• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • X-Era
    What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
    • Feb 2005

The draft and the QB's

Intrigue will surround the Bills in the draft this year because we all know they will be drafting a QB, are likely to even start the rookie, and it's highly likely we will draft one early.

Will Geno Smith or Matt Barkley fall to us at 8? Will both?
    Will Tyler Wilson be our choice at 8?
    Will we move back up from the second round to draft Ryan Nassib? Do we need to?

Let's look at who needs QB's and who's picking in front of us:

KC- No, Alex Smith assured us they won't do it in round 1. Round 2 may still be possible.
    Oakland- Maybe, but it really depends on what they do with Carson Palmer
    Jaguars- Maybe, really depends on whether they will risk the egg on their face by giving up on Gabbert so early
    Eagles- No, but apparently Chip Kelly may want a prospect to develop. I still think they won't draft a QB in the 1st.
    Cards- Yes, I don't see the legit starter that makes them think they can just ignore it.
    Browns- Maybe to yes, Another situation where they would be giving up on a guy they took early just a few years ago

Teams after us with QB needs:

Jets- They are in the market and it's the Jets who traded up for a one year college wonder in Sanchez. They will be drafting one.

So we have 5 teams in front of us who may be interested in round 1 (KC is out). 7 teams total that could take one before our 2nd round pick. One thing that's likely is that no team will take 2 in the first 2 rounds. So it may be 14 spots to watch but really it's 7 teams since no one will take 2. 7 is really the magic number.

To me, the Bills are probably thinking 4 prospects are worthy to be drafted by their 2nd rounder. Geno, Barkley, Wilson, and Nassib.

So 7 teams before our 2nd rounder and 4 players. It's possible that if we wait until our 2nd rounder all will be gone. But the odds aren't terrible.

But, if we want to take one at 8, we will are almost guaranteed to get one of the top 4. Unless all 5 teams take a QB which I think is highly unlikely to almost guaranteed not to happen.

I think the Bills will not move up from 8. They may move down but finding a willing partner may be tough. And the Jets need a QB as well and are right behind us.

My gut tells me this:

Geno Smith and Matt Barkley won't fall to 8. I think it's 50/50 on one of them being there and 50/50 on who. I think teams may like Barkley better as a pro-style passer. And if a team like the Cards thinks that way, Barkley may get drafted before Geno. The opposite is also true. Teams like the Eagles or Raiders may love Geno's athleticism and see that Geno is not a run first QB like but is patient enough in going through progressions as a passer. Barkley may fall to us.

Tyler Wilson will be there and may be the choice. I think that he will be there but we still may go another direction. And that if we don't take Wilson at 8 we will move down in the 1st or up from the 2nd for Nassib.

I think it's either Tyler Wilson at 8 or a move down or up into the later 1st for Nassib.

One of those 2 QB's will be our next QB.

Just my guess.
    Last edited by X-Era; 03-16-2013, 09:12 AM.

• better days
    • Jan 2010

Re: The draft and the QB's

Originally posted by X-Era View Post
    Intrigue will surround the Bills in the draft this year because we all know they will be drafting a QB, are likely to even start the rookie, and it's highly likely we will draft one early.

Will Geno Smith or Matt Barkley fall to us at 8? Will both?
    Will Tyler Wilson be our choice at 8?
    Will we move back up from the second round to draft Ryan Nassib? Do we need to?

Let's look at who needs QB's and who's picking in front of us:

KC- No, Alex Smith assured us they won't do it in round 1. Round 2 may still be possible.
    Oakland- Maybe, but it really depends on what they do with Carson Palmer
    Jaguars- Maybe, really depends on whether they will risk the egg on their face by giving up on Gabbert so early
    Eagles- No, but apparently Chip Kelly may want a prospect to develop. I still think they won't draft a QB in the 1st.
    Cards- Yes, I don't see the legit starter that makes them think they can just ignore it.
    Browns- Maybe to yes, Another situation where they would be giving up on a guy they took early just a few years ago

Teams after us with QB needs:

Jets- They are in the market and it's the Jets who traded up for a one year college wonder in Sanchez. They will be drafting one.

So we have 5 teams in front of us who may be interested in round 1 (KC is out). 7 teams total that could take one before our 2nd round pick. One thing that's likely is that no team will take 2 in the first 2 rounds. So it may be 14 spots to watch but really it's 7 teams since no one will take 2. 7 is really the magic number.

To me, the Bills are probably thinking 4 prospects are worthy to be drafted by their 2nd rounder. Geno, Barkley, Wilson, and Nassib.

So 7 teams before our 2nd rounder and 4 players. It's possible that if we wait until our 2nd rounder all will be gone. But the odds aren't terrible.

But, if we want to take one at 8, we will are almost guaranteed to get one of the top 4. Unless all 5 teams take a QB which I think is highly unlikely to almost guaranteed not to happen.

I think the Bills will not move up from 8. They may move down but finding a willing partner may be tough. And the Jets need a QB as well and are right behind us.

My gut tells me this:

Geno Smith and Matt Barkley won't fall to 8. I think it's 50/50 on one of them being there and 50/50 on who. I think teams may like Barkley better as a pro-style passer. And if a team like the Cards thinks that way, Barkley may get drafted before Geno. The opposite is also true. Teams like the Eagles or Raiders may love Geno's athleticism and see that Geno is not a run first QB like but is patient enough in going through progressions as a passer. Barkley may fall to us.

Tyler Wilson will be there and may be the choice. I think that he will be there but we still may go another direction. And that if we don't take Wilson at 8 we will move down in the 1st or up from the 2nd for Nassib.

I think it's either Tyler Wilson at 8 or a move down or up into the later 1st for Nassib.

One of those 2 QB's will be our next QB.

Just my guess.
    I think it is very possible for the Raiders to draft Geno & the Cards to draft Barkley. If that happens, the Bills need to draft their QB at 8 because as you said, many teams need a QB.

I would not be surprised to see the Bucs draft a QB in the 2nd rnd, maybe move up to the top of the 2nd to get one.

Comment

• X-Era
      • Feb 2005

Originally posted by better days View Post
      I think it is very possible for the Raiders to draft Geno & the Cards to draft Barkley. If that happens, the Bills need to draft their QB at 8 because as you said, many teams need a QB.

I would not be surprised to see the Bucs draft a QB in the 2nd rnd, maybe move up to the top of the 2nd to get one.
      I think the Buc's are a fringe team for a QB. I don't take them very seriously as looking at a QB in an early round.

Comment

• better days
        • Jan 2010

I think the Buc's are a fringe team for a QB. I don't take them very seriously as looking at a QB in an early round.
        I agree they are a fringe team for a QB, but I think it is possible.

Comment

• Albany,n.y.
          • Jul 2002

So if the top 2 QBs are gone, you want the team to draft one of the remaining slugs in a weak QB draft with the 8th pick because another team below us might be crazy enough to reach for a guy who has no business being taken in the 1st round? That doesn't make a lot of sense. It reminds me of the time the Jets were desperate to draft Brett Favre & didn't have a 1st round pick. They went crazy trying to trade up from their 2nd round pick & failed to find a trade partner. Farve was drafted 1 pick before them. So, they decided to just draft the next QB on their board, Browning Nagle. Or the time the Bills wanted to trade up for Ben Roethlisberger & couldn't find a trade partner, so later in the 1st round they moved up to draft JP Losman.
          When a team can't draft the QB they want, the worst thing they can do is just move down their board & draft the next QB with their next pick regardless of the difference in talent between the 2. If Smith & Barkley are gone by #8, the last thing the Bills should do is draft a QB there just because other teams also need a QB. At that point the only thing to do is take a flyer later in the draft & if the guy doesn't play lights out in camp & win the job, wait until next year's draft/free agency.
          The Bills have screwed up so many opportunities in the past decade, that it's better to wait another year than make a move that is a panic move just because the retiring GM wants to get the team a QB before he leaves. When Peyton Manning went off the board at #1, it didn't make Ryan Leaf his equal just because he was the next QB available-that's the reality of the NFL draft-when a player gets drafted, there may be a huge dropoff to the next guy available. Only the bad teams jump on the next guy just because he won't be available the next time they pick.

Comment

• X-Era
            • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Albany,n.y. View Post
            So if the top 2 QBs are gone, you want the team to draft one of the remaining slugs in a weak QB draft with the 8th pick because another team below us might be crazy enough to reach for a guy who has no business being taken in the 1st round? That doesn't make a lot of sense. It reminds me of the time the Jets were desperate to draft Brett Favre & didn't have a 1st round pick. They went crazy trying to trade up from their 2nd round pick & failed to find a trade partner. Farve was drafted 1 pick before them. So, they decided to just draft the next QB on their board, Browning Nagle. Or the time the Bills wanted to trade up for Ben Roethlisberger & couldn't find a trade partner, so later in the 1st round they moved up to draft JP Losman.
            When a team can't draft the QB they want, the worst thing they can do is just move down their board & draft the next QB with their next pick regardless of the difference in talent between the 2. If Smith & Barkley are gone by #8, the last thing the Bills should do is draft a QB there just because other teams also need a QB. At that point the only thing to do is take a flyer later in the draft & if the guy doesn't play lights out in camp & win the job, wait until next year's draft/free agency.
            The Bills have screwed up so many opportunities in the past decade, that it's better to wait another year than make a move that is a panic move just because the retiring GM wants to get the team a QB before he leaves. When Peyton Manning went off the board at #1, it didn't make Ryan Leaf his equal just because he was the next QB available-that's the reality of the NFL draft-when a player gets drafted, there may be a huge dropoff to the next guy available. Only the bad teams jump on the next guy just because he won't be available the next time they pick.
            So if some other team wants to draft one of the two guys before our 2nd rounder were crazy?

Every year we go through this. The other teams determine where players will be drafted as much as we do.

If you don't feel any QB is worthy of either of our top two picks, you're entitled. But other teams and probably the Bills disagree with you. No one is crazy. That's the way it is and the teams determine that, not the fans.

The Bills won't be moving up for one of the other two because other teams need QB's. They will be moving up to ensure they get on of the guys they want this year.

And I don't see any huge drop off's this year. The top 4 guys are not too dis-similar in grade IMO.

Put it this way. The part that seems to make no sense to you has nothing to do with what the Bills may do to get one of the other top 2 QB's. It has to do with ANY team drafting any of the other 2 in the 1st round... You have an issue with where these players will get drafted vs. where you think they should be drafted.

And my point is the league overdrafts QB's almost every year and if you want one early you are sometimes forced to overdraft one like everyone else. Just the way it is. I don't really like it any more than you do. I just accept it.
            Last edited by X-Era; 03-16-2013, 10:14 AM.

Comment

• better days
              • Jan 2010

Originally posted by Albany,n.y. View Post
              It would make no sense to draft a slug at #8. Nix has said however two or three QBs could be GOOD QBs in this class. If he thinks that the 3rd QB could be GOOD, then it makes all the sense in the world to draft him at #8.

Comment

• X-Era
                • Feb 2005

It would make no sense to draft a slug at #8. Nix has said however two or three QBs could be GOOD QBs in this class. If he thinks that the 3rd QB could be GOOD, then it makes all the sense in the world to draft him at #8.
                I don't remember him saying just three. I thought he said a few.

Comment

• better days
                  • Jan 2010

I don't remember him saying just three. I thought he said a few.
                  He may have said that at another time. I know in one interview I heard, he said that he thought 2 or 3 QBs in this class could seperate themselves from the rest, become good QBs & win a lot of games.

Comment

• X-Era
                    • Feb 2005

He may have said that at another time. I know in one interview I heard, he said that he thought 2 or 3 QBs in this class could seperate themselves from the rest, become good QBs & win a lot of games.
                    I'll research it... I'm bored.

Comment

• SABURZFAN
                      short bus extraordinaire
                      • Jul 2002

if the Bills draft a QB at #8, it'll probably be TWO decades the Bills don't reach the playoffs.
                      Originally posted by yordad
                      Christ, you are the queerest person in the history of Bills fanhood. I swear to god I would stomp you.

Comment

• Mike
                        • Jan 2009

Originally posted by SABURZFAN View Post
                        if the Bills draft a QB at #8, it'll probably be TWO decades the Bills don't reach the playoffs.
                        Lol.. At least some fans will be happy that a QB was drafted never mind if he was deserving of the selection. Its often best not to rush things and make choices out of desperation. If the girl you really wanted moved out of town, would you settle down with a the crazy girl who has had a crush on your for years, or would you wait for the right one?
                        Please Make Sense

Comment

• Swiper
                          • Sep 2010

I think it all depends on how many QBs are taken before their pick at #8.

Comment

• X-Era
                            • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Mike View Post
                            Lol.. At least some fans will be happy that a QB was drafted never mind if he was deserving of the selection. Its often best not to rush things and make choices out of desperation. If the girl you really wanted moved out of town, would you settle down with a the crazy girl who has had a crush on your for years, or would you wait for the right one?
                            I don't know. Ask the Fins:

Sage Rosenfels
                            John Beck
                            Chad Henne
                            Ryan Tannehill

...I guess the woman you really wanted moved back into town. But the jury's till out as to whether she's crazy.

Comment

• YardRat
                              Well, lookie here...
                              • Dec 2004

Still think (OK, admittedly somewhat hoping) the reach is in the second round, not the first.
                              YardRat Wall of Fame
                              #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                              #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

Working...
                              X