap situation if we had to cut him. It'll be interesting in camp how he does, whether he looks agile.

I'm w/ some of you however, including Fever. Just as with Posey, Jones has had one good season in 6, so I'm not gonna get all hyped up that he'll all of a sudden revert to that form of one season when he played RDE and hope that he doesn't play like he's played for the other 5 seasons.

Any reasoning person would temper their optimism over Jones that way, especially coming off of a significant injury w/o reports that it's rehabbing/healing well.

Doc
07-13-2003, 09:52 PM
Originally posted by Wys Guy

Jones should have progressed much more than has been reported if his injury was not a concern. I am doubting that he's healed or even that the team has realistic hopes that he'll be healed.

And you base this on what?

WG
07-13-2003, 10:05 PM
What are you basing your statements on? Sheer hope w/o any substance?

Well, perhaps in your challenging this you can run out and find all the media clips stating how well Jones, who will have been injured for more than a full year once the season starts.

I've had 7 knee surgeries and can tell you that if I had taken over 12 months or even close to recoup from any of those that my doc would have been incredibly concerned. I can assure you that he has doctors at least as good as mine was and has trainers working w/ him at least 10 times the frequency and overall observation than I ever had, or usually.

To put it in perspective, McGahee suffered his over 4 months after Jones suffered his, which is far worse than Jones' was reported to be, and he is expected to be ready to play sometime this season per recent TD statements!

See the difference?!?!

Or is over a year in rehab a good sign to you? B/c it sure isn't to anyone knowing anything about knee surgeries and their associated rehab times!!

Jones tore some meniscus, or cartilage! McGahee ripped up three tendons if I'm not mistaken. At least two anyway, a far more serious injury and he's being reported as making good progress.

So just provide all the links to all the "good news" that you've heard about Jones and perhaps I'll believe that over your inflatedly optimistic word. Sorry for doubting your medical knowledge and keen awareness of Jones' injury status, but hey, call me stupid and skeptical.

:D

WG
07-13-2003, 10:08 PM
BTW Doc, wanna make a ZB wager?

Any amount; I say that Jones doesn't start more than 2 games this season.

What say ye!

Doc
07-13-2003, 10:20 PM
I don't know Wys, did you realize that Jones had surgery on his knee back in November? From what I recall, he was originally misdiagnosed or the rehab wasn't going well because he needed that surgery but needed someone to pay for it after being released by the Bucs. Now you could compare him to McGahee all you want, but don't let the facts that McGahee himself likely won't play until December, him being 21, and being an incredobly fast healer, mar an otherwise perfect comparison. Every report I read is that the Bills were easing Jones back slowly so as to prevent him from suffering a setback. Given the fact that he's a veteran, they probably felt he could miss the mini-camps. Just the other day Donahoe says that Jones will be ready for training camp. Why did he say that if it wasn't true? Better off to keep his mouth shut rather than make a claim that has a good likelihood of not being true. But hey, I know that you harbor a grudge against Donahoe for some reason, and I HOPE it's not because he got rid of RJ.

Doc
07-13-2003, 10:22 PM
I'll take that bet. I'll bet every ZB I have by the time Jones starts his 2nd game OR when he retires, is placed on IR, or the season is about to end and he has no shot at starting 2 games.

WG
07-13-2003, 10:35 PM
Originally posted by Doc
I don't know Wys, did you realize that Jones had surgery on his knee back in November? From what I recall, he was originally misdiagnosed or the rehab wasn't going well because he needed that surgery but needed someone to pay for it after being released by the Bucs. Now you could compare him to McGahee all you want, but don't let the facts that McGahee himself likely won't play until December, him being 21, and being an incredobly fast healer, mar an otherwise perfect comparison. Every report I read is that the Bills were easing Jones back slowly so as to prevent him from suffering a setback. Given the fact that he's a veteran, they probably felt he could miss the mini-camps. Just the other day Donahoe says that Jones will be ready for training camp. Why did he say that if it wasn't true? Better off to keep his mouth shut rather than make a claim that has a good likelihood of not being true. But hey, I know that you harbor a grudge against Donahoe for some reason, and I HOPE it's not because he got rid of RJ.

Gee Doc,

Seems like he was placed on IR on Sept. 2nd just prior the openers!

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/articles/20021118/440058.html
&
http://www.sptimes.com/2002/09/02/Bucs/Bucs_lose_DE_Jones_fo.shtml

"Jones was hurt in a preseason game on Aug. 24, and opened the regular season on the Buccaneers' injured reserve list."

Just b/c we signed him off IR w/ a knee injury doesn't mean he sustained that injury after we signed him. He didn't see a down for us last season in uniform. We knew we were getting an injured player who wasn't going to play the rest of the season. I have no idea what Jones' doctors decided and whether he had multiple surgeries or what, but the fact is that he was injured in a PS game on August 24th which makes the one-year anniversary right around the corner on this.

We signed him in late/mid November about 6 weeks after the Bucs had released him.

But hey, don't believe me, you can read, go check it out for yourself.

I'll take that wager then. Except let's predetermine an amount of ZBs now. How many thousand ZBs would you like to wager?

Halbert
07-13-2003, 10:36 PM
I'll put 579 ZB's on that bet.

Halbert
07-13-2003, 10:36 PM
No wait, I mean 581.

Halbert
07-13-2003, 10:37 PM
No wait, I mean 583.

Halbert
07-13-2003, 10:37 PM
No wait ...

WG
07-13-2003, 10:38 PM
LOL

It's 581 now...

:D

Doc,

BTW, a year is usually the amount of time that a good surgeon is more than comfortable with in having athletes return to full strenght workouts, not simply "starting to move around"!

Something's wrong w/ Jones. It's a sucker bet, but hey, if you want to make it, just send me a PM.

Doc
07-13-2003, 10:44 PM
I'll bet 1000 ZB's. Oh and Jones suffered the injury with the Bucs in pre-season, but he had surgery AFTER he joined the Bills. Here is the link:

http://www.billsdaily.com/injury.html

...and here is an excerpt:

" Marcus Jones had knee surgery shortly after signing with the Bills. He is expected to be ready to go full tilt for training camp."

WG
07-13-2003, 11:20 PM
Oh boy, news from a fan site! Gosh!

Have ya got anything from TD or the Bills organization?

Well, OK, I didn't realize he hadn't had the surgery until he got here. I'm wondering why not? Seems fishy for a player who was only supposed to be out for 6 weeks initially.

Nevertheless, it was a simple cartilage repair, that's what meniscus is. First of all, it likely wasn't a full tear or he would have had surgery immediately. So if in fact this is all at face value, then a simple meniscus tear should have taken a couple of months max to heal up. At most!

There's something here that isn't being reported. A meniscus repair is an arthroscopic procedure in most cases. The repair itself doesn't take months to heal unless something is wrong.

I'm tellin' ya, McGahee's injury is far, far worse and he's on the exact same schedule being talked about being ready only 10 months or so following his surgery.

I'll take your wager, but don't say I didn't warn ya. He hasn't even set foot on the field yet or made the team. I'll shoot ya a PM to verify.

Doc
07-14-2003, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by Wys Guy
Oh boy, news from a fan site! Gosh!

I seriously hope you appreciate the hilarity of that statement Wys.

As for Jones, he had surgery initially after the injury, but as I said, needed surgery again and needed to latch on with a team to get it done. Having been in the medical field for over 10 years, I can tell you that a nagging injury that requires surgery that has to be delayed only prolongs the subsequent recovery period. In any case, we'll make the bet and see how many games Jones starts, if any.

venis2k1
07-14-2003, 11:31 AM
i know ive told this story before, but i completly tore my Lateral Meniscus my junior year in high school playing football in the second to last game. i had surgury, and worked hard all offseason to get back, i was never the same player though, i was slower off the snap, and slower in persuit. and i never FULLY recovered from it, i played basketball for about 4 hours yesterday, and my knee is killing me today. im not sayin that jones wont come back 100%, all im sayin is that i didnt with an almost identical injury.

WG
07-14-2003, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by Doc

I seriously hope you appreciate the hilarity of that statement Wys.

As for Jones, he had surgery initially after the injury, but as I said, needed surgery again and needed to latch on with a team to get it done. Having been in the medical field for over 10 years, I can tell you that a nagging injury that requires surgery that has to be delayed only prolongs the subsequent recovery period. In any case, we'll make the bet and see how many games Jones starts, if any.

LOL Doc!!!

Yeah, I should have put an adjective in there, eh! LOL

Well, the point stands. We document our reports better than any site I've seen and go out of our way to ensure that our info is credible. Just b/c some other sub-par fan site says it's so, doesn't mean it is.

Again, the key word in your last statement is "nagging injury."

I cannot imagine that more than 5, maybe 6 on a weird stroke, DEs make the roster. Right now we have Irons, Denney, Kelsay, and a healthy McKenzie who will definitely make it barring some sort of season-ending injury for McK. Add in Schobel who's the only starter we currently have, and I say it's not even guaranteed that Jones make the roster. IMO if he's not 100% ready-to-go, he ain't even makin' the team. Throw in a healthy Bowers and who knows. Jones is a S/T fix anyway so the FO, hopefully, isn't going to waste a lot of space and energy on yet another injury puppy.

We'll see is right. But there are way too many ifs for me to see Jones starting. Even assuming he's entirely healthy, I can see Irons beating him out. Jones' performance at LDE for the Bucs surely wasn't overly impressive w/ only 3 sacks. Irons got that in extremely limited PT and few starts last season.

Again, I think your position is geared all around a bunch of untempered enthusiasm. I wish it were so too, but reality tells me it ain't happenin'!

;)

Doc
07-14-2003, 06:45 PM
I'm not looking for Jones to get anywhere NEAR the 13 sacks he got in TB (as a RDE), although it would be nice (major DUH there!). I'm looking for him to stop the run and at least contain the QB, both of which would be upgrades over Shidi.

Halbert
07-15-2003, 09:00 PM
How many ZB's you up to on this bet, Wys? Looks like you've got plenty. I might have to do an all night post fest if I lose. lol.

TedMock
07-16-2003, 07:46 AM
The whole thing is a little fishy. I hope as much as anyone else that he's full strength. A meniscus tear is really not that severe. My fiance ran a marathon with a torn meniscus. It hurt like hell but she did it. She had surgery a couple of weeks after and healed very quickly. She started running again within 2 months and then went through a 7 month exercise training for work where she ran 4 times a week and she's fine. To borrow a cliche', I'm cautiously optimistic with Jones. He's either fine and has been or there's much more to this injury.