PDA

View Full Version : Why we haven't done anything in Free Agency (From Chris Brown)

Michael82
03-15-2013, 04:12 PM
You guys will love this little nugget that Brown spewed today on twitter for why we are being so quiet in Free Agency and why we arent even hosting anyone.....

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>@<a href="https://twitter.com/caggiano_">caggiano_</a> Yeah bigger issue is <a href="https://twitter.com/search/%23Bills">#Bills</a> brass is on road scouting pro days. Hard to hold FA visits right now.</p>&mdash; Chris Brown (@ChrisBrownBills) <a href="https://twitter.com/ChrisBrownBills/status/312642957226438657">March 15, 2013</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

more cowbell
03-15-2013, 04:17 PM
This organization is so poorly run in every facet it's just astounding

BertSquirtgum
03-15-2013, 04:19 PM
Isn't the scouting supposed to start next week after you sign the free agent(s) you think will help your team? Bunch of ******s. Can't wait to regret the 1200 dollars spent on season tickets again.

coastal
03-15-2013, 04:21 PM
Isn't the scouting supposed to start next week after you sign the free agent(s) you think will help your team? Bunch of ******s. Can't wait to regret the 1200 dollars spent on season tickets again.
I'd make a dozen comments about this mess but I'm trying to repent.

Michael82
03-15-2013, 04:23 PM
This organization is so poorly run in every facet it's just astounding

No wonder no one wants to come here. We have become the Cincinnati Bungles right now. :puke:

:blowup: :mad: :wail:

SABURZFAN
03-15-2013, 04:25 PM
Chris Brown is the Bills little lapdog. go chase your tail, Brownie..... :rolleyes:

Ed
03-15-2013, 04:27 PM
So the Bills are the only team that scouts pro days? Are they in a different boat than the rest of the league that finds a way to sign free agents and attend pro days?

I know Chris Brown has to be a Bills apologist, but this is pretty lame even coming from him.

Slim
03-15-2013, 04:28 PM
I hope this isn't true.

BertSquirtgum
03-15-2013, 04:30 PM
I'm insensitive. And I violated the TOS.

black N yellow
03-15-2013, 04:32 PM
taking any "news" from anything chris brown writes is like relying on a product review which was written by its manufacturer.

YardRat
03-15-2013, 04:36 PM
Not a very good rationalization.

TrEd FTW
03-15-2013, 04:43 PM
Not sure who's a bigger joke, the Bills or their minister of propaganda who has the gall to call himself a "lead journalist."

cookie G
03-15-2013, 04:48 PM
I also will promise that anyone who knows me and has worked with me knows that I will leave no stone unturned in taking this organization to a world class level. My college coach used to say, I think Thomas Edison said this, my college coach used to say all of the time ‘You find me a satisfied man and I will show you a failure.’ The one thing about me and how we approach things is I am, and it probably is a little of a curse too and a blessing, but I am rarely satisfied. We will not sit on our hands until we take this to another level. That is certainly a promise that I provide our fans.

~Russ Brandon, upon taking the helm of the ship.

kingJofNYC
03-15-2013, 04:57 PM

Just light it on fire right now.

BLeonard
03-15-2013, 05:01 PM

"Who's the more foolish, the fool, or the fool who follows him?" - Obi-Wan Kenobi

Simple solution: Wanna not regret spending $1200 on Season Tickets? Stop buying them. Enough people do that, then you might see some positive results.

They're in a new lease now, so the whole "they'll move the team if we don't buy tickets" excuse doesn't fly.

-Bill

BertSquirtgum
03-15-2013, 05:04 PM
"Who's the more foolish, the fool, or the fool who follows him?" - Obi-Wan Kenobi

Simple solution: Wanna not regret spending $1200 on Season Tickets? Stop buying them. Enough people do that, then you might see some positive results.

They're in a new lease now, so the whole "they'll move the team if we don't buy tickets" excuse doesn't fly.

-Bill

Can't. I'm addicted to pain.

Pinkerton Security
03-15-2013, 05:15 PM
This is ridiculous, even to this positive thinker.

Parzival
03-15-2013, 05:26 PM
What a load of BS!!!

Basically, "we're too busy to do our jobs". Totally inept.

Jeff1220
03-15-2013, 05:40 PM
Idk if there is a worse possible excuse.

Mahdi
03-15-2013, 06:10 PM
This comment should infuriate every bills fan.

Russ out...

imbondz
03-15-2013, 06:58 PM
but it's exactly what we thought was going on.

Mahdi
03-15-2013, 07:00 PM
but it's exactly what we thought was going on.

Yeah jokingly.

Don't think anyone actually thought we were this dysfunctional.

kingJofNYC
03-15-2013, 07:00 PM
The bigger issue is that they're wont be any changes until Ralph dies and the team is sold.

X-Era
03-15-2013, 07:04 PM
Really guys?

So Chris Brown tells you that they aren't overly concerned with the FA market but are more focused on the draft and you take that to mean they are just blindly out looking at prospects and not realizing FA is open and running?

If they are skipping FA it is a calculated and intentional move.

No, I don't totally agree with the lack of movement in FA to date. But, it's far, far, from over and many very good players are still out there.

What I think may be happening is that they don't want to pay top dollar for any of these guys and if they don't, there is no need to jump into the fray right away.

This is intentional. Russ is not ignorant. It could be intentional and the wrong move, I admit that. But it isn't because they don't realize FA is happening.

Mahdi
03-15-2013, 07:11 PM
Really guys?

So Chris Brown tells you that they aren't overly concerned with the FA market but are more focused on the draft and you take that to mean they are just blindly out looking at prospects and not realizing FA is open and running?

If they are skipping FA it is a calculated and intentional move.

No, I don't totally agree with the lack of movement in FA to date. But, it's far, far, from over and many very good players are still out there.

What I think may be happening is that they don't want to pay top dollar for any of these guys and if they don't, there is no need to jump into the fray right away.

This is intentional. Russ is not ignorant. It could be intentional and the wrong move, I admit that. But it isn't because they don't realize FA is happening.

However the reason Brown is giving is that they don't have time to host FAs because they are on the road. That is a lame excuse and insulting to the intelligence of fans. If they are strategically avoiding FA they should say so instead of basically admitting they are incompetent.

X-Era
03-15-2013, 07:16 PM
However the reason Brown is giving is that they don't have time to host FAs because they are on the road. That is a lame excuse and insulting to the intelligence of fans. If they are strategically avoiding FA they should say so instead of basically admitting they are incompetent.
Who should say so? The actual front office who goes about there business and rarely tells us exactly what they plan to do?

A reporter for the Bills who reports only his observations without fully knowing what the front office is doing?

It's a calculated move and Chris Brown simply chose a poor way to describe it.

But we should be able to read into what he really meant.

Let me fix it:

"The Bills brass is taking a watch and wait approach to free agency as they focus more on the draft"

Mahdi
03-15-2013, 08:55 PM
Who should say so? The actual front office who goes about there business and rarely tells us exactly what they plan to do?

A reporter for the Bills who reports only his observations without fully knowing what the front office is doing?

Let me fix it:

"The Bills brass is taking a watch and wait approach to free agency as they focus more on the draft"

I get being patient in FA but I think they are taking it to a whole new level. They can't afford to be this inactive. There are too many holes and only 6 picks. I think the real issue is that they are having trouble bringing guys in.

bigbub2352
03-15-2013, 08:57 PM
We. Are a joke

Mr. Miyagi
03-15-2013, 09:05 PM
Really? "We're too busy" is the excuse?

**** this team.

GingerP
03-15-2013, 09:39 PM

Players are already signing for shorter money. The first wave ended already and the Tier 2 guys are signing up fast.

I can't believe Chris Brown wrote that. Even if it is true, it was dumb to write it.

YardRat
03-15-2013, 10:01 PM

Let me fix it:

Even if it were worded in that manner, it's still unacceptable. If you don't have any interest in participating in FA other than one LBer, just come out and say so...don't give the impression that you aren't capable of doing both at the same time.

clumping platelets
03-15-2013, 11:13 PM
There is no one else in the Bills organization who can host FAs?

jills
03-15-2013, 11:24 PM
In other words, we are the most inept organization in the entire NFL.

*facepalm

jamze132
03-16-2013, 01:30 AM
Tha Dolphibs have signed 3 dudes that could have helped the Bills. I guess they aren't going to partake in the draft because they're focusing on FA.

What a joke this organization is.

TedMock
03-16-2013, 04:20 AM
Does anybody actually believe this to be true? It's the dumbest thing Brown has ever said in his many years of coming up with crap to shine positive light on all situations. The team is no doubt keeping an eye onboth sides like everybody else. Yesterday, Brant said now that the initial overspending is over, he recieved a couple of texts from different agents and things have slowed down drastically. Said it is definitely a buyers market now. Hopefully weland 1 or 2 now.

IAG
03-16-2013, 06:43 AM
How do other teams go to pro days yet sign FA's? Unreal.

RedEyE
03-16-2013, 06:58 AM
What exactly are they paying their scouts to do? They saw these guys at the combine, the Senior Bowl (except Geno) and Im sure they've studied tape until their eyes bled. The pro day isnt going to give you any better of a warm fuzzy.

So when free agency starts they sign Manny Lawson, fail to land their own free agents (something that could have been prevented months before) and then boogie out of town. Meanwhile every other team in the division has enhanced their rosters.

Nix and Russ are sitting at Dennys this morning discussing and adjusting their 6 draft picks.

I would be shocked if this team wins more than 3 games this year.

X-Era
03-16-2013, 07:25 AM
I get being patient in FA but I think they are taking it to a whole new level. They can't afford to be this inactive. There are too many holes and only 6 picks. I think the real issue is that they are having trouble bringing guys in.Strategy.

The Bills know they have an all new staff with all new schemes and changes that require new players.
They have let go of many of the players that needed to go which left holes.
I think we also know a rookie is likely to be our starting QB next year.

So on a new staff, with a rookie QB, and all new schemes to adapt to we should be spending big to win now? The Bills probably feel like they need the right role players at the right price and that on a young and new team that needs pieces they should use draft more than FA at this point.

I think they will make the changes in scheme this year, draft and start the rookie QB and use this year to establish the new team. But with the cap carryover from this year, they can fill in and upgrade specific spots from FA and the draft in the future. Wood is the only significant UFA next year. And after a full year of establishing the new team, with it's new QB, and all new defense, they can lock up Wood next year and make some significant splashes to fill in with top talent that will fit well with the new team.

I'd look for them to add skill position players, that they intend to start as #1's either right away or in the next year, from the draft. QB, WR, and maybe even a LB spot probably will come from the draft. So don't be looking for a #2 WR, starting QB, or probably even a starting LB from FA at this point. I think they will target more players like Lawson who can provide some solid play but won't cost so much that they must start and prevent rookies from playing. I'd look for mid tier FA's at positions like SS and G. I do think the could sign another solid backup type at LB. And we could see a #3 WR type. But none of that should be expensive and will leave us with a good deal of cap room to use later in the year if we choose or roll-over to next year where we will have a much more clear idea of how it all fits together.

I think that is their philosophy right now.

It's not a total rebuild. But it is modifying the layout of the team. And it will take a year or longer to play like a solid team no matter who they sign right now. And the success of the team will be very much affected by starting a rookie QB... I wanted Greg Jennings for example. Would we get our 10 mill per out of Jennings when he has a rookie QB throwing to him this year? That's just one example.

None of us want to be patient. But the Bills are practicing patience because this is going to take a year or so.

X-Era
03-16-2013, 07:28 AM
Even if it were worded in that manner, it's still unacceptable. If you don't have any interest in participating in FA other than one LBer, just come out and say so...don't give the impression that you aren't capable of doing both at the same time.
Chris Brown is not a member of the Bills Front Office. I think it's critical to remember that. He doesn't necessarily speak for the team.

I think many of us assume that if he states an opinion on say a Fan Friday he's telling you what the Bills have told him they are going to do... And that is simply not the case.

X-Era
03-16-2013, 07:31 AM
Guys. Even if you have no respect for Nix...

Do you honestly think Russ Brandon would allow everyone to ignore FA and go on the road when they had already talked about signing FA's?

There is only one logical conclusion to why they aren't participating right now... It's because they have already planned not to.

X-Era
03-16-2013, 07:35 AM
What exactly are they paying their scouts to do? They saw these guys at the combine, the Senior Bowl (except Geno) and Im sure they've studied tape until their eyes bled. The pro day isnt going to give you any better of a warm fuzzy.

So when free agency starts they sign Manny Lawson, fail to land their own free agents (something that could have been prevented months before) and then boogie out of town. Meanwhile every other team in the division has enhanced their rosters.

Nix and Russ are sitting at Dennys this morning discussing and adjusting their 6 draft picks.

I would be shocked if this team wins more than 3 games this year.
Do you honestly think that wasn't their plan?

Not to pay top dollar for a LG?
Not to pay top dollar for anyone when we haven't played a single down with the new offensive or defensive schemes?
To evaluate the QB prospects from top to bottom and in every way possible when you intend to draft and start a rookie QB?

Can we please stop assuming they are all just running around with no plan?

Jan Reimers
03-16-2013, 07:43 AM
I was actually looking forward to free agency. Now, looking at what the Dolphins and other teams are doing, I just want to throw up.

It reinforces why I care so little about the Bills after all these years.

X-Era
03-16-2013, 07:50 AM
I was actually looking forward to free agency. Now, looking at what the Dolphins and other teams are doing, I just want to throw up.

It reinforces why I care so little about the Bills after all these years.
On paper, they are better than the Bills. But I wouldn't be surprised if they spent all that money and still end up out of the playoffs or even .500.

coastal
03-16-2013, 07:53 AM
Who is assuming? Did you listen to Buddy Nix phone conversation?

X-Era
03-16-2013, 08:00 AM
Who is assuming? Did you listen to Buddy Nix phone conversation?Yes I did. I must have missed the part where he said the Bills had no plan.

If anything he told you he had a plan with what he was doing with Fitz.

RedEyE
03-16-2013, 08:17 AM
If they do have a plan its a ****ty one.

Novacane
03-16-2013, 08:22 AM
Does anybody actually believe this to be true? It's the dumbest thing Brown has ever said in his many years of coming up with crap to shine positive light on all situations. The team is no doubt keeping an eye onboth sides like everybody else. Yesterday, Brant said now that the initial overspending is over, he recieved a couple of texts from different agents and things have slowed down drastically. Said it is definitely a buyers market now. Hopefully weland 1 or 2 now.

This is exactly what's going on. Reading 1/2 the posts in this thread apparently a lot of people do believe it to be true. Come on people! The stupid response came from Chris Brown. Not anyone important. Calm down!

X-Era
03-16-2013, 08:28 AM
The most critical position on the field, we are drafting and probably starting one this year, but were dumb for sending our front office to the pro-days to do the best possible job of evaluation?

So we can sign mid-level guys who will still be out there even a week from now and will likely will be supplanted by youth or need to be upgraded in the next few years anyways?

“I think now is the time for us,” said Nix. “You’re trying harder to make sure that you know every little thing. We’re turning over every stone to make sure we know all there is to know possibly about these players.”

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-2/Bills-take-in-QB-Wilsons-pro-day/3aeae838-92d7-4fc6-9f62-eb5c164d6071

X-Era
03-16-2013, 08:32 AM
If they do have a plan its a ****ty one.Now that is more like it. I don't agree with it totally. But I see the rationale. I would have liked to add a few guys that you know can fit no matter what we do. But I do feel like the whole class was weak and because of that I'd like to make smart money moves.

I'd still feel real good about what we did if we landed Dansby to a multi-year deal, Bart Scott or Calvin Pace on a one year deal, a G like Kevin Boothe, and a SS like Leonhard. All are possible and I don't think we have to sign any of them right away.

One thing that the Bills do as of late that I'm not a huge fan of is shy away from vet OL. The sign UDFA's or guys on the cheap and develop them. Theres guys in the draft that I like as well. Brian Winters is a guy that I think can start early.

RedEyE
03-16-2013, 10:20 AM
I understand not signing Levitre for 8$ million a year. I really do. But what's the back up plan? Beacause if plan B was Rinehart, they botched that pretty horribly. If plan C is free agency, they aren't doing a hell of a job with that either. If plan D is the draft, then they still fudged free agency because they have only 6 draft picks to fill some pretty hefty holes. Which means they need to be active in free agency.

These guys suck pretty bad.

X-Era
03-16-2013, 10:21 AM
I understand not signing Levitre for 8$ million a year. I really do. But what's the back up plan? Beacause if plan B was Rinehart, they botched that pretty horribly. If plan C is free agency, they aren't doing a hell of a job with that either. If plan D is the draft, then they still fudged free agency because they have only 6 draft picks to fill some pretty hefty holes. Which means they need to be active in free agency.

These guys suck pretty bad.I can't disagree with that assessment. I only think FA isn't over yet.

SABURZFAN
03-16-2013, 10:40 AM
:lolpoint:
I'm insensitive. And I violated the TOS.

SABURZFAN
03-16-2013, 10:42 AM
What a load of BS!!!

Basically, "we're too busy to do our jobs". Totally inept.

reminds me of our government.

SABURZFAN
03-16-2013, 10:46 AM
Players are already signing for shorter money. The first wave ended already and the Tier 2 guys are signing up fast.

I can't believe Chris Brown wrote that. Even if it is true, it was dumb to write it.

I can. he'll piss in our ears and tell us that it's raining when this deadbeat organization tells him.

SABURZFAN
03-16-2013, 10:49 AM
Chris Brown is not a member of the Bills Front Office. I think it's critical to remember that. He doesn't necessarily speak for the team.

we know that and YES he does.

X-Era
03-16-2013, 10:52 AM
we know that and YES he does.Sabz, no he doesn't man. He simply talks to the front office more than anyone else and draws his own conclusions. They don't tell him anything that they wouldn't tell any other reporter. He has stated his thoughts on what they would do multiple times and been wrong.

And the bigger issue with this whole post is about how many intepreted what he said. He wasn't saying that the Bills want to sign FA's right now, that FA's want to come here or visit, but that the Bills all collectively screwed up and left town at the same time and now are stuck on the road when they want to be back in Buffalo visiting and signing FA's.

It's a ridiculous way to interpret that.

They are on the road because they planned to be. And also plan to not be signing FA's right now. But who knows how long right now is. Everyone can be back in Buffalo from anywhere in the U.S. same day so really since the tweet was made yesterday, everyone could be back in Buffalo right now.

better days
03-16-2013, 11:11 AM
Sabz, no he doesn't man. He simply talks to the front office more than anyone else and draws his own conclusions. They don't tell him anything that they wouldn't tell any other reporter. He has stated his thoughts on what they would do multiple times and been wrong.

And the bigger issue with this whole post is about how many intepreted what he said. He wasn't saying that the Bills want to sign FA's right now, that FA's want to come here or visit, but that the Bills all collectively screwed up and left town at the same time and now are stuck on the road when they want to be back in Buffalo visiting and signing FA's.

They are on the road because they planned to be. And also plan to not be signing FA's right now. But who knows how long right now is. Everyone can be back in Buffalo from anywhere in the U.S. same day so really since the tweet was made yesterday, everyone could be back in Buffalo right now.

And since Overdorf does the contracts, it is possible for Nix & Whaley to attend pro days while Overdorf is working on getting guys signed. As I said before, nobody knew about Lawson until after he was signed.

YardRat
03-16-2013, 11:27 AM

I think many of us assume that if he states an opinion on say a Fan Friday he's telling you what the Bills have told him they are going to do... And that is simply not the case.

Then he shouldn't have said it. Brownie has been around long enough that if he didn't have some substance to base his comments on there would have been no reason to state it in that manner, and he would be scratching his head just as much as some around here are.

YardRat
03-16-2013, 11:28 AM
And since Overdorf does the contracts, it is possible for Nix & Whaley to attend pro days while Overdorf is working on getting guys signed. As I said before, nobody knew about Lawson until after he was signed.

If that were the case, then it wouldn't be hard to schedule visits while others are at pro days, so again, no reason for the comment.

X-Era
03-16-2013, 11:30 AM
Then he shouldn't have said it. Brownie has been around long enough that if he didn't have some substance to base his comments on there would have been no reason to state it in that manner, and he would be scratching his head just as much as some around here are.
The statement was factual. It's the fans here that are misinterpreting it. Fans read into it's implications and what the Bills are thinking and planning. None of that was stated by Chris.

Again, they are on the road because they intend to be on the road and also intend to be setting up visits with FA's at a later date.

YardRat
03-16-2013, 11:33 AM
The statement was factual. It's the fans here that are misinterpreting it.

C'mon now, X...let's be fair and consistent. In a previous post you described the statement as an opinion and alluded Brown has no inside info to base that opinion on. Now you're claiming the statement is factual, which would indicate he did base it on prior knowledge. It can't be both.

X-Era
03-16-2013, 11:38 AM
C'mon now, X...let's be fair and consistent. In a previous post you described the statement as an opinion and alluded Brown has no inside info to base that opinion on. Now you're claiming the statement is factual, which would indicate he did base it on prior knowledge. It can't be both.No. I said Brown gives opinions from time to time and that sometimes they are in fact wrong which would never happen if he truly were telling you what the FO has told him they were doing.

This is a situation where he is telling it like it is but fans are assuming it means we have no plans when in fact the plan is to not be signing any FA's right now.

Brown told us nothing about the Bills plans as far as FA with this tweet. He simply said they are all out doing pro-days and that there are no visits while they are gone.

Not how long they will be gone, not if they intend to sign any one else, not if or when they will again have visits, not if they will be on the road for weeks or just that day... none of it.

He really didn't give opinion here, it was a statement of the current facts and that is all.

It's all conjecture on whether we plan to sign anyone still and when. Personally, I feel we will sign a few more guys and that the intention was to sign mid level guys all along and that they aren't in a hurry to do so.

SABURZFAN
03-16-2013, 11:47 AM
Sabz, no he doesn't man. He simply talks to the front office more than anyone else and draws his own conclusions. They don't tell him anything that they wouldn't tell any other reporter. He has stated his thoughts on what they would do multiple times and been wrong.

so it's "ridiculous" that he says what the FO tells him or otherwise he wouldn't have said it. other teams are talking to FA AND scouting pro days. if they "all collectively screwed up and left town at the same time", then it shows what a bunch of inept stooges we have running this team. the team lapdog has exposed what most of us already knew.

SABURZFAN
03-16-2013, 11:50 AM
The statement was factual. It's the fans here that are misinterpreting it. Fans read into it's implications and what the Bills are thinking and planning. None of that was stated by Chris.

Again, they are on the road because they intend to be on the road and also intend to be setting up visits with FA's at a later date.

there's no misinterpreting at all. the Bills brass is inept!!!!!!!!!!

- - - Updated - - -

Do you honestly think that wasn't their plan?

Not to pay top dollar for a LG?
Not to pay top dollar for anyone when we haven't played a single down with the new offensive or defensive schemes?
To evaluate the QB prospects from top to bottom and in every way possible when you intend to draft and start a rookie QB?

if it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck......

X-Era
so it's "ridiculous" that he says what the FO tells him or otherwise he wouldn't have said it. other teams are talking to FA AND scouting pro days. if they "all collectively screwed up and left town at the same time", then it shows what a bunch of inept stooges we have running this team. the team lapdog has exposed what most of us already knew.
Huh?

They went scouting because they have no plans to be signing FA's right now. That was there plan... not some sort of unintentional screw up.

We can hate that plan but it was very much intentional.

GingerP
I know the Dolphins are active because they have been playing to a half-full stadium and are trying to get everyone excited. I know they have a stadium referendum coming up, and that is a factor in their free-agent spree. I know it may not work for them.

At least they are trying though.

It is hard to buy into the "they have a plan" when there is the last 13 years of evidence that shows they have no clue what they are doing. Even a team that is run bad should have a good year now and then. The Cardinals made a Super Bowl a few years ago. The Bengals were in the playoffs last year.

The Bills? They have no plan. Brandon isn't qualified to run a team. That is why they are sitting on their hands and watching Keller sign with Miami on a 1-Year deal while they have a black hole at TE. They lost their starting OG and his backup, and they haven't brought in Brandon Moore or Leroy Harris for a visit. It isn't like they have to spend much money to do that, but they don't know what to do.

The draft isn't going to solve all their problems.

SABURZFAN
03-16-2013, 11:52 AM

These guys suck pretty bad.

if they do have a plan, it'll be drafting Warmack at #8 to replace Levitre. he's a Day 1 starter. that's what this team needs.

X-Era
03-16-2013, 11:53 AM
I know the Dolphins are active because they have been playing to a half-full stadium and are trying to get everyone excited. I know they have a stadium referendum coming up, and that is a factor in their free-agent spree. I know it may not work for them.

At least they are trying though.

It is hard to buy into the "they have a plan" when there is the last 13 years of evidence that shows they have no clue what they are doing. Even a team that is run bad should have a good year now and then. The Cardinals made a Super Bowl a few years ago. The Bengals were in the playoffs last year.

The Bills? They have no plan. Brandon isn't qualified to run a team. That is why they are sitting on their hands and watching Keller sign with Miami on a 1-Year deal while they have a black hole at TE. They lost their starting OG and his backup, and they haven't brought in Brandon Moore or Leroy Harris for a visit. It isn't like they have to spend much money to do that, but they don't know what to do.

The draft isn't going to solve all their problems.
I never said their plan was a good one. Just that they have one that they are currently executing.

- - - Updated - - -

if they do have a plan, it'll be drafting Warmack at #8 to replace Levitre. he's a Day 1 starter. that's what this team needs.
Brian Winters. That's the guy I'd like. And i Think he lands in the 3rd round. Maybe even later.

SABURZFAN
03-16-2013, 11:53 AM
Huh?

They went scouting because they have no plans to be signing FA's right now. That was there plan... not some sort of unintentional screw up.

We can hate that plan but it was very much intentional.

it seems that other teams have their **** together. stop making excuses. you sound like a Licker. oh wait... nevermind. :snicker:

coastal
03-16-2013, 11:55 AM
Yes I did. I must have missed the part where he said the Bills had no plan.

If anything he told you he had a plan with what he was doing with Fitz.
Who put the Bills into the situation where we have to "reach" on a quaterback?

SABURZFAN
03-16-2013, 11:56 AM
Who put the Bills into the situation where we have to "reach" on a quaterback?

here's a hint.... he's a bumble.

X-Era
03-16-2013, 11:56 AM
Who put the Bills into the situation where we have to "reach" on a quaterback?The entire league and where they are drafting QB's these days did.

SABURZFAN
03-16-2013, 11:57 AM
The entire league and where they are drafting QB's these days did.

:roflmao:

stop it....

X-Era
03-16-2013, 11:58 AM

stop it....

:roflmao:It's true man. They are over-drafted almost every year.

X-Era
03-16-2013, 11:59 AM
it seems that other teams have their **** together. stop making excuses. you sound like a Licker. oh wait... nevermind. :snicker:
Like the Redskins you mean?

BertSquirtgum
03-16-2013, 12:04 PM

Indeed

Novacane
03-16-2013, 12:12 PM
Russel Wilson wasn't over drafted. He should have been a no brainer in round 3 for a team that needed a QB. That reason alone is why Buddy should have been fired along with Chan.

SABURZFAN
03-16-2013, 12:15 PM
Russel Wilson wasn't over drafted. He should have been a no brainer in round 3 for a team that needed a QB. That reason alone is why Buddy should have been fired along with Chan.

:clap:

YardRat
03-16-2013, 12:17 PM
No. I said Brown gives opinions from time to time and that sometimes they are in fact wrong which would never happen if he truly were telling you what the FO has told him they were doing.

This is a situation where he is telling it like it is but fans are assuming it means we have no plans when in fact the plan is to not be signing any FA's right now.

Brown told us nothing about the Bills plans as far as FA with this tweet. He simply said they are all out doing pro-days and that there are no visits while they are gone.

Not how long they will be gone, not if they intend to sign any one else, not if or when they will again have visits, not if they will be on the road for weeks or just that day... none of it.

He really didn't give opinion here, it was a statement of the current facts and that is all.

It's all conjecture on whether we plan to sign anyone still and when. Personally, I feel we will sign a few more guys and that the intention was to sign mid level guys all along and that they aren't in a hurry to do so.

That's kind of the point. If it is a fact that the front office can't handle free agency and scouting pro days at the same time, it confirms to a certain point that the people in charge are inept to a degree. Would have been much better if he had said the pro days were a higher priority right now and they wanted to focus all of their resources in that direction instead of laying out a rationalization.

X-Era
03-16-2013, 12:26 PM
So because Seattle found a 3rd rounder who took them to the playoffs Buddy should be fired? Then shouldn't every other GM who over-drafted a QB also be fired? Ohh and BTW, Seattle over-drafted Wilson in the 3rd round in the eyes of several pundits (Mayock is one).

Here's my list of teams that over-drafted a QB:

Panthers- Newton
Redksins- RG3
Titans- Locker
Bengals- Dalton
Vikes- Ponder
Jags- Gabbert
49ers- Kaepernick

That's off the top of my head.

This is Mayocks top 32 for 2011:

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/09000d5d81eb70a5/article/defensive-line-leads-the-way-on-list-of-top-32-prospects?module=HP_cp2

If you go strictly by where the QB prospects should be drafted, they get over-drafted every year.

Luck is really the only guy in the past 3-5 years that was drafted high in the 1st round and belonged there.

- - - Updated - - -

That's kind of the point. If it is a fact that the front office can't handle free agency and scouting pro days at the same time, it confirms to a certain point that the people in charge are inept to a degree. Would have been much better if he had said the pro days were a higher priority right now and they wanted to focus all of their resources in that direction instead of laying out a rationalization.
I agree he could have said it better.

DynaPaul
03-16-2013, 01:45 PM
Why does anyone even pay attention to anything Chris Brown says?

YardRat
03-16-2013, 02:45 PM

Because nobody else is saying a damn thing.

psubills62
03-16-2013, 02:55 PM
That's an extremely poor excuse to use.

YardRat
03-16-2013, 02:57 PM
That's an extremely poor excuse to use.

Touche' :beers:

SABURZFAN
03-18-2013, 04:10 PM

ask Mikey. he started this thread. :snicker:

BillsFever21
03-18-2013, 04:20 PM

That's why I gave mine up a few years ago after around a decade of having them. Especially after I started a new job where I had to work every third Sunday and wasn't scheduled for every Sunday off. It wasn't worth the time and money anymore to drive 90 miles away every Sunday to watch this debacle that you call a football team.

Once I didn't have every Sunday off anymore that was the final nail in the coffin. I did it for one year and had to use a few vacation days and trade the OT pay for regular pay just to watch a losing team. It wasn't worth losing about 1/3 of my vacation time, the hundreds of dollars a year in OT pay along with the hundreds of dollars a year it cost to attend every game. After that I just went to a game or two a year and last year I didn't attend any. The way our schedule fell there wasn't many early season games and it wasn't worth spending the money to attend a game in crappy weather to watch a meaningless game so I just stood pat.

Oaf
03-18-2013, 09:27 PM
That's why I gave mine up a few years ago after around a decade of having them. Especially after I started a new job where I had to work every third Sunday and wasn't scheduled for every Sunday off. It wasn't worth the time and money anymore to drive 90 miles away every Sunday to watch this debacle that you call a football team.

Once I didn't have every Sunday off anymore that was the final nail in the coffin. I did it for one year and had to use a few vacation days and trade the OT pay for regular pay just to watch a losing team. It wasn't worth losing about 1/3 of my vacation time, the hundreds of dollars a year in OT pay along with the hundreds of dollars a year it cost to attend every game. After that I just went to a game or two a year and last year I didn't attend any. The way our schedule fell there wasn't many early season games and it wasn't worth spending the money to attend a game in crappy weather to watch a meaningless game so I just stood pat.

I admire your fanhood as it stands.. Dang.

Mahdi
03-19-2013, 07:13 AM

Something everyone is forgetting here is that this has now become a social media society... message boards, twitter, facebook, websites etc. are all avenues where fans are now getting together and collectively voicing fan opinion.

The flip side of that is that NFL franchises, particularly ones like the Bills who depend heavily on season tickets and boxes, need to respond to that fan voice through the same avenues.

Chris Brown and his mates might not be the direct mouthpiece of the Bills, but you have to believe that almost everything he says or is allowed to say is coordinated by the FO. He is not just an outside journalist guessing at the intentions of the Bills. He knows exactly what is going on and has his orders.

So when Chris Brown says something, I put a lot of stock in it.

OpIv37
03-19-2013, 07:17 AM
Something everyone is forgetting here is that this has now become a social media society... message boards, twitter, facebook, websites etc. are all avenues where fans are now getting together and collectively voicing fan opinion.

The flip side of that is that NFL franchises, particularly ones like the Bills who depend heavily on season tickets and boxes, need to respond to that fan voice through the same avenues.

Chris Brown and his mates might not be the direct mouthpiece of the Bills, but you have to believe that almost everything he says or is allowed to say is coordinated by the FO. He is not just an outside journalist guessing at the intentions of the Bills. He knows exactly what is going on and has his orders.

So when Chris Brown says something, I put a lot of stock in it.
I think you came to a completely invalid conclusion here.

Public relations is the opposite of journalism. Journalism aims to find the real story whereas PR aims to present whomever they are representing in the most positive light possible.

You are right in that most, if not all, of what Chris Brown says, is approved by management. But that's a reason to DISTRUST him, not trust him. Sure, if he's giving something specific like terms of a new deal or a player about to be released, it's probably accurate because he wouldn't be allowed to say it if it wasn't true. But for things like this, it's nothing but spin to try to keep the team from looking foolish. Like you said, the team has to respond to fans via social media. The team has Chris Brown put their PR spin on it and then release it through social media. Chris Brown is connected but is by no means objective.

That's why you should take everything he says with a healthy degree of skepticism.

Mahdi
03-19-2013, 07:22 AM
I think you came to a completely invalid conclusion here.

Public relations is the opposite of journalism. Journalism aims to find the real story whereas PR aims to present whomever they are representing in the most positive light possible.

You are right in that most, if not all, of what Chris Brown says, is approved by management. But that's a reason to DISTRUST him, not trust him. Sure, if he's giving something specific like terms of a new deal or a player about to be released, it's probably accurate because he wouldn't be allowed to say it if it wasn't true. But for things like this, it's nothing but spin to try to keep the team from looking foolish. Like you said, the team has to respond to fans via social media. The team has Chris Brown put their PR spin on it and then release it through social media. Chris Brown is connected but is by no means objective.

That's why you should take everything he says with a healthy degree of skepticism.

You got me wrong. I'm not saying to trust him. I'm saying that what he says carries a lot of weight, whether its the truth or not. If he is lying then know that he is lying because something is up. If he is telling the truth then it comes from the source.

Basically what im saying is that he knows whats going on and its his job to make sure that we either know whats going on too or cover up the truth so that we don't know.

OpIv37
03-19-2013, 07:27 AM
You got me wrong. I'm not saying to trust him. I'm saying that what he says carries a lot of weight, whether its the truth or not. If he is lying then know that he is lying because something is up. If he is telling the truth then it comes from the source.

Basically what im saying is that he knows whats going on and its his job to make sure that we either know whats going on too or cover up the truth so that we don't know.

Fair enough. I agree with that.

Or to say it more simply, Chris Brown traded objectivity for access.

k-oneputt
03-19-2013, 07:45 AM
In his defense you gotta remember who's signing his paycheck.
What do you expect him to put out there ?
He tells us what the front office wants to be known.

OpIv37
03-19-2013, 07:54 AM

Like I said, he traded objectivity for access. He knows more about the Bills than any other reporter, but in order to have that insider access, he has to toe the company line and he gave up the right to give his own opinion if/when it differs from the official comments from OBD.

Where it gets tricky is that the team makes it look like he's a reporter, giving him a blog and TV news-looking reports on the Internet. They want to make it look like a news report when it's really PR. And yes, I'm well aware that it's not just the Bills that do it. Companies and political parties have put together ads that look like news reports for decades. Back in the old newspaper days, sometimes there were ads designed to look like articles in the paper hoping that people would think they were news instead of PR from a company. But the point is to remember that anything coming from Brown is going to have good information with bad spin.

SABURZFAN
03-19-2013, 04:52 PM

jump through the hoop, Brownie.... GOOD BOY!!!!! (pat on the head)

Jeff1220
03-20-2013, 05:43 PM
In his defense, I'd probably take the job if it was offered to me.

BillsFever21
03-20-2013, 07:47 PM
I admire your fanhood as it stands.. Dang.

I had season tickets and didn't miss a live game for about a decade along with going to at least a couple games a year for 18 years. Just because somebody doesn't feel the team is worthy enough to spend a thousand dollars on, lose hundreds more in OT and lose the vacation days and spend their time to attend every game of every season to see this crap doesn't make them any less of a fan.

If you think your fanhood is depended on drinking the Kool-Aid and blindly following a failed team and wasting money that could be saved, invested or used for other things then there are many lousy fans in the NFL. If that was the case then everyone would be kicking down the door for tickets at every stadium let alone the Bills. There is a reason why the Bills are lucky to sell out 5 home games a year lately.

It was hard enough just to give the tickets away. I would buy a pair of tickets and towards the end of the season I was lucky to be able to even give the ticket away for somebody to go. It's pretty bad when people didn't even want free tickets. So yeah it wasn't worth spending about $1,500 a year between my ticket, the few tickets I gave away, gas, parking, concessions, hundreds of dollars of lost pay from work along with the vacation days just to watch us get blown out of most of the games anymore.

My fanhood is proven by sitting there every game for the worst decade in our history. If not being willing anymore to give up all the money and lost vacation time to use at other points in the year makes me less of a fan in your eyes then I guess I'm not a fan of the Bills.