X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tatonka
    • Jul 2002

Josh Reed - 1740 yards

just wanted to remind everyone.. i know josh reed showed a lot last year.. as a rookie.. but it seems some really think he is gonna be one of those 500-700 yard type receivers.. others think he cant get deep.. he is slow.. ect.. while he looked great to me last year.. i just wanted to let some of you that where not aware know a bit about his 2001 season, and what he did at LSU.. he is capable, and everyone is gonna forget about peerless. i dont care if it was "just" college.. this guy performed like an absolute man among boys.. every time i go back and look at these numbers, i just cant help but think what a steal we got in the second round.

As a junior in 2001, Reed set numerous Southeastern Conference and school records in helping the Tigers to their first outright conference title

since 1986 and a berth in the Sugar Bowl. LSU beat then-No. 2 Tennessee, 31-20, in the SEC Championship game and then followed that with a 47-34 victory over then-No. 7 Illinois in the Sugar Bowl. The Tigers finished the year with a 10-3 overall mark.

For the year, Reed caught 94 passes for 1,740 yards and seven touchdowns.

The 1,740 receiving yards ranked first in the nation and marked the highest single-season total in SEC history. Reed's average of 145.0 yards per game also led the nation and broke the SEC record. Reed broke 15 school or SEC records in 2001.

Reed's 94 receptions broke the school-record and ranked as the second highest single-season total in SEC history.

In 13 games for the Tigers in 2001, Reed had 11 100-yard receiving games, a school-record, and he twice went over the 200-yard mark. Reed set an SEC record with 293 yards on a league record 19 receptions in the Tigers' 35-21 win over Alabama on Nov. 3. Reed also set a pair of pair of Sugar Bowl record with 14 receptions for 239 yards in the Tiger win over the Illini.

Reed led the SEC in three categories - receiving yards per game (145.0), receptions per game (7.8) and all-purpose yards (155.0). Reed ranked third nationally in receptions per game and he was 11th in the nation in all-purpose yards.

Reed, who played wide receiver for just 26 regular-season games at LSU, became the first 3,000-yard receiver in SEC history as he capped his Tiger career with 3,001 yards. In his first full season at wide receiver in 2000, Reed caught 65 passes for 1,127 yards and 10 touchdowns.

For his career, Reed finished with 167 receptions for 3,001 yards and 17 touchdowns. Reed also rushed for 63 yards and one touchdown. Reed also recorded 18 100-yard receiving games for the Tigers, a school-record.
    "All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe
  • Tatonka
    • Jul 2002

ps.. how do you get 1740 yards without getting "deep"?
    "All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe

Comment

• Dozerdog
      In a jar, on a shelf, next to the unopened Miracle Whip.

Administrator Emeritus
      • Jul 2002

YAC!

Comment

• Tatonka
        • Jul 2002

1740 yards of YAC?

nope.

alot may be yac.. but he can get past people with sweet moves...

moulds is not the fastest guy out there either.. but if you run good routes, people cant cover you.

Comment

• lordofgun
          in charge of you

Administrator Emeritus
          • Jul 2002

A lot of price's yards were YAC too. Price didn't go deep very often either.

<a href="http://www.buzzdash.com/index.php?page=buzzbite&amp;BB_id=119588">Do you like me?</a> | <a href="http://www.buzzdash.com">BuzzDash polls</a>

Comment

• Dozerdog
            In a jar, on a shelf, next to the unopened Miracle Whip.

Administrator Emeritus
            • Jul 2002

Some of his more memorable long TDs- the Minnesota OT catch, the second Miami TD catch were both 15-20 yard patterns in which he made a sweet move and ran for the rest

Comment

• CajunBillsBacker
              100% Cajun
              • Jul 2002

Preach on Brotha! You dont have to remind me what Josh Reed is all about. The guy just simply amazes me among many others with his knack for getting open. I tell you, NO, and I mean abslolutely NO DB(you hear me Sam Madison and Patrick Sertain) in the NFL can cover this guy one on one. Soon enough everyone will learn this. Any defensive coordinator who goes into the game against the Bills with the gameplan to double and triple coverage Eric Moulds leaving single coverage by a 3rd DB or even a safety on Reed should be searching for a new profession next offseason. You will see early and often after Bledsoe finds him many series where Reed with catch 3-4 passes in a row. You'll here "Reed Again" many times this season.

Comment

• lordofgun
                in charge of you

Administrator Emeritus
                • Jul 2002

Now I'm getting excited.

<a href="http://www.buzzdash.com/index.php?page=buzzbite&amp;BB_id=119588">Do you like me?</a> | <a href="http://www.buzzdash.com">BuzzDash polls</a>

Comment

• mvb1781
                  Chris Berman's Taxi Driver
                  • May 2003

i remembered Reed being the man in college but i had no idea he was that good when i worked at the bills camp last year he was the man that everyone was talkin about his Hands r soo small but he can grab anything around him also he is a tank not like that freak called DAVID BOSTON but he can block and take hits over the middle unlike PRICE
                  i also totally agree that Price wasnt a huge deep threat but rather all about YAC

Comment

• lordofgun
                    in charge of you

Administrator Emeritus
                    • Jul 2002

Moulds is the deep threat in this offense. Reed doesn't have to be.

Comment

• The_Philster
                      • Jul 2002

And we've also got Jett who can stretch the field. Maybe he can't catch much, but he can draw away one defender rom underneath coverage.
                      The Buffalo Pro Cheer Blog...Positive coverage of Buffalo's Pro Cheerleaders since 2001!

Comment

• Jan Reimers
                        Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
                        • May 2003

Reed has about the same 40 time as Andre Reed. He has football speed, moves, the ability to separate, toughness, great hands, and certainly the ability to run after the catch. In some areas - at least YAC and hands - he is superior to Price. I think he will have a great year.
                        Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• ryven
                          • Jan 2003

Great read thx, Josh will be nightmare for most teams if they dont respect him.

Comment

• Tatonka
                            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by mvb1781
                            i remembered Reed being the man in college but i had no idea he was that good.
                            yeah.. alot of people dont realize what the guy can do.. 11 out of 13 games he had 100+ yards, and for the season.. he average 145 yards a game.. are you kidding me? wow.

Originally posted by lordofgun
                            Now I'm getting excited.
                            lets keep the topic on football.. and i am married, but thanks.

Originally posted by lordofgun
                            Moulds is the deep threat in this offense. Reed doesn't have to be.
                            that is the beauty of it.. i think he can be.. a lot more than people think.

Comment

• Doc
                              • Dec 2002

Price could beat people deep...but couldn't catch it when he got the ball thrown to him. That is what infuriated me about him, as well as not fighting for balls thrown his way. His fumbles also sucked and his inability to block was frustrating.

Comment

Working...
                              X